• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any Interest in Steyr SSG 69 Aluminum Trig. Guard

Re: Any Interest in Steyr SSG 69 Aluminum Trig. Guard

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JFK52</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> That is why I have a large number of the factory mags in stock. </div></div>

I prefer to use genuine Steyr Mannlicher SSG 69 magazines (5 rounds only - no protrusion under the rifle), so I completely agree with you about the idea of keeping "a large number of factory mags in stock".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: awp762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have talked with ogonzalez13 about this. He is trying to get new bottom metal made to use factory magazines.

I am trying to get ones made to use with AICS magazines.

My current vendor would like an estimate of how many people would be interested in an AICS type replacement. I looked at the old posts to get an estimate.

</div></div>

Count me out on this one. I am not interested in AICS magazines in the Steyr Mannlicher SSG 69 rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adding emphasis to what awp762 said</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am trying to get ones made to use with <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="color: #FF0000">AICS magazines</span></span></span>.

My current vendor would like an estimate of how many people would be interested in an <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="color: #FF0000">AICS</span></span></span> type replacement. I looked at the old posts to get an estimate.</div></div>
This is what I thought "Styria" was bringiing to market. Either way, it will increase the resale value of SSG 69's as many potential buyers, like myself, will view the SSG in a much more positive light.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adding emphasis to what awp762 said</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am trying to get ones made to use with <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="color: #FF0000">AICS magazines</span></span></span>.

My current vendor would like an estimate of how many people would be interested in an <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="color: #FF0000">AICS</span></span></span> type replacement. I looked at the old posts to get an estimate.</div></div>
This is what I thought "Styria" was bringiing to market. Either way, it will increase the resale value of SSG 69's as many potential buyers, like myself, will view the SSG in a much more positive light. </div></div>

Yes this is what Styria is trying to do. I have never seen or heard or one being delivered in the USA, hence the reason i went to a machine shop to have my project done. He has made several gun related items before which is why i contacted him.

If i could get one that is made to use Steyr magazines then that would be fine too. If i remember correctly the one Styria was making cost around $600 delivered in the USA, which I think this is way too much money for bottom metal. Once again who has received one here? The last qoute i had was higher than that & it was for a piece that used Steyr magazines.

FYI:
I have had 2 trigger guards crack on me over 16+ years & no magazines have broken. I just hate calling Steyr to buy new ones. In case anybody didn't know the new Steyr guards have metal inserts in the bolt holes to help avoid breakage.

Correct. The new Steyr SSG 69 trigger guard/mag wells have metal inserts in the bolt holes - and the metal is ferrous (magnet). So, no aluminum or pot metal. Some kind of steel, I guess.

Keeping this alive. Any updates?

Yes I would really would like to see this come to light. With the Aics mags.

Still wanting.....

Mr. Seekins could crank these out in a heartbeat. Has anybody checked to see if he is interested - especially with McMillan's interest?

Use of a standard AICS type magazine would be most reliable and universal although I am emotionally partial to the uniqueness of the factory rotary design.

Mine broke today! I'll take one either way(69mags or AICS). Steyr got everything right but the plastic.

The guy from Styria is a waste of space. I've sent him emails and have had no reply. Just wish someone on here would give this one a legup because they would fly off the shelf!

I am still working with my possible supplier. This has been going on for over a year. I do know this is low priority for him & i haven't been pressuring him at all.

I'll contact him this week to see where he is at. What do you guys think is a reasonable price for one that uses:

AICS magazines?
Steyr magazines?

I've spoken with the folks at CDI and they seem interested. If more here would relay inquiries if their own, they may just get moving on it. They are a smallish shop that can likely react pretty quickly.

I will state again that I love and admire the rotary magazine but the AICS would be far more practical in the long run from reliability standpoint alone.

Ok guys supposedly i will have a prototype in hand by the end of this month or maybe the first week of next month. I will keep you posted as to how things work out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: awp762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am still working with my possible supplier. This has been going on for over a year. I do know this is low priority for him & i haven't been pressuring him at all.

I'll contact him this week to see where he is at. What do you guys think is a reasonable price for one that uses:

AICS magazines?
Steyr magazines? </div></div>

AICS magazines? Not interested.

Steyr magazines? About $500.00 US (I am assuming that those SSG 69 Aluminum trigger guard/mag wells would be available outside the U.S., of course).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carcajou</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: awp762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am still working with my possible supplier. This has been going on for over a year. I do know this is low priority for him & i haven't been pressuring him at all.

AICS magazines?
Steyr magazines? </div></div>

AICS magazines? Not interested.

Steyr magazines? About $500.00 US (I am assuming that those SSG 69 Aluminum trigger guard/mag wells would be available outside the U.S., of course).

</div></div>

Not sure which model he is doing first, probably the one for standard Steyr magazines. I know he plans on doing both but which one will show up is a crapshoot at this time. I didn't want to step on anyone’s toes doing these but at this point in time i'll take whatever comes along. Will they be available outside the USA, i do not know. I would assume the answer is yes but i can't confirm or deny that. Once i get the prototype in my hands & test it, i'll provide another update hopefully with costs & lead times.

I've been trying to get someone to manufacture these for many years or buy one somewhere. This <span style="font-weight: bold">seems</span> like the first real opportunity to get what we have all been hoping for, a guard made out of aluminum.

awp762,

Just one more commentary regarding the availability of those SSG 69 Aluminum trigger guard/mag wells outside the USA.

During the last four years, I have been in contact (emails) intermittently with Mr Oliver Bauer, Sales Manager at STEYR MANNLICHER GmbH, always about their marvelous SSG 69 rifles - naturally !

In one of his emails (08/26/2011), Mr Bauer was answering one of my questions about the Steyr Mannlicher SSG 69 rifle production and here is what he wrote to me, in part:

"Until now, about 40,000 pieces have left the factory to ... around the globe.

Oliver Bauer
Sales Manager
--------------------
STEYR MANNLICHER GmbH
Ramingtal 46
A-4442 Kleinraming
Austria"

Now, 40,000 rifles is not that many rifles but the key words here are "around the globe" - I think. I wouldn't stake my life on it but I will be bold enough to say that most of those rifles have been sold outside the USA.
If only 5% of the owners of those rifles decide to buy replacement SSG 69 trigger guard/mag wells, that would amount to roughly 2,000 units - and again, with most of those rifle owners outside the USA. I must add that 5% is a pretty conservative figure; maybe it would be 10% or more ?

All of this to say that maybe - just maybe - the future manufacturer (hopefully, there will be one) should take into account the assertion of Mr Bauer, who in his position after all, must know pretty well the whereabouts of all the Steyr Mannlicher SSG 69 rifles in the world.

Carcajou

Carcajou,

I appreciate your input, thanks. I sent you a PM.

Hopefully other people will chime in at to what they think the cost of these should be.

As of now i have no clue of the costs but as you know costs also depend upon how many can be manufactured in s single production run.

As soon as i have a prototype, find out which version it is & see if it works properly in a few rifles, i'll post an update.

When i find out where they will or can be shipped to i'll let everyone know.

I would like one as well! AICS or rotary

I have e-mailed Styriaarms but as yet, no reply.

I really want bottom metal with AICS mag capability.

I am in UK.

Surely, its best to go AICS ? The point of replacing the bottom metal is to improve a weak point. In that case, why not also eliminate the other weak point, the plastic mag ?

Also, 10 round AICS mags are going to be a lot cheaper than 10 round Steyr mags !!

I know at least 5 guys here in UK ( and a few in Ireland ) who would go for the AICS option.

The folks at CDI have indicated they have looked at this as well and are possibly going to proceed - with the more robust AICS mag system. I am ready either way really.

And in a reply from Styria after a second request months ago.....

Stahl Abzugsbügel / steel Triggerguard - for Steyr SSG 69

Play video
NEU: Styria Arms - MX Abzugsbügel für SSG 69 Hier sehen Sie ein kleines einfaches Video vom neuen MX Abzugsbügel für SSG 69 - Gen. III. Dieses patentierte Magazinsystem akzeptiert die weltweit…
00:01:14
Added on 2/17/13

Sehr geehrte Kunden / Dear customers

In den letzten Monaten haben wir die ersten Produktionslose an Behörden ausgeliefert. Nun können auch Privatkunden bestellen. / within the last month we have sold the first production lots to Law Enforcement customers. No private customers can place their orders.

Hier finden Sie alle Infos und auch Bestellinfos zum neuen MX Stahl Abzugsbügel für das Steyr SSG 69 / here you find all infos and order infos for the new MX steel triggerguard for Steyr SSG 69: http://www.styriaarms.com/pdf/2013.02.16%20-%20Steyr%20SSG%2069%20steel%20triggerguard.pdf

Und hier haben wir für Sie ein kleines einfaches Video vom fertigen Produkt auf Youtube hochgeladen / and here you can see a small simple video of the new product on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wg-P1x0AO8

Mfg

Styria Arms
Ing. Michael W. Mayerl
Ingenieur für Waffentechnik & Maschinenbau
engineer for weapon design
Bundesstrasse 66 / A.I.Z.
A – 8740 Zeltweg
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.styriaarms.com www.ior-optik.com www.waffenanmeldung.at

UID: ATU 62077139

And they quickly responded this am to......

Thank you so very much for your response and congratulations on the new product. Can you please estimate when units will be available for public consumption?

Hallo

You can now order. The first lot for civilians are ready for shipping now.

Mfg

Styria Arms
Ing. Michael W. Mayerl
Ingenieur für Waffentechnik & Maschinenbau
engineer for weapon design
Bundesstrasse 66 / A.I.Z.
A – 8740 Zeltweg
We

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackbrush</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone want to try to organize a group purchase?

</div></div>
You might want to check with the last person who tried getting a group buy going with them,Emouse.

From what i recall their pricing was around $600 delivered back when that buy was supposed to happen which never did.

Do you have any updated pricing with freight quotes?

