• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Grendel

Have several good loads I use for coyotes and pig damage control work at night with thermal. All use CCI 450, Starline brass, and Benchmark at the moment. My favorite bullet is the 95 VMAX, but I also use a lot of 90 TNT and the (discontinued) Sierra 85 HP. Even though it is no longer available I have 800-900 of the Sierras left.

Yondering,

Well, that was interesting.

You don't prevail in a technical discussion by simply telling the other person they are wrong. And certainly not by attacking them. Do you have any logic you can bring to the table, or is it all ad hominem?

You are far more fair tempered on the Grendel Forum, no doubt because the Mods wouldn't stand for it. Put your manners back in and act your age.

Last edited:
Not that this discussion isn’t entertaining and educational, though as it’s ceased to be related to Grendel in any manner, why not move the debate to the semi auto forum where an equally informed group can add their wisdom and experience. And now back to regularly scheduled programming?

Yondering,

Well, that was interesting.

You don't prevail in a technical discussion by simply telling the other person they are wrong. And certainly not by attacking them. Do you have any logic you can bring to the table, or is it all ad hominem?

You are far more fair tempered on the Grendel Forum, no doubt because the Mods wouldn't stand for it. Put your manners back in and act your age.
:rolleyes:

I'm sad that my attempt to share good info about Grendel bolts surviving higher pressure loads had to get derailed by this stupidity. Nobody should have to explain why the BS you posted is bad info.

If you actually had a logical reason for any of what you said, I'd be happy to discuss it. But this isn't a topic where everyone's opinion has merit; the truth of how things work is what matters.

But for entertainment purposes, feel free to do as Bobke said and start a new thread about why you think a receiver face needs to be trued to the rail, and how that affects scope tracking. It should be fun to watch.

Last edited:
I've been reading this post and have a 20" proof barrel and am setting up my dies. I am amazed that you guys are getting 27-28 grains in a 6.5 Grendel with 123 scenar's, my attempts are very compressed. My barrel needs to have the COAL of 2.250 or shorter with the 123 scenar.

What powder is maxing you out at 27-28gr? 4895, Varget or possibly AR Comp at 27.5+, but certainly not Lever, CFE223 or most of the ball powders-unlikely.

Basic,

There are some interesting points in your comment.

When finding a reasonable load I use as many sources as possible. Manufacturer tables (conservative), 6.5 Grendel forum (on average hot loads), and Quickload (conservative). Adding to that you can look at spent cases for an idea of pressure but it's like reading tea leaves. By the time primers are cratering and flattening it's too late. Ejector swipes are common and can occur with mild loads. The first thing to break is the weakest link in the pressure containment system, the bolt lug. Grendel is a wider diameter bolt face than 5.56 so there is more pressure on the lugs. No doubt part reason why the SAAMI recommended max pressure is only 52K. The issue I think from being on the 6.5 Forum is Grendelers are always pushing the limits of what is by design a slow calibre and reports of bolts breaking are common enough to be comfortable that's what breaks first.

That said, if you want to consider the bolt as a consumable part (and always carry a spare like I do in the butt) then you can push hot loads through it until the bolt prematurely breaks - then replace it and carry on. It is highly unlikely to blow up in your face and you may not even know a lug has broken off until you get home. We replace barrels when they wear out, so we can also replace bolts every now and then. Just a thought, but requires acceptance of the risks that go with loading hot.

From the opposite perspective you can ask whether that extra velocity is critical to achieving your shooting goals. If shooting paper or steel at known distances; so what if the bullet arrives at the target 100fps less. A slower bullet will be affected slightly more by the wind, but that's about it. If hunting, the animal is not going to know the bullet is 100fps less than it could be - Dead is dead. So from this perspective, why wear out the gun faster if you don't need to?

I note on Hogdgon's website they don't list anything heavier than 123gn. Like I said, 130gn is less efficient for a small calibre like Grendel. This is because heavier bullets are longer, and in an AR the magazine length limits the OAL. When loading rounds to fit in an AR mag the longer bullets are pushed further into the case. This displaces precious space and there is less left over for powder. Heavier bullets also require slower powder and that has a compounding effect on the smaller volume available for bulkier powder.

Here's your 29.2gn 4895 load predicted in Quickload out of a 16" barrel...2435fps. Computer predictions never match reality exactly for all sorts of reasons, but they are close.
View attachment 8162164
Older, wiser hand-loaders who have been at it in some cases since the 1960s set the tone for approaching hand-loading on the Grendel Forum, so there has never been a trend to load hot there since I became a member back in 2009. Quite the contrary. Bill Alexander also really emphasized staying within the load parameters from the get-go, rather than promising sensational muzzle velocities that would not be duplicatable in practice.

