• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

British sniper breaks Rob Furlong's record

Re: British sniper breaks Rob Furlong's record

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
There are some days we are just damn good. There are some days we are just lucky. Rarely those two come together and some amazing shit occurs. We need that to offset the days when we are not so good, not so lucky, and end up with flag draped coffins. </div></div>

New sig line.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NachtKracht</div><div class="ubbcode-body">(hope your got enough butter with your popcorn)
I know this SF sniper, whose unit was about to recce a village but they heard on a talib frequency that they were expected. One talib told another talib to load his PKM and to give them hell if those infidels reached the edge of the village. The unit spotted the PKM shooter near a crossing.
At 1500m distance the SF commander asked the sniper if he could hit him from this range with the Barrett. The guy replied, yes, probably, but that under these conditions he could not guarantee a first shot hit.
If the first shot is not a hit, most of the talibs over there duck for cover and refuse to stand still, contrary to what some sniper stories tend to rap about...
He proposed to his commander a different idea. What if he was to take his colleague spotter and his AWSM 338 rifle, crawl close enough to guarantee the PKM shooter would be neutralized. So said so done. After walking, crouching and crawling for about 1200m's he sets up, and shoots the pkm guy centerchest. Nothing fancy smancy, no head shot, just centermass with about 6000 joules of energy. PKM guy no longer has a chest. His unit still got into a TIC afterwards, but at least they entered the village unscratched. Afterwards his CO tells about this feat to the RR commander. His response? “Hmmppffrr, the Canadians shoot talibs at 2800m’s all the time, even I can hit that target at 300m, I once shot a fallplate at 800m with a FAL….”

NK.
</div></div>

What kind of moron stalks to within 300m of a PKM when not necessary?!?!?!? This violates SEVERAL basic rules for snipers. And at 1200m under PERFECT conditions and dope, you're still about 80% likely to miss with an M107. Maybe I'm missing some key points in the story, but at the surface that sounds like very poor judgement.

anyway, back to your regularly scheduled program.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DaddyPig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You's all just jealous 'cause he's a Brit.......
whistle.gif

grin.gif
</div></div>

Anybody ever see the Mythbusters debunk of the Carlos Hathcock "shot through the scope" kill/myth? Or was that just about the guy in Saving Private Ryan?

Hasn't it been proven that the mythbusters guys are full of shit?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
There are some days we are just damn good. There are some days we are just lucky. Rarely those two come together and some amazing shit occurs. We need that to offset the days when we are not so good, not so lucky, and end up with flag draped coffins. </div></div>

New sig line. </div></div>

I have read that somewhere before... Patton rings a bell for some reason...

Lw

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hasn't it been proven that the mythbusters guys are full of shit? </div></div>

That's precisely the point poison123!

What some people say or "prove" is impossible may actually be possible?

Anybody ever see the Mythbusters debunk of the Carlos Hathcock "shot through the scope" kill/myth? Or was that just about the guy in Saving Private Ryan? [/quote]

Have you seen the doc sniper : inside the cross hairs, I believe it was in there that they proved it possible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anybody ever see the Mythbusters debunk of the Carlos Hathcock "shot through the scope" kill/myth? Or was that just about the guy in Saving Private Ryan? </div></div>

Actually, they couldn't replicate the shot because they were using a more modern scope which are made a little beefier with more glass than the old 1950-60'sh scope found on the enemies rifle.

They stated at the end of the show, that although they couldn't do it.....it may be possible if they had shot at the original scope.....

At least that's what I remember....

In a later episode, they went back to try it again due to people writing in. When they fired at a scope with a similar number of lenses / construction to the russian PE/PU... they confirmed it was possibible.

Re: Mythbusters

They "proved" it couldn't be done because they can't do it. I think that is exactly the argument here.

Incidentally, I watched the history channel the other evening and one of the guys stories was a Marine named Reichert. He tested a modern scope like Mythbusters did and sure enough the bullet wouldn't go through. But when he tested a scope with the same number of lenses that the Vietnamese sniper up against Hathcock had...it went through.

