• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hey western Montana folks

Try living through this influx dipshit then run the mouth.
We really haven't seen it where I am, but the populated areas are really getting killed. I don't notice that the people coming in suck that badly, but who knows. I imagine the shitty ones won't last a hard winter.

We have been here 2 weeks and I get it.

It’s one reason I wanted outside the immediate area a bit.
That area you are looking at is going to be one of the biggest refugee camps. Along with Ravalli.

T
That area you are looking at is going to be one of the biggest refugee camps. Along with Ravalli.
There is nothing for sale around ravalli but what is is beyond reasonably priced.
IMO

T

There is nothing for sale around ravalli but what is is beyond reasonably priced.
IMO
I try not to go down there, but I am not surprised. Not really my scene.

I would not buy around there.

lol

I’m pretty sure I just told the people wanting to buy our house to fuck off if they can’t give us a day or two to get things in line.

Seemed inconsiderate being it’s Sunday and and everything is closed.
🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
You may just need to regroup. Get your cash in hand, put your stuff in storage, get your kids into the school system you prefer and become more ingrained into the neighborhood where you will hear all of the "word of mouth" about properties coming onto the market. Your competition is tough in that area.

T

IMO
Ravalli County is a "Bedroom Community" to Missoula. Folks work the high paying jobs in Missoula and drive to the many Bedroom Communities. Similar to the Bay Area, Seattle, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Boston, etc.... Just how it is.

Ravalli County is a "Bedroom Community" to Missoula. Folks work the high paying jobs in Missoula and drive to the many Bedroom Communities. Similar to the Bay Area, Seattle, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Boston, etc.... Just how it is.
It is definitely like those places. I agree.

Funny. I read you original diatribe and immediately thought “Texas”. Oklahoma is close enough. Get back to your bbq and pretentious thinking patterns of how we’re doing it all wrong out here. 👍🏻

Funny. I read you original diatribe and immediately thought “Texas”. Oklahoma is close enough. Get back to your bbq and pretentious thinking patterns of how we’re doing it all wrong out here. 👍🏻
Where are you in MT?

Hahahaha lol eat a dick and keep bitching about every person that wants to move to your state. How's that been working out for you guys really keepin em out huh 🤣. News flash you have no say who moves to MT unless it's on the land you own. 👍

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Discontinuing our search and pulling our home off the market.

Anything other than that out my family as risk or astronomically expensive.

Last ditch effort before leaving this weekend.

Going to check out south of Missoula.

Hamilton/Darby.

Please throw a prayer in our direction for wisdom and guidance. We will be putting an offer on a home today right after we view it.
The home has absolutely everything we would want or need except a detached building. It is in the area which would be our first choice, has the layout we want, needs nothing done to it and is on a great lot. It truly is perfect.

Thanks to all those that has helped us along this journey.

E

No joy. The home we bid on went 75-100k over asking price. The asking price was at or just over appraisal.

Think about that for a second. Someone just put down 135k-165k for financing and an additional 75-100k to cover the difference. Or the whole amount out of pocket.

We are going to wait until fall to see if things calm down any before we try again.

Thanks everyone.

eca7891

After you have decompressed.... Please share what you discovered / learned over the past few months. The information you gathered could have only been done first hand. Lots of things on the Internet don't pan out in real life when a person arrives on site.

Thanks

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: MJF and eca7891
Montana Current Market and Challenges:
Perhaps it would be wise for a little background on our motivation for moving before I begin this. I will also be using generalities throughout. YMMV
The last straw that motivated this search was our state and local school system. The amount of horror I witnessed over the last year was life changing for us. The home schooling via the districts remote online school was an opportunity to observe first hand to what is actually taking place in our schools. Actually, it goes back before this but that is another story.
The criteria for us are:

1.A solid school system. We used the ratings from a few sites to gather this information.
2. The number of stores along with the sizes to offer choices for our family to choose.
3. Topography of the area.
4. Layout of the town/city
5. Recreational activates
6. Internet connectivity

City Overviews

I’ll start this section to say that we visited Helena on a previous trip. On this trip we made the Kalispell are base camp for our outings.

