• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

British sniper breaks Rob Furlong's record

Re: British sniper breaks Rob Furlong's record

By the way, it has nothing to do with where the sniper is from. He could be from china with a ninja star or from africa with a spear for all I care. The basic facts of the whole situation does not add up. As stated above, the driver of the truck could have called his shots but if he truly hit,cold bore at that distance with that weapon, he didn't need a spotter anyway. Just the facts from what I have read don't add up. That's all. I guess the old saying is true, the sun does shine on a dogs ass every once in a while.

You guy's have it all wrong.
Blankenship cooked the whole thing up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bondoscustomz1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Basic point. Bullshit! </div></div>

Care to expound on your massive amounts of knowledge in regards to shooting at 1 mile and beyond?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bondoscustomz1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It took Furlong 3 shots with a much more capable weapon and a trained spotter. </div></div>

Care to explain what makes the BMG are more capable weapon?
HINT HINT---don't believe what the media says
smile.gif

As Later and the guys at DTA proved "It is Possible"

I take my hat off to you guys.
Only wish there were ranges in the UK where civies could try at those distance.

I gueess the old adage is true.

Those that can "Do" those that can't sit back and talk.

Thank's later and the crew

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bondoscustomz1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Basic point. Bullshit! A guy driving the truck as a spotter? Come on. BS surely. It took Furlong 3 shots with a much more capable weapon and a trained spotter. You know what, I may be wrong, miracles do happen. If its true( I wasn't there) damn good shootin'. </div></div>

Ever shot a BMG to those distances, if so I would like to know how it worked out for you.

I received all my training at NGS and is a highly classified facility. I have a BS degree in NDH. So enough about me. If the guy made the shots, with all the facts seemingly unreal,then by all means I salute and bow down to my in abilities because that is what seems to be in question. I was not the one to make the shot or claimed so. I apologize to all for my previous statements as I am just a nobody in world that just has an opinion. Good day.

There is no way this happened...
has the London Times changed it's name to star or National enquirer ?

Thunderbolt, you gotta be careful what you say over this issue cause a few get their panties in a wad and will turn on you. Good luck cause I bow down to all those above me........

I have alot of respect for many guys on this site.
But to believe that story is horse shit.
Later is probably very skilled at the extened long range shooting as anyone.
Unless I missed something the guys only hit the target once outta 20 or 30 rounds.
That is far from 3 shots 3 hits.

Yeah, that was what I was saying but I think someone took it as it couldn't be done. I never said it couldn't and never said that there aren't guys on here capable. The Brit is probably capable. But all the info on this confirmed 3 for 3 is quite suspect. And there are other weapons more capable than the 338LM at that distance. I believe that 2800 plus meters for the 338LM is a little out there. Am I wrong? Probability and capability are two different subjects. I may own a weapon that is very capable but my probability of hitting at over a mile and a half is highly unlikely. I put those two words in a sentence together so that maybe someone would understand my meaning.lol. No disrespect to those that can do such a feat and I give you praise as I am not one of those guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2800 plus meters </div></div>

It's claimed 2475 meters and zero wind, 3000 feet asl higher. We were shooting in 9 to 25 MPH winds. It wasn't ideal for recreation but seems possible now.

I didn't believe it either, we have learned enough by just trying to live with bunched panties. In fact, next time out I'm useing 250gr scenars at close to 3100fps. Just to see if they get there.

