• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mm Crusader

Re: 6mm Crusader

Sendero_man,

What loads have you found work well in 6mm Crusader for the 105gr A-Max? I just picked up a used GAP, thinking of making it my long range deer buster...

Has anyone tried RE17 in the Crusader? It works in my 6mm Rem.
6mmRem105HPBT.jpg

IMG_0464.jpg

RL 17 has huge temp swings. Gave all of that stuff away.

Run H4350 and haven't looked back.

44.5 H4350 with the 105 Amax at 2.945 COAL
3272 fps here at 4650 ASL
Excellent accuracy and no pressure at all

Anyone have have a load for the Berger 105 Hybrid? George was telling me it was a great bullet in the Crusader. JBM simulation look promising if it groups at ~3300 fps.

Correct me if im wrong here, but Yes it does. The taper has been taken away for the most part and the shoulder sharpened. I think it's something like 3 grains extra.

RL 17 has huge temp swings. Gave all of that stuff away.

Run H4350 and haven't looked back.

44.5 H4350 with the 105 Amax at 2.945 COAL
3272 fps here at 4650 ASL
Excellent accuracy and no pressure at all

And you tested this how? I dont shoot in the winter so Im not sure how it would compare to my summer shooting, have read some tests where a couple of guys were testing the powder in 100 degree days. They had no issues with the heat.

And you tested this how? I dont shoot in the winter so Im not sure how it would compare to my summer shooting, have read some tests where a couple of guys were testing the powder in 100 degree days. They had no issues with the heat.

by shooting in July at 98 degrees and by hunting coyotes in -15 degrees in the winter.

I actually shoot/hunt year around. That is how I tested it.

Not a fair weather shooting kinda guy.

yes, developed an extremely accurate load in mid May. 60 degrees. 4465 asl. 3355 fps

shot in July at 98 degrees, shot about 1.75" high at 400 and was flattening primers and estimated to be pushing 3430 fps

shooting coyotes in late Jan. missed low by over 2.5 MOA on a coyote. estimated now in the upper 2900's to very low 3's. shot two more shots at same distance and were right in there with the first shot.... that eliminated shooter error.

I have noticed the same with r-19. Developed a load for a 22-6mm at 35 degress. At 70 degrees had a velocity gain of 150 f/s and was blowing primers. I am done with that stuff! I don't really want two or three different loads depending on temp.

by shooting in July at 98 degrees and by hunting coyotes in -15 degrees in the winter.

I actually shoot/hunt year around. That is how I tested it.

Not a fair weather shooting kinda guy.

I agree with you Scott.....I went to H4350 after a total failure with 17 when it was 35* below zero hunting coyotes with my 6XC. Velocity drop was off the charts.

RL-17 is absolutely terrible when it come to temperature stability. About anyone who has used it has had the same experience SenderoMan is describing.

Sendero Man knows what he is talking about.... I would take his advice. My 6 Crusader is still hammering away with Copper Creek Ammo!

Well Ill be testing RE17 in my 6 Creed in May, Im sure the temps wont be very warm, maybe mid 70s at best, then Ill wait for a nice HOT day in July and see what happens. I find it hard to believe Eldiablo had pressure issues with RE19 in temps from 35 to 70 degrees, unless he had the shells sitting under the hot sun for a very long time, 70 is not hot, or even warm for that matter.

JGorski, R17 being sensitive to temperature swings is common knowledge. It's been proven by MANY MANY reloaders. If you tend to only shoot in mild temps then it's no issue.

Well Ill be testing RE17 in my 6 Creed in May, Im sure the temps wont be very warm, maybe mid 70s at best, then Ill wait for a nice HOT day in July and see what happens. I find it hard to believe Eldiablo had pressure issues with RE19 in temps from 35 to 70 degrees, unless he had the shells sitting under the hot sun for a very long time, 70 is not hot, or even warm for that matter.

Warm loads in mild temps with temp sensitive powders can become a primer spitter in warmer temps. It just depends how much pressure you've worked the load to be in the lower temps. I used to use R-17 in my 6x47L and decided against it after my second barrel gave out at 1500 rounds. Also I was chasing the throat every 3-4 months and adjusting the load to bring it back so my dope would line up again.

Try H-4831 in your 6 Creed when you've learned the hard way, LOL.

Warm loads in mild temps with temp sensitive powders can become a primer spitter in warmer temps. It just depends how much pressure you've worked the load to be in the lower temps. I used to use R-17 in my 6x47L and decided against it after my second barrel gave out at 1500 rounds. Also I was chasing the throat every 3-4 months and adjusting the load to bring it back so my dope would line up again.

Try H-4831 in your 6 Creed when you've learned the hard way, LOL.

You really think my barrel will be done in 1500 rounds? Guess Ill have to shoot and find out.

I think all double based powders are temp sensitive. All I have tried are anyway.

The 105 Berger Hybrids are shooting great in the 6mm Crusader! We are finished with our testing and have come up with an accurate load.
Thanks goes to Josh @ Copper Creek!

The 105 Berger Hybrids are shooting great in the 6mm Crusader! We are finished with our testing and have come up with an accurate load.
Thanks goes to Josh @ Copper Creek!

What kind of velocities are you getting with the 105? This cartridge has always intrigued me...

Thanks KYS

What kind of velocities are you getting with the 105? This cartridge has always intrigued me...

Thanks KYS

Around 3350 was my target speed. No pressure signs, ejector swipes, or hard bolt lifts. This is one of my favorite calibers to shoot next to my 6mm creedmoor and 6.5 SAUM.

Around 3350 was my target speed. No pressure signs, ejector swipes, or hard bolt lifts. This is one of my favorite calibers to shoot next to my 6mm creedmoor and 6.5 SAUM.

I have a 6 creed, with a 6.5 SAUM on the way...might have to play with this one too...

Thanks for the info guys!

The 6mm Crusader certainly has a huge grin effect sending 115 gr Dtacs at 3300 fps, 6.5 Saum is on its way :)

Anyone burn a barrel out yet? If so, how many rounds? How about H1000 or Ramshot magnum powders?

Anyone burn a barrel out yet? If so, how many rounds? How about H1000 or Ramshot magnum powders?

Runs about the same as a 243. 2500 rounds
No need for magnum powders as this is not a magnum. H4350 is all you need.

Runs about the same as a 243. 2500 rounds
No need for magnum powders as this is not a magnum. H4350 is all you need.

Thanks for the info! I was really hoping to run cooler magnum powder with reduced pressure loads and 115 gr bullets. That Retumbo and H1000 data kombayotch posted looked interesting.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The Berger 105gr Hybrid crushes the 115 DTAC in performance.

Sorry if I missed the comparison, but what is the advantage of the 6mm crusader over the 243AI? Thanks!

I been reading though here. I don't have a 6 Crusader but I do have a 6mm AI. Anyone know if a H4350 load will be fine behind a 105 Hybrid from my 6 AI? As much as I have ready I believe internal case volume is pretty close between 6mm Crusader and 6mm AI. Any help would be appreciated.

6mm Crusader and 6mmAI have pretty much identical case capacity. Loads are interchangeable between the two.

I use mine for F class and pulled the first barrel at 1000 rounds, but I would have quite happily shot game with it beyond 1000 rounds, so 2000 plus would be quite likely if it was just a hunting rifle.
I used N560 and RL25, N560 is known to be hard on barrels, H1000 lacked velocity and accuracy.