• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing Accubond or partition for elk

bradpierson26

Private
Minuteman
Sep 4, 2009
Greeley, CO
Next fall will hopefully be my first year hunting elk. I know i need so go with whatever shoots best out of my gun but if they are equally accurate, which should i take?
here's the rig
browning xbolt 30-06 zeiss conquest 3-9x40
IMG_3269.jpg

Re: Accubond or partition for elk

All reports tell of approximately equal terminal performance under normal range (sub 300 yard), but the Partition loses velocity more quickly than the Accubond because of lower BC. If you're confident taking shots beyond 300 yds, I'd lean toward the Accubond. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter much. Good luck with your first hunt!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical Rancher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All reports tell of approximately equal terminal performance under normal range (sub 300 yard), but the Partition loses velocity more quickly than the Accubond because of lower BC. If you're confident taking shots beyond 300 yds, I'd lean toward the Accubond. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter much. Good luck with your first hunt! </div></div>
Perfect explaination.

I have had good luck with both out of 270wby and 300 wby. I think either one will work well for you.

They are both great bullets for killing elk. I find the Accubond is more accurate in my rifles, and has a better B.C.
180 grain is plenty of bullet for an elk.

I agree with OAM, the 180 gr pill works wonders on elk.

I tried the Berger VLD hunting last season with great success. I was shooting the 210 out of a 300 rum though. Made a drop dead kill at 997 yards. Bullet had tremendous expansion even at that distance.

My vote is for the partion. I've made great shots, and not so great shots on elk.....on the not so great shots (shoulders, angles where you get ribs before vitals, leg bones, etc.) I've never seen the partion come apart and shed the lead core from the copper jacket. They are tough bullets.

Six in one, half dozen in the other. Pick the one that shoots best and go with it.

I have never achieved the accuracy with the Partitions that I would like to see, but the Accu-bonds usually shoot very well. The only load I have personally used on elk is the 180 AB out of a 300WM. The Accu-bond will work great on elk.

I'll echo what Jimbo says - I have never had good luck making partitions shoot well - 243, 257, 7mm, 308 (150s and 180s)

Accubonds have shot very well for me - I have a 270WSM that loves the 140s. I'd venture that their terminal performance should be the same but if you were to buy one box to try first - go with the accubonds!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D-SKIT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'd venture that their terminal performance should be the same but if you were to buy one box to try first - go with the accubonds! </div></div>

I got a smokin deal on 2 boxes of partitions so thats what i'll try first.
I'll keep my eyes peeled for accubonds though

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are both great bullets for killing elk. I find the Accubond is more accurate in my rifles, and has a better B.C.
180 grain is plenty of bullet for an elk.</div></div>

+1

Both are great bullets for elk. I chose the Accubond myself. My last one went through about 4 feet of elk with the angle, & left a exit about 3" in dia. Never seen one come apart. Only recovered 1. Hit the spine @ over 200 yds. Found it under the skin on the off side perfect mushroom.

I have had no problem getting .5moa from either bullet and have killed a lot of game with both, including elk and grizzles. I can say that a Barnes TS will out do either. (better and more likely exit wounds) and will shoot no other on the bigger animals now.