• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Custom rifle makers and customer service

SIGTWO

Private
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2009
Blue Ridge Parkway NC/Raleigh nc
To start off this post is not directed at any one maker of custom rifles or firearms. Over the last year I have compiled the parts needed to start a custom rifle build barrel,stock, action and trigger etc. I made my list of custom rifle makers and there websites. This morning I statrted to contact several. If a perspective buyer customer or agency contacts you willing to spend several thousand dollars to purchase a tool/rifle for shooting take the time to anwser the questions. As a customer I realize time is money and time not working on other customers needs is time lost. But if as a customer firearm maker you are 10 to 18 months behind in orders in my book you can afford to pay someone to pick up the phone. Looking at several website this morning none posted the time they were behined on production. So when the customer ask how long on average its taking your shop from time of order to ship date don't get a case of " YOU WILL GET IT WHEN WE GET ITS DONE OR IF THATS NOT FAST ENOUGH IM NOT YOUR MAN".

Spending 3 to 6 thousand dollars on a custom rifle gives the customer the right to ask questions to a point. As with any bussiness the custom gun makers have alot of repeat buyers. If you as custom rifle makers or builders have become so arrogant or your ego is so inflated to the point no one can do it as good as I can than your wrong. There are many quality new up starts waiting in the wings to make a name for there selfs just remeber that. This post in no way states that I'm not willing to wait my turn or do not have the patience to wait for a custom weapon. If this post offends then so be it. Also if I wanted a foreign high dollar mass produced weapon and not a "AMERICAN MADE" one I would already have it. Just stating what this consumer encountered from some of the so called back logged quality manufacters on this site without naming them. "JUST SAYING WHAT NO ONE ELSE WILL"

IF YOU AS A CUSTOM RIFLE BUILDER HAVE A LONG LAG TIME BETWEEN ORDER DATE AND SHIP DATE. DO YOUR CUSTOMERS A FAVOR PUT IT ON YOUR WEB PAGE OR POST IT TO A CREDIABLE FIREARM BLOG SITE
Thanks.....

Re: Custom rifle makers and customer service

Customer service goes a long way but remember this, once you've been doing this for a while and know who the top builders are, you realize that you send your parts in and wait your turn.

If you want to get all cozy with a builder and hold hands go local. At least you can show up and check on their work.

I'd rather wait for quality.

However, if a builder quotes you 8 weeks and you haven't heard anything by week 16, then a call is warranted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SIGTWO</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> To start off this post is not directed at any one maker of custom rifles or firearms. Over the last year I have compiled the parts needed to start a custom rifle build barrel,stock, action and trigger etc. I made my list of custom rifle makers and there websites. This morning I statrted to contact several. If a perspective buyer customer or agency contacts you willing to spend several thousand dollars to purchase a tool/rifle for shooting take the time to anwser the questions. As a customer I realize time is money and time not working on other customers needs is time lost. But if as a customer firearm maker you are 10 to 18 months behind in orders in my book you can afford to pay someone to pick up the phone. Looking at several website this morning none posted the time they were behined on production. So when the customer ask how long on average its taking your shop from time of order to ship date don't get a case of " YOU WILL GET IT WHEN WE GET ITS DONE OR IF THATS NOT FAST ENOUGH IM NOT YOUR MAN".

Spending 3 to 6 thousand dollars on a custom rifle gives the customer the right to ask questions to a point. As with any bussiness the custom gun makers have alot of repeat buyers. If you as custom rifle makers or builders have become so arrogant or your ego is so inflated to the point no one can do it as good as I can than your wrong. There are many new up starts waiting in the wings to make a name for there selfs just remeber that.

IF YOU AS A CUSTOM RIFLE BUILDER HAVE A LONG LAG TIME BETWEEN ORDER DATE AND SHIP DATE. DO YOUR CUSTOMERS A FAVOR PUT IT ON YOUR WEB PAGE OR POST IT TO A CREDIABLE FIREARM BLOG SITE
Thanks..... </div></div>

If this does not work.....AIAW, AIAX, TRG....take your pick.

If you want a custom rig....time and wait is part of the gig.

you want a "black hole of information"....try waiting for a can......

There are some great custom rifles builders out there that have built good reputations and have websites to go to. There are plenty of gunsmiths out there that build great rifles and while they may not have the national level reputation or a website they still produce top notch products. I have a gunsmith in my area that builds great rifles and has a reputation that is not on a national or internet level, he doesn't have a website and isn't even all that computer savy. He does have a wait time but it has typically only been a few months and this is mainly because he is a one man show and has other work and some retail business.

I would suggest asking around in your area or checking forums local to your area to see if there is a smith that does quality work and may not have the huge wait period. Remember though that anyone that typically does quality work is going to have some amount of wait time.

^^^^^This.
Plus this:
I know someone within 150 miles of you that is building some absolutely fantastic tactical rigs. He has no website, a backlog, and no patience for impatience. Given your attitude already, I am inclined to believe you may have a bit of an ego yourself. You aren't the first person to spend $6K on a rig, and you won't be the last.

"OBVIOUSLY" my post has been misunderstood. I have $6000.00 DOLLARS WITH MY PARTS reasons to ask questions. When I called several of the "QUALITY CUSTOM GUN MAKERS ON THE HIDE" and asked that simple question AFTER CONVERSATION ABOUT THE BUILD. What is your lead time from order to delievery?I got everything from we can't get stocks to no barrel blanks to you name "IT" to "ATTITUDED". Simple question with a simple anwser. 8 month to how ever long. My response thank you for your time appreciate the help and info. No "EGO" here read my post thourghly.I Have several custom guns and waited two years for one of them because builder had cancer and could not complete it. .

