• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any Interest in Steyr SSG 69 Aluminum Trig. Guard

That little fitting you mentioned means gunsmithing or what?

I received my Styria Arms trigger guard today and wow! It's well made, HEAVY duty, and high quality. It will require a little fitting to get it to work in my McMillan stock but once I get it installed I'll post pics of the finished product. I did install it into the original stock and it fits like a glove. Many thanks to Styria Arms.

You mean gunsmithing is required to make it fit a McMillan stock?

You mean gunsmithing is required to make it fit a McMillan stock?

Not really. I had to lightly sand the inside of the mag well on the McMillan stock but I believe this was mostly due to plastic being more forgiving than metal. It was just to smooth out a couple high spots in the stock so the mag conversion would drop in place. Otherwise it fit like a glove.

Indeed, the Styria Arms trigger guard/mag well seems to be well made and rugged - but unfortunately not what I am looking for (aluminum trigger guard/mag well for the original Steyr Mannlicher SSG 69 rotary magazine).

By the way, may I ask you how much your rifle is weighting as it is pictured - with all the hardware but with an empty magazine ?

Nice McMillan stock too. Do you like it ?

I love the McMillan stock, it feels great. I finally got around to weighing this gun and she's a pig, 16 pounds as pictured. It has a McMillan SSG stock in desert camo, 20" barrel, S&B 4-16x50 scope, US Optics scope base, Badger rings, Styria Arms bottom metal, Atlas bipod, and Thunderbeast Arms suppressor.

Well, I finally got my invoice from Austria. Sent the money.....let's see how long it takes to get here! I hope the American company gets their prototype off the ground. I think it's a good idea and it would be easier to deal with someone from the States.

Jeff communicated with me last week that he's in the final stages. It should be soon. He's only been working on this project a few weeks. FWIW, others have taken years and/or have not been able to produce anything thus far. I'm sure it's going to be soon and like all of the other CDI products, well executed and reviewed.

Hi there All, I have been struggling with My steyr 69 for over 10 years when it works its like a magic wand , when it dont you wish you had never seen it. I have put on the macmillan stock and its improved things,but now i take out the mags and trigger guard to clean it and store in the safe which has made things better. but mags still break on very cold weather if you Knock them in any way. I would love an aluminium guard but not with these steyr mags. any chance of not using the styria arms 23 oz setup would be a benefit as the gun seems to be a ton, weight lifter i aint. heers guys 12 bore

Yes, definitely would buy aluminum triggerguard and magwell. My Steyr SSG 69 PIIK was my first real precision rifle and the rifle that started this obsession with me. Although I do not shoot the little Steyr anymore, I would like for it to be operational so I at least have the option to take it shooting. I pulled it from my safe last weekend to mount an optic so I could shoot it this past weekend. When I looked it over I found my triggerguard And magwell busted up yet again (this has happened 4 times).

As it is sentimental to me, I want to keep the little SSG. In addition to being my first precision rifle (my first rifle intended for something other than hunting) I was using this rifle the first time I shot past 1,000 yds.

Ok guys looks like my supplier finally sent me some prototypes for testing. From what I was told I will receive 2 different prototypes, one for AICS magazines & one for Steyr magazines. After I receive & test them I'll post an update. Still waiting on costs from him but he is open to a group buy.

Hi Guys..sorry for the delay in responding, we have been crazy bizzy here. We are getting new machinery in the shop and that's consuming alot of my time. We have the design worked out and will start making test parts shortly. I have a rifle here AND a McMillan stock, so we will make it so it wont take much to fit into your rifle. Stay tuned, were working on it.. thanks for the support

Jeff and Pam

Hi Guys..sorry for the delay in responding, we have been crazy bizzy here. We are getting new machinery in the shop and that's consuming alot of my time. We have the design worked out and will start making test parts shortly. I have a rifle here AND a McMillan stock, so we will make it so it wont take much to fit into your rifle. Stay tuned, were working on it.. thanks for the support

Jeff and Pam

I will be buying one for sure. I look forward to being able to use decent metal mags in my SSG! If it's in line with your other bottom metal pricing they will sell like crazy!

