• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Cartridge Opinions

jakeanthsmith

Private
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2018
I picked up a grenade Ultra Lite MPA chassis for a short action Remington 700. Want to make this into a fun hunting rifle that will be effective on elk on moderate distances (500-600 yards). I already own few hunting rifles that can do the job, just looking to tinker with an action that I have sitting around. So far I have come up with a 300 WSM or a 7mm SAUM for some options. Anyone here have any other suggestions or calibers that I should look into? Criteria needs it to be a short action caliber and be able to buy brass for it. Will be either doing a CarbonSix barrel or a Bartlein from NSS.

Sherman ones are good but harder to source components/more expensive and brass prep. The saum would be good the wsm might be pushing the length of the mag box. Once 6.5prc brass is available from lapua that would be a good candidate (or even 25 prc). Personally the 7 ss/sst/saum is probably best just for life of barrel but then again the others would be easier for recoil in a lighter rifle.

Sherman ones are good but harder to source components/more expensive and brass prep. The saum would be good the wsm might be pushing the length of the mag box. Once 6.5prc brass is available from lapua that would be a good candidate (or even 25 prc). Personally the 7 ss/sst/saum is probably best just for life of barrel but then again the others would be easier for recoil in a lighter rifle.
I just got a 6.5 PRC over the fall. Excellent cartridge and I lucked out into 100 ADG brass and 100 Hornady brass. The 300 might be pushing it, but I would probably only load 180-190's in it. Not sure if they get too long, I would have to look into it. Havent read much into the shermans, any one in particular that you have had experience with?

You nailed it. I have a 6.5 prc too and love it, but I'd rather have the 7saum or 300wsm for elk at 600.

The 7 sherman short looks about perfect on paper in a short action if you reload and don't mind fire forming your brass.

https://shermanwildcatcartridges.com/7-ss
Same.
Nice thing about 300WSM is a decent factory ammo selection.
7 saum with 168-180 has impressive ballistics and they fit the short action well especially 168-175’s.

You can but ready to go 7SS brass.

Same.
Nice thing about 300WSM is a decent factory ammo selection.
7 saum with 168-180 has impressive ballistics and they fit the short action well especially 168-175’s.

You can but ready to go 7SS brass.

I looked into that before I built the PRC. At the time ADG headstamped brass was available but I think you still needed to blow out the shoulder. It was also like $2.50 a pop and I think the only dies available were around $250 from whidden if memory serves me correctly.

I would love to see that cartridge take off.

I looked into that before I built the PRC. At the time ADG headstamped brass was available but I think you still needed to blow out the shoulder. It was also like $2.50 a pop and I think the only dies available were around $250 from whidden if memory serves me correctly.

I would love to see that cartridge take off.