A good example of customer service is LARUE TACTICAL IN TEXAS. Placed an order in September 2011 of last year was told 8 weeks delievery time guess what. Got it in 8 weeks . Just as ordered. No excuses why it will take 8weeks or we dont have this or that. JUST STRAIGHT UP CUSTOMER SERVICE 8 WEEKS YOU HAVE YOUR WEAPON. I Know I could email call them up right now and ask lead time on a purchase with no problem. THE WORD CAN'T IS NOT IN THERE VOCAB OR I'M BEHIND IS NOT AN OPTION!!!

Just calling it like it is.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SIGTWO</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> "OBVIOUSLY" my post has been misunderstood. I have $6000.00 DOLLARS WITH MY PARTS reasons to ask questions. When I called several of the "QUALITY CUSTOM GUN MAKERS ON THE HIDE" and asked that simple question AFTER CONVERSATION ABOUT THE BUILD. What is your lead time from order to delievery?I got everything from we can't get stocks to no barrel blanks to you name "IT" to "ATTITUDED". Simple question with a simple anwser. 8 month to how ever long. My response thank you for your time appreciate the help and info. No "EGO" here read my post thourghly.I Have several custom guns and waited two years for one of them because builder had cancer and could not complete it. .

A good example of customer service is LARUE TACTICAL IN TEXAS. Placed an order in September 2011 of last year was told 8 weeks delievery time guess what. Got it in 8 weeks . Just as ordered. No excuses why it will take 8weeks or we dont have this or that. JUST STRAIGHT UP CUSTOMER SERVICE 8 WEEKS YOU HAVE YOUR WEAPON. I Know I could email call them up right now and ask lead time on a purchase with no problem. THE WORD CAN'T IS NOT IN THERE VOCAB OR I'M BEHIND IS NOT AN OPTION!!!

Just calling it like it is....... </div></div>

SIGTWO,
I have used 4 different gunsmiths in the last 15 years. All did great work but finding one who quoted an honest lead time took a while. Once was quoted 6 weeks for a bedding job, got it back 9 months later. Not one call or email the entire time. The work was fantastic but come on how could you possibly be that far off on your own lead times. I don't mind waiting for the job to be done properly but just be honest.
Sometimes I wonder if gunsmith's are worried that a long lead time translates into loosing work,maybe, but don't lie about your schedule just to get the job in the door. My favorite gunsmith has very reasonable turnaround times, his work is exceptional, and his prices are fair. Communication is great and that is one area I think many business owners can improve.

Call this number- 678-219-0096
Ask for Mark.

You won't be disappointed.

Try getting customer service from the boating community!! (it's probably the worst)

I do agree that as a paying customer lead times should be close to the quoted time frame- and if not (I realize turn times change) then a call or email IS warranted by the gun builder/dealer in a timely manner. It should be this way in every business.

I have no problem waiting my turn for a custom build. But if you quote me 8 months it better be done in 8 months. In my line of work everyday I am past the deadline it cost me 1000 dollars a day. If gunsmiths were forced to have a similar policy they would get builds finished in the quoted time.

I am sick to death of gunsmiths and now either build it myself or buy factory stuff.

If you have access to a range that shoots Benchrest, It is worth a trip to a match to ask some questions. What I have found is there is probably one of them that is doing a bunch of work for the rest of they guys locally. They got tired of the same thing you describe and one started doing it them selves.

Just in my area I have found three gunsmiths that do top quality work and the lead time is around three weeks when you have the parts. They are selective in the work they choose to do, so a referral from one of their current customer goes a long way!

For instances, I dropped of a barrel at one of my go to guys on Monday and had it back on Wednesday! I two got frustrated and did some research locally. You will not get the resale out of it if it built buy the local guy but that's the price you pay.

Heck a nonamed gunsmith in a little town that no one ever heard of built the 1000 yrd national champions benchrest rifle. I guarnetee no knows the gunsmith that built it!

Look around you may be surprised what's in your back yard.

I understand and share the frustration of having to wait but I learned long ago. Have it my way and perfect and double what the smith tells me for time or have it off the shelf and wish I had it my way.

These days guys have to wait and wait for parts to get jobs finished. It is rampant in gun industry. To give you an example I have a ton of slings waiting for Fastex Buckles because they where back ordered when I placed order over two months ago. This caused guys to get pissed at me for low/no stock.

Now add when a smith sends out a rifle to a finishing shop that quotes two weeks and then takes six months. A stock manufacture who sends it when they finish it six months later and a barrel manufacture who cant get steel. It all adds up.

In contrast I would like to thank GA Precision for taking most of my parts and just sitting on them for me because I had unexpected money problems. Now that things have worked out they have put me back in the que.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SIGTWO</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> "OBVIOUSLY" my post has been misunderstood. I have $6000.00 DOLLARS WITH MY PARTS reasons to ask questions. When I called several of the "QUALITY CUSTOM GUN MAKERS ON THE HIDE" and asked that simple question AFTER CONVERSATION ABOUT THE BUILD. What is your lead time from order to delievery?I got everything from we can't get stocks to no barrel blanks to you name "IT" to "ATTITUDED". Simple question with a simple anwser. 8 month to how ever long. My response thank you for your time appreciate the help and info. No "EGO" here read my post thourghly.I Have several custom guns and waited two years for one of them because builder had cancer and could not complete it. .

Just calling it like it is....... </div></div>

Dear,

I was in LaRue's first run of the OBR and I ASSURE you there were plenty of reasons why I did not get one when promised. Just my experience, YMMV