• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Colorado: Places to Shoot, People to Shoot With

Re: Colorado: Places to Shoot, People to Shoot With

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COfox</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: want2Baccurate</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone know of a good place near the Springs, or at least a cheap place near the springs that allows you to shoot past 200 yards? </div></div>

Not sure what your definition of "near" is, but the DOW range south of Buena Vista is cheap (free) and has steel out to 1,000+ yards.

dowfromCS.jpg

Depending on where you are in CS, it's about 100 miles. I drive 135 to get there and it's always a fun place to shoot. </div></div>

I would really like to get out to that range sometime, as I hear a lot of good things about it. I was wondering if you knew of anything within a 50 mile radius of the Springs? I live as far west as you can without getting caught up in the Waldo Canyon fire.

Yep the Buena Vista Range is very nice and always has been since it was constructed. One of the best bipartsen works I have ever seen with the DOW. Hell even the outhouse is clean, it is one of the best ranges I have ever seen that is a public range. Well laid out and a ton of free steel to shoot at and the place is free of shooting trash that shooters always seem to want to leave behind. But sometimes you just have to get a little bit further in a sterile enviroment where you have to work for the shot.

600 to 1000yds
IMAG0038.jpg

1600yds plus
IMAG0040.jpg

Itty Bitty Steel Plates
IMAG0039.jpg

Nothing like setting up the targets and then driving to your hiking point, Then hiking your gear all the way up to the top of the bookcliff getting set up and then a thunderstorm rolls in out of New Mexico and then you have to pack up your precision lighting rod and gear and hike back down before you can get a shot off. Now if I only had a sherpa and a valet to deliver my truck and help pack up the steel and gear.

Yep valet parking.
IMAG0042.jpg

Anybody going to the shoot in Rifle, CO? Its just an hour from junction, and if anyone wants to carpool from there, let me know. Usually leave around 7 ish.

From the match director:

Precision Rifle Division
The next precision match will be this sat sept. 1st. Not sure of the match yet but I will figure out something. Bring the usual gear and plenty of ammo. One addition to the gear is shooting sticks we might use them. Cost of the match is 20 dollars sign up at 8:30 shooting starts at 9 A.M.
Another note long range practice this thursday. See you then.

If anybody interested in contacting the match director, pm me. They always have great shoots here. Last time I went, we played Golf (Least number of shots to hit target ie lowest score, wins. If you cant hit target in 6 shots, you get a 10 on that "hole")
very fun. Targets ranged from Golf ball at 200 yds, baseball at 400, softball at 500, balloons on strings at 600 and steel all over the place. very challenging and fun match.

Regards,
DT

Looking to meet some fellow shooters in the Colorado Springs area and to find a place to shoot. I'm not having much luck with PWSA or Frontier due to long wait lists. I'd like to make a weekend trip out to the Buena Vista range and maybe camp out a night or two to make the drive worth it, if anyone is interested.

I'm also looking for fellow DoD personnel or dependents who would be interested in shooting at Fort Carson. I have a range safety card there and I can sign for Range 1 from Range Control so long as I have at least one other DoD ID card holder (active military, retired, DoD civilian, or dependent) present on the range. Unfortunately, civilians are not allowed on the Fort Carson range.

Chris

The drive from the Springs is not that long just head up through Woodland Park and head towards Cripple Creek and intersect 285 to drop you into Johnsons Village. Once in Johnsons Village you are only 15 minutes from the Buene range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: csnell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking to meet some fellow shooters in the Colorado Springs area and to find a place to shoot. I'm not having much luck with PWSA or Frontier due to long wait lists. I'd like to make a weekend trip out to the Buena Vista range and maybe camp out a night or two to make the drive worth it, if anyone is interested.

I'm also looking for fellow DoD personnel or dependents who would be interested in shooting at Fort Carson. I have a range safety card there and I can sign for Range 1 from Range Control so long as I have at least one other DoD ID card holder (active military, retired, DoD civilian, or dependent) present on the range. Unfortunately, civilians are not allowed on the Fort Carson range.

Chris </div></div>

PM sent.

Guys

We have two classes happening this month at Trigger Time Gun Club in Longmont.

The first class is full, but we have 8 slots available in the second class on September 22nd & 23rd.

Two day class taking place on a Saturday and Sunday.

Day One is mainly classroom. We have a full day presentation on the Basic Precision Rifle, you'll shoot at Trigger Time's indoor 100 yard range. We will also chronograph your rifle and be on hand to make you a basic data card using the information from the chronograph so you can bring out to the range on Sunday.

Sunday will consist of shooting all day. We have targets out to distance and depending on the ability of the class overall will depend on how far you can shoot.

The goal is to example and work the fundamentals of marksmanship, identifying any issue that the shooter needs to work on and then give them practical application shots out to distance. We also have a BBQ on site on Sunday so food is provided.

Contact Zach or Paul at Trigger Time Gun Club for details, and to get in on the class. We started holding these monthly so if you can't make this one, look for them moving forward.

http://www.triggertimegunclub.com

The Club is in Longmont, the Range is East on 76 by Orchard / Weldona.

Sounds like a good deal with Triggertime.

Before the white stuff hits anyone want to do a group trip to Chaffee? The last time I was there they had added more shooting benches for the rifle portion. Along with extending the overhead canopy. So you not cooking as your shooting in the prone position.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: majohnson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like a good deal with Triggertime.

Before the white stuff hits anyone want to do a group trip to Chaffee? The last time I was there they had added more shooting benches for the rifle portion. Along with extending the overhead canopy. So you not cooking as your shooting in the prone position.

</div></div>
I'd be willing to make a day trip out there. I got a bull AR for prairie dogs earlier this year, haven't tried out very far yet. Had to change plans, missed the last get together out there this spring. Name the day man!

Come on guys! I'll bring out my chrono, for those that need to check there loads FPS.

Maybe we can even work out a pool for long shot, most number of hits.

Or, share your ideas??

I'm a fairly new transplant to the area and am always interested in pulling triggers. I'm out of Thornton, but don't mind driving a bit for a good range day... especially if steel is involved.

-Sean

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sales@MileHigh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm a fairly new transplant to the area and am always interested in pulling triggers. I'm out of Thornton, but don't mind driving a bit for a good range day... especially if steel is involved.

-Sean</div></div>

Check out this monthly match. Lots of steel and you'll get to meet lots of great local shooters.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2482083

Sam

FYI Guys.

We had another Long Range Rifle Class at Trigger Time Gun Club in Longmont this past weekend. Awesome time with targets beyond 1000 yards.

Full house again as we limit the classes to 8-10 students.
TTGC.jpg

These guys got the full experience with more than 50 pieces of steel out to distance as well we had crazy conditions, winds went from a calm 6 MPH to 16 MPH, then back to 6 MPH across the hours of the day. Still hits were plentiful. In fact some guys put as many as 200 rounds downrange.

We have about 3 slots left for the class next weekend, as these are small monthly classes, Saturday and Sunday. So contact Trigger Time if you are interested.

Really great shooting out there, as it stands, to take advantage of some of the alumni shooting that will be happening, you have to attend the class.

I am in for the October 20-21 class. Excited to go!

Not from Colorado but my uncles place is only 3 miles from Trigger Time,
just curious if that range is real busy on the weekends, I will be out to Firestone over thanksgiving and would like to visit the club. I need to make time for a class, sounds like fun time. Thanks guys

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wilsey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not from Colorado but my uncles place is only 3 miles from Trigger Time,
just curious if that range is real busy on the weekends, I will be out to Firestone over thanksgiving and would like to visit the club. I need to make time for a class, sounds like fun time. Thanks guys </div></div>

wilsey,

Trigger Time is a members only range. They do have a very nice retail showroom open to the public. This public range is not far from your uncles. http://www.greatgunssporting.com/

Does anybody on here shoot USPSA or 3-gun? I'm thinking of heading to the Weld County USPSA match this weekend and possibly 3-gun the next weekend if Zak's replacement MD is still good to go.

-Sean

Thanks KevinU for the heads up and info.
It would be great to make a 3 day weekend trip that way for a class Lowlight has mentioned. We will have to see. Thanks again guys

Not sure if this has been posted yet her on the Hide or not but...
grin.gif

<span style="color: #000099"><span style="font-weight: bold">LARGEST PUBLIC SHOOTING RANGE IN COLORADO OPENS AT FORT CARSON</span></span>

FORT CARSON, Colo. – The Cheyenne Mountain Shooting Complex opens to the
public Jan 23 at 1:30 p.m. The public opening will be proceeded by an
invitation only" ribbon-shooting” ceremony at 11 a.m.

The shooting complex, which is the largest outdoor shooting range in the
State of Colorado, is a joint project between Fort Carson, El Paso
County, the U.S. Forest Service and Colorado Parks and Wildlife.

Shooters can use the range free of charge from 1:30 - 4 p.m. on Jan. 23.
Rates for a daily pass are $10 after that.

The 400-acre site is located on Fort Carson land near Interstate 25 just
off mile marker 132. The entrance is just outside Fort Carson’s Gate 20
security perimeter. Because the entrance to the shooting range is
outside Gate 20, visitors will not have to enter the military base or
register their weapons with Fort Carson to utilize the range.

The opening marks the completion of the first of a three-phase
construction plan. The complex currently consists of seven shooting
ranges with approximately 120 covered shooting positions. Three ranges
are designated for rifles with distances from 300 to 500 yards. There
are also four designated pistol ranges and one multi-position range
prioritized for law enforcement and public safety training purposes.

A small archery range will also be on site with plans to expand it as
funding becomes available and a five-stand trap range is expected to be
available in the spring for shotgun enthusiasts.

The second phase of the project will include the construction of five
skeet & trap ranges and a clubhouse. The clubhouse will in­clude a
retail store, classrooms and offices.

El Paso County has established a nonprofit organization called the
Soldier’s Friend Foundation to raise funds for the next two phases of
the complex. A web site under construction will allow for donations to
help fund the two additional phases of the project.

One 1,250-yard-long shooting range will be for the exclusive use of law
enforcement, Monday through Friday, but open to the public on weekends.

The range complex will be staffed by military and civilian personnel.
Profits from the range will be used to fund the Fort Carson FMWR
program, which supports Soldiers and their Families.

For directions and hours of operation, call 719-896-6196 or go to:
http://www.elpasoco.com/CMSC/Pages/default.aspx
<http://www.elpasoco.com/CMSC/Pages/default.aspx> .

Thank you COfox. I had heard they were trying to open a range near gate 20 but didn't know if it was going to go through. This is excellent news for shooters near the springs. My new build should be done in a few weeks and I'd love to take it out to the new range. The 1250 will be fantastic once I learn to shoot that far
smile.gif

No problem. My build will be done early March. Maybe we can organize a SH shoot down there this spring.

That would be fantastic. The spring would be ideal because it should give me a little trigger time behind my new rig and the weather should improve, although it could dip into the 60's this next week according to weather forecasts which should be taken with a grain of salt her in CO
smile.gif

I really like the idea of this range, a joint effort between, military, LE and the surrounding community, I'd really like to see this succeed and I would absolutely love to see some competitions coming to this range!

The range down at Fort Carson looks awesome.

Has anybody recently been up to the Chaffee County Landfill range? Haven't called the number listed on CDOW yet, just curious to see what the conditions are from first-hand reports.
Thanks

Looking to meet fellow shooters on western slope and find places to shoot, just moved back to state after 30year absence, work out of state still so time is limited

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbrand</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking to meet fellow shooters on western slope and find places to shoot, just moved back to state after 30year absence, work out of state still so time is limited </div></div>

Just head out 27 1/4 rd. There is a range out there. There is a range in Rifle too. Let me know if you need more info.

For those on the western slope, the range in rifle (www.riflegunclub.com) shoots long range precision on the first saturday of each month, a 3gun match second saturday and action pistol the third saturday. You can get more info off the website, please call if you are coming as there is a limit to each shoot. All the shoots are low key, and a good time. Hope to see you there. If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

Hey there all, moved to Weld county in August and have been focusing on the move and new job, but now am wanting to get back out and get shooting. I was wondering where a good range is, I live in Johnstown but would drive and hour or so to get some shooting in. I would like to join a club, mostly because I like to shoot trap, rifle and pistol. I am new to the long range aspect but that is my new interest so would like to have 1000 yard targets if possible. I have tried Great Guns range and its nice but I would like a longer range if possible. Thanks

Welcome Badger300wm, I used to live in Weld County and I can tell you that the only range I know of out there that has 1000 yards is in Byers, CO and is called Colorado Rifle Club. They often have long range competitions and are just shy of 90 minutes from you. There is also Trigger Time down in Longmont. Inquire with them about their Long Range Class.

If anyone works in Downtown Denver or can get downtown today please try to go to the St Captitol and voice your oppistion to the current round of Democrat introduced gun laws.

Beginning early on Tuesday morning, stretching late into the evening and then all day Wednesday, state legislators on the House Judiciary, Education and Finance Committees heard four anti-gun bills that would severely restrict your Right to Keep and Bear Arms in Colorado:

House Bill 1224 – Bans magazines with a capacity greater than fifteen rounds.

House Bill 1226 – Repeals current law allowing individuals with a concealed carry permit to carry a firearm for self-defense on a college or university campus.

House Bill 1228 – Imposes a “gun tax” for a background check when purchasing a firearm.

House Bill 1229 – Criminalizes the private transfer of a firearm.

Over the course of both days, with more than 18 hours of testimony being heard, hundreds of gun rights supporters packed the Old Supreme Court Chambers in the state Capitol to voice their opposition to these misguided bills. The dedication by these ardent supporters of the Second Amendment to take time away from their jobs on weekdays and stand in unified opposition, on such short notice, is a testament to the strength of support for gun rights in the Centennial State.

Dismissing the opposition of hundreds of Colorado residents at these hearings, anti-gun legislators in all three House committees voted along party lines to push through their approach at legislating away your constitutional Right to Keep and Bear Arms. With their justification for passage merely nothing more than an emotional argument at its best, these rights-infringing zealots are moving with lightning speed to put these bills on the House floor by this Friday for a second reading by the entire legislative chamber.

