• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7.62x54R vs 1"steel

Grizzdude

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2011
sites.google.com
Check out this video I just made

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I5yPTSYRmGs&feature=youtu.be"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I5yPTSYRmGs&feature=youtu.be" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Enjoy!!!

Re: 7.62x54R vs 1"steel

Brown Bear is 203g soft point. I'd be interested in seeing what steel core or even some of the heavy ball yellow tip ammo I have would do to steel that thick. I have hit tank armor with mine at 100 but it was just shrugged off. Now thats some tough metal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mosinmatt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive never shot the brown bear ammo what grain were you shooting? </div></div>

These were 174gr FMJ bullets. I get these for $7.95 a box online at SGAMMO.com they have very cheap shipping too. I've gone through about 300 rounds and so far I like the quality of these brown bears.

Cool video!

This round has plenty of power, for sure.

While I haven't shot the Brown Bear, myself, a friend of mine shoots them out of his B barrel M39 and gets really good accuracy (1.5MOA at 200 yards). Not too shabby for cheap, Russian commercial ammo.

I just bought 100rds of Privi 182gr FMJBT (brass reloadable), I really like it though kind of spendy for target ammo.

Anyone that shoots Prvi and doesn't reload, I'll buy your brass for $6.00 box...standing offer, just pm me...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone that shoots Prvi and doesn't reload, I'll buy your brass for $6.00 box...standing offer, just pm me...</div></div>

I shoot it and do not reload. I need 100 posts first
smile.gif

Next time I run through some of it I will hit you up. I have two boxes I should go through soon.........picked up a M28/76
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hellion_locdogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just bought 100rds of Privi 182gr FMJBT (brass reloadable), I really like it though kind of spendy for target ammo.</div></div>

It is pretty good stuff, some of it is sold as 7.62x53R as well and the D166 and later SAKO seem to like it better. Most of the FMJ surplus is .311-313 and the D166 marked receivers and SAKO x53R don't like that down the barrel.

If you shoot the steel core stuff you need to know that the steel core rod may bounce back at you. It did for me when shooting at an armor steel swing target at 100 yrds or less . Most just fell under the target but some must of be hit like a swinging baseball bat. Makes a strange sound when you have one come back at you.

You should angle the target a little so it wont bounce back at YOU, maybe at you buddies at the range, but not YOU...just kidding someone will get hurt. DON'T do it at a range with others at it or around the area.

The steel in the surplus 7.62x54R is some tough stuff. It made the armored steel buckle a little but the steel rod did not get damaged. They all were just like the one I pulled from a bullet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: landtoy80</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you shoot the steel core stuff you need to know that the steel core rod may bounce back at you. It did for me when shooting at an armor steel swing target at 100 yrds or less . Most just fell under the target but some must of be hit like a swinging baseball bat. Makes a strange sound when you have one come back at you.</div></div>

I use swinging targets. Never really thought too hard about the right timing they would smack right back at you. Nice info!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete Sake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it a bi-metal bullet? </div></div>

These were lead core with a copper jacket.

It be nice to compare what a steel core round will do. I don't have any surplus atm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grizzdude</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete Sake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it a bi-metal bullet? </div></div>

These were lead core with a copper jacket.

It be nice to compare what a steel core round will do. I don't have any surplus atm.

</div></div>

Im talking about bi metal not steel core. Bi metal looks like a lead core but a magnet will stick to it. It will tear steel up pretty well.