• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

3D Printer! Let the fun begin!

error4o4

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2010
NE KS, USA
A good friend ordered a Makerbot Replicator 2 a few weeks ago. This model prints in PLA with a maximum resolution of 100 microns within a print volume of 11.2 in x 6 in x 6.1 in. It finally arrived yesterday, so we spent a couple hours last night setting it up and printing a couple samples. Set up was super easy, the calibration process is well documented and really only consists of adjusting the print surface to match the horizontal movement of the extruder head. More info: https://store.makerbot.com/replicator2.html

In its new home and plugged in:
20130116_221717.jpg

Top view of the print surface:
20130116_221659.jpg

The interface is very user friendly. The setup steps detailed in the manual are also displayed on the lcd display.
20130116_221712.jpg

Video of first print:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/OrLaQXvoSeN2TfKqVWHEENMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

The first item we printed was a chain with 5 links. Here are a few pictures of it's progression, taken after the previous video.
20130116_223847.jpg

20130116_224151%25280%2529.jpg

20130116_224353.jpg

Finished!
20130116_224613.jpg

The estimated production time for this piece was listed as 15 minutes, but it was finished in 11. The next item, a paired nut and bolt was listed as 55 minutes, iirc, and was completed in 22. Well ahead of schedule, I'm not sure why this is. We noticed that that makerbot logo engraved on the print surface was also visible on the links of the chain. For this reason, we inverted the print surface for the nut and bolt. It's surface isn't as smooth, so the finished parts stuck a bit more, but the logos didn't influence the surface finish.

Finished nut and bolt:
20130116_231933.jpg

Re: 3D Printer! Let the fun begin!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tyler_s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those are neat been looking at them on you tube. What are you gonna try and make with it </div></div>

We don't have grand plans yet, but I'm a Senior in a Mechanical Engineering program, and the printers owner is a Software Architect. Needless to say, I'm sure nerds like us won't let it sit idle very much. :-D

I've posted this thread on a couple other forums and have already had requests to print some objects. One individual would like models of products his business manufactures for use at trade shows, etc. Another is an artist that is interested in transforming his 2D art into 3D. Both should be exciting if they pan out.

When are you gonna start selling lowers?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NMMX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When are you gonna start selling lowers? </div></div>

I wish. There is a project online to print receivers, ar's included. It's been done, but the material isn't very strong. Also, this method of printing (extrusion) creates weaknesses between the layers. The prototype I saw online failed after 6 rounds or something. Check out defcad.org.

Supposedly 150,000 people have already downloaded the software to print out 30rd AR mags.

We've been looking into printing mags, but I think the material is too brittle. I think we would break a lot of feed lips, but I think we're going to give it a shot anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: error4o4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We've been looking into printing mags, but I think the material is too brittle. I think we would break a lot of feed lips, but I think we're going to give it a shot anyway. </div></div>

With the extrusion printers you can embed stuff into them, so you could put metal feed lips into it by stopping the print halfway, setting a stamped sheet in place, and then resuming.

I've been watching the makerbots for years and I've been wanting to get one but their original setup was way too involved and prone to failure if you weren't an electronics guy, I might have to take a look at their new ones as they come fully built.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have way too dirty of a mind to have one of those. </div></div>

I guess the rugby twins weren't enough for you?

What material are you using? Do you have any idea what the material cost per cubic inch may be?

We have an extrusion style at work that lays down abs, but the sheering forces on the filament are too great. We know that metal feed lips like the lancer mags would be needed.

One idea we have been playing with is an acetone post production treatment to essentially melt the filaments together to resist the forces better. We can also beef up the layers that end up outside the mag well, but I'm still worried about what is inside the mag well. Another idea is to try to get the mag to double stack below the mag well, and single stack about. Tsk a would allow more material in the walls.

I haven't been participating in other online conversations, but if you want o talk by pm, I'm all ears and can share a couple years experience with our machine.

Good luck on your project!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: enough</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What material are you using? Do you have any idea what the material cost per cubic inch may be?

We have an extrusion style at work that lays down abs, but the sheering forces on the filament are too great. We know that metal feed lips like the lancer mags would be needed.

One idea we have been playing with is an acetone post production treatment to essentially melt the filaments together to resist the forces better. We can also beef up the layers that end up outside the mag well, but I'm still worried about what is inside the mag well. Another idea is to try to get the mag to double stack below the mag well, and single stack about. Tsk a would allow more material in the walls.

I haven't been participating in other online conversations, but if you want o talk by pm, I'm all ears and can share a couple years experience with our machine.

Good luck on your project! </div></div>

This printer currently uses PLA. We're considering an upgrade to the extruder head which would allow use of PLA or ABS as well as simultaneously printing 2 colors.

This machine also utilizes an extrusion process, so we have the same issues with separation between layers. Delamination would occur with most any material, I think the acetone process you've mentioned would work wonders.

I'll keep you in mind, I'm sure questions will arise. Out of curiosity, what part of the country are you in?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: error4o4</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: enough</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What material are you using? Do you have any idea what the material cost per cubic inch may be?

Good luck on your project! </div></div>

This printer currently uses PLA. We're considering an upgrade to the extruder head which would allow use of PLA or ABS as well as simultaneously printing 2 colors.

This machine also utilizes an extrusion process, so we have the same issues with separation between layers. Delamination would occur with most any material, I think the acetone process you've mentioned would work wonders.

I'll keep you in mind, I'm sure questions will arise. Out of curiosity, what part of the country are you in? </div></div>
Loc: the mitten
mitten = Michigan

Very cool. Now if you had a 3D scanner you would be in serious business....

But there isn't much you can't dream-up in solid works these days too.

Edit: Also, it was very interesting to read about the quality of the threads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patches</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very cool. Now if you had a 3D scanner you would be in serious business....

But there isn't much you can't dream-up in solid works these days too.

Edit: Also, it was very interesting to read about the quality of the threads. </div></div>

Funny you should mention the 3D scanner. We started this weekend playing with some software that compiles a series of 2D photographs to create a rough 3D model. Another piece of tech that blows my mind. We've only looked at a couple different packages and don't have much experience with either yet. Hopefully we'll find that one suits our needs.

There is some more info on the threads... :-D
Although compatible, it seems that whoever created the 3D models created one piece and simply mirrored the threads for the other piece. As such, the fit is extremely tight. We had to grab some gloves, because of the sharpness of the knurling, and thread the nut on the bolt and remove a few times. I think the other issue at play is the texture created by the printed layers. We're attempting to thread a nut on a bolt, with improper fit spec, but the layers are horiztontal rather than following the threads. I think this contributes to the resistance as well

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: calling4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tikka 223 mags with a longer OAL!

I'll test it </div></div>

If I had one as a sample, I could create a 3D model and print it for you. Or, if I had a 3D model ready to go, I could just convert it and print it. This might be more realistic than a 30-round AR mag at this point, but I'm curious to see if there are feed lip issues still.

I was just looking at these and the other 3D printers out there on Friday, very interesting stuff. One turn off to this one was the PLA only, didn't know about the other head. Any idea what the ABS capable head will run you?

PS...I have a Tikka 223 mag I can send if you're serious.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtkutchu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Loc: the mitten
mitten = Michigan </div></div>

Correct.

Just had a simple thought. How about printing it in two pieces? Use vertical filaments to do the upper portion of the mag, then fit it to a lower beefed up portion using horizontal filaments? Or simply make mag extenders for existing hunting mags?

We would end up using a lot more support material with the vertical set up. We have an older machine that doesn't use water soluable support material, so it's a tedious process to chip it away. A good set of dental picks goes a long ways here. The water soluable stuff is great. Drop it in an ultrasonic cleaner with h2o for a couple minutes and you are all set.

Last thought for now. It's been said that you can chrome plate some materials. We've never tried it, but that would also go along ways. Okay, on more ... Vacuum form a sleeve to go over your printed material. Basically kydex over laminate. That would toughen that bitch up!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete Sake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you make your own programs? </div></div>

At work, we make a solid model drawing of the object in solidworks. Then we send it through a translating program that is proprietary to our printer. It will interpret the extruded paths, and scale the parts if we need to. It's almost as easy as sending a document to the printer. Seriously.

is the PLA filament just like a plastic that it melts to create the finished product?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: error4o4</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NMMX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When are you gonna start selling lowers? </div></div>

I wish. There is a project online to print receivers, ar's included. It's been done, but the material isn't very strong. Also, this method of printing (extrusion) creates weaknesses between the layers. The prototype I saw online failed after 6 rounds or something. Check out defcad.org.</div></div>

There are new metal printers that use some kind of plasma ion beam or some such (I can't recall what the technology really is called) to strip molecules from a piece of metal and then fuse them according to a design. A lot like using metal as ink or plastic. The website I saw was planning on using them ultimately to make custom joint replacements in the operating theatre. Custom tools. Pretty sure that metal will hold up!