So with it being possible. It was lucky to have everything come together and make two kills at that range.

Luck wouldn't have much of a hand in this if the sniper didn't have a whole lot of skill to take advantage of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Re: Mythbusters

They "proved" it couldn't be done because they can't do it. I think that is exactly the argument here.

Incidentally, I watched the history channel the other evening and one of the guys stories was a Marine named Reichert. He tested a modern scope like Mythbusters did and sure enough the bullet wouldn't go through. But when he tested a scope with the same number of lenses that the Vietnamese sniper up against Hathcock had...it went through.

So with it being possible. It was lucky to have everything come together and make two kills at that range.

Luck wouldn't have much of a hand in this if the sniper didn't have a whole lot of skill to take advantage of it. </div></div>That was the show I had seen

That statement at the end was added later. It was not on the original viewing of that episode. They had to do it because they got called on it. Even then they said it wasn't plausible. Probably because Jaime is a better shot than Carlos....
wink.gif
laugh.gif
wink.gif
whistle.gif
(riiiiiight.....)

First mesureing dicks. Now the two butt pirates from myth busters!!! This thing is going down in flames(flamers???).Hard to belive anything you read just look how far off base this thread has come.
Scot

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First mesureing dicks. Now the two butt pirates from myth busters!!! This thing is going down in flames(flamers???).Hard to belive anything you read just look how far off base this thread has come.
Scot</div></div>

Off thread?

There's a lot of posts here doubting this story - some based on 338 ballistics, some based on the premise that "if I can't do it, it can't be done".

The whole "Mythbusters"/Hathcock point is to illustrate that "proving" something can't be done, isn't always straight forward.

And there may just be some guys out there capable of doing what, for others, seems unlikely or impossible.

I remember reading a report (or it may even have been a thread on the Hide) about two UK Royal Marine snipers dropping two high ranking Iraqi officers with simultaneous shots in high desert winds at 800yds.

Is this latest story propaganda bullshit, real or a stretch on a less impressive feat of arms?

Truth is that it's likely nobody here will ever know.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I remember reading a report (or it may even have been a thread on the Hide) about two UK Royal Marine snipers dropping two high ranking Iraqi officers with simultaneous shots in high desert winds at 800yds.

Is this latest story propaganda bullshit, real or a stretch on a less impressive feat of arms?
</div></div>

If its the same report I recall, it was in the Press or on the BBC. It was at the start of GW2 and the British had formed up outside Basra ready to go in. They wanted to go in without reducing the town to rubble so a low key approach was the prefered option.

At one point, there was a bit of a Mexican stand off with two Iraqi tanks which were sitting in front of a school or hospital. The two Iraqi commanders had their heads out of their turrets observing the British some 800m away.

Not wanting to risk civvie casualties, the British commander called forward two RM snipers and asked if they could sort it out.

In very high winds, they set up (in front of the Reporter) and took two simultaneous shots, killing both Iraqi commanders, which in turn prompted the rest of the crews to abandon their vehicles and flee on foot.

The thing that struck me aout the incicent was the way it was reported ie very matter of fact. The Reporter obviously didn't appreciate the level of skill needed to make those shots and reported them as if they were the most ordinary shots in the world.

Regards,

Peter

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete E</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

If its the same report I recall, it was in the Press or on the BBC. It was at the start of GW2 and the British had formed up outside Basra ready to go in. They wanted to go in without reducing the town to rubble so a low key approach was the prefered option.

At one point, there was a bit of a Mexican stand off with two Iraqi tanks which were sitting in front of a school or hospital. The two Iraqi commanders had their heads out of their turrets observing the British some 800m away.

Not wanting to risk civvie casualties, the British commander called forward two RM snipers and asked if they could sort it out.

In very high winds, they set up (in front of the Reporter) and took two simultaneous shots, killing both Iraqi commanders, which in turn prompted the rest of the crews to abandon their vehicles and flee on foot.