For those that haven’t heard about Quick Load and Grendel, that data is typically off by up to 9,000psi regularly with 6.5 Grendel, 12,000-20,000psi in some extreme cases. Quick Load never developed a pressure test breach for this cartridge, and can only generate theoretical chamber pressures that are way off from reality.

We built and calibrated a real pressure test breech that readings were taken from for 6 months before assigning any validity to the measurements, using gauges recommended by Bill after all his work with them in the 2000s.

I've been reading this post and have a 20" proof barrel and am setting up my dies. I am amazed that you guys are getting 27-28 grains in a 6.5 Grendel with 123 scenar's, my attempts are very compressed. My barrel needs to have the COAL of 2.250 or shorter with the 123 scenar.
Seems like your chamber is a bit short since that bullet has more of a secant ogive.

With most chambers, even 129gr SST can be loaded longer than 2.260” COL and charge weights as you described loaded under them.

You might want to try 26.7gr and work up from there. Also, what brass are you using?

This starts with understanding that different powders have different densities. You can't assume that because someone gets 28 grains of one powder in a case, that you can or should be able to get that weight of a different powder in there. That can be an extremely dangerous assumption; stick to data for the specific powder and bullet that you're using.

Reactions: 6.5SH
Seems like your chamber is a bit short since that bullet has more of a secant ogive.

With most chambers, even 129gr SST can be loaded longer than 2.260” COL and charge weights as you described loaded under them.

You might want to try 26.7gr and work up from there. Also, what brass are you using?
I have 500 pieces of Starline and 300 Lapua. Going to use the Starline for now.

What platform is your barrel mounted in? Bolt, Gas, or Single Shot? Each one will handle pressures differently and most data is based on Semi-auto actions.

Older, wiser hand-loaders who have been at it in some cases since the 1960s set the tone for approaching hand-loading on the Grendel Forum, so there has never been a trend to load hot there since I became a member back in 2009. Quite the contrary. Bill Alexander also really emphasized staying within the load parameters from the get-go, rather than promising sensational muzzle velocities that would not be duplicatable in practice.

For those that haven’t heard about Quick Load and Grendel, that data is typically off by up to 9,000psi regularly with 6.5 Grendel, 12,000-20,000psi in some extreme cases. Quick Load never developed a pressure test breach for this cartridge, and can only generate theoretical chamber pressures that are way off from reality.

We built and calibrated a real pressure test breech that readings were taken from for 6 months before assigning any validity to the measurements, using gauges recommended by Bill after all his work with them in the 2000s.
Good to See you Paul ! It's been a while. I hope you're doing well.
I'm headed to the range tomorrow to shoot my 3rd Grendel Rifle. I got Frank @ CLE to spin up a Bartlein blank for a 20" rifle gas barrel for this build. Hogs and Deer are on the menu for this build.

Reactions: DubfromGA
What platform is your barrel mounted in? Bolt, Gas, or Single Shot? Each one will handle pressures differently and most data is based on Semi-auto actions.
It’s a semi auto platform. I guess my original point was that 27.5-28 grains of Auto Comp really fills the case. I know it’s bulky and everyone has a different platform and reloading is based on what you have, not based on what other are doing.

I was just surprised that with a 123 Scenar, there really is no room left in the case.

Reactions: Modoc
I use AR Comp as my ‘go to’ powder for Grendel and understand the compression issue. Not sure how anyone manages 28gr under almost any bullet, as 28 leaves neck about half full. Have gotten 123 Nosler CC’s and 120 Ballistic Tips over 27.4gr with good results, but that’s about my limit for those two bullets, and same for Sierra 120’s.
My current favored load is 120 Scenar L’s over 27.0gr ARC, yielding consistent 2550 and low SD’s in 20” barrels of several mfg’s. That is right at limit in my view pressure wise in either Lapua or Hornady brass, and is seated at 2.225 overall for Proof and other barrels. And I’m also at limit to maintain consistent seating depth given case fill at 27.0gr without compression trying to push back.
No such issue with Lever/CFE, though have stuck with AR Comp for accuracy, low SD’s, temp stability and somewhat cooler burn temp to preserve throats and brass. Interested in other experience here.

And I’m also at limit to maintain consistent seating depth given case fill at 27.0gr without compression trying to push back.

