• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

375 Cheytac flattening Fed 215s

I really agree with everything @j-huskey said with the exception of the following... I don't believe he is giving the 375 cheytac enough credit on distance. My 32" 1:7 twist with the 400 grain laser had no problem reaching out to 4400 yards. Yes the wind pushes it around a little more than the 550 laser in the .416, but on a semi-mild wind day it held it's own!

I really agree with everything @j-huskey said with the exception of the following... I don't believe he is giving the 375 cheytac enough credit on distance. My 32" 1:7 twist with the 400 grain laser had no problem reaching out to 4400 yards. Yes the wind pushes it around a little more than the 550 laser in the .416, but on a semi-mild wind day it held it's own!

I really like your response. It is most informative.

My experience with a 10 and 9.5 will not allow me the same latitude you have with the 7 twist and 400 laser.

So, between us, we can give KC an idea of reasonable expectations.

I should have been more detailed on twist and bullet. My bad.

And thank you!

I believe his 8 twist and 353 LeHighs with the right powder should get him pretty easy to 3500. But..... I dont know that.... best guess.

My backup barrel is 1-8. Should be able to handle 375-400gr bullets

Just for information purposes, on mfg suggested twist rates.

20200327_125724.jpg

And add @Geno C. 's real world 10 twist experience, my personal thoughts have been at least one twist rate faster based on other caliber experience and what experiences people like @MACHTECH share with us.
Moving on...

And this a.m., just to not let the beer virus win.... just sayin...

20200327_123626.jpg

I would agree with the one inch faster twist to make it through transonic zone with the cutting edge bullets. Before that though, they shot extremely small groups for me. This is a coldbore and 2 follow up shots at 909yrds
56A8C8FA-1F0F-4316-B19E-FBD3A0FAF585.jpeg

Ive had some decent results so far at 2 miles with the 350 Lazers out of a 10 twist 29" barrel. Barrel only has 120 some rounds on it, but once I shoot it out, Ill be switching to a faster twist and longer barrel to get into the heavier pills.

Will be out shooting 2+ miles here in the next 3 weeks, so hopefully get some more good data to share on that combo afterwards. Went from a modest 125gr Retumbo load to 130gr so Ill see what that does for me. The 125gr load shot the smallest 5 round group at .38 but the 130gr load was in the middle of a 129-131 spot that shot 5 round groups at .40-.42. So Ill take the little extra velocity and see how that helps at 2 miles and the further targets.

I might mention that one thing that would help to determine powder speed is the filling ratio, A cheytac can hold around 155-160 grains of powder without compressing the powder when you push the bullet in ,which can vary from bullet to bullet too. So if you are using a faster powder you have less powder and a big airspace, which is not good for accuracy. When a big airspace of the powder is at the front when ignited it can have a significant pressure change verses powder at the back of the case which ultimately can cause a change of point of impact. This is only one reason to use the slowest powder on the charts. When you do your powder work up think of it this way the slower the powder the more velocity with less pressure. if the powder is too slow your case would run out of room before your velocites came up and you saw pressure but if you are using too fast of a burn rate [h1000]you have a big airspace and you are in to pressures way before you see the speed. The trick on any cartridge is to have a good fill ratio of around 90% with the right speed of powder , however not near or at compressed either . The good thing in this case there is no slower powder normally available and Hodgdon H50 and Alliant Reloader 50 just happens to be the perfect speed of burn to fill up the case to 90% which helps to maintain a consistent burn for level velocities and get killer speeds before pressure was observed. Good luck to all and hope it helps

Timintx

*update* the good news is I found some RL50 and US869 it’s on order. I found it thru Grafs but they are like a week out in their shipping dept. and that’s not for hazmat orders. Stupid panic buying messing with my gun habits. Not sure if I messed up buying us869 but seeing how H50 has been discontinued I didn’t want to mess with something I would not be able to use long term. PS these are 1#ers also.

*update* the good news is I found some RL50 and US869 it’s on order. I found it thru Grafs but they are like a week out in their shipping dept. and that’s not for hazmat orders. Stupid panic buying messing with my gun habits. Not sure if I messed up buying us869 but seeing how H50 has been discontinued I didn’t want to mess with something I would not be able to use long term. PS these are 1#ers also.
H50bmg hasn’t been discontinued

Wow thatS good news then! I like the idea of it due to its temp stability. Why do you think that rumor started ?

