• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes DPMS lr-308L Optics under $850

MarkAlan

Private
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2010
Florida
I am looking for the best scope under $850 for the above referenced. It will be used mostly for hunting, and some target shooting out to 300 yards. I hunt hogs and deer so I will need a wide rang of magnification and great low light optics.

Thank you for your help.

Is the Burris 3X12 FFP about the best I can get?

Re: DPMS lr-308L Optics under $850

What are your minimal requirements? matching reticle/turrets? is FFP a must? Do you want illuminated reticle? more info would help us give you more suggestions. Sightron SIII 6-24x50 is what I've got on my LR308.

I would like the low end of the scope to be 3-4 times for shooting hogs at 50 yards. Also mill dots would great. Ilumited reticle is not a necessity however low light ability is. I thought a FFP would help with shooting running hogs.

if your main goal is shooting hogs at 50 yards, just get a 3-9. that should be plenty to get you to 300. I don't see how FFP would benefit you with shooting hogs, it'll help you figure out distances but that's another art/science on it's own. IMHO you need a scope that has some sort of ballistic drop on it if it's mainly for hunting. If you insist on mil-dot, I still recommend Sightron mainly because I'm so impressed with the glass.

-Here's a Sightron that's 3.5-10:
http://sightron.com/index.php?action=view_document&did=1201816362&cat_id=6&id=2

-Vortex is another popular brand around here:
www.vortexoptics.com

-This Weaver tactical has some good reviews on here:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=598484

-Nitrex, these are on closeout and I have one of these on my A-Bolt, I love this scope btw:
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?con...xTRTwo3-15X50mm Rifle Scope Matte Finish Etched EBX Reticle

there's so many options, I highly recommend looking at the first 2 links I posted, read it twice! So much information on there that will enlighten you and also save you time and money. Check the For Sale Forums on here for Accessories/Optics. Tons of stuff! Also check your local sporting goods store like Cabelas or Bass Pro, etc and look through them. You'll get a better idea doing that, who knows? I could be full of shit.

I put a Bushnell 3200 3-9 x 40 on my LR-308. It has the Firefly reticle which has to be charged but is pretty cool at both dusk and dawn.

I shoot Hornady 150 BTSPs going about 2850 out of it with Varget and can hit a 6" plate out to 400 yards no problem. I also get groups a little under an inch at 100 yards.

That being said, I built this weapon as a hunting weapon, not for absolute accuracy so when I'm out in the sticks the scope is set to 3x. I spent $250 on the scope and love it.

Here's some secrets:

100 yards - Zero
200 yards - aim at the top of the 6" plate (drop is 3")
300 yards - place the point where the reticle turns into the duplex over your target (9x at this point)

Now, if I build a longer range weapon, I'm looking at a Leupold Mark AR.

I don't only shoot hog at 50 yards that is the closest. We shoot them running at 200+. Do you feel the Sightron is better than the Vortex Viper? I was looking at the 4x16X50 PST. Do you know anything about the Vortex?

I have a Burris 3x12 XTR and it has great glass and positive clicks. It tracks ok within 1/4 inch of initial impact. But it wasn't a full blown scientific review. I'm happy with it. Sitting on my highly modified Rock River AR-15. I'd say its good to 600.

PST looks great, problem is it still hasnt been released yet, release date is unsure, and the wait list for them is huge. If you can wait, it'll hopefully be a great scope, but if not, your going to have to look elsewhere.
I love the Burris XTR 1-4, great value and itll look great on your 308

I also have a Burris 3-12 XTR on my LR-308 I have 200 rnds through it. I am very pleased with my scope

I've never looked through Vortex but I spoke with Scott @ Liberty Optics (which he is a godsend on here) told me Sightron's glass (SIII models) are way better than Vortex. Sightron is often compared to Nightforce and the top dollar equipment. Only bad thing about Sightron is that they don't offer many options such as FFP, no MIL adjustments, simple reticles and only one illuminated reticle scope.

Contact Scott @ Liberty Optics or Brady @ SWFA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MarkL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would like the low end of the scope to be 3-4 times for shooting hogs at 50 yards. Also mill dots would great. Ilumited reticle is not a necessity however low light ability is. I thought a FFP would help with shooting running hogs. </div></div>

These features are all available in the Super Sniper 3-9 at $599.00 less 10% if you use the Sniper Hide discount code of SSHIDE. Scope is shown below on a LMT MWS. Great scope.[imgURL=http://img808.imageshack.us/i/picture005b.jpg/]
picture005b.jpg
[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.usimg]
[img

I ordered the Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5X16X50 mill dot. I will let you know what I think.

My final group of the day. With Dpms LR-308L and Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5X16X50 Mill dot.

P1010045.jpg

P1010044.jpg

P1010046.jpg

P1010051.jpg