• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gun safe recommendations

Nooch13

In Hoc Signo Vinces
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
Ocala, FL
Not sure if this is the right forum, but I am looking for a large gunsafe and I’m looking for recommendations. I was trying to stay under a thousand or so and was thinking of this. Also, any delivery tips??? How the hell do you load, unload and get in the house safely

a safe mover can put it in the house easily, just like someone take it out just as easily if you dont bolt it down. Here is a recent discussion

costco has a pretty large cannon safe on sale now, <$1000. it's no ft knox but for the money not bad. they delivered and brought it inside my garage with a pallet jack. i moved/pushed it into place with my tractor (could use car/truck). bolted to concrete floor and the wall, it ain't going anywhere, but someone could most likely get in in a few minutes with an angle grinder.

i have a much sturdier ft knox safe in basement. trucked it in and then rolled it on pvc tubes around the side of house and down the hall.

I view safes as more of a deterrent to opportunistic thieves. I looked at the gamut of safed from the low end, which I recieved as a gift, to the very high end, and I decided that I'm better off carrying a nice insurance policy, a quality alarm system, and the safe I already have, than buying a $10k+ 1/2" or greater steel safe that a torch or cutting wheel can still make pretty short work of. $10k staying invested will pay my insurance policy for life.

If you don’t use a safe mover, which I now recommend after moving one up a flight of stairs solo, you can remove the door then move the body and door separately. You’ll need a heavy duty dolly with strap(s), two or three guys, plywood on moving blankets to protect tile or softer wood floors. For stairs there is an electric stair climbing dolly (rental) which looks magical in the video, and will give you a workout if you decide to run it on your own. Otherwise, an HD dolly and three guys with strong backs is faster and easier. One other thing, for wood construction stairs, make sure they are sufficiently braced for a safe, dolly and three guys.

The safe you indicate via link is 31” min dimension. Check your doors/door frames to make sure your path is wide enough for that.

@Nooch13

Here is the kind of thing you are looking for. New is not the way to go with safes. This thing is easy to move. I have moved many bigger than this. I can help you with how to do it if you decide to buy it. A can of red oxide paint, and a can of your choice color paint from Home Depot and it will look new. It will perform WAY better than anything new that you can touch for 1K

I am somewhat of a safe snob and an amateur safe expert. I have been around and moved so many and helped my friend who OEMs safes so I do know a good bit. Let me know how I can help.