• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First gun. 260 Rem. TRG22 vs AIC AE

shovelstrokeed

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 16, 2013
Both guns wind up pricing about the same with pretty similar specs.
I like using factory ammo or I might consider 6.5x47

I'm planning to go with Euro Optic as the source.

The only thing I'm pretty well settled on is S&B PMII in a Spuhr mount.

I need a bit of help with the actual gun decsion. I'll be punching paper early on but plan on clanging steel.

Weight and handy mean very little, the gun will see mostly bench duty. At 71, I doubt I'll even do a whole bunch of prone.

Thanks in advance.

Awfully quiet around here.

This is not a troll, I'm neither new to shooting or new to trying to get precision out of a gun, just need a little help with pro and con of each from those with experience.
No need to own both guns, what bugs you about your AI? What bugs you about the Sako? What are the best features of either?

C'mon guys, I really want the input.

Lots of good reading here - http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/snipers-hide-bolt-action-rifles/175801-accuracy-international-aiaw-vs-sako-trg-22-my-experience-both.html

I sold my TRG in favor of the AI. No complaints with either. The ergonomics of the AI were simply a better fit.

Wow! Nice writeup and just what I was looking for. My feelings have changed just a bit, I too am in favor of an out of the box rifle. Not because of cost, mind you, but I am impatient and want the gun now, or at least in a couple of weeks when a windfall is expected to help my bank balance. My budget puts me at around 8K for the whole package (retail pricing) and I expect I might be able to do a little better.

From my old shooting days when I was into IHMSA and clay bird shooting (mostly trap) I know that the cost of the gun is actually a minor factor when compared to cost of ammo, travel and entry/range fees. That writeup pretty much confirmed my gut feeling that an AI would be a better deal despite a bit of cost in favor of the TRG.
Mainly the ease of service and ability to change bbls in case of a problem or just wearing the dang thing out.

I have done a little cost research as well while contemplating all this and 6.5 CM is my new favorite. I may reload at some point, I do have a press and can get dies. I like the idea of running the same chassis in both 308 and 6.5. Keeps my ammo costs down and I have 2 other 308 guns. A Ruger Gunsite Scout which is my deer getter and a LWRC REPR which I consider my learning gun. I have managed to get that gun shooting consistent sub-MOA 5 shot groups at 200 so I'm confident I'll have only a bit of trouble adapting to a bolt gun.

Thanks again for the very useful information.

My choice would be a TRG 22 in 6.5CM/.260 (rebarreled or one from Eurooptics) with a KRG Stock and KRG AICS conversion.

TRG mags are much more expensive and not as plentiful.

Depends on what you like really. I am not a fan of the AI stock and chassis, so I would lean towards Sako.

Both the AE and TRG will shoot very similar. Two of the best factory rifles out there.

If you DO have problems with the SAKO, dealing with Berretta may be a pain in the ass. However I think if you had an issue, the hide could take care of you if need be.... there is so much experince and so many world class smiths here, I wouln't worry.

CC, thanks.
I,ve done a bunch of research and haven't really found much to choose between them.
I am of the opinion, right now anyway, that stock selection will be the defining thing for me.
As you know, I'm a bit advanced in calendar years so it is very important to me that the gun fits me and doesn't fatigue me over a long session at the bench. May sound odd to someone who humps one for a living but the extra weight of the AI may well be the deciding factor for me.

I've had both (TRG 22 and AIAW) and still have the TRG. The AI was a great rifle but I just felt more comfortable with the Sako. I'm probably in the minority and until I had an AI, really wanted one and thought I had to have one, both shoot lights out, try to shoot each,

The AI is a better platform by far. My biggest pet peeve about the TRG is the little trigger guard with the safety inside it (not safe at all) and the cost of spare mags and stuff. It's not a bad rifle by any means, I had a TRG42 and TRG22 and enjoyed both of them but there is a reason why they aren't in the safe anymore and an AI is.

I just bought a TRG with KRG stock and was seriously compelled to go with an AI AE MK3. The 2 lbs extra weight on the AI was the main reason for sticking with the Sako. The Ai's extra weight is mostly forward of the trigger guard (at least it felt that way in my memory) and that gets my back twinging. I wonder if the AE barrel profile is thicker as well? It was a big difference to me when the weight is far from your body CG. For bench shooting it really doesn't matter, but I may try tactical matches eventually. Honestly, the AIAE seams to be the better built gun for all the above mentioned reasons in various threads, but the TRG is has a look and feel that is amazing. Another factor for the TRG was that I can "strip it down" without tactical accessories and use it for a "heavy" hunting rifle. The newer TRG's have an improved safety and metal trigger guard. If I decide to hand load later I may switch to .260. Once you have the new barrel fitted to your TRG action you can then change them yourself like an AI. Also, there is word of a source for after market TRG mags at the end of the year (I hope).

I still haven't shot mine yet - still waiting for my Sphur mount tomorrow !

Snipe, Redneck and Adam and all others,

Thanks for the advise/experience.

As it stands now, your opinions have helped me with my decision.
Not a bunch mind you as the opinions run pretty close to 50-50 :confused:

The money for the gun should be in my bank within the next week or so and I'll order it then. A lot is going to depend on who has what in stock at the time.

No, I'm not gonna tell you my decision. I will, however, post pics the same day I get the gun. :D

I just made the same choice, there is now an AE in my safe.

I really like the TRG22, but the only one I have used is in 308. I used to own an FN SPR A3G and both rifles shot equally well. What I did notice was that EVERYONE who shot the TRG22 thought it was easier to shoot well than the A3G. I guess there is something about the ergonomics of the TRG that folks liked.

I really don't have experience with a TRG in any caliber other than 308, so I can't give any info there. I have found that the TRG22 shoots great, is extremely consistent, zero never wanders even if I leave it alone for months. I like rifles that simply work like they are supposed to without any tinkering, or mesing with. I had problems with the SPR A3G so I got rid of it. (It went back to FN)

Well, It's not in my paws yet but, pardon the expression, the check is in the mail.

Pierce action
Rock 25" 8 twist bbl threaded wi protector
AI AX stock
6.5 CM

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii212/dc3483/null_zps0dcb3e65.jpg

I have, enroute

Bushy 3.5-21x50 G2DMR,
Spuhr 34 mm mount
Accushot bottom rail for AI
Accushot Rear mono for AI
Accushot BT10 bipod
Assorted Cooper Creek and Ammo to Go ammo in various bullets. At least 2 boxes of all I could find with the exception of 140 Amax.

Should have everything in hand by the end of next week.
Off to range then with high hopes.

Last edited: