• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

First precision rifle

gmansbu

Private
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2021
New Jersey
I’m a beginner in the precision shooting world, but would like to get into it. I like the look of a custom/semi custom rifle, but I feel like it would be overkill since I am a rookie. Originally I was thinking Remington 700, but after reading on the forum it seems like there are more popular choices.

After reading some other beginner threads I’m thinking of going with the bergara b14 hmr in 6.5 creedmoor. Can I upgrade individual components of this rifle? Trigger, stock, barrel, etc. Or do I have to keep it stock? As I get better at shooting I would like the option to upgrade components as I go.

Regarding other options it seems like the tikka is more popular on the forum. It also looked like it was a little more expensive. Would I see any benefit as a beginner from spending the little more for the tikka compared to the bergara?

Thanks in advance guys

Rather than fighting the construction and or worrying about what components you should/would need next, if this is all new, I would suggest getting a rifle that is basically ready to use.

For my use, the RPR in 6.5 meets all the requirements you state and other than a scope/mount and bipod, nothing else is needed. The RPR is easily capable of beating the 1MOA mark out of the box with most users getting much better.

True, I upgraded the rear stock on mine but it was more of a personal preference. The rifle was already shooting under 1/2” and has continued to do so. If you choose, after getting your feet good and wet, you can upgrade stocks, triggers, barrels, or just add another rifle.

Fact is, why fight trying to build something when you could be shooting and seeing what you like, at a price point that does not break the bank.

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
Regarding the bergara you are looking at;
I own several including a B14 in creedmoor, excellent gun for the money. Shoots extremely well with factory and hand loaded ammunition. Regarding upgrades, it’s a rem 700 clone so it accepts upgrades to trigger, stock, scope rail. Bergara did some unique things compared to Remington to keep in mind, they have a bolt release on the receiver rather than the trigger assembly, a different extracor, coned breach. Basically the first things you would change in a custome built Remington 700 to improve feeding and extraction lol. best sticking to the original barrel.
Good luck!

I’m a beginner in the precision shooting world, but would like to get into it. I like the look of a custom/semi custom rifle, but I feel like it would be overkill since I am a rookie. Originally I was thinking Remington 700, but after reading on the forum it seems like there are more popular choices.

After reading some other beginner threads I’m thinking of going with the bergara b14 hmr in 6.5 creedmoor. Can I upgrade individual components of this rifle? Trigger, stock, barrel, etc. Or do I have to keep it stock? As I get better at shooting I would like the option to upgrade components as I go.

Regarding other options it seems like the tikka is more popular on the forum. It also looked like it was a little more expensive. Would I see any benefit as a beginner from spending the little more for the tikka compared to the bergara?

Thanks in advance guys
You’ve given no information on what purpose this rifle will serve. Without a more focused use case, you’re not going to get the best answers.

With regard to the comment about not wanting to get too nice of a rifle. I’m of the opinion that it’s better to have a rifle far beyond your own capabilities for two reasons. 1) so that when you miss, you know for sure that it’s you and not the gun. 2) so that you have plenty of room to learn and grow into the rifle. That said, if you really are serious about precision rifle shooting, I’d suggest getting best rifle and optic you can afford, emphasis on the optic.

Reactions: RTV
Either the Bergara or Tikka will serve you well. Bergara is compatible with many Rem700 aftermarket parts and stocks/chassis. Tikka has a 70 degree bolt throw vs. the Bergara 90 degree and an action that is smoother out of the box than the Bergara in my opinion. Aftermarket for the Tikka is growing and you should be able to upgrade the parts that you decide you want to upgrade. You can take the b-14 HMR straight out of the box and hit the ground running. I think I would choose Tikka CTR and upgrade to a KRG bravo if you’re on a budget. They are both great rifles for the money, so there really isn’t a wrong answer.

Last edited:
Reactions: YotaEer
It’s funny, I was just thinking about this last night, about the “on ramp” to quality gear, if you will, and how it ain’t cheap. I have a B14 HMR, amongst other things, and I’m starting to feel like I could’ve gotten a custom gun by now with all the optional add-ons I’ve purchased. Now, at least one of those, the Premier bolt, shouldn’t be necessary now that they’ve fixed the firing pin hole issue on the bolt face, but you’d absolutely want a TriggerTech aftermarket trigger in my opinion.

As other posters have mentioned, you haven’t given quite enough detail about your intended purpose; mostly, I’d say this comes down to competition only vs. hunting/comp combo vs. mostly long-range hunting vs. just an accurate rifle to enjoy.

If it’s competition only, you’ll want to go ahead and jump right into a chassis rifle with an integral ARCA rail that has good aftermarket support, in particular barrel prefits that are pretty available. Tikka and most R700 clones both fit this bill, the Bergara doesn’t.

If it’s mostly hunting, you’ll want something a fair bit lighter, and there are a lot of solid options out there.

Finally, I’d say resale value should be a top priority, since if you start out low to medium on the gear curve and wanna keep going, it’s nice to be able to recoup most of your initial investment to put to an upgrade.

Thanks for all the responses/feedback so far. It’s very helpful.

The rifle will only be used for shooting at my local gun range. No hunting. And no plans to compete.

Thanks for all the responses/feedback so far. It’s very helpful.

The rifle will only be used for shooting at my local gun range. No hunting. And no plans to compete.
Huh. I mean...you don’t really need a precision rifle, then, since just about every decent hunting rifle in moderate caliber nowadays comes with a sub-MOA guarantee. But! Who am I to get between someone and a new toy?

