• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

AXMC won't extract

Darkside-Six

Trigger Puller.
Minuteman
  • Oct 8, 2013
    Michigan.
    Having a problem with my AXMC. Rifle has shot fine up until this last weekend. I shot a match where it rained very hard through part of the day and the terrain we were on was very sandy. About 1/2 to 3/4 of the way through the match i had a couple live rounds that would not extract unless fired. After the match a gave the rifle a thorough cleaning because of the rain and sand but when running a function check i discovered that it will not extract anything. I haven't tried firing it for saftey reasons but it will not extract any shells, loaded or unloaded. i didn't notice any pressure signs on my brass, dope was dead on as suppose to be. spent brass looks like it always does.

I've attached 2 pic's of my bolt, not use to this type of extractor as i'm more familiar with Remington 700 bolts but i'm not sure what's wrong and appreciate any help or suggestions.

Thanks.

Attachments

• bolt1.jpg
      bolt1.jpg
      277.7 KB · Views: 273
    • bolt2.jpg
      bolt2.jpg
      289 KB · Views: 270
    Are the ejector and extractor freely moving? You should be able to use a case as leverage to make them wiggle

It looks like it’s in the right place.

To remove it, the extractor (where it grabs the case Trim) needs to be pushed radially outward to clear a little nipple that’s out of view, then it pulls straight out of its track. I use a small flat blade screwdriver for this. Really easy. May be something underneath it that’s holding it up some. Possible a piece broke off of it, and it’s skipping over the rim. To reassemble, push it straight back in its track.

Don’t know this guys but he removes the extractor in this vid.

Last edited:
    The ejector and extractor are both freely moving but after messing with it just now it seems the extractor is sliding back and fourth a little bit so not sure if something cam loose underneath. i will attempt to take it apart and look like the video here.

The ejector and extractor are both freely moving but after messing with it just now it seems the extractor is sliding back and fourth a little bit so not sure if something cam loose underneath. i will attempt to take it apart and look like the video here.

There’s nothing underneath it. It will shimmy back and forth a bit also, which isn’t a problem. Change lots of brass recently, or perhaps a new sizing die, or a change to the setting on the existing die?

There’s nothing underneath it. It will shimmy back and forth a bit also, which isn’t a problem. Change lots of brass recently, or perhaps a new sizing die, or a change to the setting on the existing die?

i'm not sure what's going on. i didn't realize the extractor could come out that easy so i just took it out. here are some pics. it's not catching on the rim of the brass anymore. nothing in my loading process has changed and it was working for the first half of the match,

Attachments

• extracor2.jpg
      extracor2.jpg
      227.5 KB · Views: 186
    • extractor1.jpg
      extractor1.jpg
      251.5 KB · Views: 204
    • extractor3.jpg
      extractor3.jpg
      276.6 KB · Views: 214
    how old is your rifle? Have you tried extracting unfired rounds before this? looks like the win mag bolt face?

I had this issue with my 308 bolt and it turned out that the extractor groove was out of spec and I had to send it in to get a new bolt. Does it look like the back of the brass you can't extract is being machined some by the extractor? Mine was doing this and the problem was that the extractor would be pushed back by the case unless you were manipulating it very fast. Once you fired the round it would cause the extractor to "hop" over the case and properly extract.

Could be 2 things. Extractor could be too short on the overall length or the groove it sits in could be machined too long allowing too much back and forth movement. There should be some movement from the way it goes together though.

how old is your rifle? Have you tried extracting unfired rounds before this? looks like the win mag bolt face?

I had this issue with my 308 bolt and it turned out that the extractor groove was out of spec and I had to send it in to get a new bolt. Does it look like the back of the brass you can't extract is being machined some by the extractor? Mine was doing this and the problem was that the extractor would be pushed back by the case unless you were manipulating it very fast. Once you fired the round it would cause the extractor to "hop" over the case and properly extract.

Could be 2 things. Extractor could be too short on the overall length or the groove it sits in could be machined too long allowing too much back and forth movement. There should be some movement from the way it goes together though.
    Rifle was bought new from EuroOptic back in march (2018) Rifle worked flawlessly up until this last match. It seems that the extractor is moving enough to where it will not catch on the brass. not sure if the extractor is now slightly bent, maybe from pressure? i never noticed it moving before but now that i've been checking it, it seems to slide back and forth quite a bit. i've tried closing the bolt hard and fast and still nothing. during the match, when the round was fired it would then extract.

I filled out a contact form with AI USA and waiting for a response. will call Mile High tomorrow and see what they say.

Funny you post this. Last week at the range I was shooting next to 4 guys from the local PD sniper team with their fairly new AT's. 2 of the 4 rifles would not extract unfired rounds unless they worked the bolt handles up and down several times to "wiggle" the extractor over the case rim. They swapped bolts around, and the extraction problems followed the bolts. AI shipped them 2 new complete bolt assemblies which they were testing the day I was there. The info I was given is that AI told them the extractor retaining cuts in the problem bolts were incorrect and that the extractors were being held too far rearwards leaving the groove too close to the bolt face to reliably snap over the rim of an unfired case.

If the headspace is good and the cases aren't ridiculously oversized allowing them to sit too deep in the chamber, most likely causes would be a bad extractor or a bad extractor retaining cut in the bolt. AI should take care of you.

Last edited:
    Rifle was bought new from EuroOptic back in march (2018) Rifle worked flawlessly up until this last match. It seems that the extractor is moving enough to where it will not catch on the brass. not sure if the extractor is now slightly bent, maybe from pressure? i never noticed it moving before but now that i've been checking it, it seems to slide back and forth quite a bit. i've tried closing the bolt hard and fast and still nothing. during the match, when the round was fired it would then extract.

I filled out a contact form with AI USA and waiting for a response. will call Mile High tomorrow and see what they say.

Hmmm. I guess a heat treat issue as mentioned in the other thread could be it too. I could see the tip of the extractor that would be closest to the shooter experiencing some wear from running the bolt and it getting a little shorter causing it to have a hard time getting over the lip of the case.

Mile high was helpful when I was having issues but I had to send the rifle to AINA because it was a warranty issue. I would think you would be in the same boat but at least you could talk it over with the mile high guys. Hopefully it goes smoothly for you and you get back in the action soon. let us know how it goes

yes, that sounds exactly like what mine is doing. is it possible to just get a replacement extractor?

Yes, you can get another extractor. Mile high will take care of it, whatever it is.

In the meantime, what’s this?

Attachments

• 044F668C-44BE-48BA-933D-731A6AE00064.jpeg
      044F668C-44BE-48BA-933D-731A6AE00064.jpeg
      157.8 KB · Views: 225
    Yes, you can get another extractor. Mile high will take care of it, whatever it is.

In the meantime, what’s this?
    Not sure. Must have been dirt or oil. I wiped it down and then went back after you commented and there is nothing there so....

I ended up speaking with Adam at Mile High today and he explained that there have been some issues like this with the extractor. He put me in touch with AI and they’re supposed to be reaching out to me on Monday to send it in.

Pls keep us updated on the issue. Bought my 1st and only AIAX (SA) just last year, and i'm lovin' it.

I though Mile High was the service center for AINA. I had s similar issue with my 2015 AX308 and a new extractor fixed it.

Gotcha, at any rate, I'm sure they will take care of it. Mine has been flawless after Mile High replaced the extractor

Similar thing happened to my AI AT from day one. Wouldnt extract 308 and 6.5x47 unfired rounds and wouldnt eject 6.5x47 and sometimes virgin 308 brass either. Just to be sure i had two other people shoot the rifle to make sure it wasnt me that was doing something wrong. Spoke to MH about it and as previously mentioned in the thread warranty work has to directly go to AI so i sent it to AI.

AI kept it for a month, didn't find anything wrong with the rifle, bolt, or barrels (OEM308 and Gradeous 6.5x47) etc.. and were not able to replicate the issue with bunch of different types of ammo which included live firing as well.

Got the rifle back and i haven't been able to replicate the issues either and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they wont come back. Send it to AI and let them go over it.

Well AINA contacted me and asked to send the complete rifle in for them to inspect. I was kind of hoping i could just send the bolt back but it is what it is. Hopefully they wont have it too long.

Sounds like I might be in a similar boat. Had a match yesterday and twice it wouldn’t extract live rounds. Tested today and 3/10 wouldn’t extract.

Well I have t heard anything from AI but got the shipping notice that is was shipped back out to me today so whatever it was, it was probably minor. Bad extractor is what I’m guessing but will know more Monday when it gets here.

Reactions: Niles Coyote
    Well... add my new AXMC to the list of extraction issues. Rifle works flawlessly with the .300 and .338 bolts and barrels. As soon as I switch to the .308 bolt and barrel it won’t extract. Switched also to my 6.5 and .243 barrels same deal.

Will not extract any unfired rounds at all and will extract maybe 5-6 out of 10 for fired rounds. The other two bolts work flawlessly.

My buddy also has an AXMC and happened to be at the range Saturday with me. He loaned me his .308 bolt and it worked perfectly. Apparently this conversion bolt i was sold is junk.

I’m contacting Mile High in the morning. They can replace the defective upgrade part they sold me and deal with AINA themselves.

I have a similar problem with my used AXMC. Won’t extract a live round. A fired round extracts fine. I don’t remember if I tried to extract any unfired 6.5CM rounds when I had that barrel but this 260 barrel does it. Will test more before I send the gun in.

Went over to my buddy’s house this evening and he wanted to try my .308 bolt in his rifle. We only tried his in mine Saturday... As expected with my bolt his will not extract either so that pretty much 100% confirms the .308 bolt I have is defective.

Hopefully Mile High can just swap it since they sold it and I’m within their 30 day policy.

It’s ridiculous AI couldnt have caught something like this... especially since it’s not a single isolated case. Failure to extract a live round - at least to me - is a MAJOR safety issue.

In looking at the bolt out of the rifle the extractor hook is almost down to the boltface. It doesn’t look like there’s even enough room to capture the round. My other two bolts do not look like this.

Went over to my buddy’s house this evening and he wanted to try my .308 bolt in his rifle. We only tried his in mine Saturday... As expected with my bolt his will not extract either so that pretty much 100% confirms the .308 bolt I have is defective.

Hopefully Mile High can just swap it since they sold it and I’m within their 30 day policy.

It’s ridiculous AI couldnt have caught something like this... especially since it’s not a single isolated case. Failure to extract a live round - at least to me - is a MAJOR safety issue.

In looking at the bolt out of the rifle the extractor hook is almost down to the boltface. It doesn’t look like there’s even enough room to capture the round. My other two bolts do not look like this.
    I believe there was a problem with the groove the extractor fits in being out of spec on some bolts. It appears that may have been what was wrong with mine.

Are the extractors the same on large fp and small fp bolts?

I spoke with Mile High today and they are awesome.... they’re having me overnight them the defective bolt. Adam is testing a new bolt in two of their AXMCs there on the range and is cross shipping me it as a replacement which I should have sometime tomorrow.

According to what he was able to tell me, this issue isn’t a common one but they have seen the wrong extractor installed in the replacement bolts lately. Apparently the SA and LA use the same head, but different bodies and slightly different extractors.

The wrong versions will fit, they just won’t work. He thinks thats what’s wrong with mine.

Are these issues with the MC only? the long action?

So I finally heard back from AINA today. As I suspected, the extractor grove in the bolt was out of spec so they replaced the bolt and extractor.

Reactions: Niles Coyote
    Thanks Darkside-Six. I wonder if the issue is related to last years batch of AX? I don't know how AI does there serial numbers. Mine starts with 16*****, originally i thought i had purchased a 2016 model. I did purchase mine last year in 2017. So far so good.

Today I received the replacement AXMC .308 bolt from Adam at Mile High as promised. The new one functions perfectly in my rifle. It also seems to function much smoother than the bad one I returned.

When the bolt is about 95% latched you can actually hear the extractor snap over the case edge.

Tag for future use when an AI shooter is bragging how infallible AI's are why they're worth $8K

It’s a manufacturing process. Occasionally a bad batch of parts can make an appearance, or a lemon slips through the cracks.
    AI’s are still bomb proof.

Reactions: PBWalsh and Dooby
    Glad i found this thread. My brand new AX308 is having the same problem. Spoke to my local distributor here in Australia and they actually have a whole bunch of extractors in the way. Surely AI test function their rifles before they leave the factory? It appears they don't though. Video for reference

Reactions: Darkside-Six
    Glad i found this thread. My brand new AX308 is having the same problem. Spoke to my local distributor here in Australia and they actually have a whole bunch of extractors in the way. Surely AI test function their rifles before they leave the factory? It appears they don't though. Video for reference

Yup. Exactly what mine was doing. Hopefully the extractor fixes it as the problem with mine and many others was the actual extractor groove was out of spec.

Reactions: PrecisionRifleGuy
    Yup. Exactly what mine was doing. Hopefully the extractor fixes it as the problem with mine and many others was the actual extractor groove was out of spec.

Ditto.... Same here.

Purchased a conversion kit from Mile High and had to have the bolt swapped. Purchased another 'spare' bolt that had the same issue I just corrected and had to have AI swap that one.

Apparently there are a ton of those 'in the wild' for some reason. Other bolts were perfect, but the .308 ones appear to be very hit-or-miss.

Switching the extractors themselves made zero difference. It was the bolt that was wonky.