• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing Bowhunting elk in CO next week, any suggestions?

JKaiser

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2010
N TX
Heading to CO next week elk hunting. Plan on starting around the Ridgeway, Owl Creek Pass, Silverjack area (GMU 66 I think). Anyone had any luck in that area? I hunted second season there a couple of years ago with no luck. I know the population is fair in that area. Does anyone know if they are rutting yet?

Thanks for the help.

JJ

Re: Bowhunting elk in CO next week, any suggestions?

I hunted in that area last year near Silver Jack Lake. It's pretty rough country but there are elk in there. I didn't kill anything but was satisfied with the amount of game I saw. Take plenty of water, it looks like its going to be hotter there this year then it was last year. Let us know how you do.

Go up as high as there is cover.Away from roads and crowds.Take a 1 man tent 3 days food a partner,and go in 1/2-1 days hike....cow call only.
This method has worked for me in CO.(Craig) and MT.(Darby)
OMHO...
bill larson

Thanks for all the info. I really appreciate it. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

JJ

Just got back. Managed to take a 5x5. Bulls are just starting to scream and move around. Everything I encountered was up high on the ridges. I didn't see anything in the valleys. So if you're going be prepared to cover a lot of ground at higher elevation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just got back. Managed to take a 5x5. Bulls are just starting to scream and move around. Everything I encountered was up high on the ridges. I didn't see anything in the valleys. So if you're going be prepared to cover a lot of ground at higher elevation. </div></div>
nice, you get any pics... we had a cold front move in yesterday, them bulls are starting it up... i can step outside my reloading room and hear em screamin from a mile a way!!!

congrats! i went opening week last year. saw lots of elk, and came with in feet of a spike, but the closest i got to a shooter was 71 yards

I'm trying this picture thing so if it doesn't work don't bust my balls.

download

Picked up the elk from the processor yesterday and had steaks for dinner. Wow I forgot how good elk taste. If anyone in N Tx needs a good processor let me know these people are fast and do great work, and did I mention they are really reasonable.

JJ