This thread is a god send. I am the lucky owner of a SSG 69 PI with a broken trigger guard. And a search on the interweb brought me here.

I have also been looking at the Styria Arms product, but reading this thread makes me think that they are not interested in selling a lot of those.
So the CDI option look like the way to go. So I will lurk around, and see how things play out.

But i have one aditional question, and i hope that i am not hijacking this thread.

I bought the rifle with a wooden stock, it appears to be a Mchale stock, but i have not been able to find another picture on the internet of a Mchale stock in wood, so i assume that its a stock that has been made to order, but the original Steyr plastic triggerguard fit perfectly in it, and i assume that the CDI product will do aswell.

Take a look at the pictures and let med know if you agree. IMG_20131117_132114.jpgIMG_20131118_220609.jpg

I would like to add a little tip for repairing your original plastic triggerguard.

If you still have the plastic triggerguard, but it is cracked, one way to "fix it" (and this is by no means a permanent fix) is to use acetone to disolve the plastic and the press the crack together.

The way I did it was to open the crack as much as i could without causing the plastic to crack further, and with a cuetip dap a small drop of acetone on to the crack. Cappiliar action then draws the acetone in to the crack, dissolves the plastic, and after about 5 seconds i could press the crack together and the crack would close and a small bead of plastic would flow to the top of the crack.

I used this process on the 2 pieces of plastic around the stock screws, thus enabling me to securely mount the action in the stock. unfortunately i do not have the rest of the triggerguard, but i assume that it can also be used to stop any cracks from spreading in an otherwise sound triggerguard, and that way extending its usefull life.

Last edited:
This thread is a god send. I am the lucky owner of a SSG 69 PI with a broken trigger guard. And a search on the interweb brought me here.

I have also been looking at the Styria Arms product, but reading this thread makes me think that they are not interested in selling a lot of those.
So the CDI option look like the way to go. So I will lurk around, and see how things play out.

But i have one aditional question, and i hope that i am not hijacking this thread.

I bought the rifle with a wooden stock, it appears to be a Mchale stock, but i have not been able to find another picture on the internet of a Mchale stock in wood, so i assume that its a stock that has been made to order, but the original Steyr plastic triggerguard fit perfectly in it, and i assume that the CDI product will do aswell.

Take a look at the pictures and let med know if you agree.View attachment 21567View attachment 21568

I would like to add a little tip for repairing your original plastic triggerguard.

If you still have the plastic triggerguard, but it is cracked, one way to "fix it" (and this is by no means a permanent fix) is to use acetone to disolve the plastic and the press the crack together.

The way I did it was to open the crack as much as i could without causing the plastic to crack further, and with a cuetip dap a small drop of acetone on to the crack. Cappiliar action then draws the acetone in to the crack, dissolves the plastic, and after about 5 seconds i could press the crack together and the crack would close and a small bead of plastic would flow to the top of the crack.

I used this process on the 2 pieces of plastic around the stock screws, thus enabling me to securely mount the action in the stock. unfortunately i do not have the rest of the triggerguard, but i assume that it can also be used to stop any cracks from spreading in an otherwise sound triggerguard, and that way extending its usefull life.

While your stock looks similar to a McMillan mchale, I assure you the wood stock on your rifle is a factory Steyr stock. Ive seen a few Steyr SSG's with wood stocks such as yours. You certainly don't come across them often. Congrats on owning a fairly rare configuration.
Check out the SSG Match rifle listed right now on GunBroker; same stock as yours.

Last edited:
Checked CDI site, nothing about Steyr SSG anything. Would be a buyer if I were able to use my existing 5 & 10rd mags.

Well then, your best bet would be to stay close to awp762 (post #163 above). As far as I know, CDI won't make aluminum Steyr Mannlicher SSG 69 trigger guard/magwells for the original 5 and 10 round magazines. For now, there is no other way to get what you - and I - are looking for.

While your stock looks similar to a McMillan mchale, I assure you the wood stock on your rifle is a factory Steyr stock. Ive seen a few Steyr SSG's with wood stocks such as yours. You certainly don't come across them often. Congrats on owning a fairly rare configuration.
Check out the SSG Match rifle listed right now on GunBroker; same stock as yours.

Thank you Marcoman for clearing this up for me.

In hindsigt i now see that i dont have the 20 rise on the scopemount that others have said was standard on the SSG.
But I still wonder why there are no Steyr logos anywhere on my stock, and the pictures that i am now able to find of the SSG match all seem to have the rail underneath the foreend, but mine lack that rail. So i assume that there are different models of the Match version.

From what i habe been able to gather, the differences in the Match version would be a thicker/stiffer action, different stock and zero MOA scopemount. Am i missing anything else?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I also have a ssg69 p1 with the wooden Mc hale type stock mine has the 20moa dovetail in the action and also iron sights it is a very comfortable stock but l have taken it off and purchased the plastic green one for hunting so the wooden at stock is now in the safe ..

Oh l forgot to say the wooden stocks are original mine has Steyr printed into the butt spacer system same as the plastic stocks ...

Can't wait for the CDl trigger guard ....!!!!!

Got tired of waiting and traded my 69 for another Rem 700. Good luck guys. If it really pans out I'll get another one.

Please tell me these will be available soon. My 5 round plastic piece of crap broke at the range yesterday so it now matches the bottom metal which has a crack the size of the san andreas fault.:mad:

Been following this thread, seems that there will always be that elusive ssg69 metal trigger guard..Steyr should have corrected this problem 40 years ago..

I have been working on this same thing myself for a bit now, I have gotten to printing a 3d model, but of course there are several radii that need to be corrected still. (top of magwell and trigger guard bow).

Not 100% sure if my project will work out either, I was simply planning to make an aluminum guard to take factory mags.... Working on it in my spare time.
I was hoping i could just buy one on here :)

It's a really tricky part to cut....probably will take 3-5 hrs to cut it.

Attachments

• 20131108_140103(1).jpg
    20131108_140103(1).jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 49
For what it's worth Steyr has a barrel of new plastic guards in stock now for around 62 dollars...They're the updated ones with the metal inserts.

You mean Steyr Arms, Inc. in Trussville, Alabama, I suppose ?

Maybe you can buy an aluminum trigger guard/mag well (factory Steyr magazines) for the SSG 69 rifle : look at post #163 above.

Last edited:
They're the people I was referencing. The guards are right on the Steyr Online Store.
I am waiting patiently to see how the guards on this post pan out...Still working on my version in my spare time just in case.

62 usd for an original plastic triggerguard you say.... now i am almost afraid to tell you a quote i got from a dealer in Denmark. What the heck, 406 usd in todays money.

That was a few years ago, and the rifle has been in the safe ever since. But i doubt the prices have changed very much.

But considering the cost of magazines, i would still like to try the solution with the AI magazines.

You really have it good "over there" when it comes to prices :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I wanted to give everyone a heads up on the replacement triggerguards from Steyr with metal inserts/reinforcement. The front screw hole is fixed in a proper manner but the rear still has an issue. There is a gap between the reinforcement ring and the stock which either needs to be shimmed or bedded. I had to make a .145 spacer ring to fit between the bottom plastic and the stock under the screw head. If you don't fill this gap, I can see the rear hole still being prone to failure.

Hope this helps someone.
Merry Christmas
Trilogymac

I wanted to give everyone a heads up on the replacement triggerguards from Steyr with metal inserts/reinforcement. The front screw hole is fixed in a proper manner but the rear still has an issue. There is a gap between the reinforcement ring and the stock which either needs to be shimmed or bedded. I had to make a .145 spacer ring to fit between the bottom plastic and the stock under the screw head. If you don't fill this gap, I can see the rear hole still being prone to failure.

Sorry but I just don't quite get it.

Do you mean that there is a gap between the reinforcement ring and the stock WITH the trigger insert in place ? The way I see it, there is not any gap between the reinforcement ring and the stock WITH the trigger insert (plastic) in place - which height happens to be very close to 0.145". I have one of those Steyr trigger guard/mag wells with the metal inserts/reinforcement and the trigger insert is sandwiched firmly between the top - if I may say so - of the trigger guard/mag well and the bottom of the stock on my rifle when the screws are tight.

Am I missing the point here ?

Carcajou,
Good evening.
Here is a pic showing the side of the spacer installed between the trigger guard and the stock. Its just a .145 thick "washer" sandwiched between the stock and the trigger guard to form sort of a pillar. The rear guard screw goes thru it.
Hope this makes sense.

shim_zpsdc943e6f.jpg

Last edited:
Good evening trilogymac,

Here I am with the bad news : there is a part missing on your rifle - I think.

Take a close look at the last picture of that SSG PI rifle : Steyr SSG-69 PI PII PIV - Sniper Central

The missing part is the direct trigger insert/einlage einzelabzug (No, I don't speak German).

By the way, your SSG has a PII bolt handle and what appears to be a "yellow" stock in the picture. I suspect that it is an olive stock. Am I right ?

Carcajou,
Good evening.
The rifle is a P4. Bolt handle is correct and the stock has been cerakoted tan. When I removed the original trigger guard, I compared the two, and the area under the rear screw of the original was solid all the way to the stock, but was made completely of plastic. The new triggerguard has the metal ring under the screw head but no support between it and the stock, hence the need for a spacer.

EDIT
I dug my old TG out of the trash and there is an insert. I checked the schematic in the users manual and it shows a part number 54 called an "insert for set trigger". The problem is its glued or fused in place. I'm sure that is the part you are talking about.

I just finished carefully breaking the old TG away from the insert and it came out intact. Cleaned it up with emory paper and jewelers files. It was superglued in place to help repair an old crack. Removed my homemade shim, installed the insert and I am in business. I tried to help someone else and you wound up helping me!
Thanks and Merry Christmas.
Trilogymac

Last edited:
trilogymac,

Well, I was not aware that there could have been such a thing as a Steyr/Mannlicher SSG 69 trigger guard/mag well with the area under the rear screw solid all the way to the stock and made of plastic. With those rifles, it looks like that there is always something new to be learned and the number of SSG 69 worshippers is not that great in North America, so we learn as we go along.

I am almost blushing with shame for having described your SSG cerakoted tan stock as a "yellow stock" ! Cerakoted tan, cerakoted tan, cerakoted tan ...

And a Merry Christmas to you too.

Last edited:
Has there been any movement on getting this project brought to market?
Also something that might be of interest to everyone interested in these rifles it is my understanding this will be the last year of production.

Jeff at CDI has had my rifle along with a McMillan stock for his prototyping. He indicates he is very close to completion. His products and his company have one of the best reputations in the industry. No one is more anxious than I am.

The rifle is still more advanced than the vast majority of the rifles out there. I argue it's the finest production tactical/precision platform out there. AI is the only game changer since. Upgrade the stock and bottom/mag and it has no peer other than AI.

Also something that might be of interest to everyone interested in these rifles it is my understanding this will be the last year of production.

Could you explain ? Last year of production ? As far as I am concerned, it would be an event of cataclysmic proportions.

On our side of the border, I read recently on the Internet that Steyr has officially announced that the production of the SSG 69 rifle will be discontinued but I have not been able to get any confirmation from people in the know, especially from Steyr. Mr Oliver Bauer, International Sales - & Export Compliance Manager at Steyr Mannlicher GmbH, is out of the office for the Christmas holidays and he will be back on Monday, January 6th, 2014.

Mr Bauer should know - methinks.

Last edited: