• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 308 carbine scope *UPDATED OP*

nuclear_shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2013
Putting together a .308 carbine (16" barrel). Looking for a good scope to match the versatility of the rifle, and I'm not looking to spend more than $800 (might be able to stretch it to $1k). I'm thinking a 2.5-10x would be perfect. The general range is 50-900 yards.

Okay so here is a rundown on the scopes I'm considering:

Viper PST 2.5-10x32 FFP Riflescope:
EBR-1 FFP
Illuminated
Eye relief: 4 in
86 MOA elevation adjustment
Side parallax adjustment
Weight: 18.7 oz
$799 on Optics Planet
Warranty: Unlimited Lifetime Warranty

Burris XTR II 2-10x42mm
G2B FFP
Not illuminated?
Eye relief: 3.5in - 4.25in
90 MOA elevation adjustment
Side parallax adjustment
Weight: 22.7 oz
$799 on Optics Planet
Warranty: Burris Unconditional Forever Warranty

Bushnell Elite Tactical 3-12x44
G2DMR FFP
Illuminated?
Eye relief: 3.74 in
83 MOA elevation adjustment
Side parallax adjustment
Weight: 24.4 oz
$789 on Optics Planet
Warranty: Bulletproof warranty

SWFA SS 3-15x42
Mil-Quad Reticle FFP
Not illuminated
Eye relief: 4.2 - 3.8 in
120 MOA elevation adjustment
Side parallax adjustment
Weight: 24 oz
$699 on SWFA (Optics Planet does not sell)

All the scopes are about the same cost and in terms of features (not sure how much I will use illumination, which the Burris lacks I think) and cost. Any thoughts or things I missed? How is the quality of the glass on each compare?

Last edited:
I second the Bushnell Elite Tactical. I run the 2.5x16x42 on both my ar10s I like the magnification range its not FFP but I do not range or use hold overs with the recital so for me it doesn't matter. I think it comes in mill/mill, but mine are moa/mil if you look real hard you can find them in the upper $500 range used and mid $600 new. SWFA has them for $829.

I'm not big on FFP low magnification scopes.

If you're topping off at 10 or 12 power, then a SFP would probably work very well for your purposes.
Sightron makes a very nice 3.5-10 in both mil/mil and moa/moa.

I'm using a Leupold Mark 6 1X6 on my Colt 901. Just "throwing that out there" I know it's out of your price range, but something to consider?

I'm using a Leupold Mark 6 1X6 on my Colt 901. Just "throwing that out there" I know it's out of your price range, but something to consider?

I'll keep that in mind for the future. When I get a full time job (I'm a grad student currently) I'll be upgrading all my glass. Hell, I shouldn't even be buying all the guns I've been buying lately, but gotta get em while the gettin's good.

I have this optic (XTRII 2-10) on my 6.5PCC. I am very pleased with the features and especially the glass. Would give it a hearty thumbs up for your purpose. Good thing is, in your price range and you won't have to "upgrade" as Burris already put a lot of value into the optic.

I was originally looking at the 1.5-8x but it only comes with the 5.56 drop reticle. What a shame.

We have been getting great feedback on the Burris XTR II.

Here my setup
10525905_768269443215571_2186290414608533730_n.jpg

148605_768269466548902_8930644633000350521_n.jpg

I just sold my FFP IOR 1.5-8 trident in favor of a Vortex Razor II 1-6. I really liked the quality and reticle on the IOR, I just made the decision this summer to standardize on all MOA/MOA scopes...

I've also been planning to build a .308 carbine and have been looking at the SWFA 3x9 and 3x15. Might be worth a look, solid warranty and good reputation ( at least for the 3x9).

I'll keep that in mind for the future. When I get a full time job (I'm a grad student currently) I'll be upgrading all my glass. Hell, I shouldn't even be buying all the guns I've been buying lately, but gotta get em while the gettin's good.

There are plenty of scopes that'll work for under a grand

SWFA 3-9
Leupold M2/M3
Vortex PST
Sightron SIII

Keep your eyes on the classified section and you'll find one for a deal.

For example:

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/optics-sale/264296-2-5-8-mark-4-a.html

Bushnell's warranty is not 1 year.
The bulletproof part of the warranty is 1 year

Could you link your source on this? I couldn't find one. Its not that I don't believe you, but I would like to compare. I put the ? cause I couldn't find a good source on it, and would like to read/compare the details.

Last edited:
In that price range either the Bushnel 3-12 or the SWFA 3-15.

The bushnell is not illuminated but its FFP with G2 reticle. That would be my choice.

Everything else equal, I was leaning toward the Vortex, its 1/3 lbs lighter. This assumes of course that the glass is roughly equivalent. All seem well reviewed but its hard to get a comparison between other similar scopes. Nope shops around here carry them, so I can't lay hands myself.

I was originally looking at the 1.5-8x but it only comes with the 5.56 drop reticle. What a shame.

according to burris its for both 5.56 and 7.62? Not sure on the details.

"XTR II Ballistic 5.56 Gen 3 Reticle

The XTR II Ballistic 5.56 Gen 3 reticle is a true daylight visible reticle that helps shooters achieve maximum accuracy with 5.56/.223 and 7.62/.308 ammunition. Available in either a Rear Focal Plane or Dual Focal Plane configuration, the illuminated “broken circle” allows for fast close-range acquisition while left and right mil hash marks aid in engaging difficult shots in crosswinds and at extended long ranges."

XTR II Ballistic 5.56 Gen 3 reticle - rifle scopes, handgun scopes, hunting scopes by Burris Optics

Putting together a .308 carbine (16" barrel). Looking for a good scope to match the versatility of the rifle, and I'm not looking to spend more than $800 (might be able to stretch it to $1k). I'm thinking a 2.5-10x would be perfect. The general range is 50-900 yards.

Okay so here is a rundown on the scopes I'm considering:

Viper PST 2.5-10x32 FFP Riflescope:

Burris XTR II 2-10x42mm

Bushnell Elite Tactical 3-12x44

SWFA SS 3-15x42

All four are fine options. I've owned the PST and Bushnell, and the Burris Veracity 2-10x which I believe has basically the same glass as the XTRII 2-10x. For your 50-900 yards usage I think a 3-12 or 3-15x would be a better choice. I've done pretty well with a 3x scope at five, yes five (5.0) yards when I forget to switch my 1-4x back to 1x in a carbine stage. Beyond 15 or so yards I'm generally happiest with 3x or more magnification even running the 1-4x. On the flip side I've found 12x barely adequate at 600 yards on paper, so I'd really want a lot more than 10x when shooting 900 yards. YMMV of course. Clarity also matters more than magnification, but there are very small differences in clarity among the scopes you've asked about.

The PST has nice illumination, but I don't think you will miss illumination if you go with another.

Those are all pretty comparable for glass as well. The PST line generally is just OK, but that particular PST is the best of the line. The Bushnell has very sharp glass with a little chromatic aberration (not bad). The Veracity, assuming it's the same as the XTRII glass, is also very good but right about comparable to that model PST and Bushnell.

If you're willing to stretch to $1k you could get a Bushnell LRHS 3-12x44, which has about the same specs but more features (10 mil turret with zero stop) and better glass/coatings than the basic 3-12x or any other scope in your list.

Thanks for the advice and options guys. I think I'm gonna save up till January, see how much $$$ I got at that point, and probably get one of the Bushnell scopes!