Based on what you’ve said, I’d steer towards a Tikka of one sort or another. Accurate, plenty of aftermarket support, and everyone raves about what a joy they are to operate (super slick actions right out of the box, plus that 70-degree bolt throw mentioned above). I do think this limits you a bit on trigger options, but there are plenty of good ones out there if you wanna swap out the factory offering.

Resale value on the factory rifle will be just fine, not so much on aftermarket add-ons if you sell the whole thing as a package. But, if you *do* end up wanting to sell it, breaking it up into the individual aftermarket components usually yields a decent return, even if it’s more of a pain.

Haven't been behind any Howas but all the Tikkas I have shot have neen excellent shooters both in feel and accuracy.

I should say by feel i mean smoothness of cycling the bolt. The factory stocks are definitely not my favorite.

Tikka.
.308, or 6.5 Creedmoor.
CTR, Super Varmint, or TAC AI.
Get decent scope and rings.
Learn about reloading. It will save you money after initial setup, and dramatically improve accuracy once you have a load built.
Whatever you choose, just have fun.
👍

I’m a beginner in the precision shooting world, but would like to get into it. I like the look of a custom/semi custom rifle, but I feel like it would be overkill since I am a rookie.
Why would a custom rifle be overkill? If you can afford one, get one. The only potential problem is that you don't know what you don't know and could be making expensive mistakes. That can be mitigated by hiring a rifle builder to help you make appropriate choices for your situation (available distances, budget, etc) and build it for you. Buying parts and building your own is not recommended for someone who has zero experience with any of this.

Originally I was thinking Remington 700
Garbage from a company that went out of business.

After reading some other beginner threads I’m thinking of going with the bergara b14 hmr in 6.5 creedmoor.
Excellent choice. I don't think anything in its price class compares, except maybe the Ruger RPR.

Can I upgrade individual components of this rifle? Trigger, stock, barrel, etc. Or do I have to keep it stock? As I get better at shooting I would like the option to upgrade components as I go.
The Bergara B-14 is compatible with almost any stock, trigger, and scope base that fits a Remington 700 so you have a lot of choices. That said, DO NOT rush out to buy shit and bling it out. Put the money into ammo and instruction.

Would I see any benefit as a beginner from spending the little more for the tikka compared to the bergara?
No

☝No harm going that way either.
I wish I would have done that. I did it the other way around and that was when compononents were easily available and 1/2 the cost. Today I think it’s more valid than ever to start with a rimfire specifically a 22lr. With the rimfire learn to collect the data points and inputs for a good ballastic app, and implementation of shooting targets using the data you gathered. You’ll learn so much more so much quicker. And imo it’s every bit as enjoyable. When you get your centerfire you’ll be off and running quickly because everything will transfer over to 6.5 manbun gun.

Reactions: 308pirate
Honestly, I have said for years what demo has said above.

You don't get the numbers and touches in on shooting running a high caliber rifle. How many rounds will you get shooting a 6.5 at $2.50/round?

Better to get a quality .22LR and get more shots in without worrying about burning out your barrel throat from heat, and the scope/mount can move over to a bigger rifle when you're ready.

it's about getting shots downrange and following through on your checklist of shooting "to dos" as a beginner

I'd also consider a .223 like a Tikka T3x Varmint. Just leave it factory stock and shoot it as is. you can run 55gr bulk ammo to start which will be a lot cheaper and stay inside of 300 yards. this is how I train new shooters now that I sold the .22 bolt I had

Reactions: demolitionman
I wish I would have done that. I did it the other way around and that was when compononents were easily available and 1/2 the cost. Today I think it’s more valid than ever to start with a rimfire specifically a 22lr. With the rimfire learn to collect the data points and inputs for a good ballastic app, and implementation of shooting targets using the data you gathered. You’ll learn so much more so much quicker. And imo it’s every bit as enjoyable. When you get your centerfire you’ll be off and running quickly because everything will transfer over to 6.5 manbun gun.

Now that I have a decent rimfire (Bergara B-14R) I couldn't agree more. I got the rifle about two weeks ago and just shot it at long range last Sunday (200 yards).

Couldn't believe how much fun it was (no recoil, almost silent with good ear pro) and 22LR ballistics at 200 mimic those of my short barrel 308 at 700 - 800 yards. I went through 145 rounds in less than 2 hours.

Reactions: spife7980
The Bergara HMR is a nice rifle for the money. I have a few friends with them and they are good shooting guns. Aftermarket for it will be huge as it's a Remington 700 clone. The only piece that is really different is the barrel but that's something that a gunsmith is going to change anyways so it's not really much of a con. Plus the Bergara barrels are pretty nice. My suggestion would be to get a lot of time behind the rifle before you change anything. Trigger time is going to help you far more than a chassis will. The stock on the HMR is plenty good for what you are doing.

The Tikka T3x is roughly the same price and another good option. The aftermarket wont be as plentiful as the Bergara but it's not lacking in any way. The Tikka will also shoot very well out of the box. The only real downside I can think of is that the factory Tikka mags are kinda expensive, but if it's just a fun gun you really dont need a bunch of mags anyways.

Id say go to a store and fondle both of them and see which one you like better. Both are great rifles with room to build/grow if you end up really liking the sport.

Reactions: LoCal247