• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Bought a Beretta 92FS - Bloody thing has a 1000 pound trigger!!

Samuel Whittemore

in memory
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 8, 2018
    After falling for all the raves about the 92FS I bought one. Only to find the trigger pull is just retardedly difficult. Who can EVER stay on target when ya have a 1000 pound trigger? Ok. It's at least 20. But why the fuck did they ever make a hand gun with a 20 pound trigger? BOOO! Grrr. That's just plain stupid.

Does anyone have one and if so did you make mods and if so --WHAT mods? Seems next to impossible to hope to get it down to 3 pound single action and keep the integrity. I shoulda just gotten another CZ75b.

If you wanted a good trigger you should stick with CZ75 pistols by Cajun Gun Works.

Yes.. They are the BEST I got the mods he does done to my CZ.... but like I say. I fell for the the hype on this POS and I fucking hate it right out of the box brand new.

Adding insult to injury... I paid $200 over MSR because of the the run on guns. Might be a good gun if one has big hands and wants to do a bunch of fuckery modifications to it. Crap .. I think I'll just put it back for sale on Gun Broker.

• Love
    Reactions: Samuel Whittemore
    Here ya go-

And

Full disclosure-
    I've never used these products, but Wilson combat never does things poorly IME.
    I've spent a fortune on their 1911 and AR stuff.

Thannnnk you sir!!!
    I'll research it. If I can get it down to even 4 or 5 pounds I might do it. But my CZ is 2.5 pounds zero creep. So I'm kinda spoiled. hahah

You may dig the short reach trigger too, since you made the "if one has big hands" comment.

God, spending other people's money is fun. Best of luck!

Thanks for being kind enough to take the time.. What an awesome place S.H. is. And what the hell in for a penny in for a pound. If I still don't like it after the mods --then I'll sell it.

It was good enough for John McClane, Martin Riggs, and the T-1000.

Maybe you shouldn't skip finger day?

1603950573081.png

It doesn't take much to improve the trigger and it's relatively easy if you are mechanically inclined.

PM me your address and I'll dig around for and send you a Wilson short reach trigger (I didn't like it over the OEM trigger).

Next is a Langdon trigger bar and the "D" hammer spring. It should end around 4 to 4.5 pounds (required to shoot service pistol matches) and break clean.

Reactions: mewillis
    I was in your shoes about 5 years ago.

All the hype and specs meant that it should shoot lights out. Heavy steel frame, light slide, less reciprocating mass. One range session and it went back in the safe and never shot again.

Luckily about a 2 months ago, someone posted that they had a NIB CZ 457 Varmint that they were selling or trading and one of their interests was a 92FS. Done deal.

The 1000 pound trigger is to match its size scale making it equal to a 1000 pound gun.

if you only want a smoother trigger just change to the D spring. This pistol has the D spring, G conversion, short reach trigger, extended safety and combat hammer. If I can install the whole kit anybody can it just takes patience and care to not lose the tiny springs in the G kit. Mine was not bad from the factory but it's Italian and I know the US models have had some QC issues.
    IMG_0806.jpg

Reactions: Evlshnngns
    I have the M9 marked Beretta. Trigger job in a bag was all it needed.

My M9A3 has a wonderful trigger out of the box.

Reactions: 308pirate
    There is a lot you can do to the 92 series to improve it. Wilson combat sells a bunch of excellent parts as mentioned previously. They just happen to be real proud of their stuff. Definitely start with a "D" hammer spring. I believe it was 14lb if I recall correctly. Cheap and easy upgrade that may be all you need to improve the issue. I have had zero issues with light primer strikes with the D spring. If that doesn't improve it enough then look at the hammer bar and trigger upgrades. Personally, I would just start with a cheap D spring (Easy install) and clean the internals well and make sure the hammer bar isn't dragging on the frame. Make sure you polish the hammer strut when you replace the hammer spring with a D spring. That strut is stamped and tends to have burs and the hammer spring will bind and catch on the strut as it compresses, especially in double action pull.

*edit @gayguns is your issue with the Double Action trigger weight or too heavy for you in Single Action also? If it is a double action weight issue the D spring will help, but you will need to look at replacing the hammer bar and trigger to really get the DA pull down.