Helena- See the previous post in this thread. I’ll add that most internet options in this area is provided via cellular from the local towers throughout the area. There are other options there but cellular is the most prevalent that would meet our needs. The housing market there seems more normal compared to the areas below.
Flathead Valley Region-
The Flathead Valley lies between two mountain ranges in the Rockies. The terrain is flat in the valley with many trees and greenery. The mountain terrain is generally steeper than other areas we have been to. The opportunity to hike and drive forestry roads are nearly endless. The same can be said for any winter activities. Deer and turkeys were the prevalent wildlife we saw this area. We did see a small number of elk on our trip but the overall terrain would suggest this is not the ideal area for them. Any city you choose in this general area will require.....Drastic measures in order to purchase a home. Storage is none existing. Rentals are none existing. Housing we will says is none existing*. “In order to be competitive in this market you will be required to do one of two things.”

1.Sell your existing home and...
1a. Live with friends/family and travel to this area to visit homes while hoping it is still there when you arrive.
1b. You could live in a camper around the area in which you are looking. ( We meet someone doing this.) This would speed up the process of you actually getting to the home you are interested in viewing. (It may sell before you get there. It happened to us.)
1.c You could do the video walkthrough option but that is almost like buying it sight unseen. Realtors hate this option but it seems some people actually do this. (We meet a couple that went this route.)
2. Be able to pay cash outright. This is the preferred method. There is no appraisal so...Buyer beware! (An insane thought to me.)

Side notes:
If you are going to finance use a local bank. The local bank uses local appraisers. This may help the appraisal process. National lenders may have someone outside the area come in to appraise it. They would be less familiar with the local markets. If you think you are going to make a contingent offer you will be laughed at. It flat out will not be accepted. We had multiple standing offers for our home above listed price and it still put us at a disadvantage. Expect to put a large amount of earnest money down. 2%-3% isn't going to cut it.
If by some miracle you do finance and get your offer accepted brace yourself. It is doubtful it will meet appraisal and you will be expected to pay the difference out of pocket. OH, another little bonus, loan limits! For a conventional conforming the loan limit for that area is about $548,000. Anything above that and expect a min of 25% down and a higher interest rate.

Kalispell- This is the “major city” in this area. I actually didn’t mind the Kalispell area. The city offers us the store choices for our needs. It seemed to have most of what we would ever want. It seemed to be a normal city. It offered above average schoo l choices. If we chose to live here it would have to be on the very outskirts. It offers access to an international airport. It is a smaller airport with a surprising amount of air traffic. Nothing weird or out of the ordinary to report here. Seemed and looked somewhat conservative

Whitefish- This is a very nice-looking city. Many small shops and nice neighborhoods. Very clean in the areas we were visited. A very touristy feel about it as well. It seems like it would be quiet in the off season, if there is one. You would most likely go to Kalispell for your shopping needs. A spectacular dog park in this city, which we visited it numerous times. (a good place to gather intel) The area offers a really nice ski area. This is the area that is turning into the next Vail, Colorado. It is the playground for the rich and the home prices reflect it. The poos drive Land Rovers, BMW and Mercedes. It's not the place for us. A liberal hub which came equipped with its own one person raging lib sign in hand on the street corner.

Surrounding cities/suburbs-
Columbia Falls- more of an urban vibe to it. Nice in the outskirts
Lakeside, Somers, Big Fork- All lakeside towns each with their own vibe and character. Some more touristy of a feel than others. We would probably land somewhere in here.

The southern portion of the valley is an Indian Reservation. Polson, Ronan, Charlo etc.

Big trip 1

From Kalispell-Eureka-Libby through the Cabinet Mts and back.
Awesome drive to the small border town of Eureka. Eureka is what I would think a typical border town would be. I would not meet our needs but it was an awesome drive. We stopped along the lake by Rexford to let the dogs run some and stretch our legs. It was a camp site with some overgrown grass. There was no one there and it was very relaxing. We spent about an hour the letting the kids and dogs run around. Definitely a place I would boondock. Libby I can remember much about so I’ll assume average small town that is larger than Eureka. 4 national forests on that trip if I recall.

Big trip 2, The Last Ditch Effort

Kalispell-Big Fork-Polson-Ravalli-Shithole-Stevensville-Hamalton
Let's start “ No Go” zones for us. Southern flathead lake to the southern county line of Missoula County. I’ll just let it be at that.