The thing that struck me aout the incicent was the way it was reported ie very matter of fact. The Reporter obviously didn't appreciate the level of skill needed to make those shots and reported them as if they were the most ordinary shots in the world.

Regards,

Peter

</div></div>

I may be wrong on this but a story I read on Military.com was two Iraqis, can't remember the nature of who they were, were both hit at a range of 1100m in strong winds, simultaneously. The shooters were "both required to hold off 56 ft.at that range" because of the wind.
The obvious maximum range of the 7.62 NATO was key in the story, but then they gave credit for the strong winds. But, as most of you know the distance in shooter-speak would not have been 56 ft. but rather in inches or Mil/MOA. The story did state they were British Snipers.
Even if this is the same story (as it may well be) and the range was exaggerated, I agree with you 100%. Making a shot like that simultaneously is difficult enough @800m in high winds. Stretching the truth only dims credibility of the difficult task. It never dawns on reporters that @800m in even a few mph of variable wind can cause a miss. In high winds that leaves a lot more room to miss than hit. Especially fluctuating winds where that has to be coordinated to be on, have the right measured wind, and distance, then pull the triggers simultaneously while that happens. Of course someone wants to call it routine. It's anything but.

FWIW, on the History channel program that was on the other night the first piece they did was a Marine sniper who was on overwatch for a road just under 800m. long. The thing I was appreciative of wasn't the distance but the time he was making these long shots in. Everything was within the range of the 7.62 NATO he was using, just that he only got 1-5 seconds to engage targets. And most of them were moving. He had to guess where they ended up. What he did was flat out awesome. But it won't go in any record book other than he got confirmed kills.

I'd like to see Snipers hide's own myth busters-team trying to reenact the different shots that are currently being discussed, to se what size of target they need to secure a hit and so on - anyone with 2,5 km range, lots of guns and up for the challenge?
wink.gif

Harrison, 2,475 m .338 LM, 250 gr
Furlong, 2,430 m .50 BMG, 700 gr
Hathcock, 2,286 m .50 BMG, M2 ball(?)(Preferably shot with an M2!)
Gilliand, 1,250 m .7,62 NATO M118/M118LR

I think a test would conclude that all the above shots are really hard to repeat easily..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cazorp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd like to see Snipers hide's own myth busters-team trying to reenact the different shots that are currently being discussed, to se what size of target they need to secure a hit and so on - anyone with 2,5 km range, lots of guns and up for the challenge?
wink.gif

I think a test would conclude that all the above shots are really hard to repeat easily.. </div></div>

No doubts that all of the above shots are difficult and it could very well a once in a life time shot. If I am correct, all of these are confirmed kills.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmmm...and he shot the machine gun as well on the third shot????

So that's 3 hits in a row at 2706 yards with the third making a 1/8 MOA hit.
crazy.gif

</div></div>

Article I read states it took him 9 rounds to get on target, still quite impressive at almost 3000 yards!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...ish-patrol.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cazorp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd like to see Snipers hide's own myth busters-team trying to reenact the different shots that are currently being discussed, to se what size of target they need to secure a hit and so on - anyone with 2,5 km range, lots of guns and up for the challenge?
wink.gif

I think a test would conclude that all the above shots are really hard to repeat easily.. </div></div>

Don't forget to add in the stress of combat and the potential of a counter-sniper getting a shot at the "myth buster"
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DaveX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cazorp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd like to see Snipers hide's own myth busters-team trying to reenact the different shots that are currently being discussed, to se what size of target they need to secure a hit and so on - anyone with 2,5 km range, lots of guns and up for the challenge?
wink.gif

Don't forget to add in the stress of combat and the potential of a counter-sniper getting a shot at the "myth buster"
grin.gif
</div></div>

Obviously something that is really hard to simulate, but hopefully thats what they train for to be able to excel even when the going gets tough..

Moadster - I believe that is another story you're linking to where some Brit-sniper was able to get 5 talibans in just 28 seconds..

there are so many versions of this story kicking about, they are going to be all wrong. whatever the army said will not matter our press over here just make it up to suit

just like the hollywood historic films - braveheart bullshit

lets get a life

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chanonry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just like the hollywood historic films - braveheart bullshit</div></div>

Wait...are you insinuating that Randall Wallace and Mel Gibson did NOT accurately portray the events surrounding William Wallace's role in the freeing of Scotland from the tyranny of England? *GASP*

Next you'll be saying that Hollywood is NOT qualified to teach history to our children (or the rest of us for that matter).

I've watched with interest as the medium of film has been used to communicate historic events on a wide scale. Sometimes accurately, usually horribly distorted. Not without agenda, I'm sure.

Also watching this thread with interest, because the one thing that keeps it alive (aside from our innate need to quibble about the silliest details) is a passionate desire for the truth to be known and the events to be portrayed as accurately as possible.

We all win when real history is preserved.

Good on you all.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hasn't it been proven that the mythbusters guys are full of shit? </div></div>

-Plausible
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chanonry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
there are so many versions of this story kicking about, they are going to be all wrong. whatever the army said will not matter our press over here just make it up to suit

just like the hollywood historic films - braveheart bullshit

lets get a life </div></div>

Chanonry, there are several different British sniper stories floating about at the moment. Some of the media are mixing them up but they are are different Units, locations and contacts. I have been in comms with an individual who was involved with the Household Cav contact and the shot was verified.

What the press reported afterwards, I dont care about but I do care when folks rip the pish out of the guys at the sharp end. There are also some sniper contacts that may or may not get into the press at a later date which will raise as many eyebrows. Hopefully the MOD will put its collective brain back into its arse and not release any more of these contacts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Next you'll be saying that Hollywood is NOT qualified to teach history to our children (or the rest of us for that matter).</div></div>

Surely not?
wink.gif

You mean it wasn't you Yanks that retrieved the Enigma code machine??? I'm truly shocked!!
laugh.gif

Wow , if this is true I am impressed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redbastrd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow , if this is true I am impressed </div></div>

The Enigma? ....that's old news
whistle.gif

Too funny. I wonder if you put some popcorn with caramels in it in the middle of a bunch of them, they will keep coming like prairie dogs... I digress
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: win70chris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Taliban are good for something. Helping set records</div></div>

Look i have to say get over it he made the shot, done the buisness & is the best sniper in the hole history of the world & yes he is a BRITISH PARA steely eyed dealer of death so pick up your dummys & your teddy bears its clearly past some peoples bed times, swollow your pride oh have i mentioned hes Brit & move on.
one day some of you might have a True story to tell, Like this one. last year i was out stalking deer about 3 hours into it i spotted this 20 pointer ouh about 2 miles away on this ridge so i wet my finger put it in the air to gauge wind direction speed temp you know the usuel stuff then took a wide stance like a rock star on stage made all the relevant calculations in my highly evolved brain & took the shot, i then made the long walk to my quarry about 2-2.5miles. my luck was in as the deer had fallen down this ravene & the tree branches had skinned gutted & chopped the deer up on its way down but my luck had not stopped there oh no the meat had fallen in to a natral hot spring & had cooked the venison to perfection by the time i got there which was just aswell as i was ravished from the hiking around.
this is a true story as i had it comfirmed by those lovely people at NCIS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NIMROD777</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look i have to say get over it he made the shot, done the buisness & is the best sniper in the hole history of the world ....</div></div>

Don't tell me, let me guess, ...you're eyes are brown, aren't they?

Dude you know of me then cool<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fred_C_Dobbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NIMROD777</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look i have to say get over it he made the shot, done the buisness & is the best sniper in the hole history of the world ....</div></div>

Don't tell me, let me guess, ...you're eyes are brown, aren't they? </div></div>

Amazing! Where are the photos of the machine gun wich is also not included in the other versions I have read?