I think the "rumor" started because Hodgdon announced that they were discontinuing the powder about a year or so ago. As far as I know its no longer available. If it is I'd like to know too.....lots of things that would use it instead of something else in the shop. Can't get any IMR 5010 anymore and it was a wonderful powder for the 338 lapua mag and others. H50BMG was about the only equivalent.

Frank

Side bar -Hodgdon is an Australian/Winchester owner company I wonder if the fires are causing issues with Retumbo and H1k coming in? I also read here in the US we get the majority of the powder from Canada...?

Just sent my Cadex Shadow .375ct off to Vestals Custom Rifles today. I am going with the same set up as before. Bartlein 32 in 1-7 twist barrel. I will be shooting CE 400 Lazer with N570. The load i used was 131.5 of N570, 215m, Peterson Brass. I was able to get 2960 AVG with an SD of 7.8. This set up was good out to 3090 yards and I have no doubt it will work a 2 miles.

@geno C.

PLEASE BRING US UP TO DATE.

View attachment 7285615View attachment 7285617

PLEASE GIVE US THE GOOD NEWS AND WHERE TO FIND ?
The rumors even got me back then. There was a shipment into the US last spring. Myself and a few others I shoot with got some then. If I were to guess; I figure it will show again this spring. It’s about like any powder these days. The stuff is out of stock for 6 months to a year, then we get a shipment and it’s all cleared out again.

I spoke to Hodgdon a couple of weeks ago and was told H50BMG is being made again and a couple of shipments had already been sent to distributors. Since it is still “out of stock” at most outlets one can only assume it was bought quickly when it arrived; hopefully the next shipment will stay on the shelf a little longer so those of us who only get on the computer once or twice a day can locate and purchase some.

I spoke to Hodgdon a couple of weeks ago and was told H50BMG is being made again and a couple of shipments had already been sent to distributors. Since it is still “out of stock” at most outlets one can only assume it was bought quickly when it arrived; hopefully the next shipment will stay on the shelf a little longer so those of us who only get on the computer once or twice a day can locate and purchase some.
I got mine from Midsouth last time and it was in stock for about a week

Reactions: KCORBIN
Just sent my Cadex Shadow .375ct off to Vestals Custom Rifles today. I am going with the same set up as before. Bartlein 32 in 1-7 twist barrel. I will be shooting CE 400 Lazer with N570. The load i used was 131.5 of N570, 215m, Peterson Brass. I was able to get 2960 AVG with an SD of 7.8. This set up was good out to 3090 yards and I have no doubt it will work a 2 miles.
That so weird N570 has about the same burn rate as H1k and I can’t get near that with out smashing the heck out of primers

That so weird N570 has about the same burn rate as H1k and I can’t get near that with out smashing the heck out of primers

Retumbo in the go to powder. This chart puts retumbo 2 levels slower than h1k, and n570 3 levels slower.

Screenshot_20200330-175002_Gallery.jpg

This matches our experiences related to you here.
vr

So do you think I went too far with 869? I only grabbed 2lbs to play with so that will go fast I guess

Would be interesting as well, to compare KC and Gixxer2000's fire case dimensions to see how close the chambers are.
Would be a bit more data.

So do you think I went too far with 869? I only grabbed 2lbs to play with so that will go fast I guess

Bear in mind the attached post. 869 is a bit slower than bmg50.
Note Chris said a "full full" case. You will be experimenting.

Attached:
20200330_185433.jpg

I Will take some measurements once the powder shows up and start playing. I resized all my brass other wise I’d post them. I can’t believe the difference in reamers that are out there. But it’s my first experience with a “wild cat” cartridge.
The main reason I didn’t want to jump to a 416 was the lack of support And available material but now I’m thinking maybe I should have just taken the plunge. I couldn’t justify spending 5+k on a DT and burn a barrel out and try and figure out how to get another one. The price for the bigger calibers is just insane. 5 -11 k for a rifle that gets the same type of machine work a Remington 700 would get only bigger.
But maybe that’s why I’m in position I’m in now rant over I digress.

I just ordered an 8 pounder of 24N41 to do some testing on 33xc and 375 cheytac. I'll keep you posted on the outcome. I just loaded a bunch of 416 Barrett Match with 20N29 that we're going to test tomorrow morning. I just can't find N570 or I'd be trying that as well.

crux of the ELR world is not many of the components, but the lack of new powders.
US869 will give you some wild wild swings.

