• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Big Company, or Small Company, for Mk12 Upper?

Birddog1911

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2009
Peyton, Colorado, USA
Okay, my Mk12 build begins in January, and I'm torn on choosing my upper. I couldn't be happier with my BCM carbine, and am leaning towards them for the upper.

However, there are a few small time shops with great reputations that re-create the Mk 12 as well. Hell, some of you might be able to recommend someone I haven't looked at.

So the question is, is there any solid reason to go with someone other than Bravo Company? Here are a few that I've looked at:

BCM
Adco
High Caliber Sales
MSTN

Re: Big Company, or Small Company, for Mk12 Upper?

anything Wes at MSTN builds ROCKS!!! You will not be sorry using him!

If you want it done right, get with Kevin at High Caliber Sales and don't look back. With HCS, you will get a Mk12...not something else calling itself or passing itself off as a Mk12 but not being anywhere close to the correct specs or parts. No offense or anything intended toward the other mfgs.

Again, it all depends on your budget and how "accurate" a clone you want/need, but I'd opt for HCS and be done.

Reactions: jcsparky

I do not have a MK12 from any of the above.

That said I have done business with all of the except HSC. Nothing bad to say about any of them.

Also, I am probably going to follow your next year MK 12 thoughts so please keep us posted.

I just got my Mk12 mod 1 upper from Centurion Arms. Monty did an awesome job. Highly recommend them to anyone looking for a spec Mk12 upper.

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Birddog we'd be pleased to discuss the MK12 build with you -- consider sending a PM or email to me. As Lowlight mentioned, Alan was involved in their development and builds while in small arms at Crane. We would do you right!

That being said, all of the companies you mention are quality operations.

Kevin
[email protected]

BCM and DPMS both have a mk12 "flavored" setup now, but you need to realize that they are NOT spec, they don't even look right if you look closely. I'm sure they are great shooters, but if you want an actual mk12 they won't pass muster.

HCS has turned out quite a few for board members here, if you search around in the gas gun and the photography boards you will see stories and pics of some of them. They are a work of art, and a forum sponsoring vendor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcw1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BCM and DPMS both have a mk12 "flavored" setup now, but you need to realize that they are NOT spec, they don't even look right if you look closely. I'm sure they are great shooters, but if you want an actual mk12 they won't pass muster.

</div></div>
Why would the DPMS not pass muster? Do you mean in terms of being actual Mod 1 copies, or do you mean in terms of accuracy and performance?
I ask, because the DPMS Mk12 was designed under the guidance of Bill Graves from GPS Defense, and is a 0.5 MOA rifle. I have a DPMS Mk12 barrel and it's fantastic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USACS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcw1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BCM and DPMS both have a mk12 "flavored" setup now, but you need to realize that they are NOT spec, they don't even look right if you look closely. I'm sure they are great shooters, but if you want an actual mk12 they won't pass muster.

</div></div>
Why would the DPMS not pass muster? Do you mean in terms of being actual Mod 1 copies, or do you mean in terms of accuracy and performance?
I ask, because the DPMS Mk12 was designed under the guidance of Bill Graves from GPS Defense, and is a 0.5 MOA rifle. I have a DPMS Mk12 barrel and it's fantastic. </div></div>

read what he typed. He said he's sure they are great shooters. But obviously anything other than a mk12 that is to spec isnt actually a mk12

mine is from monty at centurion arms

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: g3ninfinite</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USACS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcw1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BCM and DPMS both have a mk12 "flavored" setup now, but you need to realize that they are NOT spec, they don't even look right if you look closely. I'm sure they are great shooters, but if you want an actual mk12 they won't pass muster.

</div></div>
I ask, because the DPMS Mk12 was designed under the guidance of Bill Graves from GPS Defense, and is a 0.5 MOA rifle. I have a DPMS Mk12 barrel and it's fantastic. </div></div>

read what he typed. He said he's sure they are great shooters. But obviously anything other than a mk12 that is to spec isnt actually a mk12</div></div>
I read what he typed. It was rather vague what he was alluding to. I don't go and assume things if there's room for interpretation. I ask for clarification. Is there something wrong with that?

I just purchased a DPMS MK12 barrel, and I'm hoping it wasn't a mistake. That said, I don't deploy anymore, and my kit really doesn't see too much dirt or sand. I may not have an "actual" MK12, and I might not be able to swap parts with an active operator, but I don't give a flying hoot. If it shoots, I'll be happy. If I had the money, I might have gone a different route, but I think my DPMS is an amazing value.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USACS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: g3ninfinite</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USACS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcw1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BCM and DPMS both have a mk12 "flavored" setup now, but you need to realize that they are NOT spec, they don't even look right if you look closely. I'm sure they are great shooters, but if you want an actual mk12 they won't pass muster.

</div></div>

read what he typed. He said he's sure they are great shooters. But obviously anything other than a mk12 that is to spec isnt actually a mk12</div></div>
I read what he typed. It was rather vague what he was alluding to. I don't go and assume things if there's room for interpretation. I ask for clarification. Is there something wrong with that? </div></div>

There's nothing wrong with that. However I thought he was pretty clear. His post states rather explicitly that he's sure the other builds are great shooters but that they will not pass "muster." Now I don't know about you but to me muster means inspection. So knowing that he only meant they are not to spec builds and as such are not true mk12 uppers.

In the world of clones, the HCS offering is likely the closest to the issued, milspec MK12 uppers due to the builder probably having knowledge of the TDP.

It's the "Mk 12" designation that has become generic.

With that said, I for one would look at the title and think that the OP MEANS a true Mk12 upper. "TRUE" meaning built with parts that are the same specified parts on the mod1 or mod2.

If that is the case I know that kevin at High Caliber sales builds spec'd SPR's (mk12 mod0/1), mk18's, mk13 all with the proper SPECIFIED parts. High Caliber Sales

Also Centurion as BigJoe has stated above will do so also and also Wes at MSTN. Centurion Arms

Mid South Tactical Network

When you buy these uppers or complete rifles from these builders you are getting A SPR mk0/ mk1 just as it would have been built from NSWC in Crane.

DPMS thought it wise to jump on the "Mk12" bandwagon because the designation sells rifles. . These are what I like to refer to as SPR-ish rifles... not a true SPR, but their own interpretation of it.

If someone tells me they have a SPR mk12 mod 1, I'm expecting to see a MK12 Mod1 (KAC ras, ops inc collar/brake, KAC flip ups and all)... not no DPMS or BCM upper.

What's even funnier is that if you look at DPMS's line up of rifles... they ALL have designations that are from something else, example: Mk12, REPR, SASS, and PDW. I guess if it sells rifles then why not? haha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: g3ninfinite</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
There's nothing wrong with that. However I thought he was pretty clear. His post states rather explicitly that he's sure the other builds are great shooters but that they will not pass "muster." Now I don't know about you but to me muster means inspection. So knowing that he only meant they are not to spec builds and as such are not true mk12 uppers. </div></div>

That is exactly what I meant. I have owned plenty of DPMS stuff myself and was never disappointed. I'm sure their "mk 12" is no different, and I would bet it probably holds to that accuracy claim... but it isn't to spec, so if someone wanted an <span style="font-weight: bold">exact</span> clone, then they might be disappointed by the bcm and the DPMS because they are NOT made with spec parts. I don't doubt the quality of their build, just wanted people to be aware that those options are not technically correct if you are going for an accurate look.

I have a MK 12 mod O from wes at MSTN, it is a shooter, I have taken it to 600 with 77 grain BH and could not be more happy with the gun.

my buddy, Crazy Joe, just received his mk12 from HCS. It is beautiful. and i love the NF compact scope. I have a RRA AR-15 in 556/223 and am thinking DMR/SPR/mk12 upper on the RRA lower. I think the RRA lowers don't get enough credit and am very happy with the two stage trigger. breaks cleanly and predictably.

So I'm thinking keep the 16" upper with a red dot and have a mk12 upper to switch back and forth based on my mood and range availability. I have a NF F1 with Larue QD mount and BUIS to install on it as well. are they usually 18" or 20" barrels?

So just call Kevin and do it?

MSTN. WES built my MK12MOD1 upper in Aug 05 and it has run like a top since, including not being cleaned properly/regularly. If I had the funds, I'd buy another just like it to have one in just black.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blcouch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MSTN. WES built my MK12MOD1 upper in Aug 05 and it has run like a top since, including not being cleaned properly/regularly. If I had the funds, I'd buy another just like it to have one in just black. </div></div>
I will call him, thanks!