From Wikipedia:

" In a subsequent BBC interview, Harrison reported it took about nine shots for him and his spotter to initially range the target successfully. Then, he reported, his first shot “on target” was a killing shot.[7]

This feat is not typical for the effective range with a high first-hit probability of the employed rifle system on static targets (see maximum effective range). The shots were aided by the ambient air density near the valley in which Musa Qala is situated and where CoH Harrison operated, which is significantly lower than at sea level due to Musa Qala's 1,043 m (3,422 ft) mean elevation."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kiterme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Amazing! Where are the photos of the machine gun wich is also not included in the other versions I have read?

From Wikipedia:

" In a subsequent BBC interview, Harrison reported it took about nine shots for him and his spotter to initially range the target successfully. Then, he reported, his first shot “on target” was a killing shot.[7]

This feat is not typical for the effective range with a high first-hit probability of the employed rifle system on static targets (see maximum effective range). The shots were aided by the ambient air density near the valley in which Musa Qala is situated and where CoH Harrison operated, which is significantly lower than at sea level due to Musa Qala's 1,043 m (3,422 ft) mean elevation."
</div></div>

I'm pretty sure that report relates to another recent contact by a British sniper. IIRC he took 9 shots to range on to the bag guys, then dropped 5 of them in the next 30 seconds. I don't recall the range exactly, but it was "long"; in excess of a 1000m anyway..

Impressive, hard to believe, but hey... shit happens when you want it to. I can only imagine the mindset of the shooter/spotter when they were trying to dial it in. But I can definitely see it happening.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BadBot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to know what scope has over 150 moa comeups.

dang brits, nice job </div></div>

Thats what I was thinking. He would of had to max out his turret then held so high he could barely see them. God...I wonder what that would look like. I would have been so excited after the first shot I would have been completely useless after that.

S&B 5-25 with P4Fine on a 40MOA base.

6 Mil elevation from a 100yard zero dial in 25 Mil elevation adjust scope down to 8x to have enough Mils in the reticle to get the correct elevation needed.

The vertical cross hair and the bottom bar of the horizontal ranging indicator in the P4 fine reticle was our zero for holds.

Gets him there, follow the link on my previous post.

reticle.jpg

I see alot of "Tall Poppy syndrome" from some people. Someone does something that makes them stand out and people want to cut them down. If a bullet can travel that distance, then surely it can do enough damage. I see alot of bullet data this, my iphone data says that. At the end of the day, these guys train their asses of for this type of thing and when your on Ops you get to train at ranges and in ways you dont get to back home. Finding the range from one point to another is as simple as looking on a map, especially if they are on prominent features, I used to do exactly that as a baggy (pvt). Im sure there are some inaccuracies and details omitted from the articles (shame on the MoD for dropping names aswell). But hey, these guys are some of the best in the world (true snipers of any countries military, not guys with scopes). So in my opinion anythings possible so Ill give credit where credit is due.
Nice work Cpl Harrison.

Who does this guy think he is Bob Lee Swagger or maybe Tom Berringer? Hell I shot a squirrel in the left nut at a grand with a .22. Top that! No animals were harmed in the making of this post. All above characters are fictitious and any likeness is purely coincidental. T

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bondoscustomz1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who does this guy think he is Bob Lee Swagger or maybe Tom Berringer? Hell I shot a squirrel in the left nut at a grand with a .22. Top that! No animals were harmed in the making of this post. All above characters are fictitious and any likeness is purely coincidental. T </div></div>

?

Whats your point?

Basic point. Bullshit! A guy driving the truck as a spotter? Come on. BS surely. It took Furlong 3 shots with a much more capable weapon and a trained spotter. You know what, I may be wrong, miracles do happen. If its true( I wasn't there) damn good shootin'.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bondoscustomz1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Basic point. Bullshit! A guy driving the truck as a spotter? Come on. BS surely. It took Furlong 3 shots with a much more capable weapon and a trained spotter. You know what, I may be wrong, miracles do happen. If its true( I wasn't there) damn good shootin'. </div></div>

It may be of interest but 'drivers' in an Armoured Reconnaissance Regiment will have some experience of gunnery using the 30mm. Corrections will be second nature to these guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...my friend's Cobra went 217 mph on the GPS... </div></div>

But when it stopped we could range it with the vector IV.
grin.gif