• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Best shooting mat??

shooter3225

Private
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2011
I am looking to get a shooting mat soon because Im sick of laying in the desert. I searched but only found threads from years ago so am curious to see what you guys recommend. The TAB mat has seemed to be a popular choice and it seems to be compact and put together well from what I've seen. Ive seen the mats that actually hold your rifle too, and then fold out into a normal mat also. These look pretty nice too, I just wanted to see what you guys think...Thanks

Re: Best shooting mat??

Not the best, Im sure, but I have been using midways mat for the last year and it is holding up great and does everything I need it too. On sale I think it cost me 24 bucks. They have a newer one out now and I think it adds a few more features for a little more green of course.

+1 for Midway's mat. Just cought one the other day for $24.99 I think. They may not be TAB quality but an affordable piece of kit that's well made and serves the purpose.

midway has them on sale right now foe 65ish reg 99ish, get one and be happy.

Here's another thumbs-up for the Midway mat. I've been using one for f-class shooting and it works just fine.

+1 on the Midway pro series mat. It has good padding for lying on concrete as well as lying on rough ground. It isnt light or compact as the Tab mat is but if your just driving up to your local range or shooting spot its a great mat.

Mac

I have the NCStar dragbag shooting mat and have no complaints. Really conveinant to have your bag fold out. its got tons of MOLLE loops on it to add accessory bags or tie things too. roughly $85 on amazon and ebay but definately worth the cash.

that's a good deal on the midway mat, i'll have to get one.

the only drawback i've found with a case / mat combo is that if you have excessive gear in the outer pockets and you lay out the mat, you end up with a lumpy "stuff jamming you in the ribs anyway" shooting station. basically whatever you have in those pockets, you end up having to dump it anyhow for any real comfort, so i end up taking an additional range bag anyway. that and whatever you do decide to leave in those external pockets - when you want to access it, you have difficulty in doing so as your laying on it and have to upset your setup to get to it. if you just put in the pockets what you absolutely will be using at your shooting station, they are not that bad though.

on the lower priced mats, i've had good experience with this:
http://www.combatsportsupply.com/voodootacticalsnipershootersmat.aspx cheaper than dirt and other places has them for 50.00 or less. rolls up, attaches to a back pack for hunting / shooting quite well and deploys easily, enough padding for comfort and wears decently for the price.

would like to try this:
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MOLLE178-1.html but apprehensive as i've been through the mat / case combo before as described on top.

i bought the crosstac. its expensive but it works well on cement and sharp and rocky, surfaces.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just bought this one from Midway. On sale, reduced from $99.99 to $49.99.
Midway Pro Series Competition Shooting Mat </div></div>

This is the one that I would recommend. I have been using this one for a couple of months now and I am very happy with it. A couple of guys and matches and at the range have commented on the nice width of it while using it. The straps sewn in are a nice asset also. They make loading the bipod a piece of cake.

I also have have the Eagle drag bag / mat combination, and I pretty much only use it for a drag bag now. I have a problem with the buckle in the bag sticking into my gut when I use it. Overall it is a nice product, but for the cost, features and usability, go with the Midway mat. They are on sale all the time it seems like, so just wait until you can get it for $50.

cool..Thanks for all the input guys. Has anyone had experience with both the midway mats and the TAB one?? jus curious on how those would compare..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pwerstroke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Midway looks really nice. What country is it made in? </div></div>

Most of their signature sewn products are made outside of the US.

Another plus on the Midway mat. I have used mine for three years w/o issue. It usually gets used twice a month, one day on concrete and another on dirt.

So the midway for sure over the TAB?? I want to put in an order today for one the midway looks pretty nice

I have a TAB mat and the Midway one. The Midway mat is heavier and more bulky, but it has better padding. I pack the TAB mat for hunting trips and use the Midway mat at the range.

CWJ

You may wan to get a "puss pad" foam sleeping pad from a military surplus store. You can find them in 36" widths. They cost less than $20 are water proof, insulate you from the cold/hot and are very comfy. I highly recomend them!

go with the TAB mat not only is it of higher quality but you will be supporting a company that contributes to our sport.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ckirkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">go with the TAB mat not only is it of higher quality but you will be supporting a company that contributes to our sport. </div></div>

Yea I know that is a big reason as well of the great things I've heard about the mat. I just dont know anyone who has used the midway personally thats why I wanted to compare them. Seems like I cant go wrong either way

i got a shooters ridge for 20 bucks, got it at cost from scheels. it has padding in knee and elbow areas as well as stakes. my only suggestion no matter what the brand is stay away from any black on the mat. i live in nevada and when its 90 plus out the black is unbearable!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that's a good deal on the midway mat, i'll have to get one.

the only drawback i've found with a case / mat combo is that if you have excessive gear in the outer pockets and you lay out the mat, you end up with a lumpy "stuff jamming you in the ribs anyway" shooting station. basically whatever you have in those pockets, you end up having to dump it anyhow for any real comfort, so i end up taking an additional range bag anyway. that and whatever you do decide to leave in those external pockets - when you want to access it, you have difficulty in doing so as your laying on it and have to upset your setup to get to it. if you just put in the pockets what you absolutely will be using at your shooting station, they are not that bad though.

on the lower priced mats, i've had good experience with this:
http://www.combatsportsupply.com/voodootacticalsnipershootersmat.aspx cheaper than dirt and other places has them for 50.00 or less. rolls up, attaches to a back pack for hunting / shooting quite well and deploys easily, enough padding for comfort and wears decently for the price.

would like to try this:
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MOLLE178-1.html but apprehensive as i've been through the mat / case combo before as described on top. </div></div>

I see what your saying about a bunch of crap to lay on but it comes down to what your doing. For me all you need is ur rifle, stalk pack with ammo outside, 10rnds and a cable cleaner/boresnake in it, and ur notebook in the bag. So on a call out all you need to do is grab ur drag bag and ur set. You don't have to strap on a bunch of junk because all the rest is a luxury to have. Get a good ruck to throw that stuff in then ur all set. Plus the ruck can double as a good rest.

+1 for the NCstar drag bag- I just bought this from Amazon for $65 with free shipping and I couldn't be more impressed with the money spent.

All I wanted was a shooting mat for the range as I would prefer to shoot the rifle in a position something other than the "modified sitting" bench position.

This bag has multiple uses and capabilities. Nuff said.

Go with the TAB mat,you can also call tony at TAB and he can custom build you a mat to meet your needs and he stands behind his workmanship.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ckirkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">go with the TAB mat not only is it of higher quality but you will be supporting a company that contributes to our sport. </div></div>

+1
And it is USA sewn by quality people!

If you never go into the woods to shoot and it's at a range you may as well be comfy - get the Creedmoor.

I have one of these and it's all I use, it's not "Tacticool" but I don't need a matt when I'm in the dirt, just on the cement.

http://www.creedmoorsports.com/store/product.php?productid=16147&cat=576&page=1

225B040WHITE.jpg

I carry the TAB mat in my pack but use a Blackhawk mat for range work. The Blackhawk was spendy but worth it comfort wise.

If you are going to be shooting in the open desert without a covered position, make sure that whatever mat you get is in a light color (tan, khaki, etc.). A dark colored mat will act like a heat magnet and you will roast.

I just use my double rifle bag and open it up. I never stuff anything inside of there so I dont' have anything jabbing me in the rib. Plus, it's nice and padded, making it super comfortable.

1+

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Eagle HSRC </div></div>

Wallmart. Don't laugh. $19 and it's pretty nice. I did krylon-camo it though so it would be cooler. Cooler temp not cooler
cool.gif

I used the Midway mat for several years. It's OK. However if you put it on wet ground or snow it will soak through the stitched spots and soak you. I got an Eberlestock mat from Cylonic (sp). Much better mat! It rolls up to about 1/3 the size of the Midway mat. I just finished a precision rifle class and used it. No burnt skin from the Eberlestock mat.

Bob

yea now I dont know what Im gonna go with lol..I'm in so cal and I do shoot in the desert so a tan or khaki is for sure. so many good choices. I like the fact that the TAB rolls up so compact, but more padding and better weather protection is appealing.

This might not be the best, but I went to marshall's and got a 10 dollar yoga mat. You might laugh, but works great for me, and is super comfy
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wallmart. Don't laugh. $19 and it's pretty nice. I did krylon-camo it though so it would be cooler. Cooler temp not cooler
cool.gif
</div></div>

Which mat?

UPS dropped off a Midway Pro a few minutes ago. Looks like it'll work just fine.
The only reason I got it instead of the Tab is the larger size.

I plan on getting the Tab later for strapping to a hunting pack.

5 dollars at a surplus store will get ya the old foam green GI "puss Pad", thats what i use, not hoidy toity but works great

I shoot F-T/R matches. Have the smaller mat from Midway, it stays rolled up in the garage. Currently use a 60" x 84" cheapo rug from The Home Depot/Walmart. On concrete, like to have the bipod feet on the rug, so the extra length of the rug is nice. Also the width is good to keep all the stuff on the rug.