• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DSR-1 vs DTA SRS

millsd

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2010
Austin, TX
Let me start by saying I have a 308 and 338 DTA SRS on order. That said, I'm curious what refinements make the dsr-1 so much better than the DTA rifle? Clearly the latter is based on the former, but the DSR is touted as being sub .2MOA vs the .5MOA of the SRS. Is this just a matter of engineering solid sniping accuracy with reasonable pricing vs engineering without pricing as a factor?

Admitedly, to me the dsr looks like an amazing specimen of German engineering forged out of the purest of metals...but I'd like to hear others thoughts comparing the sub $5k DTS SRS to the CAD $17k DSR-1 (assuming you can find one).

Re: DSR-1 vs DTA SRS

In Germany the DRS No1 is more around 7500 Euro without any additional features, of course. So import taxes and the profit margin of the importer could be an explanation. But it is still twice the price of a TRG which will also shoot 338 Lapua.

Explanation for price perhaps...but not for the claim that the can shoot 10 shot groups at 1000 yards in 1.7 inches I think DTA is 3 in .5 at 100yards.

Anyone shot a DSR to validate that claim? Pretty amazing if they can do .17MOA with 10 rounds...

That 10 shot group at 1.7" at 1000 yards is going to be more shooter related than due to the accuracy of the rifle. I don't care how accurate the rifle is I seriously doubt there is anyone around here with any rifle that is going to shoot a 1.7" 10 round group. I'm gonna call BS on this one....

I say if you have more money than sense and want to waste a few extra grand go for it! Buy a DSR. I guarantee that you will be the only kid on the block with one. But if you have a budget and you would like to save a lot of cash the DTA is a mighty fine rifle like myself and many around here you will not be disappointed.

Just my 2 cents.

can not get in USA. their is an outfit in Canada that imports to Canada and will sell to US but you will need an import license and be able to get to through customs

GOOD LUCK!

I would guess that the 1.7" claim is with the gun sitting in a vice as the world record benchrest is around 3" at 1000 yards. Still seems rather unlikely, but I'd be interested to hear feedback on what accuracy is attainable with a great rifle in perfect shooting conditions?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Millsd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would guess that the 1.7" claim is with the gun sitting in a vice as the world record benchrest is around 3" at 1000 yards. Still seems rather unlikely, but I'd be interested to hear feedback on what accuracy is attainable with a great rifle in perfect shooting conditions? </div></div>

I'm not exactly sure what you are looking for here..... Half MOA is pretty DAMN good. Some of the very best gunsmiths will guarantee 3/8 MOA. Don't get all caught up in the numbers. Odds are most rifle will shoot above your capability anyway....

I have shot both, they had a DSR-1 at Rifles Only for quite some time and in fact we used it for the 2nd Hide Cup back many years ago as a pick up rifle stage of the match.

personally I think the DTA is much better, a more well thought out bull-pup / system however you want to explain it. I think the guys at DTA did it right in both form, function and most importantly pricing. <span style="font-style: italic">( I don't think the 338LM kits for the DSR-1 ever made it to the States and the guys lost their money on it) </span>

I thought the DSR-1 while accurate, I guess, I never shot it for groups at 100, was too heavy, I didn't like it at all and never saw what anyone else did in wanting one.

Give me a DTA over a DSR-1 any day of the week and twice on the weekends.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dan17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In Germany the DRS No1 is more around 7500 Euro without any additional features, of course. So import taxes and the profit margin of the importer could be an explanation. But it is still twice the price of a TRG which will also shoot 338 Lapua.
</div></div>

When the rifle was available in the US back in 2001 thru an importing company called AMP (to the best of my memory), it was priced around 8k. The inflated price tag these days is most likely due to all the red tape involving importation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have shot both, they had a DSR-1 at Rifles Only for quite some time and in fact we used it for the 2nd Hide Cup back many years ago as a pick up rifle stage of the match.

personally I think the DTA is much better, a more well thought out bull-pup / system however you want to explain it. I think the guys at DTA did it right in both form, function and most importantly pricing. <span style="font-style: italic">( I don't think the 338LM kits for the DSR-1 ever made it to the States and the guys lost their money on it) </span>

I thought the DSR-1 while accurate, I guess, I never shot it for groups at 100, was too heavy, I didn't like it at all and never saw what anyone else did in wanting one.

