• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Help

astrohound24

Private
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2012
Hello everyone, my name is Greg. I just recently got into long range shooting and I need help diagnosing something. I have been shooting tight groups with my rifle which is a 700 SPS action mated to a HS Precision stock. I have put 57 rounds through thus far and have yet to have a group measure over an inch and have shot on average 1/4 MOA so far, but I have one problem. After I shoot a good group of three, my groups seem to move around the target. I will fire a series of shots and I will have a tight group, and then either on the same day or next time I go out, the group will move. Today I shot slightly right about an inch to the right from where I was shooting last time I was out, so I adjust my scope and get back to center, and then maybe a group or two later, it will be off again, but again, wherever it moved, it groups tight. I did this today and walked all over the place and then adjusted it before it got to dark to shoot. I was back on center, and the last group measured 1/4 inch. This is frustrating. I wonder if it is just me screwing up but I also worried that my scope is doing weird things? I have a Super Sniper 10 x 42 mounted on a TPS rail and using Super Sniper rings. I checked all my screws and everything is tight. I just don't see how I can shoot tight groups and all of a sudden be off an inch or two in some whacky direction, and then adjust my scope back to center and shoot good again, and then all of a sudden be screwed up again. I am using a bipod up front and a Caldwell bag holding the rear. I also checked the action screws and they are still torqued to 65 inch pounds. Maybe I should mount the gun on a good rest or sled to see if it is just me? I know this sounds crazy but any ideas? Thanks!

Greg

Re: Help

Couple of things come to mind right away.

Wind? Are you keeping track of the conditions between sessions and groups? Probably not a big change at close distances but is a possibility.

Parallax, make sure it is set for the distance you are shooting.

Along with that make certain you have the same cheek weld each time and align yourself directly behind the rifle so recoil will be consistent.

All those could account for small changes in your point of impact and your groups staying tight.

You guys probably just diagnosed my issues there because those are things I have not been paying attention to! The wind I have paid attention to a little and we have had a lot of off and on wind lately with gusts sometimes, but I was not sure how high wind had to be to be a factor at 100 yards. I will get up in the morning and work on those things and the cheek weld and parallax. Like I said, I am new and I guess it shows, but I am very happy with the groups and my rifle. At least that much I have done ok with. Also, I did shoot two different types of match ammo today, 168 grain Remington Premeir Match BTHP and my guns favorite of 168 grain Federal Sierra Gold Medal Match BTHP. Thanks guys! I am learning as I go but I am definitely green. Thanks again!

Greg

Also, I will note today that I was shooting with my gun and the bags off the back of my car and I was not positioned directly behind the rifle like I should have been. These things you guys pointed out will help me greatly, I know it. Thanks again! I am also going to get on ground tomorrow and shoot prone. Try new things. Thanks.

Greg

Check your action screws as well. If they are not tight enough it can bounce around a bit. If its a bone stock out of the box rifle, there are a couple other things to check too.

Is the barrel touching the stock?

Bed the action to the stock using one of several methods here. (wnroscoe has a really good article on this)

Shooter induced flinch? Find out by dry firing and see if it happens.

Recoil lug may be bouncing (bottom contact with the stock). Solved by proper bedding and torque of the action screws.

The ammo you are using has a good rep. I wouldnt be bent on that being the problem.

Pick up a good torque wrench in lb/in and make sure that your action, base, and ring screws are all properly set. Bedding the scope base has some contraversey as to its necessity, but it cant hurt. Any binding, moving, flexing or twisting in the optics can cause things to change as well. Same goes for the action itself. If everything is tight in its place, and stress free, then there will be little to no change in you shots aside from environmental factors like wind, temp, ect.

You don't think heat is causing this? Start out at one setting and keep it there and notice where your groups are going as you shoot your groups. Then do it again with the same settings another day with similar atmospherics and see how they compare.

Refreshing to see a shooter posting a question and getting excellent responses with very helpful information. Makes for interesting reading and learning for everyone.

To the original poster, if you fill out your profile you might find others in your area and get an invite to join in for some long range practice and info sharing.

Topstrap

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Napsters</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Here are a few videos LowLight did that may help. You may want to look up his YouTube account (shlowlight)and watch his videos.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3UZ-mApuUoM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FVYHIXra4rA
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S8-zTfStha4

</div></div>

AI makes some quality stuff (barrels completely stress relieved). I have seen quality sporter barrels impact poa when getting hot and I've seen some not so quality barrels that start climbing when just getting warmed up. So by those videos you're saying they should always act similar to the AIs?

Hello everyone. I will fill out my info and I live in Western Kentucky. I am headed to the range today and you guys are great. So much good information! I will let you guys know how it turns out.

Greg