Stevensville- It was ok but not what we are looking for. It has too much of a hustle and bustle feel to it. IE too close to shit central
Hamilton- A return to a normal feel. A bigger small town. It felt like a scaled down version of Helena minus the oddness one could find there. And less stores of course. Terrain was similar to Helna in our views. We could make it work but was not the wife's first choice.

Probably more than what you were looking for but you asked a very broad question. I am sure I left a lot out but that covers much of the relevant information.

Finding reliable and acceptable internet is an extreme challenge in the above areas. Hopefully Elon will solve this issue.

If I didn't have kids and could talk my wife into it I would have went with the 160+ acres totally off grid around Marion.:rolleyes:

eca7891

Thank you....... We are living times where "word of mouth" means a lot more than the propaganda on the Internet.....
Everything runs in a cycle... Hopefully the cycle improves for "We the People".

Hobo

Reactions: AXEFORCE6
Housing market is just crazy across the state. Bozeman, missoula, Kalispell have listing times of less than 30 days. You can’t even get a loan closed in that time so that is telling me these are majority cash offers. Other major areas are seeing similar time on market decreases. Piles of out of state buyers second homes and investment properties. Locals are being priced out and construction costs have doubled. State regulations have made it much harder on subdivision approvals and cost so lots alone have sky rocketed. For a contractor to make a profit generally the land has to be about a quarter of the total cost to construct. In the past $20-40k could get you a 5 acre rural lot now they are $100k+. Easy to do the math on final price. The change in the last 10 years is extreme here. My loan officers are doing 10+ pre approvals on the same property and that is just our bank. Crazy times

Housing market is just crazy across the state. Bozeman, missoula, Kalispell have listing times of less than 30 days. You can’t even get a loan closed in that time so that is telling me these are majority cash offers. Other major areas are seeing similar time on market decreases. Piles of out of state buyers second homes and investment properties. Locals are being priced out and construction costs have doubled. State regulations have made it much harder on subdivision approvals and cost so lots alone have sky rocketed. For a contractor to make a profit generally the land has to be about a quarter of the total cost to construct. In the past $20-40k could get you a 5 acre rural lot now they are $100k+. Easy to do the math on final price. The change in the last 10 years is extreme here. My loan officers are doing 10+ pre approvals on the same property and that is just our bank. Crazy times
Blackstone Real Estate Income Trust is on a buying spree... Paying above asking price in cash... Turning properties into rental units. Using other people's money (Pension funds, Insurance companies, sovereign wealth funds).... The question is - "Can they corner the market?"....

Blackstone Real Estate Income Trust is on a buying spree... Paying above asking price in cash... Turning properties into rental units. Using other people's money (Pension funds, Insurance companies, sovereign wealth funds).... The question is - "Can they corner the market?"....

Your post is, as always, utter madness.

Reactions: camotoe
So a couple of more things to keep in mind for those thinking of an interstate move.

A reputable nationality recognized moving company charges about 25k to move your stuff. That’s not a typo. If you wait until sept or later it’s 14k.

For those prices we would rent a uhaul and drive our stuff, fly back and grab our vehicles and remainder of property and still save a ton of cash. Maybe buy 2 covered trailers, move everything then sell them there and save even more.

And then there is this.

https://flatheadbeacon.com/2021/06/...e9ZR3t_AYQYkVsVkIaMYUczq_x8pNnCj-tgoSA8oQ8S2o

Plenty of now hiring signs around there. Problem is you will need to work 6 of them and still not be able to buy a home.

Drought, heat driving up power prices for some Montanans​

But won't see the bill until next year

“Other than having rolling blackouts, there is nothing we can do but pay the price.”

That off grid thing is looking better isn’t it.

That off grid thing is looking better isn’t it.
We witnessed the grid fiasco in Texas recently. There have been many warnings about how fragile the entire grid has become. Average firewood is running around $200 / cord, gasoline and diesel are around $3.25 / gallon, natural gas is only available in certain areas so that boils down to using propane for heating... Setting up to be an interesting winter.

Biblical:

BILLINGS, Mont. —
A punishing drought in the U.S. West is drying up waterways, sparking wildfires and leaving farmers scrambling for water. Next up: a plague of voracious grasshoppers.

March 26, 2020
A typical infestation can remove 20% of forage from the range and have a $900-million impact, according to a 2012 University of Wyoming study cited by federal officials.
At his ranch, not far from the Charles M. Russell National Wildlife Refuge, Wiederrick is preparing to sell up to 70% of his cows this summer because he fears they won’t have enough feed.

The federal government’s grasshopper program dates to the 1930s, when infestations covered millions of acres in 17 western states. After local efforts failed, Congress put the agriculture department in charge of controlling the insects on federal rangeland.
The last outbreak on a scale comparable to this year lasted from 1986 to 1988. Almost 20 million acres were treated with 1.3 million gallons of malathion, according to researchers.

• Haha
Reactions: Choid
If you are headed this way.... Bring more than bear spray

This is very close to me, and most of the people involved in the investigation, the town and the aftermath are friends. People are idiots, and grizzlies are dangerous. Not sure anything less than a suicide vest would have stopped that bear, knowing a bit about the circumstances.

Well, once the newcomers get here. Remind yourselves that you're an experienced outdoors person and get out there and enjoy all that space. Preferably by yourself. Oh, not much cell phone service or internet available-you'll be fine. No need for safety gear, the buddy system, or an established route/plan. 'Nah, you got it!

I'm starting to believe the majority of the people showing up in Montana just got a wild hair and said "let's go to Montana".... Quite a few legitimate folks arrived and started construction on new houses...... An interesting phenomenon to observe... It will get real interesting when the government money runs out about the time winter sets in.

An example of the majority:

Attachments

• IMG_4612.JPG
    IMG_4612.JPG
    168 KB · Views: 91
Reactions: WaltHer
Hopefully that will push prices down done as well.

I'm starting to believe the majority of the people showing up in Montana just got a wild hair and said "let's go to Montana".... Quite a few legitimate folks arrived and started construction on new houses...... An interesting phenomenon to observe... It will get real interesting when the government money runs out about the time winter sets in.

An example of the majority:
Tons of these down in BozeAngeles now. Thanks to the 9th circuit, they can just park their pieces of shit about anywhere on "public land" and camp out for a while. Even on public streets. It's unreal. I am praying for a brutal winter this year, hopefully insanely cold. We had one here in 96-97 and it was tough to take, even being from the area. Hopefully that will help some folks rethink how bad they really wanna live here.

Here's a deal for some free money:

3,200 apply for return-to-work bonuses

HELENA — Gov. Greg Gianforte’s administration announced a measure in May seeking to encourage Montanans to reenter the labor force.

The program established $1,200 return-to-work bonuses for people who were on unemployment but took a job and maintained it at least four weeks.

Open invite for you folks out west to come visit Minnesota.

Feel free to take your smoke, haze and wildfires back with you.

😂👍

Open invite for you folks out west to come visit Minnesota.

Feel free to take your smoke, haze and wildfires back with you.

😂👍
Well.... If they can't make it now... January will be a great time to come for a visit and take some snow back... Praying for a hard winter... LOL

Billings, Mont., is the new No. 1 on The Wall Street Journal/Realtor.com Emerging Housing Markets Index, boosted by its affordability and appeal to remote workers.

It's so busy in these parts thats homes are usually on the market for 12-24 hours, selling over asking price, and foregoing inspections. Plus, it's the hottest summer in the last 5 years. There are no mountains or bubbling creeks nearby; if there were they'd be burned up. Plus Billings is a dirty refinery town. At this time I can't recommend moving near Billings-especially with North Dakota being so close.

It's so busy in these parts thats homes are usually on the market for 12-24 hours, selling over asking price, and foregoing inspections. Plus, it's the hottest summer in the last 5 years. There are no mountains or bubbling creeks nearby; if there were they'd be burned up. Plus Billings is a dirty refinery town. At this time I can't recommend moving near Billings-especially with North Dakota being so close.
It just gives you an idea of how bad the shit holes were where these people are coming from.... and how much they are willing to pay to leave a shit hole.... Strange times. The boom times never continue.... Look out when the bust times arrive.

Billings, Mont., is the new No. 1 on The Wall Street Journal/Realtor.com Emerging Housing Markets Index, boosted by its affordability and appeal to remote workers.

Billings was not on my list. I’m guessing these people have maybe never actually been there?

I will say that 2 out of the 5 are on my list.

Bad news for me I’m guessing.

But I am confident that patience will be rewarded.

Last edited: