• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Re: Form 4 wait time

I am preparing to send off my first Form 4 and SBR paperwork. Can I mail them together? and how should I send them? regular mail, certified, or what? My dealer did an okay job, I guess I didn't ask him all the right questions. Also, what should be my response to reason fingerprinted? Thanks for the help.

What's depressing is having two form 4s approved 12/20/11 and your dealer still has not called saying they arrived. Dang 24 days now how long does it take.

I would be calling him
smile.gif

Form 4 (individual transfer) for a suppressor

Packet mailed: 04NOV2011
Check cashed: 15NOV2011
Pending: 21NOV2011
Examiner:Jason Bowers
I called the NFA branch today and was told processing time was approx 5 months

I am about to send form 1 for an AR I plan on building. Just going to mail it then forget about it. Maybe I will see my tax stamp by the summer. I have been contemplating a TBAC 30BA. I think I know where my tax return will be going, straight to my dealer. hahaha. Damn, class 3 is an expensive habit

Amen. Mine was approved 12/16 and thought I'd have it in time for a New Year's hunting trip. As of 1/14 dealer hasn't returned my many phone calls and email to see if stamp has arrived yet. Giving him the benefit of doubt that Holiday mail slowed the arrival down, but getting close to losing my cool with him.

Just got the call on my 7.62SDN from STG in Prescott.
5 months. Not too bad. Seemed like 8 months. time to get that 5R dirty.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smcfarland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Amen. Mine was approved 12/16 and thought I'd have it in time for a New Year's hunting trip. As of 1/14 dealer hasn't returned my many phone calls and email to see if stamp has arrived yet. Giving him the benefit of doubt that Holiday mail slowed the arrival down, but getting close to losing my cool with him. </div></div>

Yupp same boat.. approved 12/21 still no papers.

according to NFA tracker people are getting form 4's in hand approved 1/9
mad.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smcfarland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Amen. Mine was approved 12/16 and thought I'd have it in time for a New Year's hunting trip. As of 1/14 dealer hasn't returned my many phone calls and email to see if stamp has arrived yet. Giving him the benefit of doubt that Holiday mail slowed the arrival down, but getting close to losing my cool with him. </div></div>

Same here no response since I told him back in Dec. that they were approved.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Proud Noob</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Out of curiosity, has anyone NOT been approved for a NFA item? If so, does the dealer give you back your $$?</div></div>

From what I understand, if you are not approved and will never be approved, you are out the $200 fee. Now, you might not receive approval due to an error in the paperwork, but the BATFE will send the forms back to you so you can correct them, and then you send them back to the BATFE where it will continue it's journey towards approval.

As far as getting your money back on the item, I think it would be up to the dealer. I doubt that most will. I mean, you bought the item, it's yours. They're just holding it for you until the paperwork comes back. If your paperwork comes back unapproved, then I think you would have to sell the item to an individual and have your local dealer transfer it. Again, I think it's all up to the dealer on that one. </div></div>

Not true. You will be issued a refund. They can't take your money and no stamp

same boat here...i had one suppressor approved 12/6 and 2 more on 1/4 and still no papers for any of them yet

Sent in on July 7th, dealer called today and said Form 4 was here. Couldn't get there before they closed so I guess I'll help him open up Monday morning. Guess it's time to start the next one... or two
laugh.gif

What all info do you need to call and check on the status except for the serial number? Will they need the name of my trust or SOT's name?

serial number
and name in which it was filed under
sometimes they ask for your dealers name.

thanks, my 2 were sent first part of Aug. so I think I should be getting close.

NFA Item: Suppressor 45 cal
Form Type: Form 1
Transfer Type: LLC
Forms Sent: 01.13.12
Forms Received: ...
Pending Date: ...
Approved: ...
Received: ...
Examiner: ...

NFA Item: SAS 22 Suppressor
Form Type: Form 4
Transfer Type: LLC
Forms Sent: 01.13.12
Forms Received: ...
Pending Date: ...
Approved: ...
Received: ...
Examiner: ...

Now the shitty part...

They just hit August. Mine went pending August 8th and I received the call today. I should have two Ops Inc cans following in the next couple of weeks (in theory anyhow)

IMAG0011.jpg

I should have some love letters from S Jones real soon showing up in the mail! Come on sweetie I am waiting on ya...

My paper work was signed and in the mail 7-15
Check cashed 8-5
Approval stamped 12-21
Postmarked 12-23
Dealer called 1-13
Said it got mixed up in some mail that was put aside, going through cleaning up and found it.

Now waiting on a second one mailed 1-4-12. I expect it around 7-1-12

Jumper said:
I live in MI and I'm getting ready to submit my first Form 4. I want to do it right and I have a couple questions I couldnt find through a search:
- If I have to submit 2 copies of the application, are original signatures required on both copies?"

I ALWAYS do original signatures just to be sure cuz i dont want to give them any reason to kick em back cuz they are taking waaaayyyy too long anymore.

NFA item: AAC M4-1000
Form type: Trust
Transfer type: Individual
Forms sent: 1/1/12
Check cashed: 1/7/12
Pending date: 1/16/12
Approved date: 6/27/12
Forms received: ?
Examiner name: Albert Lamberger

So!!!! I called today to check on my suppressor once again!!!