50 BMG is the powder. Be patient because it will be worth it. RL50 has some wild temp stability numbers. 50bmg is .7-.8 FPS per degree.
24N41 is .9 FPS per degree. Lot dependent.
Watch out using N570.... I’ve personally seen hang fires with the 375.
Good Luck and even better shooting
Chris Schmidt
Tennessee
IG: ChrisSchmidt_ELR

Bear in mind the attached post. 869 is a bit slower than bmg50.
Note Chris said a "full full" case. You will be experimenting.

Attached:
View attachment 7286025

@MATCHTECH is it a reflection or is it common to cheytacs to have this mark on them? Mine chamber leaves the same mark on the brass. I had my gun smith fix it, I noticed it on another fired round from another picture from another shooter. I thought my smith didn’t have proper pressure on oil supply on the reamer gouged it with a chip

Attachments

• 084BA1DC-F8F3-4108-B30C-4979899646A1.jpeg
    084BA1DC-F8F3-4108-B30C-4979899646A1.jpeg
    274.9 KB · Views: 48
Another example....Texas shooter I assume?

Attachments

• EC2D192E-B0A8-4C03-B223-402969286200.jpeg
    EC2D192E-B0A8-4C03-B223-402969286200.jpeg
    109.3 KB · Views: 529
@MATCHTECH is it a reflection or is it common to cheytacs to have this mark on them? Mine chamber leaves the same mark on the brass. I had my gun smith fix it, I noticed it on another fired round from another picture from another shooter. I thought my smith didn’t have proper pressure on oil supply on the reamer gouged it with a chip
Not really sure. I just went out and looked at that. It is a mark, but that is an unfired dummy round. None of my fired brass have it and some are on their 7th reloading.

On the Peterson brass in the plastic box, it's the vibration ride mark where the brass meets the top of the slot. And with other plastic shell boxes. Vibrate it enough, have mark. Ground shipping is enough vibration.

crux of the ELR world is not many of the components, but the lack of new powders.
US869 will give you some wild wild swings.

50 BMG is the powder. Be patient because it will be worth it. RL50 has some wild temp stability numbers. 50bmg is .7-.8 FPS per degree.
24N41 is .9 FPS per degree. Lot dependent.
Watch out using N570.... I’ve personally seen hang fires with the 375.
Good Luck and even better shooting
Chris Schmidt
Tennessee
IG: ChrisSchmidt_ELR

I've had some hang fires but, traced it to a couple of Federal lots. Got a couple that hang fire with Retumbo, VV570, and BMG50 .... some more so in cold weather.
And got a couple more lots that do not hang fire with the same powders.

The ES/SD is higher in the hangfire lots, than the other lots.

Those magnum primers have worked ok, in the 7rm, 300wm, 300sm, saum, hunting loads with the less than desirable es/sd.

Yes, it's been a day or two since I bought new primers..... still working on 10+ year old lots. I may be in for an ugly surprise when I restock. I know this.

The chatter at the 2 mile last year was folks using 570 were seeing hang fires in the cooler temps -60 I know our WI crew using RL33 and Federals never seen this on the Snipetacs I have no issues with 20n29 in my Warner 416 and 550 Flat Lines.

Oneshot

The chatter at the 2 mile last year was folks using 570 were seeing hang fires in the cooler temps -60 I know our WI crew using RL33 and Federals never seen this on the Snipetacs I have no issues with 20n29 in my Warner 416 and 550 Flat Lines.

Oneshot

Jeff
Six team rifles ... all with N570 in the morning and late in the afternoon with hang fires, and we weren’t using a hvy 375 variant projectile. 400’s would be even worse.
It didn’t matter what time of day.

Oneshot
There was one with hangfires with RL33 and federal primers. Pretty sure it was a primer problem though; whether it was them not seated completely or a bad lot.

I been running N570 in my 375ct with 400 gr Lazer's and have never had an issue. The only one not to go boom was the primer i seated backwards ...lol
I shot over 500 rounds in temps from 40 to 60 with 0 hang fires. I got the rifle in April 2019 and just sent it to be rebarreled. I put over 1200 rounds total with 0 issues.

They state out of stock and overdue still
Hi Geno. Yes, they sold out in minutes. I tried to set up another account from my wife's phone and the 5 minutes it took they were out. Keep an eye out at other places though. Usually when one place gets it, the others do too.

Reactions: Geno C.
My recent order from them shipped today.

I plan on building a bigger caliber rifle this year.
I should probably buy some appropriate powder the next time I see it and sit on it in the meantime

Seen all the debate on H50BMG......... well if you react fast enough it’s available again as we speak. PVS

Oneshot.onehit

Reactions: Geno C.