• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Foretrex 701 - Profile Loading

MarinePMI

Ban Cat Handler
Staff member
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 3, 2010
    San Diego, Ca
    Okay, so I received my 701 yesterday evening. Initial impressions are that I really like the form factor, the increased amount of real estate (over the Kestral), and again am left wanting for instructions for the software and profile loading. I mean, come on AB, get your shit together already.

Be that as it may, there was no instruction on how to get everything running in a single user guide, so I figured I'd bang something out so other folks don't have to figure it out themselves and (again) beta test crappy User Guides that are scattered across the internet.

After unboxing the 701, inserting the batteries and all the other minutae (pairing it with your phone, syncing the tempe sensor and calibrating the compass and GPS), go to your PC and download the latest version of Garmin Express. If you do not, Win 10 will not be able to recognize the device (I'm guessing the driver is proprietary and contained within the application). After installing Garmin Express, completely stop the app (yes, I selected the "Launch Garmin Express" at the end of the install, and it wouldn't detect the 701). I suspect something in the older version of Garmin Express I had, is read at application start up, so a shutdown is needed to read all the updated files/devices it supports.

With the 701 turned on, and the back cover opened, insert the micro USB plug in the 701, and then plug the standard USB end of the cable to your computer. GE will then recognize it, as well as check for firmware updates (likely needed). Install updates. After installing updates, using windows, unmount the USB device, power the 701 off, and then power back on. This will initiate the new firmware being loaded/read into the device's runtime environment.

While the firmware is loading, down load the latest AB Profile Loader "AB-PL" (ver 60, IIRC, is the most current). Don't forget to save your existing profiles somewhere (iCloud or Explorer cloud works well as a saved place if you have multiple laptops or tablets). Launch the install.exe and put the app somewhere (I create a folder with "Profile Loader" name and a date, since AB is constantly updating them).

With the 701 powered on, connect it to your computer, and also launch the AB-PL. When it launches, it will ask you which device, select the Foretrex 701.

When the AB-PL appears, you'll see the "Foretrex 701" folder in the upper right (where the comms button usually is for a Kestrel). Here's the important part; AB-PL will NOT ALLOW CDM PROFILES TO BE CREATED UNTIL YOU MOVE A DEFAULT PROFILE FROM THE 701 TO THE AB-PL. The CDM library is defaulted to a locked state until you download a profile from the device (I'm assuming this an authentication feature, clunky and crude as it may be). Unfortunately, there were no instructions I could find that showed a user how to do this (the PDF on AB was fucking useless, as it had every device but the 701). At any rate...

By selecting that Foretrex folder in the upper right, a file tree navigation panel appears (yeah, ala Windows 3.1, another amateurish U/I implementation IMHO). If you navigate through the tree to the 701 on your "My Computer" tree (shown as a mass storage device) you'll be able to drive down the tree to the AB software file directory structure that resides on the 701 device, until you hit the "Profile" folder. Select that one and hit Open.

You'll immediately see the right panel on AB-PL suddenly load with the default Profiles on the device. Select one and move it to the AB-PL profile list (lower left panel). Your CDM library will now be unlocked, as well as, you'll now be able to load saved profiles to your 701 (once you have copied them into the AB-PL "Profiles" folder). It would be nice if a message pops up stating the library is now unlocked, but there is no notification as of now that I saw.

Pretty straight forward once you figure out the logic behind the software (which is a bit quirky, but way better than the 4500 POS s/w).

Perhaps the forthcoming AB Connect will resolve some of these steps above(?). I sure hope/pray that Garmin is helping AB with the AB Connect software, since (obviously) Garmin already knows how to manage s/w distribution to a wide variety of disparate hardware devices. Or, at a minimum, I hope AB is taking notes on how Garmin does it, because Garmin's shit just plain works with out all this other nonsense. I suspect (and hope I am correct) that the AB Connect application will be that layer of abstraction between devices and AB software, so that the software can more easily be updated (as well as the devices) without necessarily requiring updates across all the devices/software.

Still, overall, I'm impressed with this little wearable device.

I haven't shot with it yet, but will be using it extensively in two weeks while out shooting prairie dogs for a week, so will give some further feedback for folks when I return.

Initial enhancements I could see being useful:

1. When the range card, or target card are enabled, block the text message paring with the phone(or cache the messages until after I get out of range card/target card mode). If I'm using either of those functions, I'm likely shooting under time constraints, and don't need a text popping up at the wrong time, blocking my come ups data when in the middle of a stage or trying to get on multiple prairie dogs/targets in the field.

2. I haven't played with it since updating the firmware, but the whole profile selection was a bit quirky with the double button tap. Put the selection in the menu where the edit option resides (which in a quick glance at the read me of the latest firmware update, seems to maybe have been addressed)

3. When "Foretrex 701" is selected for the AB-PL, FFS! go find the device on the machines and default to it's profile directory. Having a user manually traverse the file directory to get there is retarded, and is a blatantly lazy or sloppy U/I implementation.

4. The compass calibration needs better detail to explain (like having to roll the 701 over in a figure eight pattern, vice just move it in a figure eight pattern).

As I use it more, I'll revisit this thread and update what I find useful, and what I find annoying. I'm not necessarily trying to bust AB's balls with this post, I really do like this device with the AB software. That being said, I am trying to call AB out as a user and tell them the same thing I tell my engineers when we design/build/integrate technology; "It doesn't matter how gee whiz bang gucci your tech is if the user can't use it effectively. If they can't use it, we've just made their life more complicated, their work more difficult, and are distracting them from doing their mission, which IS NOT knowing how our tech operates. If we can't figure out how to make our tech usable, some other competitor will."