Easiest and cheapest upgrade is a few dollars for a D spring from Brownells. You will notice a difference. The BEST solution is the Langdon Trigger Job in a Bag - takes about 15 minutes to install yourself and it's outstanding. My DA is 6-7lbs and SA is mid 3's with it. It's a far better trigger now, than the $300+ (with shipping) I had done by the Sig Armorer on my MK25. I wish Langdon would do Sig Trigger Jobs!

After falling for all the raves about the 92FS I bought one.

Just a a quick question, is the 92FS suddenly all cool again?
    I had them back right when Clinton first got in, before the high capacity magazine ban.

Cool and all, but once I jumped into the H&K USP and USPc of the same timeframe, I didn't really give them as much thought.

Reactions: lash
    I had them back right when Clinton first got in, before the high capacity magazine ban.

Cool and all, but once I jumped into the H&K USP and USPc of the same timeframe, I didn't really give them as much thought.

Ben Stoeger began crushing everyone in both IDPA and USPSA with a Beretta 92 of some sort. Then CZ and Tanfoglio happened.

Beretta said, not good, and came out with this: https://www.beretta.com/en-us/92x-performance/ and gave one to JJ Racaza.

In between those two, Ernest Langdon (who worked for Beretta at one time) has been shooting them like a madman in front of a bunch of tactitards who can't conceive of anything besides a Glock and showing them what can be done with an "obsolete" pistol. Plus he tunes the shit out of them and has figured out a way to mill the 92 slide for optics.

Which leads to instagram/youtube influencers who actually can shoot to spread more Italian love

Its always been cool by those that actually shoot.

Fantastic platform, very easy to shoot and is accurate. Great beginner handgun to learn trigger control.

Probably the most underrated handgun in history due in part to retard level training in the US military along with piss poor PM and magazine acquisition. Before I got out our unit got brand new M9's and they were very good shooters.

Now I will argue the DA/SA is kind of obsolete as a fighting gun today with advent of quality striker guns, but if I had to have one, it would be a Wilson or LTT Beretta 92 of some sort. As reliable and well built as the USP is (Will also argue its the most reliable and durrable pistol ever made), their triggers are the weak point and blow donkey balls, and even the Match tactical is shit compared to a good striker trigger like the VP9 or PPQ.

West German Sigs, Beretta 92's and HK USP really were the holy trinity of DA/SA pistols in the 80's and 90's.

The 92 does have both a heavy and long DA trigger pull. Back in the day it proved especially difficult for female and people with small hands to qualify with. I grew accustomed to it and still have one to this day.

Its always been cool by those that actually shoot.

Fantastic platform, very easy to shoot and is accurate. Great beginner handgun to learn trigger control.

Probably the most underrated handgun in history due in part to retard level training in the US military along with piss poor PM and magazine acquisition. Before I got out our unit got brand new M9's and they were very good shooters.

Now I will argue the DA/SA is kind of obsolete as a fighting gun today with advent of quality striker guns, but if I had to have one, it would be a Wilson or LTT Beretta 92 of some sort. As reliable and well built as the USP is (Will also argue its the most reliable and durrable pistol ever made), their triggers are the weak point and blow donkey balls, and even the Match tactical is shit compared to a good striker trigger like the VP9 or PPQ.

West German Sigs, Beretta 92's and HK USP really were the holy trinity of DA/SA pistols in the 80's and 90's.
    Most excellent explanation and very accurate. Growing up actually using these guns during this time, I agree 100%. The Sig's still hold a near and dear place. I've always admired the 92s, if nothing but for their reliability and "sex appeal". The HK's really set the standard for a pistol being a tank. I've sold off many of the collection over the years but I still have a MK23, a Wilson 92 and of course about 75% of the Sig's I've owned. Those won't be going anywhere. What do I carry now and mostly for the last 15+ years? STI Tac 5.0 go figure....

Recently acquired one of those $300 Italian police trade in 92S guns. Thought about molesting it but think I’ll leave it be. It’s sitting next to an all original 86 W German p226 in the safe

I'm not sure about cool again. I bought mine after my last cruise, 2004, a year before I retired from active duty. I had a pocket full of money and the MCX Range had their range guns on sale to replace them. I bought it to shoot as a "Service Pistol" and because it was the service pistol.when I retired. I had 2 1911's but no Beretta.

I shoot an occasional 3 gun or Service Pistol match with it.

Thanks Bro..... I'll Google it
    :)
    I did the Wilson swaps with mine, including the short trigger. If I were to do it again I'd look harder at the Langson Trigger Job in a Bag.

I dont have the numbers in front of me but if I recall I went from 12 pound DA to about 8, and my SA is about 5. If I think about it tomorrow I'll do current trigger weights and list parts.

No problems with the Wilson parts, I think by the time I was done I may have paid less for the Langdon kit. To get the Wilson draw bar I had to buy a kit I didn't need for one part.

I'd also convert it to decocker only / g, but that's just personally preference. I hate external safeties on handguns.
    If that was an option for Service Pistol I would have done it. Great 3 Gun and carry option. Service Pistol has to have the Safety as issued.

I'm not sure about cool again. I bought mine after my last cruise, 2004, a year before I retired from active duty. I had a pocket full of money and the MCX Range had their range guns on sale to replace them. I bought it to shoot as a "Service Pistol" and because it was the service pistol.when I retired. I had 2 1911's but no Beretta.

I shoot an occasional 3 gun or Service Pistol match with it.
    I picked up a Mossberg 500 and a Bushmaster from there, ~2008-2009. Then rented a locker to keep them in because I was geo-bachelor on a carrier.

Do they still sell of range guns?

About 15 years ago my buddy bought a 1-year old Bushmaster M4 and a Beretta M9 rentals from the Camp Allen MCX/MWR in Norfolk, both with big discounts. New barrel and the carbine was back to work, then he flipped it for a profit. He still has the M9.

About 15 years ago my buddy bought a 1-year old Bushmaster M4 and a Beretta M9 rentals from the Camp Allen MCX/MWR in Norfolk, both with big discounts. New barrel and the carbine was back to work, then he flipped it for a profit. He still has the M9.
    I don't remember what I paid for the Bushmaster (it was the fixed carry handle model) but it's still unmolested in my safe.

I picked up a Mossberg 500 and a Bushmaster from there, ~2008-2009. Then rented a locker to keep them in because I was geo-bachelor on a carrier.

Do they still sell of range guns?
    I havent seen them sell them lately but I don't get in there as often as I should.

I loved my M9 (92fs) when I was active duty 15 years ago. The original barrel had small rust pits along where the lands/groove met. 3 armorers said as long as it functioned, they weren't gonna replace the barrel. It shot OK at best. Fast forward a year and I'm on deployment, I show my new armorer the barrel, and he hands me a brand new barrel still in plastic wrap and factory grease. Holy shit that thing shot fantastic!

I still have my mags from that time as well. I think I may need to get a 92 just for nostalgia. I always liked how they looked.

Reactions: gunsnjeeps
    I put a LTT trigger job in a bag and a g model de-cocker conversion in my 92FS. It completely changed the personality of the platform. I can’t say enough positive things about the changes. I carried a duty M9 daily for 15 years and grew used to it but didn’t really like it. I know like it.

I love my civilian model of the M9. Have a couple in fact. Carried the M9 in the military for years and was never impressed with the beat up pieces of shit we had. Bought a new one and it is a true night and day experience. I was impressed at how well it shot compared the one I was issued. They are damn good hanguns that are reliable as all get out, suppress well, and shoot any ammo you feed it. Plus they have all those sexy Italian curves and are aesthetically pleasing. I am tempted to get a M9A3 simply to try the vertec grip but I really don't need more Berettas.

DA/SA pistols are obsolete for fighting till you get the fuck shot out of you by someone who knows how to use one.

In any case, a striker fired pistol doesn't make anyone any better than they would be with a DA/SA. If your trigger control sucks so bad that you shank the DA shot, it will probably suck almost as bad with a heavy, gritty, stacky [Glock] trigger.

Man the fuck up, strengthen your hands, make a c clamp grip with your strong hand and a DA trigger is a non issue. Then enjoy a sweet ass SA trigger that blows away any striker for the rest of your magazine.

But why the fuck did they ever make a hand gun with a 20 pound trigger?
    One word...lawyers.

Right up there with the 10 lb trigger with tons of pre-play on my Benelli SBE....and it ain't 10 lbs and it ain't that sloppy anymore but yeah, gunsmith work to correct it to something reasonable. sigh