At that point it's time to start tapping/vibrating cases to settle the powder further before bullet seating, or try to address it during powder charging with a long drop tube. Neither method is very practical for progressive loading of course, if that matters to you. I usually try to avoid loads that require this extra step, but it is an option if you're just really getting great results with a certain powder. An electric toothbrush held against the side of the case after powder charging is one method that seems to work well.

All powders will settle with vibration to some extent, but it's interesting how far some will go. Like a charge flush with the case mouth that settles out to the bottom of the shoulder, for example.

I do use about an 8” drop tube, which helps but doesn’t totally address powder settling. In this specific instance, the Proof 20” barrel I shoot more than others requires seating 120 Scenar L’s at 2.225 to stay about .020-.025 off lands. That ogival shape is significantly different than 123 Scenars, and I’m willing to live with all of the variables because it shoots so consistently well in multiple Grendel barrels. 123 Scenars are long, so less powder compression and can be run longer-maybe to the limit of magazine length at 2.285ish in ASC mags. 123 Noslers are more forgiving, 123 Sierras shoot really well but run into mag length again, though some of my best accuracy has come with them. All said, other chambers are looser than the Proof, and I’m quite pleased with getting 2550 average in several 20” barrels without stressing gun or components-the load does exactly what I want it to.

Reactions: LRRPF52
I do use about an 8” drop tube, which helps but doesn’t totally address powder settling. In this specific instance, the Proof 20” barrel I shoot more than others requires seating 120 Scenar L’s at 2.225 to stay about .020-.025 off lands. That ogival shape is significantly different than 123 Scenars, and I’m willing to live with all of the variables because it shoots so consistently well in multiple Grendel barrels. 123 Scenars are long, so less powder compression and can be run longer-maybe to the limit of magazine length at 2.285ish in ASC mags. 123 Noslers are more forgiving, 123 Sierras shoot really well but run into mag length again, though some of my best accuracy has come with them. All said, other chambers are looser than the Proof, and I’m quite pleased with getting 2550 average in several 20” barrels without stressing gun or components-the load does exactly what I want it to.
All of those bullets you mentioned are some of the most accurate I’ve shot in 6.5 Grendel, especially through Bartlein and Lilja pipes. I would also add the 107gr SMK.

I find 123gr SMK and 123gr Scenar to be the closest bullets to each other in terms of performance. The 120gr Scenar-L is very accurate as well, but with a bit lower BC.

If you’re getting 2550fps with 120-123gr class bullets from a 20” without any problems, you’re in the upper end of 20” performance.

So are you saying the 120 Scenar's are the way to go?

Certainly not the only way to go, but have been a very consistent performer in multiple Grendel builds that I keep in regular rotation. Different ogival shape than the sleeker 123 Scenar/Sierras, so may require deeper seating depth to stay at least .020 off the lands, but very acceptable accuracy, velocity and SD’s in my experience. Worth a look, certain.

Has anyone tried to subsonic the grendel? Using heavy for caliber pills and fast powders like the 300BO.

Has anyone tried to subsonic the grendel? Using heavy for caliber pills and fast powders like the 300BO.
I skipped over the Grendel and went with 7.62x39 primarily due to the heavier bullet availability for this caliber. Cheaper to shoot as well. Very happy with the results.

Can anybody recommend a good hunting bullet that has availability for deer with ranges up to 225ish yards?

I would love to just buy 120 gold dots but those are unobtainium. I have 130 AR hybrids but would prefer to keep those for the CM. I also have 129 SST as a last resort but prefer a bonded bullet and lighter bullets as well. I'm thinking more speed will give me better expansion so lighter might be better.

**edit**

Meant to say I have the 123SST not 129

Last edited:
Can anybody recommend a good hunting bullet that has availability for deer with ranges up to 225ish yards?

I would love to just buy 120 gold dots but those are unobtainium. I have 130 AR hybrids but would prefer to keep those for the CM. I also have 129 SST as a last resort but prefer a bonded bullet and lighter bullets as well. I'm thinking more speed will give me better expansion so lighter might be better.
Hornady factory 123 SST. I have shot both hogs, deer and antelope. Performed well on Everything. It's very accurate as well.

Reactions: DubfromGA
I’m taking the 99g Hammer Hunter monolithic out this weekend. Others give good testimony on killing game, but I can only speak to the great accuracy.

Hornady factory 123 SST. I have shot both hogs, deer and antelope. Performed well on Everything. It's very accurate as well.

That's actually what I have but I mistakenly typed 129. Maybe they could work I suppose. Don't these break apart into a million pieces after impact though?

My guns don’t shoot the sst for shit. ELD-M has been sufficient for all of the deer I’ve shot with them.

