• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Building a Spray Booth

yourshoesareuntied

Private
Minuteman
May 13, 2009
I’m in my idea stage of building a spray booth; if anyone has done this and can give some lessons learned it would be great.

The foot print will be about 4’ wide 30”deep 80” tall, open front
Constructed with 2x4’s and recycled paneling from a local church remodel.

I’m looking at using a 8” in-line fan rated at 500CFM
I don’t want to run an 8” hose across the shop, and then cut a 8” hole on the side of my house so I am going to taper it down to 4” I think this will cause a venturi effect but it may not be to my advantage. Right now I am planning on using a 8”diameter register box 14x6 attached to the booth (will come up with a way to attach a cheap .99 cent modified HVAC filter after the booth is built) then attach the in-line fan, then the reducers, then the 4” duct and finely a out vent with baffles to keep critters out.

Re: Building a Spray Booth

I was just looking at some other spray booths, I may not make it as wide as 4' may do 2.5' wide, this will help the overall performance of the booth.

Well I got most of the booth built last night, I don't have the components that will pull the air out yet. I will post some photo's and final measurements later today.

I'm planning on building one I can collapse against the wall. I have an 8" exhaust fan in the wall of my garage. The plan is mount a 24" piece of 3/4 PVC pipe to the wall just above the fan at seven ft. using 1 1/4" wall clamps, so it will swivel. Elbow two 4' pieces of PVC away from the wall and at the other end two elbows and tees, so I can slip two seven ft pieces of PVC up into the tees for legs at the entry. Then cover it, the floor and wall with 3.5 mil clear plastic drop cloth. When finished spraying, pull the two front legs out of the tees and let it fall down against the wall out of the way. Hope all that makes since. I'll post pics of the construction.

Sorry I don't have pics up yet, one thing is for sure don't use a 8" fan and taper down to 4" it lowered the performance a lot. I think the inline fan will work fine I just have to keep the 8" line all the way out. I will get some details out soon and pictures. Saturday evening at the latest.

Here are the pics of my paint booth. I've not sprayed cerakote in it yet but, a can of krylon and a box of corn starch powder passed the "fan test". I hope to spray in it this weekend.
frame.jpg

frame2.jpg

frame3.jpg

frame6.jpg

frame6.jpg

frame5.jpg

frame4.jpg

here are the photos ,
the booth is 25" x 30" & 44" tall
I don't have the out vent figured out yet.
2011-04-03160817_267x200.jpg

2011-04-03160806_267x200.jpg

2011-04-03160735_267x200.jpg

I have also come to the conclusion that a dedicated spray booth is necessary. Lighting is a big issue. It is important with Cerakote to be able to see the application really well. However I set it up, the inside of the booth will be white to reflect the light. I guess it's off to the big box store to figure this out.

the light I have next to the booth is a standard 4' shop light I rigged up to a old shop light tripod. I used it when I was spraying out in the open space of my shop. As for my booth I wish I made it a few inches taller so a standard shop light could be mounted to each side wall. Now I will have to figure out another option.
2011-04-03160836_267x200.jpg

I just had a idea I thought I would put here for myself to remember later. A rotating hanger... maybe a large round plate on the front top and a smaller plate in the center and a belt to connect the two. Manually/hand operated.

I was thinking the same thing (allowing the part to rotate). Away from anything the workpiece can touch. It sucks to have to re-do it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The American</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just had a idea I thought I would put here for myself to remember later. A rotating hanger... maybe a large round plate on the front top and a smaller plate in the center and a belt to connect the two. Manually/hand operated. </div></div>

I drilled three holes in my center cross pipe and ran some pieces of coat hanger through them and bent a hook on bottom and top. Then I took three HD swivels that I use on trot lines, and put a piece of nylon string on one end to hang my parts hooks in. The other end of the swivel hooks on the coat hanger hooks coming out of the cross pipe. Lets me spin the parts real easy like.

To answer your other question, I'm not sure of the cfm fan I have, the previous home owner had it installed so he could smoke and work on cars in the garage.

Why on earth do you need a spray booth?

I shoot flawless auto paint all the time in my shop. One of the best painters I know (accura and lexus bring their stuff to this guy to paint) never shoots in a booth. A booth is a waste of money. Furthermore, why would you want to suck all that nice dirty air over a freshly painted part. A paint booth filters the air on the way in, and on the way out. Clean your shop if you are that worried about it, wet the floor to keep the dust down. I'll put my paint next to anyone's and I never shoot in a booth.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The American</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I’m in my idea stage of building a spray booth; if anyone has done this and can give some lessons learned it would be great.

The foot print will be about 4’ wide 30”deep 80” tall, open front
Constructed with 2x4’s and recycled paneling from a local church remodel.

I’m looking at using a 8” in-line fan rated at 500CFM
I don’t want to run an 8” hose across the shop, and then cut a 8” hole on the side of my house so I am going to taper it down to 4” I think this will cause a venturi effect but it may not be to my advantage. Right now I am planning on using a 8”diameter register box 14x6 attached to the booth (will come up with a way to attach a cheap .99 cent modified HVAC filter after the booth is built) then attach the in-line fan, then the reducers, then the 4” duct and finely a out vent with baffles to keep critters out.
</div></div> So where will you be attaching the vents? It has been proven that a "downstream" setup or setup with extraction vents next to floor work the best. Otherwise, you get lingering chemicals dirt, and overspray. Just make sure you get the proper filters in place on the inlet.

Booths were a necessity back in the days of High Pressure guns. Everything in the shop got painted back then, even things you covered. HVLP has negated the need for a booth.

My .02 on Lauer, BTW. It's a rip-off. Add it up. Do the math. If you were to buy a gallon of Lauer, it would cost $500. The best paint in the world is under $200 a gallon. No paint is worth $500 a gallon. Period.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: himaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Booths were a necessity back in the days of High Pressure guns. Everything in the shop got painted back then, even things you covered. HVLP has negated the need for a booth.

My .02 on Lauer, BTW. It's a rip-off. Add it up. Do the math. If you were to buy a gallon of Lauer, it would cost $500. The best paint in the world is under $200 a gallon. No paint is worth $500 a gallon. Period. </div></div>

It is expensive, but they get plenty of people to buy it

? don't think it's going to work, as the paint over spray will dry on the plastic and when you fold it around it will flake, next thing you know bits of flake will fall off onto your freshly painted parts.

Trying to keep the fumes down I have wife a single car garage and a small house. I don't like opening my garage door when I'm working on firearms. I don't like advertising that I have them.

I don't have much invested in this the paneling was taken out of a dumpster, 15.00 in 2x4s 30.00 for the fan, and the ducting bits puts it just under 70.00

After working inside a paint clean room for 12 yrs I will tell you this. Be extremely careful using an electric fan to pull paint vapors out, a plenum fire ain't pretty. I would think of using a positive pressure system with an exhaust ducting system. Just my two cents.

Thank you for the info, So I will have to move the vent down to the floor of the booth? I'm assuming when you say the floor you mean the floor of the inclosure.

one more post, sorry. Harbor Freight has a 8" ventilation fan that moves around 1500 CFM for less then 80.00 add the 20% off coupon and I can move some air for little impact on the bank.

One thought if I move too much air I may invite more dust as one of the other post alluded to. Is this a less is more thing? Is 1500 CFM over doing it?