FYI: i am <span style="font-weight: bold">supposed</span> to get samples from my manufacturer towards the end of this month. As of the last time we talked he may make both types of bottom metal, AICS magazine compatible & regular steyr magazines.

I been waiting for something like this to materialize, for years now. It is a bit pricey,
358 Euro's = $477.00 Bottom Metal
25 Euro's= $33.00 shipping - $510.00 Shipped

I would like to see the sample, that awp762 is supposed to have by the end of the month from his source before I drop this kind of coin.

My understanding is that Styria wasn't fully ready with their product when emouse was pursuing the deal. If you look at all of their material, they refined their design through various prototypes. If they are in fact done and ready to ship then it is definitely worth looking at. While expensive, it appears to be built like the proverbial brick shithouse. It also comes with options such as trigger adjustment and release lever options.

I love the clever design of the rotary magazine (the original all metal MS was best) but plastic really doesn't belong a a weapon you intend to keep and use and possibly abuse for a long time. Alas, the AICS/Alpha mags are the way to go for serious business.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: willor58</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I been waiting for something like this to materialize, for years now. It is a bit pricey,
358 Euro's = $477.00 Bottom Metal
25 Euro's= $33.00 shipping - $510.00 Shipped

I would like to see the sample, that awp762 is supposed to have by the end of the month from his source before I drop this kind of coin. </div></div>

We have all been waiting for something like this for years!!

Their pricing is still very high in my opinion @ $510.00 shipped. Hopefully by the end of this month i'll have confirmed pricing from my vendor. As soon as i get the next update i'll let everyone know.

Anyone in the UK wish to get together for a group buy ? I have contacted styria regarding bulk prices. Pm if interested

Did they quote a bulk price? Quantity required and approx price please......that is if you'll share?

Thanks

Anyone in the UK wish to get together for a group buy ? I have contacted styria regarding bulk prices. Pm if interested

I am interested.

Had a response from Styria saying that first batch were sold to Police and Military. And second batch were available to order now. Then they mentioned making them every four months !

I placed an order and asked if the second batch was available now or in four months - had no response. E-mailed back twice. Still no response. These guys are very slow to respond !!!!!

I also contacted CDI - I said that if they came to market first, I would go with them. They said they have a test rifle and are working on this bottom metal. That was a month ago. Asked again and they said no progress yet and to "keep checking website for news" - well, website shows last "news" on any new product as Sept 2012.

Seems like nobody is in a hurry with this project despite lots of interest !!

Last edited:
UPDATE

Well, its looking promising !

Styria have accepted my order. I have been sent an invoice to pay - off to the bank to sort that today.

Only downside is that because I am in UK, I have to pay the tax on it ( an extra 120usd approx. ) This applies anywhere in UK but I believe you US guys should get it tax free.

I am in Brazil for another 10 days so, it might be waiting for me when I get home !!

Is anyone taking mass order? If so, who is the point of contact?

Well, it was taking a while and I was worried but it has arrived finally !!

First impressions - quality !! It is heavier than I expected. The fit to my McMillan stock is very snug. The magazine fit within the unit is nice and snug too.

Just waiting on my trigger ( swapping my double set trigger for a standard one ) to arrive before I put it all together and see how it functions.

A few pics.

Attachments

• styria 1.jpg
    styria 1.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 49
  • styria 2.jpg
    styria 2.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 43
  • styria 4.jpg
    styria 4.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 52
fluffybunny,

1. Is the material aluminum or steel…I have seen both mentioned?
2.If you would, post a few more pictures…especially of the mag release.
3.What is the actual cost?
4.It looks like a drop in fit.
5.I have been waiting years for this…

Thanks…

It is steel and heavier than I expected - very solid.

I have no more pics at the moment.

The mag release is a simple vertical lever. Two are supplied - short and long. The long is about 15mm proud of the trigger guard BUT it is proud of the 5 rd mag when fitted, so I went for the shorter one to avoid accidental release. Both are included though.

It was 440 euros inc one 5 rd mag within EU ( We have to pay EU tax ) and it will be tax free to USA but probably import duty ?

It is a very snug drop in fit and comes with hex bolts too.

A guy here in England is talking about possibly making an aluminium version.

Like buses - you wait ages for one, then 2 come along :)

After many delays with my supplier all I can say is it is getting close to me receiving a prototype.
I'll update this thread once the prototype for AICS magazines is in my hands.
Standard Steyr magazine/trigger guard is supposed to follow AICS version.

These will fit SSG P1/P2/P4, model "L" varmint & any other version Steyr that uses the same trigger guard.
FYI: I will test the prototype in a P2 (.308) & model "L" varmint (22-250).
Final costs have not been figured out yet but it should be considerably less than a Styria unit.

Still interested in "Standard" Steyr SSG 69 aluminum trigger guard/mag wells. Let's hope for the best.

I ordered and paid for one from Styria Arms in March. Now 2 months later I have not received anything and they will not respond to emails. I didn't want to escalate it to this but I'd hate to see someone else lose $500+ to this guy. Does anyone have any idea of what I can do? I still want the product.