Note these metal printers are a little more high speed than the cast type metal printers and others that can just make trinkets. I bet they are REAL expensive, because you can't find a price anywhere.

On the other hand, after this Sandy Hook incident, I heard that at least one maker of these metal printers included software that prevents any known firearm blueprints from being made. I don't know which one, and I don't know how hard it would be to defeat that.

But if this technology advances, it could change completely how firearms (and a LOT of other items) are made. You may just have to buy this machine and then order and pay for the blueprints for whatever you want and just make it yourself.

I've thought of this and still think it would be a great idea for one off parts when and if the technology advance and if it can be hacked or jailbroken.

I made Kydex holsters and I wonder how well a pistol made from this material would hold up under repeated pressure under a press. I would be cool to make demo guns with lights already attach etc..

10 round 595 master spotter mags. I would wish for. I saw one of those printer in person not too long ago. Very cool

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: enough</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete Sake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you make your own programs? </div></div>

At work, we make a solid model drawing of the object in solidworks. Then we send it through a translating program that is proprietary to our printer. It will interpret the extruded paths, and scale the parts if we need to. It's almost as easy as sending a document to the printer. Seriously.</div></div>

This is the same thing we do. It's really pretty simple. We also have a lot of experience with 3D modeling, so it's not difficult to begin from an idea or to duplicate an existing piece.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much does it cost beginning to end. Computer, printer, program, etc.?</div></div>

Our setup is running on a Macbook Pro (~$1k), the printer is $2200 +shipping and 8 week lead time, the software is free, PLA filament is ~$40/kg.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are new metal printers that use some kind of plasma ion beam or some such (I can't recall what the technology really is called) to strip molecules from a piece of metal and then fuse them according to a design. A lot like using metal as ink or plastic. The website I saw was planning on using them ultimately to make custom joint replacements in the operating theatre. Custom tools. Pretty sure that metal will hold up!</div></div>

That would be ideal, but I'd be surprised if the cost to play was 10 times what we have in ours. A bit of reach for a couple hobbyists at this point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I made Kydex holsters and I wonder how well a pistol made from this material would hold up under repeated pressure under a press. I would be cool to make demo guns with lights already attach etc..</div></div>

What temperature do you need it to withstand?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SymteX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I made Kydex holsters and I wonder how well a pistol made from this material would hold up under repeated pressure under a press. I would be cool to make demo guns with lights already attach etc.. </div></div>

Off the cuff, I think you'd do okay with it. If you want to try it, I can scrounge up an old part (not a pistol shape) for you to try. Pm me your email and we can arrange something.

Error, have you vetted any of the ar part designs yet? I'm throwing together a dedicated 22lr upper, and given the prices and availability for even a cheap poly upper receiver, I'm about to print one. My biggest concern is simply the barrel nut. I haven't thought about it much though. Thought?

Feel free to pm me. If I had a program that someone already vetted, I could launch the build before I leave the office tomorrow and have it on Monday morning.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: enough</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Error, have you vetted any of the ar part designs yet? I'm throwing together a dedicated 22lr upper, and given the prices and availability for even a cheap poly upper receiver, I'm about to print one. My biggest concern is simply the barrel nut. I haven't thought about it much though. Thought?

Feel free to pm me. If I had a program that someone already vetted, I could launch the build before I leave the office tomorrow and have it on Monday morning. </div></div>

I've been keeping pretty close tabs on the 3D models available for printing firearm components, uppers included. I haven't tried one yet, however. The threaded portions are always my concern, as well. It's cheap enough to print, you could just print one and see how it works out. If you do, I'd love to see how it turns out and functions.

Any links for uppers?

The nut is my biggest concern. I've been thinking about working some other type of collar design in because printable threads are not okay in my book. Also thought about printing bosses into the upper and spanning some sort of a rail system to stabilize the fore end. Just ideas, no designs yet. I'd like to print an upper first and feel it.

As always, thanks for your input.

A tri-rail that carried on from the top and sides of the upper to the forend, with a non-floating barrel (think 10-22 barrel clamp concept) would probably suffice for a rimfire application. Clamp 3 riser rails on to the upper and forend (think of the rails as a fastener that clamps the forend to the upper) and it wouldn't budge.