I sent in my paperwork, $200.00 check, blah blah blah in mid July 2011. I called a couple of months ago and was told it went pending August 22nd and that it woud be 5 months from then for my stamp. Today they tell me they are now running at 6 months and i should have it by the end of February!!!!

July 13th - February 29th = 7 1/2 months!!!!!

Get real please!!!!!!! They work for us tax payers dont they??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakhamr81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They just hit August. Mine went pending August 8th and I received the call today. I should have two Ops Inc cans following in the next couple of weeks (in theory anyhow)

IMAG0011.jpg
</div></div>

Should not have looked at this have 2 went pending on the 8 of Aug. and 4 more went pending on the 12. I am going to act like this did not happen and go about my day.

NFA Item: Surefire MINI 556
Transfer type: form 4 trust
Mailed: 7/11/11
Delivered:7/13/11
Check cashed: 7/15/11
Pending: 7/22/11 (assigned to Kris Garrison)
Approved: 1/6/12 (signed by Shannon something?)
Received: 1/14/12
Picked up: 1/16/12

2012-01-16181920.jpg

My MP5SD can was approved today.

Check cashed 7/28/11 - not sure when it was put into official "pending" status.

I has been taking about 5 months it seems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LostinAr<span style="color: #FF0000"></div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">paid for 1/19/2010</span></span>
received at dealer june 2011
pending August 5th...............

still pending </div></div>

I hope that is a typo and you meant 1/19/2011....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Varmint Slayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LostinAr<span style="color: #FF0000"></div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">paid for 1/19/2010</span></span>

I hope that is a typo and you meant 1/19/2011.... </div></div>
No kidding,
I called today, weird though as one was done in mid April and it went pending Aug 24 along with two others from mid June, than my other three went pending Sept 4th, I forgot to ask who the examiner was though. So if they follow the norm, I should see them end of this month to mid Febuary?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mstennes</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Varmint Slayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LostinAr<span style="color: #FF0000"></div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">paid for 1/19/2010</span></span>

No kidding,
I called today weird as one was done in mid April and it went pending Aug 24 along with two others from mid June, than my other three went pending Sept 4th, I forgot to ask who the examiner was though. So if they follow the norm, I should see them end of this month to mid Febuary? </div></div>

How the hell do you pay for an NFA item <span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">1/19/2010</span></span></span> and your dealer not get it until a year and a half later? Was it something custom built or something? Just trying to understand the 1 1/2 year wait.

Sent mine off on August 10th. Called yesterday and they said it went pending August 22. Hope I have just a couple weeks left.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Varmint Slayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mstennes</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Varmint Slayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LostinAr<span style="color: #FF0000"></div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">paid for 1/19/2010</span></span>

No kidding,
I called today weird as one was done in mid April and it went pending Aug 24 along with two others from mid June, than my other three went pending Sept 4th, I forgot to ask who the examiner was though. So if they follow the norm, I should see them end of this month to mid Febuary? </div></div>

How the hell do you pay for an NFA item <span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">1/19/2010</span></span></span> and your dealer not get it until a year and a half later? Was it something custom built or something? Just trying to understand the 1 1/2 year wait. </div></div>

I ordered some now pending AWC's that took 7-9 months from the order to get into my ffl but the wait is going to be worth it! PG

varmit----long story short.....3months 6 months 8 months go by and the dealer keeps saying SWR is behind....I contact them and they say he hasn't made an order in over a year and that they have them on hand ready to ship....then he said he was moving the shop and so the atf put his transfers on hold.....then the class 3 dealer filed for bankruptcy, lawsuit, atf involved....btw they didn't revoke his license they claimed that was a matter for local authorities. I didn't get a suppressor until Henry Graham at SWR read my troubles on silencertalk and offered me one free after I scanned a copy of my receipt. So it took a while......the douche class 3 dealer got 57 people for about 62,000. Didn't have to pay anyone back......some justice

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LostinAr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">varmit----long story short.....3months 6 months 8 months go by and the dealer keeps saying SWR is behind....I contact them and they say he hasn't made an order in over a year and that they have them on hand ready to ship....then he said he was moving the shop and so the atf put his transfers on hold.....then the class 3 dealer filed for bankruptcy, lawsuit, atf involved....btw they didn't revoke his license they claimed that was a matter for local authorities. I didn't get a suppressor until Henry Graham at SWR read my troubles on silencertalk and offered me one free after I scanned a copy of my receipt. So it took a while......the douche class 3 dealer got 57 people for about 62,000. Didn't have to pay anyone back......some justice </div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LostinAr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Outta Austin Tx name is Chuck Tooke and he's a scumbag</div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LostinAr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and yeah it was 1/19/2010</div></div>

Wow. Your right that is a long story and that was probably a highly condensed version. That completely sucks man. I figured there had to be a story if the 2010 date was indeed what you meant to say. Glad SWR got you taken care of.

