• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Adjustable cheek piece bolts

youngun

Private
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2012
G'day
Probably the dumbest question I have ever asked but does any one know what you would call the bolts with plastic nuts that come with most kits? I have made a kydex cheek piece for my Savage and currently running standard bolts with wing nuts which looks shocking.

I've searched over the internet yet found nothing.

Cheers

Re: Adjustable cheek piece bolts

I went to my local hardware store and in the specialty bolt bins they had the plastic knobs like you see on some rifles. Those paired with a black lag bolt and it looks pretty good. I think they were only a few bucks each and were right next other style knobs like T knobs and even knobs for your grill!
Hope that helps a little bit.

Cheers, I'll raid the hardware tomorrow but I doubt I will find much as they aren't overly well stocked.

What you seek is a carriage bolt. It has a rounded head with the first 1/4" or so of the shank squared off. That prevents the bolt from spinning as you tighten things down, plus the round head makes for a smooth appearance/feel. You'll need one long enough to cross the stock and cheekpiece and then engage the threads on whatever nut you're using. From the pics I've seen I'm guessing 3/8" carriage bolt by about 2" or 2 1/2" would do.

Yes thank you Ranger carriage bolts not lag bolts. I found all my stuff at Menards and it works/looks great! I also used rubber washers between the cheek riser and stock...not sure if I needed to but it seems to hold fine and not move around!