• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Did I choose the right reticle? S&B PMII MSR

Meyer1784

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2017
I just purchased my first Schmidt and Bender PMII (long time dream) I was torn between the MSR & the H2CMR reticle. I ended up choosing the MSR being a little cheaper than the H2Cmr. I’m just hoping I don’t regret my decision just to save a few hundred dollars. My plan is to compete (participate) in some local PRS matches. I’ve read good things about both reticles. Opinions please?

Thanks,

Matt

I have the MSR in all my S&B's. I don't think you're going to regret it, it's a great reticle.

Reactions: Meyer1784
Doesn't really matter now what any of us think about it, as you already purchased it. Best thing you can do now is to get to know your reticle. Dry fire with it, live fire with it, shoot matches with it. Until you train and shoot matches with it, you wont really know what to pick in a reticle.

I started with an MSR reticle. I currently have two scopes with them. My match scope now has a SKMR3 in it.

I debated between the MSR and the Gen2XR for my S&B. I went with the Gen2XR for a few different reasons, but one reason was that the MSR2 should be out in the PMII line soon, and I felt it was worth the wait. That having been said, I don't see anything wrong with the MSR, and the Gen2XR edged it out simply because it offered a less cluttered view, and I like the convenience of a simple tree reticle. I also have an AMG with thr EBR-7B and wanted a simpler, "lighter" hold over reticle.

But rock it! The reticle itself won't hold tou back, as the MSR has everything you need. Knowing your chosen reticle will be more helpful than a reticle with lots of bells and whistles that you're unfamiliar with!

I have four scopes with MSR reticles on various different rifles: 3 S&B and 1 Kahles. Love 'em all. As soon as the newer MSR-2 is available, I am going to switch it in to my 5-25x56 PMII which sits on my .338 LM, so I'll have 5, if all goes according to plan.

For reticle range estimation, which PRS matches just don't seem to do, they are the bomb. PRS is not the be all and end all of precision rifle competition, and for some others, PRS rifle comps are not the be all and end all of owning, using, and shooting rifles (read: real soldiers, not me....).

Lotsa PRS guys like some sort of Christmas tree reticle for the frequent sick stages of 90 seconds where your have to engage 10 targets positional at different ranges with no time to dial. The guys who excel at this have teriffic skills, acquired by lotsa training, but to me, meh, BFD. If this is your game, the get a Horus, or a Shannon Kay Kahles, not an MSR....

Just my $0.02

Last edited:
I got 3 of them. One of my preferred reticles.

No sorry you didn't, too bad to. I had such high hopes for you. I am not mad, but frankly I am a little disappointed. :LOL: LOL

Congrats on the new scope! You won't be held back by it at all. Your tastes may change in a year or two, but that might something totally different than the H2CMR anyway.

I much prefer the MSR to the H2cmr. It is much more usable at low magnifications. The circles and hashes of the H2cmr tend to blend together.

I have a s&b 3-20 ultrashort with the msr reticle I put up for sale because I wasn't sure if it was the right reticle. This old post has convinced me to keep it and get trained up on it !