I apologize for my mis-statement of 2800 meters. That could possibly be why I am having a hard time believing. So to your statement of trying the 250gr at 3100 to "get there", how many shots have you made prior to going out again? The reason I ask this goes back to the 3 for 3 shots and confirmed kills. Not saying it can't be done but again my theory of capability VS probability. I am truly curious to know what it takes for you to get there. Thanks

Its like politics on this thread. Alot of those who say it can't be done or doubt what Later and the guys did the other day, ON VIDEO, is possible, didn't read everything and all the disclaimers made by them about elevation differences and bullet differences. Its a whole lot of skimming over the story and not looking into the details to find out what was actually done. The object of there research as I see it was to prove the stability of the 338 projectile as those distances and the ability for one to place said projectiles within a reasonable accuracy on target. Given the easily seen and heard wind on the video and the longer flight times due to lower ASL shooting local, the did a fine job getting within feet and hitting the target a few times. I'm really having a hard time believing that many of those that doubt this account ON VIDEO and the ability for them to do it simply are using their own experience (none) to qualify the research that Later and crew did.

Bottom Line, READ THE FRIGGEN POST's Then you'll find out that they already thought of your argument and shot it down to begin with.

Gentlemen, many of those who doubt the shot quote the initial press report. It may be of interest that the Unit concerned were being interviewed about deployement in Afg. It was mentioned in passing about this contact and the reported picked up on the sniper side. With more investigation the reporter realised that the range quoted was a record. From there the story was reported with some issues; the snipers name being made public was the big one. Also the report 'quoting' the sniper about the amount of shots fired, much to the dismay of the Unit concerned.

Now, it may come as a surprise to many on this site but most British snipers did not know and to be honest were not in the slightest bit interested in the 'record'. They also have a tradition of 'pushing' their kit to the limit. The mindset of 'ah shit, Ill give it a bash' is always present.

Some lessons have been learned from the way this story was presented to the media: first no Brit sniper that pulls off a good shot is going to knowingly let the press know unless forced to by the MOD. The death threats and having to move house issue makes life shit, secondly your name is dragged through the mud by those that should be supporting what you are doing on behalf of your country. You may not wish to believe the press, but at least have the integrity to believe a patrol report that was completed by men who had just returned from contact without thought of 'records'. Enough said.

By looking at the so called facts of the report,probably distorted to some extent by the media,you have to question the validity of these claims. As I have and many others have. To the unit and the sniper that has been in question, thank you for your service and what you have had to endure through this whole ordeal. We all agree that it is not about making or breaking a record but it is about services made by these gentlemen to help the cause of doing what is right and to protect our fellow soldiers from harms way. As I stated before,by all reports made,the probability of the 3 shot 3 kill was what I was questioning the most with this particular weapon system. It was not my intent to "bash" the unit or the sniper in this incident. I support our military and those involved that are committed to doing what is asked of them by their military, without question. I apologize if I may have offended anyone here or abroad as I was merely commenting on the stated,so called facts of the reports. I am and will always be 100 percent in support of our guys(and those supporting)and the cause that they are asked to fight for.to the sniper and his unit, we thank you for doing what you are doing and have done and I will no longer question you but support you in all that you do. Please accept my apologies......T

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">250gr at 3100 to "get there", how many shots have you made prior to going out again?</div></div>

Agreeing they don't care what we think, fat people sitting at a computers opinions don't hold much weight with people who have reached that level of achievement.

But we now know, we can shoot at zombies from 2700 yards with 300gr in 338LM.

Sorry guys I do thank these men for their service.

I still do not believe it can be done 3 for 3 at 2800 yrds w 250 gr flat base 338 LM.

NO WAY.

I do believe later, and the video. The video was not even close to proving 3 for 3 shots hiting a man at 2800 yds. Like i said they took many shots and only hit the target once. That is not 3 for 3.........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THUNDERBOLT68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry guys I do thank these men for their service.

I still do not believe it can be done 3 for 3 at 2800 yrds w 250 gr flat base 338 LM.

NO WAY.

I do believe later, and the video. The video was not even close to proving 3 for 3 shots hiting a man at 2800 yds. Like i said they took many shots and only hit the target once. That is not 3 for 3......... </div></div>

Gentlemen, read my previous! The individual concerned NEVER mentioned three for three. He never mentioned how many rounds were fired either. In passing it was mentioned that a couple of talib were hit at a given range. The media make their livelyhood out of selling what others do; if there are gaps in what they know, they may choose to fill them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kiterme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Amazing! Where are the photos of the machine gun wich is also not included in the other versions I have read?

