• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Fed 215 Primers versus other Magnum Large Rifle primers

waveslayer

Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 6, 2012
    CA
    Does anyone know what other Primers I can try rather than my old faithful Fed 215's? I am reloading for my 6.5 SAUM, 7.82 Warbird, and .338 Norma. I have always used Fed 215 primers.

I wanted to see how switching the primers would do on my load development and just squeeze a bit more out of stabilizing my velocity. I am right on the verge of single digits for my Warbird for SD, my Norma I am at 3-5 SD and the SAUM I am at 11 SD.

Just curious to see what other Magnum Primers I should test.

i have a 338 nm. used to use federal 215 mag primers but now we use rem9 1/2 . a little bit more powder but very good results

Maybe it's just me but I've had good experiences with Winchester LRM. WinLRM and Fed 215M have been the hottest and the lowest S.D.'s in my 300 win and 300 Norma. You'll notice a bit more velocity out of those 2 than CCI. I can't speak to the Rem 91/2's, never tried em

Use whichever one works the best in providing the desired precision with the lowest SD. I have three different mag primers on my bench and I usually end up using either the Fed 215 (M) or the CCI 250 to achieve the most consistency. None of my loads have tuned in well with WLRMs. A lot of times velocity changes from primers is relative to the combination of the other components. In a recent Lapua workup I tried three different mag primers with four shots each, Fed 215, CCI 250, and a WLRM. All of the primers averaged within 5 fps of 2840 fps. The difference was in the Extreme Spread. In this instance the CCI250 achieved the same velocity average as the other two with a single digit ES.

Brentc,

that's why I am trying for, lower SD or ES numbers. my current loads are good, but I think i can improve them

Try the cheap Russian type, a few years back I couldn't get any 215/215M & only found Tulla available. Lowered my SD & ES with a small bump in speed. I've been using them ever since.

couldn't find any 215/215M when my 338LM was done (as that is the most common primer in the reloading pages). Found Winnys local. My ES was 8. I havent and see no reason to try and source/pay premium for 215s.

couldn't find any 215/215M when my 338LM was done (as that is the most common primer in the reloading pages). Found Winnys local. My ES was 8. I havent and see no reason to try and source/pay premium for 215s.

Same experience here. My loads so far have all been single digit SDs with low ES and more importantly, great performance at distance.

My friend, on the other hand, couldn't get consistent results using the WLRMs and gets better results with the 215s.

Go figure.

CCI 250's produced tighter numbers for me in a 300 Norma mag over 215M's. I do a lot of load dev for guys and have always preached Federal match primers, but also found CCI BR2's did better in a 6.5 Creed I just worked on too, over 210M's.
    Thinking the bitch was going to get elected, I managed to score over 75K 210M & 205M's last year, I'm not about to switch from using them but if I had kept an open mind on the primers I would not have had to act like a junkyard dog filling my cache.

CCI 250's produced tighter numbers for me in a 300 Norma mag over 215M's. I do a lot of load dev for guys and have always preached Federal match primers, but also found CCI BR2's did better in a 6.5 Creed I just worked on too, over 210M's.
    Thinking the bitch was going to get elected, I managed to score over 75K 210M & 205M's last year, I'm not about to switch from using them but if I had kept an open mind on the primers I would not have had to act like a junkyard dog filling my cache.

This is exactly the reason I have more than one brand on my shelf. It's just another piece of load development you have to consider if you're at all concerned about achieving the most precise loads..