Reactions: Devildog6.5G
I killed 3 deer and a coyote with the Cavity Back 105gr MKZ. it performed well. I found one bullet and it opened great. (As you are experiencing I couldn’t find the bullets I would normally have used.) I may try the 129 ablr this year as well. It opens down to 1300’/s as I remember.

Reactions: Huckleberry75

**edit**

The 123 ELDM is very effective at Grendel speeds. It doesn’t meet some of your prerequisites, but at these mild velocities you can take a shoulder if you need to, but lung shots will make soup out of everything. My load is 2400fps, and I feel good about taking any shot I need to out to 300yds. Good expansion, and quick kills on boiler room shots. Quicker than with .308 150gr Fusion (gold dots). The fusions did good damage. took both lungs, and the heart and kept on trucking. Great blood trail. The ELDM dropped a little 8 pointer on the spot with a double lunger.

That's actually what I have but I mistakenly typed 129. Maybe they could work I suppose. Don't these break apart into a million pieces after impact though?
They are not a bonded bullet and yes the core and jacket will separate, but that is part of the design, they dump there energy. There are many other good bullets out there as well, however I feel this bullet will do everything you need it to. Grab a box and shoot them then you will know. Midsouth shooter supply had them on sale the other day for like $26 a box.

**edit**

There are plenty of good hunting bullet choices for the Grendel, and the 123 ELD-M as stated above does work well IME. If you want a bonded bullet though, pick up some of Nosler's 129gr ABLR; the expansion velocity window is matched very well to the Grendel, even from short barrels, and it's proven to be a very effective killer of deer for me. If anything, it does more damage than I really need it to, if I'm being honest, but its shank holds together well and has always given me an exit wound. (I don't take texas heart shots though and generally avoid anything lengthwise that would run through the guts, fwiw in regards to penetration depth and exit wounds).

There are plenty of good hunting bullet choices for the Grendel, and the 123 ELD-M as stated above does work well IME. If you want a bonded bullet though, pick up some of Nosler's 129gr ABLR; the expansion velocity window is matched very well to the Grendel, even from short barrels, and it's proven to be a very effective killer of deer for me. If anything, it does more damage than I really need it to, if I'm being honest, but its shank holds together well and has always given me an exit wound. (I don't take texas heart shots though and generally avoid anything lengthwise that would run through the guts, fwiw in regards to penetration depth and exit wounds).

Because I already have 123SST and 130 hybrids, I may just use them even though I really really don't want to lol. But in the meanwhile, I'll explore other options, like those suggested.

What about 88 hammer hunters? Anyone try them?

Because I already have 123SST and 130 hybrids, I may just use them even though I really really don't want to lol. But in the meanwhile, I'll explore other options, like those suggested.

What’s wrong with the 123gr SST, and why do you think you “need” a bonded bullet for Grendel speeds?

Bonding doesn’t make a bullet expand better; it’s intended to help bullets hold together better at speeds where normal cup/core bullets tend to come apart. But the Grendel is well down into the range where cup & core bullets work really well. It’s just not a cartridge that needs bonded bullets, especially not for deer.

You just don’t need premium bullets to kill deer with a low velocity round like the 6.5 Grendel.

I've had good luck with 120 Nosler Ballistic Tips in my Grendel's.
Put them over CFE 223 and Fed AR Match Primers in Hornady brass and it has shot 5 rounds in a very sub 1/2 MOA group at 100 yards.
Those are my back-up if the Barnes 115 TAC-TX's don't fly good in either AR15 uppers

What’s wrong with the 123gr SST, and why do you think you “need” a bonded bullet for Grendel speeds?

Bonding doesn’t make a bullet expand better; it’s intended to help bullets hold together better at speeds where normal cup/core bullets tend to come apart. But the Grendel is well down into the range where cup & core bullets work really well. It’s just not a cartridge that needs bonded bullets, especially not for deer.

You just don’t need premium bullets to kill deer with a low velocity round like the 6.5 Grendel.
I don't think I need a bonded bullet. I'm sure I can just load the 130 ar hybrid and call it a day. Honestly, it's just personal preference. I've always had a preference towards using a bonded bullet for hunting. And I suppose it gives me an excuse to shop around for new bullets haha.

I run the 97gr absolute hammers in my 12.5” Grendel at 2500fps (mild load) to kill pigs and get full pass throughs, I was using the 123sst at 2280fps but even at 15 yards they would go into the vitals and stop on 250-300lb boars even without hitting the shoulder plate. Then their fat would seal up the entrance wound and they would run 100-300 yards with no blood trail taking awhile to track. The 97s will pass through leaving lots of blood and damage.

Another vote for Nosler 129gn ABLR's. With their expansion threshold at 1300fps, that puts them out past 500yds when starting from my 12" at 2,220fps. Shooter app predicts them to be moving 1,580fps at 500yds. I still need to confirm drop at 500 to true up my dope, but thats plenty far enough for where I hunt.

Try the Maker t rex 120's. Mine runs them flawlessly at 2630fps with 3/4" groups. They perform exactly as advertised.

Last edited:
Reactions: warnera1102
Started working up a load for 90gr Varmageddon.

Bbl is 20" Satern Cut-Rifle. 1:8.75 twist.

Lapua 1x fired bumped back .005
CCI 450s
Vihtavuori N133

28.0gr - 2741 avg, SD 12.6
28.4gr - 2776 avg, SD 11.7
28.8gr - 2825 avg, SD 12.8
29.2gr - 2866 avg, SD 9.8
29.6gr - 2894 avg, SD 4.2
30.0gr - 2943 avg, SD 10.6

5 shot groups. All groups were 1 MOA-ish, with higher velos producing better groups. Could have been me just settling in though. Best groups were the last two both under 3/4".

Going to try 29-31gr of 8208 XBR next. Maybe pick up some velocity?

Reactions: SAUMuvabitch
Started working up a load for 90gr Varmageddon.

Bbl is 20" Satern Cut-Rifle. 1:8.75 twist.

Lapua 1x fired bumped back .005
CCI 450s
Vihtavuori N133

28.0gr - 2741 avg, SD 12.6
28.4gr - 2776 avg, SD 11.7
28.8gr - 2825 avg, SD 12.8
29.2gr - 2866 avg, SD 9.8
29.6gr - 2894 avg, SD 4.2
30.0gr - 2943 avg, SD 10.6

5 shot groups. All groups were 1 MOA-ish, with higher velos producing better groups. Could have been me just settling in though. Best groups were the last two both under 3/4".

Going to try 29-31gr of 8208 XBR next. Maybe pick up some velocity?
There is a you tube channel I follow and he does a lot videos on the Grendel and he just did one a week or so ago.
Dave with saddle up shootin. He used benchmark and power pro varmint. I am interested in this bullet as well if I can get it to perform it make calm my itch to build a 6ARC upper. Keep us posted.

I'm getting an average of 2884 fps out of a 20" 1-9 twist Shaw barrel using 30.6grs of XBR 8208. Stopped there as this bullet shot great out of my Proof 1-8 twist 20" barrel.

Has anyone played with Hornady's new 110g ELD-VT bullet yet? I just snagged a couple hundred and need to work up a load. My go to powder for my Grendel rifles is CFE223. I have an 18" long range rifle that I have shot successfully out to 1000y with 123 ELD's and I also have a 12" SBR that I normally hunt deer with using the Barnes 120g TTSX. I am going to try for coyotes this winter and the new VT bullets looks awesome with the near .500 G1 BC.

Has anyone played with Hornady's new 110g ELD-VT bullet yet? I just snagged a couple hundred and need to work up a load. My go to powder for my Grendel rifles is CFE223. I have an 18" long range rifle that I have shot successfully out to 1000y with 123 ELD's and I also have a 12" SBR that I normally hunt deer with using the Barnes 120g TTSX. I am going to try for coyotes this winter and the new VT bullets looks awesome with the near .500 G1 BC.
Where did you get a 110gr ELD-VT? I’ve seen they added a new 100gr ELD-VT. Is there a 110gr as well?

Here’s the new Sierra 120gr TGK next to a 123gr SST:

FCB8817B-8A9A-438F-B41B-FF5740C9D010.jpeg

Last edited:
Where did you find those? Do you mean 100gr ELD-M?

Last edited:
Where did you find those? Do you mean 100gr ELD-M?
He’s referring to the new 100gr ELD-VT, which is a new line of varmint bullets from Hornady that have really long ogives, longer boat tails, V-MAX construction, with ELD heat shield tips. They have unusually-high BCs for weight.

The 100gr ELD-VT has a .445 G1 BC, for example, which is considerably higher than the 100gr ELD-M at .385 G1.

He’s referring to the new 100gr ELD-VT, which is a new line of varmint bullets from Hornady that have really long ogives, longer boat tails, V-MAX construction, with ELD heat shield tips. They have unusually-high BCs for weight.

The 100gr ELD-VT has a .445 G1 BC, for example, which is considerably higher than the 100gr ELD-M at .385 G1.
I know what he's referring to, I don't think they're in production yet.