From Wikipedia:

" In a subsequent BBC interview, Harrison reported it took about nine shots for him and his spotter to initially range the target successfully. Then, he reported, his first shot “on target” was a killing shot.[7]

This feat is not typical for the effective range with a high first-hit probability of the employed rifle system on static targets (see maximum effective range). The shots were aided by the ambient air density near the valley in which Musa Qala is situated and where CoH Harrison operated, which is significantly lower than at sea level due to Musa Qala's 1,043 m (3,422 ft) mean elevation."

</div></div>
After this, i can see it happening

Okay, So now the story is there was a sniper who took many shots ( not sure how many ? )at approx. 2800 yds. He killed 2 bad guys and one machine gun. With a 338lm.
Well, I can believe that because Later proved that.
So what's the big deal then......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THUNDERBOLT68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
So what's the big deal then...... </div></div>

2700 + yard confirmed kills. I'd say that a pretty big deal.

Now with this previous post from kiterme, it seems reasonable. He had a few sighters to get the corrections needed for the kill. My hats off to the shooter and his unit for a job well done. Thank you for all that you have done and will continue to do. Tommy

And yes, it is a big deal because of the fellow soldiers lives that have been saved.

old post, but did you guys glean from the accurate shooters link that he actually shot 12times. 9 sighters then 3 hits.
Who cares if it was luck or not.

#1327091 - September 09, 2009 03:45

The above posting reported this way back in September! The issue was discussed at length and if I recall correct two established Hide members duplicated the exact shot(s) and even posted video of this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Emouse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">#1327091 - September 09, 2009 03:45

The above posting reported this way back in September! The issue was discussed at length and if I recall correct two established Hide members duplicated the exact shot(s) and even posted video of this.</div></div>

Yes they did. In Utah where the elevation is about the same. Excellent job of pushing the limits if I do say so myself.
wink.gif
grin.gif

Thank you, was done out of curiosity. If I can hit a 36" disk at 2707 yards with a .338 LM I have shot less then 20 rounds
from previously.. in 4 shots. Any trained active shooter can accoplish the same or better.

Stranger things have happend, I will state this once, due to it's significance to the topics "Luck" factor.

Factory LMT .308 MWSE 16", newly purchased, Troy front, ARMS rear,Iron sights. 1st shot hit on 15" x 25" steel at 600 yards.

It happend, shit happens. I won't even mention the other shots of the day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LSU- SEC Rules</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Luck has nothing to do with intuitive skills and horse sense. </div></div>

No, the percentage of good luck {edit: as in this case} always, in my experience, seems to increase exponentially with a foundation of damn good training behind it.

Saw a documentary on the Brits in Afghanistan last week and in their FOB they'd rigged up a 105mm light gun to use in a direct fire mode with the barrel pointing directly at the enemy. They'd stuck a S&B on the side and i'd suggest it won't be long before that long range record is broken if it hasn't been on a regular basis already. Neat idea but i'm thinking you would probably want a little more eye relief than the S&B offers when that one goes off.

Two seperate manufactures of iron sights one front and one rear, never zeroed at any distance, with a 1st shot hit on a 15" x 25" steel torso at 600 yards is luck.

I may have accoplished mechanically correct technique for the shot, but the chances of the iron sights being zeroed at that distance is luck.

Frontline Battle Machines on the Discovery Channel

http://www.yourdiscovery.com/web/frontline-battle-machines/

The first episode was the best so far. The TV crew went in on a medical chinook to pick up casualties. I don't know what was more scary, the helicopter getting completely shot up and the pilot being shot in the head (but still managed to fly the aircraft back to base) or the fact that this particular helicopter saw action in the Falklands war in 1982 making it the oldest in the British Amry apparently. Complete credit to the guys who do this day in, day out !