• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Getting M40 Project Kicked Off

cwood3

Private
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2010
Spring, TX
Starting a M40 "clone". Have 1965 Rem. 700 action. Came with an ADL stock so I may use it. Also have 700P walnut stock in the works. I plan to reserve that stock for when I finish my duplicator build and use it as my "master" pattern for future builds (I like wood stocks and plan to incorporate a Whidden aluminum bedding block in the design).

Main concern right now is that the action was for a .222Rem, hence, I need to get hold of a bolt with .473" face. I'd like a stock Rem. bolt, but may go with a PT&G bolt and use my existing bolt handle. Looking at a Kreiger 11.25-twist barrel in chrome-moly as I intend to Parkerize. Optics are up in the air at this time (I hate making scope decisions).

I'll trade my bolt for a .473" bolt......hmmm....OK, I'd buy one outright.....any takers??

Thanks,

curtis

Re: Getting M40 Project Kicked Off

Curtis
Many think that just switching bolts in a 222/223 action is the only thing needed. The feed rail difference it never mentioned so don't know if I am just unlucky and everybody else's works or what the deal is. I purchased a new SS short action assuming it was off a standard bolt face caliber as I had a new stainless bolt. Well the action was from a 223. I built up a 6x47 Lapua on the action. It would not feed reliably 1/2 the time. I did some polishing and removed some material off feed rails and now it will cycle the 6x47L round about 85% of the time.

If you have one of each to compare it is plain to see the feed rail difference between a 222/223 action and a 22/250/243/308 action. Hopefully yours will work but I had no luck with mine as it was and would never try to make it work again. But then again I am so lucky I can go to a free lunch and end up with the hemlich manuver before I am done
smile.gif

Re: Getting M40 Project Kicked Off

I'm not real worried about that as most of the shooting I do is 1 round at a time. All my other guns are single shots. I'll check it out though. I also have a M40A1 project following right behind this one.......then the A3.........then the AK.....AR......1911........yeesh!