• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

5000 meters+ Supersonic (*Updated with pics*)

Re: 5000 meters+ Supersonic

Got another for you guys.

photo-14.jpg

Re: 5000 meters+ Supersonic

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!

Can't wait to see it all come together. BTW any idea on what the complete loaded rifle will weigh in at?

Re: 5000 meters+ Supersonic (*Updated with pics*)

Well thanks for the pics! The drama lamma was getting pretty beat up...(f-ing reality tv thread here). Looking forward to your end of the month testing and hope you have great results!

Jeeze that case and bullet can give a guy some envy probems lol!

Now back to the kardishitstains........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sulenski</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DAMN!!!!!!!!!!

Can't wait to see it all come together. BTW any idea on what the complete loaded rifle will weigh in at?</div></div>

Should be right around 65-70lbs.....that's just the prototype though. We over built the thing on purpose.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: saojao</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sulenski</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DAMN!!!!!!!!!!

Can't wait to see it all come together. BTW any idea on what the complete loaded rifle will weigh in at?</div></div>

Should be right around 65-70lbs.....that's just the prototype though. We over built the thing on purpose.</div></div>

So where are the volunteers to hump a 65LBS single shot rifle up a hill to a location where you can even see 2500m let alone 5000m...

Any takers who want to carry this beast so they can put 1 shot on something they probably can't identify very well ?

I would recommend trying to sell this to the Navy for a ship, rather than a soldier for hauling over the ground.

+1 Frank, I wouldn't want to, unless I can use a ATV/UTV that special ops use.

I am guessing that is one hell of a big reloading press.

Can we see this thing sitting next to a 50 BMG for comparison?

The frame with two dies and one round is the beast and a 308.
Alan

Whit- go back one page and you can see a compartison of the 50 next to this cartridge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: saojao</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sulenski</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DAMN!!!!!!!!!!

Should be right around 65-70lbs.....that's just the prototype though. We over built the thing on purpose.</div></div>

So where are the volunteers to hump a 65LBS single shot rifle up a hill to a location where you can even see 2500m let alone 5000m...

Any takers who want to carry this beast so they can put 1 shot on something they probably can't identify very well ?

I would recommend trying to sell this to the Navy for a ship, rather than a soldier for hauling over the ground. </div></div>

Really?? The rifle is a prototype. Whats SO hard to understand Frank? I made everything bigger than it needed to be and I think I've said this a trillion times. A Prototype to demonstrate the cartridge......for the last time!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: saojao</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: saojao</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sulenski</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DAMN!!!!!!!!!!

I would recommend trying to sell this to the Navy for a ship, rather than a soldier for hauling over the ground. </div></div>

Really?? The rifle is a prototype. Whats SO hard to understand Frank? I made everything bigger than it needed to be and I think I've said this a trillion times. A Prototype to demonstrate the cartridge......for the last time!!!!</div></div>

Hey dick you want to bust my balls I am more than happy to dump the whole thread and you with it ...

Go cry some where else with your rules skirting ass or get your lawyer to send a letter telling me to shut up.

As if, a working version will be much below 30LBS... typical, you come in here, advertise your company against the rules, promote your business and want to whine because you don't like what is said, and play the lawyer game on here.

Dump the thread!!!!! I could care less!!!!

I was interested in this. Not from a practical standpoint, but as how far we can push the boundaries of things.

I believe the saying is " I couldn't care less."

You're implying you still have some care left.
Incorrect .50cal. I know it doesn't make sense, but that's the proper phrasing.

Glad to see this thread is back. It was entertaining.

I would really appreciate an update on this thread. I just discovered it a week or so ago and want to know everything that has transpired since it sat. Those not interested should simply read something else. Innovation should be encouraged and since we all like big bangs, I would pay to be there and watch it lit up.

If the original authors have been too intimidated by small minds, please update me with a pm. I would travel to see this and speak with the design team.

I would really appreciate an update on this thread. I just discovered it a week or so ago and want to know everything that has transpired since it sat. Those not interested should simply read something else. Innovation should be encouraged and since we all like big bangs, I would pay to be there and watch it lit up.

If the original authors have been too intimidated by small minds, please update me with a pm. I would travel to see this and speak with the design team.

Agreed! Sign me up for any PM's if it's ok for me to invite myself

I'd like an update as well. Don't bother with a PM, just post it here. Its an opportunity to prove all the "small minds" wrong with some excellent results of precision shooting at 5 km.

Heck you could prove me wrong because I agree with Lowlight. No military potential.

Here is mine, 20x138B, no fire forming the brass required.

Attachments

• lahti-2a.jpg
    lahti-2a.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 35
I don't think the OP has been on since his last post above in June of last year. I wouldn't expect any kind of update from him on the Hide. He may have something out there in Internet cyber world. That's if his toy didn't blow up and do away with him. Hope his project finally came to fruition for him.

Here is mine, 20x138B, no fire forming the brass required.

Nice, is that the same cartridge as the old Oerlikons used? What country/model rifle is that? Same question as before, where do you get brass for the thing? LOL buy it straight from the military? I cant help but think of the FPSRussia video with the host firing a privately owned 40mm Bofors. Like where do people buy such things?! Id think a 40mm Bofors with the powered AA turret would have to be from the black market. No way the US is just selling those things to private individuals. You could hold off a fairly large/well armed force with the 360 degree rotation in the proper location.

How do you get brass for it? Is there places that sell surplus cannon cases online or what? Also, what powder are you using in it and how much?

1. 20mm Vulcan brass and steel cases (and primers and projectiles) are available here.http://www.cdvs.us/20MM-C49.aspx
2. For those interested in the status of Saojao’s 14.9 SOP project...per Jon (4/16/13), it went very well and he is willing to discuss rifle orders with serious buyers (component sets in work now). Contact JG Weapons in Richmond, VA at (202) 603-9403.
3. Jon strongly suggested that Dylan contact Mike Remo at Anzio regarding Mike’s very first hand experiences trying to find powder for and develop loads to move a 1000 gr projectile out of his (the Anzio) 20/50 design.http://www.anzioironworks.com/index.html

From a friend of the forum.

Last edited:
Nice, is that the same cartridge as the old Oerlikons used? What country/model rifle is that? Same question as before, where do you get brass for the thing? LOL buy it straight from the military? I cant help but think of the FPSRussia video with the host firing a privately owned 40mm Bofors. Like where do people buy such things?! Id think a 40mm Bofors with the powered AA turret would have to be from the black market. No way the US is just selling those things to private individuals. You could hold off a fairly large/well armed force with the 360 degree rotation in the proper location.

As noted its not the same round as the oerlikon. They had a rebated rim and fired from an open bolt. The Lahti has a belted case and fires from a closed bolt with gas operated semi auto action. My Solothurn fires the same round from a closed bolt with a recoil operated action. It appears that you have no real knowledge of this end of the firearms collecting/shooting sports so you don't realize that there are a very large number of cannons and light anti-tank rifles in civvie hands here in the US. They are legal and proper(in all cases I know of) and are fired frequently at machinegun and cannon shoots. I've owned a number of cannons and fired quite a few others. I have seen and played with the 40mm bofors gun that the idiot from FPS russia did the videos with and I can assure you that it is a legal registered DD/MG here in the US and is privately owned. The US military did indeed sell quite a few of these things along with a lot of other ordnance stuff back after WWII. Prior to november/december of 1968 there was no such designation as Destructive device in the NFA and you could buy, sell and trade cannons, ordnance and other related items with no license or permit. The gun control act of 1968 changed all that and now they have to be registered. A lot of them were registered in the amnesty in 68 and are legally ownable. Here is a pic of my 20mm solothurn along with a couple more normal sized rifles. A Swiss Stgw 57 and a Swiss SIG AMT.

There are a very wide variety of 20mm rounds out there and you can find components for most if you look. Powder is available as well and guys have been shooting this stuff for years. I make no claim to having half minute accuracy at 5000m but I can hit a 6 x 8 foot plate at 1600yds with the solothurn consistently.

Frank

Attachments

• 3SwisssemisRR2.jpg
    3SwisssemisRR2.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 25
As noted its not the same round as the oerlikon. They had a rebated rim and fired from an open bolt. The Lahti has a belted case and fires from a closed bolt with gas operated semi auto action. My Solothurn fires the same round from a closed bolt with a recoil operated action. It appears that you have no real knowledge of this end of the firearms collecting/shooting sports so you don't realize that there are a very large number of cannons and light anti-tank rifles in civvie hands here in the US. They are legal and proper(in all cases I know of) and are fired frequently at machinegun and cannon shoots. I've owned a number of cannons and fired quite a few others. I have seen and played with the 40mm bofors gun that the idiot from FPS russia did the videos with and I can assure you that it is a legal registered DD/MG here in the US and is privately owned. The US military did indeed sell quite a few of these things along with a lot of other ordnance stuff back after WWII. Prior to november/december of 1968 there was no such designation as Destructive device in the NFA and you could buy, sell and trade cannons, ordnance and other related items with no license or permit. The gun control act of 1968 changed all that and now they have to be registered. A lot of them were registered in the amnesty in 68 and are legally ownable. Here is a pic of my 20mm solothurn along with a couple more normal sized rifles. A Swiss Stgw 57 and a Swiss SIG AMT.

There are a very wide variety of 20mm rounds out there and you can find components for most if you look. Powder is available as well and guys have been shooting this stuff for years. I make no claim to having half minute accuracy at 5000m but I can hit a 6 x 8 foot plate at 1600yds with the solothurn consistently.

Frank

You would be correct Ive never even seen anything bigger than a .50 in person. Theres something Ive always wondered with heavy autocannons and artillery though, with something like say a 40mm or 57mm Bofors, when it says it has an effective range of like for example 8km or more, does that mean that the projo is still supersonic at that distance? Surely a 155mm is not supersonic at 20nm? What allows arty projectiles to be more stable than rifle rounds?

Thanks

You have to give these guy,s some credit for even attempting to push the envelope. They are true pioneer,s no matter how long it takes. Wish i had their knowledge to even attempt something of this magnitude. Congrat,s guy,s , keep us informed.

The Mk19, 1500-2000 meter range, HE (dual purpose) can dump em out fast, and allow you to "walk the in", weight-less than 80 pounds-works every time. just saying

The Mk19, 1500-2000 meter range, HE (dual purpose) can dump em out fast, and allow you to "walk the in", weight-less than 80 pounds-works every time. just saying

Works everytime my ass.

You know what a mark sounds like when it (tries to)fires? Kachunk.

That's one of the reasons you're seeing m240s end up on the turret mount as well. However, when those things are working... Mk19 gunners had the highest count out of everyone.

You have to give these guy,s some credit for even attempting to push the envelope. They are true pioneer,s no matter how long it takes. Wish i had their knowledge to even attempt something of this magnitude. Congrat,s guy,s , keep us informed.

This is where I'm at on this whole deal. We can argue all day long about what's viable or not in the field. The bottom line is that new technology gleamed from projects like this can be used in less specialized applications. A lot of the technology developed from NASA projects has been used in the same manner.

Works everytime my ass.

You know what a mark sounds like when it (tries to)fires? Kachunk.
I'd say I know what it sounds like, more like chunk-chunk-chunk...... You could say I was very familiar with the 40mm.

I'd say I know what it sounds like, more like chunk-chunk-chunk...... You could say I was very familiar with the 40mm.

I had nothing but theytrouble with all of the ones ive used. That seemed to be the general consenus from everyone that had the latest generation. Side note, did you guys have the "auto indexing, no headspacing required" m2s?

I had nothing but theytrouble with all of the ones ive used. That seemed to be the general consenus from everyone that had the latest generation. Side note, did you guys have the "auto indexing, no headspacing required" m2s?

The "old" M2 had a HS gauge attacked on a chain, worked just fine. The chunkers worked real well, just like any weapon system, the operator needed to know how to take care of his business. Just like the M16 or the M60, when the operators had no experience, no training, no cleaning equipment, no proper lubricant the weapon was "shit", in fact it is not shit, just poorly trained/supplied operators.