WE NEED YOU to stand united in this monumental fight and COME TO THE HOUSE GALLERY on Friday, February 15th to hold your state Representative accountable by making sure they vote NO on these restrictive bills.

Session will convene at 9:00 a.m. on Friday. Please make plans to arrive no later than 8:30 a.m. to ensure a seat. If you are unable to attend session, please call AND e-mail your state Representative using the contact information provided here.

The NRA thanks you for your dedication to this cause so far. We cannot win this fight without your help. Please stay tuned to www.nraila.org for further updates and information.

There is a good thread on this in the 2nd Amendment section with good contact info for state reps.

Cool. I work downtown so I am going to head over there now and see what is going on. I will post if I discover anything signifigant..

I know most don't like to give up their "secret" shooting spot, but I'm wondering if anyone could share with me if they know of a place to shoot at least to 500 yds in the Front Range area foothills? I live just north of Black Hawk and every damn range is 100+ miles from me. I have scoured the hills in Gilpin county and can't come up with anything. Either it's covered with trees, private property, or there are houses everywhere. I've come up short.

I peruse Google maps first, then try to drive out and look. So far I've had no luck. I'm interested in areas now down sw of Evergreen such as Upper Bear Creek Road. Anyone know of anything in that area? I'm tired of driving 200 miles round trip to shoot! PM me if you don't want to advertise it to the world. Much appreciated!

GIVE MEA CALL 720-530-1297 OR SEND AN EMAIL [email protected]. I live in Aurora and am looking for places to shoot and people who can help me set up my
Savage FCP HS Precision .338 Lapua.
Rock aka Spookygunner

Colorado Springs area

If anyone wants to go shooting this weekend I going on Saturday to the Cheyenne mountain shooting complex to zero my new ACOG. This is my first time going there to shoot so it will all be new to me. If you want to go as well just send me a message.

Just posted this in the ELR forum as well: Anybody have a weekday free and feel like heading out to Pawnee? Weather is starting to get real friendly this time of year. I've got some Ar500 steel but its only 9"x12". Would be great to meet some of you guys and have some company out there. Please feel free to drop me a PM or whatever. My schedule is pretty flexible. Lets get out and shoot!

regards,

ScottyD

I am going there this Saturday to zero my new ACOG on my M1A. If anyone would want to link up that would be cool. It'd be nice to have someone else there to shoot the shit with other than my girlfriend. And maybe even give me some tips on shooting long range. As the whole time I was in the military and in Iraq my unit didn't feel the need to issue us any kind of optics for our weapons.

Damn my newness. This is in reply to COFox

Last edited:
Didn't catch this in time, sorry. I wasn't able to shoot this weekend anyway. We should try to organize a trip to Chafee county's range (DOW range) sometime in late April or early May. I'll be traveling for work a lot over the next few weeks and won't be able to get out....I don't think anyway.

For those that've been to the new range at Ft. Carson, how was it? Should we try to organize a trip down there? I like the DOW range because it's free and there is a ton of steel.

Has anyone gone out the Pawnee Grasslands this spring? How is it holding up to the snow and rain?

I've been out a couple times. I thought I would be slick and get out there after the snow melt in my work vehicle ( a Ford Escape) and got stuck. Luckily some guy and his girlfriend happened to stop by and we got it out. Man I would have been suckin. Went out that weekend with my Jeep 4x4 and was still a little slick. This was about two weeks ago.

I would not try without a 4x4 until the rain stops. The mud is the worst right at the gate into the long range section.

How tall is the grass these days? Can you still shoot from a prone position at certain spots?

Is the DOW range in Buena Vista still open to the public? Thinking of trying it out this week.

Here is another shooter in Colorado Springs. I am active duty at Fort Carson. Just getting back into shooting and reloading. Doing most of my preliminary work at the new Fort Carson. If anyone is frequenting the shooting complex just outside Gate 20 and wants to get together please feel free to PM me.

I am also interested in that monthly shooting workshop I read about in earlier posts.

Tony

hey guys I am in the Thornton area and working at the Longmont recruiting station..hit me up if anyone wants to go out and shoot!

just an fyi I went out to Pawnee Sportsman club today and they have a 1000yd range with steel from 400-1000 well set up range with rows of steel at each known distance. Kinda hard to see splash due to tall grass and lack of dirt but it was not bad. 20 bucks for the day and i had the range all to myself. ps the range is not on the website but its there

enjoy

Home Page

i am new to the area and do not really know how to give directions. my gps took me right to it, its north of denver by ft collins...took me about 1hr from thornton

What size steel do they have at the 600 and further distances?

Can you shoot prone?

Thanks - Todd