Give me a DTA over a DSR-1 any day of the week and twice on the weekends. </div></div>

Didn't you guys kill a huge hog at rifles only with the DSR? How big were the groups? lol jk

go with the DTA it seems to be a rock solid platform, then again I've never shot one.

You can buy a DTA SRS and HTI for the same cost as the DSR-1 and have the option to shoot .243 to .50BMG.

If I really like my DTA SRS (hasn't arrived yet), there's a pretty good chance I'll get the HTI. And pretty much no chance I'll get a DSR given the price.

I have a DSR in .338LM and looking forward to getting the DTA SRS in July

The price of the SRS is about close on to the barrel change kit on the DSR

The DSR is a heavy puppy but im happy to put some pics together for a side by side.

Side by side would be nice...as well as your personal comparison when you get the DTA in your hands. Not that I'm looking to buy a DSR, but given their similarities, I'm curious how they stack up beyond price.

Or...if you are into bullpups, you can get one of these:

WA20003.jpg

Damn thing was very heavy. ONly shot it once.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: weaver126</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have shot both, they had a DSR-1 at Rifles Only for quite some time and in fact we used it for the 2nd Hide Cup back many years ago as a pick up rifle stage of the match.

Give me a DTA over a DSR-1 any day of the week and twice on the weekends. </div></div>

Didn't you guys kill a huge hog at rifles only with the DSR? How big were the groups? lol jk

go with the DTA it seems to be a rock solid platform, then again I've never shot one. </div></div>

That Pig was killed with the DSR-1 and it's for sale for 15,000 cash if your looking for one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: James Anthony</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: weaver126</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have shot both, they had a DSR-1 at Rifles Only for quite some time and in fact we used it for the 2nd Hide Cup back many years ago as a pick up rifle stage of the match.

That Pig was killed with the DSR-1 and it's for sale for 15,000 cash if your looking for one.

go with the DTA it seems to be a rock solid platform, then again I've never shot one. </div></div></div></div>

James here has both rifles the DSR-1 was his at RO and yes he killed a pig with it, and I believe he has a DTA too.

i have shot both and the DTA would be my choice if i were to buy one......but i feel the price that they currently want for just the 308 is unrealistic for me..

bench

Nice! You think he would take $5k for that gun? I mean, the economy is still in a rough place ya know? Besides, I wouldn't want to put myself in the same place as the guy that said his wife would smother him in the night if he spent the 15G's. At 5k, I think I'd at least have a fighting chance of waking up in the morning:)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Millsd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice! You think he would take $5k for that gun? I mean, the economy is still in a rough place ya know? Besides, I wouldn't want to put myself in the same place as the guy that said his wife would smother him in the night if he spent the 15G's. At 5k, I think I'd at least have a fighting chance of waking up in the morning:) </div></div>

NO I wouldn't take 5K for it.

I love how people get on here and run their mouth then when push comes to shove they run for the door..LOL

ALL TALK NO BALLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL. Kidding of course on the 5k comment! Mind you...I'd take it in about 30 seconds at that price, but a person would have to be pretty desperate to sell a 15k gun for that price. In any case, I think I'll be taking the other recommendations and keeping my DTA SRS in 338 and 308 and buying the HTI in perhaps 375 and 50bmg later this year. And after all that, I think I'll still have enough to take the fam on vacation!

Good luck on the sale James. More than I want to spend on a rifle right now, but from the looks of it, a true modern marvel of engineering!

Is it 15k because it's rare or that much better?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Belisarius</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it 15k because it's rare or that much better? </div></div>
Yes rare...
To my knowledge there are only three in the U.S. I have one Nick from DTA has one and who ever Jacob from Rifles Only sold his to has one…. All three were from Shot Show 2002 the only ones they got into country. As far as I know.

James is correct there are actually six DSR-1 in the united states and I know all the guys that have them. $15,000 is a good deal, another fellow was selling his for $30,000

DSR changed hands a few years back from AMP, but the initial instigators still run the show. I met Ingolf Reuter personally back in 2004, really intelligent bloke. Speaks English well. After that meeting they began using Border barrels exclusively, I don't know the current situation.