At any rate,

Hope this helps some folks out (including AB)...

Last edited:
    Great input here. I'm looking into the 701 for elk hunting, having both ballistics computer and mapping on one device. Following.

Edit: @MarinePMI, I talked with AB, and they suggested that the Kestrel 5700 and 701 should crank out the same outputs, so long as inputs are identical. I'm cautious because the 701 isn't a weather station, however, it does connect to tempe and you can manually input station conditions. I'd appreciate your feedback from this aspect, especially to see how close DOPE aligns assuming you have identical inputs. In theory, it should be identical with because it's the same ballistic engine.

Last edited:
    Made some edits to my post for clarity.

@SkyScrapin , ditto here, though for me it was for deer hunting this fall. Will update this thread periodically as I have thoughts and/or more experience with it.

How easy is it to make a custom range card on the 701? Could you knock out 3-4 distances on a custom range card before a match stage or is it too cumbersome?

I've played with it a little bit, and I think it's doable. You just need to go through the steps a couple times to get the "buttonology" down pat. I plan on just using an old CoF and running through it with the ranges to practice.

If they ever get the Burris BDX interface (or something similar) where the LRF pipes directly to the 701 Target Card, it'd be money for sure. (I hear they're working on it)

I bought one of these a while back and ended up having surgery and haven't had the chance to work with it on the range much. I spent some time with it while I was recovering and had it out the last two weekends for a bit of practice, the first time 4--5 months. I have been happy with it so far. Editing on the fly is cumbersome. A connected app would help.

I don't have a Windows machine and haven't been able to use the Profile app. A few things I have noticed or would like.

There is no way to select favorite bullets so they show up quickly. I generally use a few different brands of ammo and switching between them takes a bit. Having a way to set bullets as favorites so they showed up quickly would be nice.

Editing the target card isn't too tough, quick edit is helpful. There is way to name targets but renaming items takes too long. I just keep them as T1, T2, etc...

I don't like it on my wrist. It is not visible when behind the gun. If I am shooting prone on a firing line I just leave it off to the side in front of me with my book. If I am shooting from a barricade or what not I drop it in my pocket. I am thinking of finding a way to mount it to a rail.

I would like the screen to flip so the buttons are on top. The way it is you use your thumbs. I would like to flip it upside down so that the buttons are on top.

I'll be using it going forward and will have more to offer later on.

Reactions: MarinePMI
    Yeah, I was playing with the target card last night and agree, and app would be a nice additional interface (the Profile loader is much easier to build out profiles, even with it's quirks that I mentioned above). That being said, it was pretty straight forward to quickly build out a target card on the device itself. It'd be nice if the default range was not 1000 yds (500yds would probably be a good middle of the road default).

All in all, the 701 is growing on me, and (to me anyways) seems a much better ergonomic solution than the Kestrel. For hunting this fall, my jacket has Molle on the left sleeve/wrist, so it'll just get mounted directly to my jacket for that.

Reactions: JayB
    Thanks guys! Considering one of these for hunting and match use, but already have a GPS and just use a plain old arm board for matches. Kind of a spendy option, but if it could work well for both I could justify it.

I bought one of these a while back and ended up having surgery and haven't had the chance to work with it on the range much. I spent some time with it while I was recovering and had it out the last two weekends for a bit of practice, the first time 4--5 months. I have been happy with it so far. Editing on the fly is cumbersome. A connected app would help.

I don't have a Windows machine and haven't been able to use the Profile app. A few things I have noticed or would like.

There is no way to select favorite bullets so they show up quickly. I generally use a few different brands of ammo and switching between them takes a bit. Having a way to set bullets as favorites so they showed up quickly would be nice.

Editing the target card isn't too tough, quick edit is helpful. There is way to name targets but renaming items takes too long. I just keep them as T1, T2, etc...

I don't like it on my wrist. It is not visible when behind the gun. If I am shooting prone on a firing line I just leave it off to the side in front of me with my book. If I am shooting from a barricade or what not I drop it in my pocket. I am thinking of finding a way to mount it to a rail.

I would like the screen to flip so the buttons are on top. The way it is you use your thumbs. I would like to flip it upside down so that the buttons are on top.

I'll be using it going forward and will have more to offer later on.

We have a mount in development.

Yeah, I was playing with the target card last night and agree, and app would be a nice additional interface (the Profile loader is much easier to build out profiles, even with it's quirks that I mentioned above). That being said, it was pretty straight forward to quickly build out a target card on the device itself. It'd be nice if the default range was not 1000 yds (500yds would probably be a good middle of the road default).

All in all, the 701 is growing on me, and (to me anyways) seems a much better ergonomic solution than the Kestrel. For hunting this fall, my jacket has Molle on the left sleeve/wrist, so it'll just get mounted directly to my jacket for that.
    Agree with everything you said about 701.

I put mine in a little phone tripod I got off amazon and it works decent.

Bumping this for any news on App development.

I used mine for a week up in Montana, and the wrist mounted range card worked well (real well). I'll be very interested to see how an interface to load the target card works with an LRF like the TerrapinX or similar.

Reactions: Conrad
    I think another nice upgrade would be to make the Range card layout show W1 and W2 just as the Target card does. The range card is highly functional when put at 20 yd increments because every 100 yards is shown on the screen (5 rows). A few button taps and you are through your entire range of dope. W1 can be easy enough to extrapolate, but for quick bracketing having W1/W2 available is nice. Would be an easy firmware fix.