• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm SAW

dehydrate your powder
Shit, I didn't even think about this, that would make the most sense. Climate here in the wet and humid part of WA is quite a bit different than the climate in the midlands of west Texas. How do you recommend dehydrating the powder (I have A LOT of it)

Reactions: Bmaier69
Man, I forgot about this. Back in the day benchrest guys running their powder on trays in a food dehydrator for 1 hour before throwing it; all of them were doing it.
minimizes lot to lot difference. also dryer powder means more kernels per weight which means more speed

Reactions: OLD308
I have not had time to work up my H4350 loads but ! RL 16 ( 46.3g/ 175g elite hunters) has yielded 2777 fps @ 5000 feet elevation with a SAW II 26" Bartlein 1n9 to1n8.25" GT barrel. I wonder if the 22" proof @ sea level has some effect? also I missed what brand brass you are using ?, I'm using Alpha Munitions and 46.3g is a compressed load. I have not seen any pressure signs also! . As previously stated all barrels are not the same and also powder can vary from lot to lot. If I can find the time ( most likely after the holiday season ) I plan on 175's with H 4350 and 162's also and will post results!

Thinking of trying the 151gr monolithic bullets from PVA in a type 1 chamber.
What powder should I get.
Varget will probably build pressure, but I fear H4350 and RE16 will be too compressed with such a long bullet seated deep in the case.

Thinking of trying the 151gr monolithic bullets from PVA in a type 1 chamber.
What powder should I get.
Varget will probably build pressure, but I fear H4350 and RE16 will be too compressed with such a long bullet seated deep in the case.

There's a few options to try between varget and RL16.

Powder Burn Rates.jpg

FYI, found the issue with my slow performance and inabilty to reach pressure - old Proof barrel. I've had this barrel sitting in the safe for a couple years, bought back when Proof was still hand-lapping their sticks. Pulled it off and found it "hogged out" about halfway down the length from short-stroking the hand-lapping process. This has been an issue for Proof's slow barrels and one of the reasons why they went to mechanical lapping. They're replacing it as we speak.

Last edited:
FYI, found the issue with my slow performance and inabilty to reach pressure - old Proof barrel. I've had this barrel sitting in the safe for a couple years, bought back when Proof was still hand-lapping their sticks. Pulled it off and found it "hogged out" about halfway down the length from short-stroking the hand-lapping process. This has been an issue for Proof's slow barrels and one of the reasons why they went to mechanical lapping. They're replacing it as we speak.
nice. good service

I know 39gr varget behind a 162eldm is a 2700fpm break in load.
Due to shortages, I need to use Ramshot TAC.
Would 39gr be a good starting point?

Keep in mind: this is intel with Ramshot TAC with a barrel that had a bore problem and low pressure capability.

Berger 175 Elite
Start - 41gr 2641fps
Max - 43gr 2751fps, faint swipe

Sierra 168 MK
Start - 42gr 2733fps
Max - 44gr 2841fps, mild swipe, a little bolt lift

I am just trying to emulate the 39 gr varget 162eldm break in load.
27" Criterion 1:8. Brand new barrel with cleaning between shots.
1...39gr varget. 2639
2...39gr TAC. 2594
3...40gr TAC. 2740
4...39.3gr TAC. Battery oops
5...39.3gr TAC. 2683

Guess I'll load up a bunch of 39gr TAC since 39.3 is already trying to break 2700fps.

Last edited:
I am just trying to emulate the 39 gr varget 162eldm break in load.
27" Criterion 1:8. Brand new barrel with cleaning between shots.
1...39gr varget. 2639
2...39gr TAC. 2594
3...40gr TAC. 2740
4...39.3gr TAC. Battery oops
5...39.3gr TAC. 2683

Guess I'll load up a bunch of 39gr TAC since 39.3 is already trying to break 2700fps.
Curious where you ended up on your loads?

I just ordered the reamer and brass, should have a rifle put together in a few weeks. I have 8208, 4064, Varget, and H4350 to work with.

Curious where you ended up on your loads?

I just ordered the reamer and brass, should have a rifle put together in a few weeks. I have 8208, 4064, Varget, and H4350 to work with.
I never got beyond this. I have had the worst year of my life and a major health issue stop my shooting hobby.

