• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BAT Tactical

I'm just kidding, but If I build a high end build I'd prob use a defiance, but right now I got a rem 700 in 260 with hs stock, ptg bottom metal 28in bbl 1:8 twist. It works great for me. I also just found 3 bags of 50 rem brass (260)and bought it in an instant since I was just about to order some. Oh and thats just my long range rig I got lots of hunting rifles but nothing custom.

Why so you can say you have one? You can produce a whole lot of ammo and still have a rifle that shoots just as good for that kind of money...

Hmmm...and here I thought a mans $1400 was his to do what he wanted with it.

Maybe he will PM you on future purchases in order to get your approval.

I added a PTG One Piece Spiral Fluted bolt with M-16 style extractor to my rifle. Total cost with Badger Ord knob was just over $300. No need to spend the other $1100 :)

Have there been problems with the ejection on some of the BAT Tacticals that inspired this thread?

That's a good question. Not to my knowledge. I for one, like those that inquired about it, had never heard of a T-Slot extractor. People were curious about how it ejected brass. I figured I'd post it on here. I apologize for my limited knowledge of actions, etc. I should start paying attention to the details of the actions that I use. :eek:

Last edited:
wouldnt eject loaded rounds, had to 'modify' the action with a dremel
there's a relief cut in the rear of a stock 700 action right behind the ejection port.
this allows the a loaded round (loaded long, 2.930) to kick out at the end of the ejection phase.
Defiance does not relieve this area, they advised me on the mod,,,this only applys to a standard length port.
not the 'Defiance" length port

Last edited:
I have a lot of experience with the BAT VRPIC actions and the HRPIC actions. Both have intergal lug and rail. Very similar to the tactical action.

First off with today's modern machinery and a lot of smart people in the gun world there are a lot of great actions available.
To me some are better than others and all have there pros and cons.

One fact about a Nitrided BAT action. You will never feel a smoother action! Nothing compares or comes close.

They do have ejection issues for tactical shooters. We'll the ones in the past do anyway. From what Bruce Thom told me a couple monthes ago all that has been fixed from then forward.

The problem was that the ejector hole was not drilled very deep and it only allowed a "weak" spring to kick out the brass. Your brass would kick out about 6 inches from the rifle in a nice little pile.
The ejection worked perfect. But it was not strong enough for what we do. If your rifle was canted while ejecting you had a good chance that the brass would fall back into the port.

As I stated this has been fixed from what I am told. I will say the extractor is a odd design but extremely strong. I have not seen one brake yet.

The only other thing I would change on a BAT is the coned shape bolt head. While running DBM on the action, you could run into issues if you put the magazine in bind while cycling the bolt. ( such as ramming the mag forward on a rooftop for a solid position and cycling the bolt.

I agree there are a lot of great action makers out there. I am confused as to why none of them, aside from the direct Winchester copies, don't use an ejector system like the model 70 Winchesters. I have seen 70s or FN SPRs come through the shop that I can cycle rounds lightly and it makes a nice pile on the bench or run the bolt with authority and it sends rounds bouncing off the wall on the other side of a 20ft room. Seems like this wound be a great asset when retaining brass at the range (easy cycling) while still getting 100% positive ejection at matches/hunting situations that are time sensitive.

No doubt this would take some redesign and increase cost but seems to me that the price of customs actions are on the rise anyway (both manufacturing and customer acceptance).

Seems to me a round action with Remington screw spacing and Remington trigger options that has the ability to feed AICS or AW mags coupled with maybe an integral lug and base with the aforementioned Winchester style ejection system would be about as good as it can get without getting into the three lug option and titanium or sleeved aluminum options to save weight.

Just food for thought.

Ern

Last edited:
wouldnt eject loaded rounds, had to 'modify' the action with a dremel
there's a relief cut in the rear of a stock 700 action right behind the ejection port.
this allows the a loaded round (loaded long, 2.930) to kick out at the end of the ejection phase.
Defiance does not relieve this area, they advised me on the mod,,,this only applys to a standard length port.
not the 'Defiance" length port

Is the Defiance length port the same thing as their "medium" action?

I agree there are a lot of great action makers out there. I am confused as to why none of them, aside from the direct Winchester copies, don't use an ejector system like the model 70 Winchesters. I have seen 70s or FN SPRs come through the shop that I can cycle rounds lightly and it makes a nice pile on the bench or run the bolt with authority and it sends rounds bouncing off the wall on the other side of a 20ft room. Seems like this wound be a great asset when retaining brass at the range (easy cycling) while still getting 100% positive ejection at matches/hunting situations that are time sensitive.

No doubt this would take some redesign and increase cost but seems to me that the price of customs actions are on the rise anyway (both manufacturing and customer acceptance).

Seems to me a round action with Remington screw spacing and Remington trigger options that has the ability to feed AICS or AW mags coupled with maybe an integral lug and base with the aforementioned Winchester style ejection system would be about as good as it can get without getting into the three lug option and titanium or sleeved aluminum options to save weight.

Just food for thought.

Ern

Basically you're asking for a Round Bottom M70/FN-SPR action, that would be compatible with the crapload of M700 clone aftermarket. The M70/FN-SPR is my favorite action; while there is sufficient aftermarket support for it, having one compatible with the M700 footprint would make things simpler.

Basically you're asking for a Round Bottom M70/FN-SPR action, that would be compatible with the crapload of M700 clone aftermarket. The M70/FN-SPR is my favorite action; while there is sufficient aftermarket support for it, having one compatible with the M700 footprint would make things simpler.

Pretty much. Although the 700 clone theme is about as exciting as watching paint dry, you can not ignore the pure quantity and quality of M700 aftermarket parts.

I personally feel the FN SPR trigger is perfect for this type of shooting, easy adjustment and retard simple cleaning. I do like to take the engagement down a little to minimize take up but that is with any factory trigger.

For conformity's sake though I would recommend a 700 style trigger with incorporated safety and 700 style firing pin assembly.

Papa or JR WALLSIII, I know y'all have used alot of different actions so I'm curious to know, is there a geometry difference to the BAT or anything they do different to make their actions smoother then others or do you think thats mainly do to the Melonite?

Papa or JR WALLSIII, I know y'all have used alot of different actions so I'm curious to know, is there a geometry difference to the BAT or anything they do different to make their actions smoother then others or do you think thats mainly do to the Melonite?

I have a BAT Tactical and a Surgeon 591R, I'll take some measurements tomorrow on those two for you. Maybe someone with a Deviant can compare as well.

I have a BAT Tactical and a Surgeon 591R, I'll take some measurements tomorrow on those two for you. Maybe someone with a Deviant can compare as well.

I've never owned a Defiance but hear from numerous people they feel tighter and lock up better then the 591's. I use to have a 591. The bolt in it was a little losser then I would like. My Alpha 11/Deviant is being melonited this week so maybe I can give some input in the next couple of weeks but I really hope the Melonited Deviant will be super slick. I was curious if the BAT was smoother then most actions due mainly in part to the Melonite or if they really just know how to machine that much better then alot fo the other companies.

BTW I love the new SAC Sentinel, almost as much as your BAT. Did you ever sell that Multicam 300WM?

I have a BAT SV on my 20Vartarg. Its a single shot but damn is it smooth. I have two Nesika's and its much smoother. My next build will be with a BAT. Are they still quick with their turn around time?
Nice rig.

I've never owned a Defiance but hear from numerous people they feel tighter and lock up better then the 591's. I use to have a 591. The bolt in it was a little losser then I would like. My Alpha 11/Deviant is being melonited this week so maybe I can give some input in the next couple of weeks but I really hope the Melonited Deviant will be super slick. I was curious if the BAT was smoother then most actions due mainly in part to the Melonite or if they really just know how to machine that much better then alot fo the other companies.

BTW I love the new SAC Sentinel, almost as much as your BAT. Did you ever sell that Multicam 300WM?

It really has to do a lot with how it is machined. The Melonite helps, as well as makes the bolt/action raceways harder which will help with wear. I have played with a deviant and if your having yours melonited, you will be very happy. I've actually got a guy coming to look at the 300 wm this week, says he wants the full package. We will see...

The BATs are smoother in my opinion because they are made a little tighter and the bolts are hand fitted to each action. I feel the hand fitting is probably the biggest plus.

My surgeon are both pretty smooth once the ceracote started to wear of the bolt.

I picked up a Deviant Templar action built rifle last month. It really surprised me how smooth it was brand new.

I use a Surgeon on my match rifle. It is very reliable and it runs good.

I will say just from shear looks and feel alone, take a brand new BAT, Surgeon, Defiance, Badger, or any other custom action......All uncoated.
Though they all work and function great and get the job done, The BAT is a work of art straight out the box. In that regard no matter how insignificant the BAT hands down is the winner

I have used several actions over the past years and the best way that I can describe or compare actions is by what I feel is best for my needs. And what I mean by this is that I am not one that dives into the details of how an action was made, what length its tenon is, the spacing between this and that, and so forth. If you ask me about those details I wouldn't be able to provide you with an answer. Think of it this way, and it may be stupid but humor me for a bit. As a hobby woodworker, when I use the table saw or router, I know exactly that everything is working perfectly based on the sound and feel of my tools. For me it's the same for an action. If the action sounds and feels great as I chamber and extract a round, and it meets my needs whether it be shooting at steel or paper targets or hunting, then that action is the best action for my needs. I truly believe that the machining process, which I have not clue what it is, of a BAT action has an effect on its wicked function. The Melonite is an added bonus. Any action should be more smooth and "durable" if it undergoes Melonite treatment. I don't see why an action would not benefit from it. Based on this, and as I stated that for my needs, the BAT is the best action that I have owned and used. Hands down the BAT is phenomenal.

I hope this helps.

Why doesn't more people have their actions NP3 plated? It is supposed to make them slicker and more corrosion resistant than a salt bath.

Just food for thought.

Ern

What you describe about ejectors is exactly what I like about my old 1903 Springfield. Also like the flat bottom, integral bottom metal/lug. Just need to add a DBM to it.

I also like the mag feed "switch" On to feed from internal mag, off to single load. A lot to like about that old rifle, now if only I could find someone to make a new bolt and barrel for it.

I'm just kidding, but If I build a high end build I'd prob use a defiance, but right now I got a rem 700 in 260 with hs stock, ptg bottom metal 28in bbl 1:8 twist. It works great for me. I also just found 3 bags of 50 rem brass (260)and bought it in an instant since I was just about to order some. Oh and thats just my long range rig I got lots of hunting rifles but nothing custom.

Thought you were buying an AI?

Papa - a friend I shoot with had his rifle built on that same action, the BAT Tactical. Holy hell, was I shocked at smooth that manipulation was! To be honest, it made my 591 feel like a Savage (sorry Savage guys, not bagging too bad, I love them too). I think the best description was something along the lines of, "the bolt rides like it's on ball bearings, lubed with baby snot." I didn't realize it dropped your brass right next to you. That is sick.

Papa - a friend I shoot with had his rifle built on that same action, the BAT Tactical. Holy hell, was I shocked at smooth that manipulation was! To be honest, it made my 591 feel like a Savage (sorry Savage guys, not bagging too bad, I love them too). I think the best description was something along the lines of, "the bolt rides like it's on ball bearings, lubed with baby snot." I didn't realize it dropped your brass right next to you. That is sick.

Yep. At the going rate of Surgeon actions, I may sell my used one to fund another BAT build. That's how much BAT actions rock. :D