Ok I would like a little education on the whole form 4 wait time. I know that when I buy a suppressor I fill out the paper work, get my picture taken, write a check for 200$ give it to my class 3 and he mails it off. Then what happens? My question is in regard to why are we 5 months back logged. I know they are more than likely getting a TON of Form 4s to approve but what all does that involve? Do they just run me through the computer and if it tells them I am not a terrorist then I am approved? How long does it take, a week, a day? I would just like a little insight as to why we are 5 months back(excluding the fact they are not hiring more people to approve them)

whoo hoo- SAS came in to the state, and got the fingerprints, pictures, and chief's hancock, and sent it back out same day.

Now the wait i guess ?

This is my time line for the purchase of a suppressor.

04/18/2011: Applied for C & R License
06/15/2011: C & R License Arrives
NFA Item: 30P-1
Transfer Type: Form 4 Individual
06/20/2011: Brought Suppressor
07/12/2011: Dealer Transfer Completed
07/30/2011: Mailed Forms to Feds with Check
08/09/2011: Check Clears
01/14/2012: Approval

Hope to pick up the suppressor this weekend.

I need to mention that a C & R license is no longer required to purchase a suppressor in Missour now. That will shorten the time on any current purchases.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcwarrior87</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok I would like a little education on the whole form 4 wait time. I know that when I buy a suppressor I fill out the paper work, get my picture taken, write a check for 200$ give it to my class 3 and he mails it off. Then what happens? My question is in regard to why are we 5 months back logged. I know they are more than likely getting a TON of Form 4s to approve but what all does that involve? Do they just run me through the computer and if it tells them I am not a terrorist then I am approved? How long does it take, a week, a day? I would just like a little insight as to why we are 5 months back(excluding the fact they are not hiring more people to approve them) </div></div>

This should explain it for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Amarament</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> As I understand the process (which could be correct or not),
1 the paperwork goes to Atlanta where the ATF cashes checks. (7-21 days here [mail/sorting/backlog/waiting for checks to clear]).
2 the paperwork gets put in a pile until ATF has a freight load of mail (2-4 weeks)
3 Mail is then trucked to Martinsburg (the NFA branch) [2 days]
4 Mail hits a sorting room at martinsburg and is sorted [3-14days]
5 Mail hits the examiners mailbox where it might sit for 2-4 weeks
6 fingerprint cards and passport photos get sent to the FBI? [1 week to get there and get sorted,3-4 weeks to process the background check]
7 fingerprint cards come back to martinsburg (1 week mail and sorting)
8 examiner approves paperwork and returns mail to SOT (14 days).

That's 22 weeks divide by 4 and you're at 5.5 months. It's actually taking ~6 months for individual form 4's so I've obviously been optimistic. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Varmint Slayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcwarrior87</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok I would like a little education on the whole form 4 wait time. I know that when I buy a suppressor I fill out the paper work, get my picture taken, write a check for 200$ give it to my class 3 and he mails it off. Then what happens? My question is in regard to why are we 5 months back logged. I know they are more than likely getting a TON of Form 4s to approve but what all does that involve? Do they just run me through the computer and if it tells them I am not a terrorist then I am approved? How long does it take, a week, a day? I would just like a little insight as to why we are 5 months back(excluding the fact they are not hiring more people to approve them) </div></div>

This should explain it for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Amarament</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> As I understand the process (which could be correct or not),
1 the paperwork goes to Atlanta where the ATF cashes checks. (7-21 days here [mail/sorting/backlog/waiting for checks to clear]).
2 the paperwork gets put in a pile until ATF has a freight load of mail (2-4 weeks)
3 Mail is then trucked to Martinsburg (the NFA branch) [2 days]
4 Mail hits a sorting room at martinsburg and is sorted [3-14days]
5 Mail hits the examiners mailbox where it might sit for 2-4 weeks
6 fingerprint cards and passport photos get sent to the FBI? [1 week to get there and get sorted,3-4 weeks to process the background check]
7 fingerprint cards come back to martinsburg (1 week mail and sorting)
8 examiner approves paperwork and returns mail to SOT (14 days).

That's 22 weeks divide by 4 and you're at 5.5 months. It's actually taking ~6 months for individual form 4's so I've obviously been optimistic. </div></div> </div></div>

Can anyone outline the process for a trust transfer?

You have a better chance of getting a signature on your welfare check and food stamp approval than your form 4. That part of the government has no problem processing paperwork.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot.onehit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TBAC 338P-1
TBAC 30P-1
Sent 7/5/11
Cashed 7/08/11
Pending 7/26/11
Approved 12/20/11
Examiner: Jason Frashour

Awaiting mail delivery

</div></div>
Picked up cans and Approved Form 4s today

update, pending july 21 , returned for a error on the form 4, on a trust,approved ?, got to my sot today 1/25/2012.

So is it true, it takes 8-12 weeks for a dealer to get a can from the Manufacturer? How can this be possible lol?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So is it true, it takes 8-12 weeks for a dealer to get a can from the Manufacturer? How can this be possible lol?</div></div>

depends... last 2 I got in took 3 weeks for the form 3s... if it takes much longer than that, it's not the NFA branch slowing it down