My accuracy load in my SAW II chamber in a 22" Proof Carbon barrel:
168 gr Berger Hybrid Target @ 2930 fps
48 grs of N550
2.220" to ogive
Converted Lapua 308 Palma
TBAC Ultra 7

• Wow
Reactions: R_A_W
Tell me about it. My barrel wanted nothing to do with H4350, mediocre velocity, and shot just okay with light loads, and Varget was too fast, pressured out before I could make a reasonable speed. But once I switched to N550, it shot good groups with every load, and shot great groups at a 1/2 grain below max. 48 grains holds less than an inch of vertical dispersion at 1000. Some like it 🔥!

Last edited:
It was asked before, but to refresh. Putting together a 7SAW (Type I Reamer) Origin and looking to find out if anyone has used a shorter/20” barrel? Ordered my barrel this week, but thinking I should move up to at least 22” to prevent losing so much velocity. WTO’s barrel chop testing apparently stopped at 26”? Not sure why they even bothered with the test if we can’t see where the velocity drop/diminishing return rate is.

This is a hunting rifle, and I’m thinking of using PVA Cayuga 151gr bullets. I have plenty of Varget or H4350 to use. Also saw someone mention using 8208XBR, which would also be great but that looks well outside recommended burn rate?

It was asked before, but to refresh. Putting together a 7SAW (Type I Reamer) Origin and looking to find out if anyone has used a shorter/20” barrel? Ordered my barrel this week, but thinking I should move up to at least 22” to prevent losing so much velocity. WTO’s barrel chop testing apparently stopped at 26”? Not sure why they even bothered with the test if we can’t see where the velocity drop/diminishing return rate is.

This is a hunting rifle, and I’m thinking of using PVA Cayuga 151gr bullets. I have plenty of Varget or H4350 to use. Also saw someone mention using 8208XBR, which would also be great but that looks well outside recommended burn rate?
How did you find a type one reamer? They only had type two to sell to me a few weeks ago.

Im getting really good speed (2930fps) from 48 grains of N550 out of my 22" Proof.

Im getting really good speed (2930fps) from 48 grains of N550 out of my 22" Proof.
With the 151 Cayuga? And you have the Type II, right? If I can reasonably hit 2900fps, I’ll be happy.

Damn I’m just hoping for 2800.
Looking at velocities others are hitting, I don’t think 2900 with a 151gr is asking a lot. Just my guess, so we’ll see. Should have it all put together sometime in early September if all goes well.

Is anyone running a short barrel for this chambering? My switchlugs have arrived in Aus and I'm going to get a 28" for comp and a 16-18" barrel for scrub work. Unsure on powder choice for a short barrel but would probably run something like the 140gr accubond, TGK, SST or interbond projectiles. Anyone have any experience?

Is anyone running a short barrel for this chambering? My switchlugs have arrived in Aus and I'm going to get a 28" for comp and a 16-18" barrel for scrub work. Unsure on powder choice for a short barrel but would probably run something like the 140gr accubond, TGK, SST or interbond projectiles. Anyone have any experience?
Try posting in here. Lots of guys with short barrels, might be one watching this thread with a 7SAW?

Reactions: Simia Dei
Try posting in here. Lots of guys with short barrels, might be one watching this thread with a 7SAW?
Cheers mate, I see you guys have already started discussing it there.

Reactions: Anb618
Finally got my Bartlein in. 24” fluted from Greg at Southern Precision. I now have a type 2 reamer if anyone needs to borrow one to send work their way.

Attachments

• 9FF08AC6-B906-41B5-9976-C43F8FBF52A7.jpeg
    9FF08AC6-B906-41B5-9976-C43F8FBF52A7.jpeg
    316.6 KB · Views: 114
Two questions;

1) Anyone using WTO’s ADG brass and had trouble getting some of the brass into a shell holder? Started prepping brass and priming my test loads on a RamPrime, and found 3 out of the first 30 that were too tight to fit in my Lyman #2 shell holder. Never seen that before, curious what’s up. Never had a problem with this shell holder with 6CM or .308, so I’m confident it’s not my equipment.

2) Does WTO publicly publish load data, or do you have to contact them to email something out? I’m gonna be using 151gr Cayugas and Varget. Was hoping to start loading tonight, but probably gonna hold off until next weekend. Looking around here I see some guys mentioning WTO’s load data, but can’t find it anywhere online.
If the load data is only passed on by word, any chance someone could provide some better details? I’ll be awake until probably 6am CST with nothing better to do and willing to start loading anytime before then. 😁

Clayton's load data is plastered right on the website

And there is plenty of it on here too

But idk if you'll find any with solids just yet. Start low and work up

1) Anyone using WTO’s ADG brass and had trouble getting some of the brass into a shell holder? Started prepping brass and priming my test loads on a RamPrime, and found 3 out of the first 30 that were too tight to fit in my Lyman #2 shell holder. Never seen that before, curious what’s up. Never had a problem with this shell holder with 6CM or .308, so I’m confident it’s not my equipment.

You mean Alpha brass? I don't think ADG is making 7 SAW?
2) Does WTO publicly publish load data, or do you have to contact them to email something out? I’m gonna be using 151gr Cayugas and Varget. Was hoping to start loading tonight, but probably gonna hold off until next weekend. Looking around here I see some guys mentioning WTO’s load data, but can’t find it anywhere online.
If the load data is only passed on by word, any chance someone could provide some better details? I’ll be awake until probably 6am CST with nothing better to do and willing to start loading anytime before then. 😁
They data they've published:

I'd give a shout over to them and ask if they've heard of any data/experiences with the solids and/or lighter weight bullets?

Clayton is definitely one of the good guys and will gladly share any information that he has. He is probably at the shop right now.

Reactions: davere
Clayton's load data is plastered right on the website

And there is plenty of it on here too

But idk if you'll find any with solids just yet. Start low and work up

I'd give a shout over to them and ask if they've heard of any data/experiences with the solids and/or lighter weight bullets?

I guess I was hoping for more data than just those tests? I’m sure there had to be a lot more data in their wildcatting testing before they made the cartridge commercially available.

Sorry, meant Alpha brass. My bad. Anyone have this issue with their brass?
Clayton is definitely one of the good guys and will gladly share any information that he has. He is probably at the shop right now.
I’ll give them a call. Thanks.

That’s pretty decent speeds for 185’s.

For anyone else looking, Clayton at WTO suggested a starting load of 41gr Varget with ~150gr copper solids. Said he’d expect a possible top end somewhere near 43.5-44gr, but 41 would be a safe start.

Reactions: Krob95
Shit, I didn't even think about this, that would make the most sense. Climate here in the wet and humid part of WA is quite a bit different than the climate in the midlands of west Texas. How do you recommend dehydrating the powder (I have A LOT of it)

Posting my initial load development for those wondering about results from a short barrel 7SAW.

Barrel;
Preferred Barrel Blanks - 7mm SAW Type II, 20”, 1:8 (0.810 Taperless contour)

Load;
Varget, 151gr PVA Cayuga’s, Federal SRP, WTO/Alpha Brass

41.4gr - 2597, 2608, 2586
Avg-2597 SD-11 ES-22
(These 3 were shots 2-5 through the barrel, cleaned between each shot)

41.4gr - 2617, 2605, 2620
Avg-2614 SD-7 ES-15

41.7gr - 2622, 2630, 2616
Avg-2622 ES-16 SD not recorded; Magnetospeed combined with prior charge weight. Forgot to delete group.

42.0gr - 2630, 2642, 2635
Avg-2635 SD-6 ES-12

42.3gr - 2681, 2670, 2644
Avg-2665 SD-19 ES-37

42.6gr - 2681, 2698, 2740
Avg-2706 SD-30 ES-59

42.9gr - 2722, 2732, 2700
Avg-2718 SD-16 ES-32

43.2gr - 2737, 2724, 2740
Avg-2733 SD-8 ES-16

43.5gr - 2756, 2751, 2740
Avg-2749 SD-8 ES-16
(First sign of light Ejector channel marks on the brass. Just a shadow, no surface indentation. No other pressure signs)

43.8gr - 2766, 2773, 2789
Avg-2776 SD-11 ES-23
(Some very light Ejector channel marks on the brass, no other pressure signs)

44.1gr - 2797, 2797, 2789
Avg-2794 SD-4 ES-8
(Some very light Ejector marks on the brass, first sign of bolt lift sticking)

Had a few more charges loaded, but decided to stop there. 2800fps out of a 20” barrel will do fine, and maybe the barrel even speeds up a little with time.

This is fantastic data man. I just bought a 1/9tw proof carbon barrel and my smith recommended the 7SAW over the 708AI. Looking at running the 151gr PVA solids and have a bunch of h4350 and varget to burn. Also the fact its SRP is good be cause that’s all I have. I’ll be following this closely

Curious if anyone has used Norma 203b or VV N140 as a Varget substitute in their 7 SAW? Can’t find Varget or any N550, but I’ve got plenty of 203b and n140.

Anyone with an AIAT or AX that has had a 7mm SAW barrel spun up? Just curious who you had do it.

Last edited: