• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hey western Montana folks

Billings was not on my list. I’m guessing these people have maybe never actually been there?

I will say that 2 out of the 5 are on my list.

Bad news for me I’m guessing.

But I am confident that patience will be rewarded.
Patience.... A boom has never lasted. I understand 2 years is a long time to "wait it out" but, from memory, I had to work some crappy little 40 hour construction (maintenance) jobs in ship yards, refineries or building logging equipment to tide me over in the past. My theme word for the current times is maintain.

Reactions: camotoe
This thread makes me sad. I really enjoyed the summer I spent logging up near St. Ignatius circa 1975. Good hard working folks. Ive always wanted to get back through and look a couple of them up.

This thread makes me sad. I really enjoyed the summer I spent logging up near St. Ignatius circa 1975. Good hard working folks. Ive always wanted to get back through and look a couple of them up.
Makes me sad, too........ I traveled and worked all over America on large industrial projects.... Got to know grass roots, hard working people. It has all changed.

We just rolled on to home about 4 hours ago on vacation. Montana was a big part of it and has been for several years. A few observations that I have:

A few years ago my teenage sons thought the Darby girls soccer team was doing a nice job washing our Jeep for their fund raiser. 😂

Montana drought is real. As well as the smoke. Their wheat crop is dead and the grass is nonexistant. Went to Roosville and I swear I have never seen it so dry. Trees looked like they were dying.

Kalispel, White Fish, Glacier, etc. are absolute dumps. Philipsburg is nice. Saw a beautiful functioning ranch southwest of of town. Later that fall stumbled on it on the internet for sale. Wish I could have afforded it.

In the future if I can swing it I would like to get a place at Wisdom or Jackson. The Big Hole Valley for me is absolutley stunning. However the Wind River country in Wyoming might get me instead. Debois, Wyoming is nice. I figure that it is changing for the worse before I can get there. On a side note the National Military Vehicle Museum is now open and is phenominal. A must see. Plan at least 4 hours.

Don't spend overnight camping in an rv at Hardin. It is to dangerous due to the Crow Rez.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hobo Hilton
The drought has created a shortage of hay. Agriculture Department has opened a site for people to buy / sell hay.

I'm dumping water on my garden several times a day and the leaves on some of my veggies are rolling up from the dry atmosphere and smoke...

The drought has created a shortage of hay. Agriculture Department has opened a site for people to buy / sell hay.

I'm dumping water on my garden several times a day and the leaves on some of my veggies are rolling up from the dry atmosphere and smoke...
The smoke was so bad that we literally couldn't see the mountains. This is all over the state. Wyoming is not as bad. Here in Oklahoma they say the smoke will be back next week. It is going to be detrimental to our fall crops. The crops are going to be fighting for enough heat units and sun to finish. I think we are getting ready to see a world wide food shortage.

The smoke was so bad that we literally couldn't see the mountains. This is all over the state. Wyoming is not as bad. Here in Oklahoma they say the smoke will be back next week. It is going to be detrimental to our fall crops. The crops are going to be fighting for enough heat units and sun to finish. I think we are getting ready to see a world wide food shortage.
Anyone that thinks we will have a "food supply chain" like we had in the past is living in a world of denial. I'm guessing that less than 3% of American's can grow / raise enough food to simply sustain their own family.

Attachments

• IMG_4821.JPG
    IMG_4821.JPG
    468.4 KB · Views: 56
Reactions: Shanghai McCoy
Did you look in the Troy or Libby area? Or even as far as Bonners Ferry or Sandpoint? The prices have gone way up but there is still availability.

We just rolled on to home about 4 hours ago on vacation. Montana was a big part of it and has been for several years. A few observations that I have:

A few years ago my teenage sons thought the Darby girls soccer team was doing a nice job washing our Jeep for their fund raiser. 😂

Montana drought is real. As well as the smoke. Their wheat crop is dead and the grass is nonexistant. Went to Roosville and I swear I have never seen it so dry. Trees looked like they were dying.

Kalispel, White Fish, Glacier, etc. are absolute dumps. Philipsburg is nice. Saw a beautiful functioning ranch southwest of of town. Later that fall stumbled on it on the internet for sale. Wish I could have afforded it.

In the future if I can swing it I would like to get a place at Wisdom or Jackson. The Big Hole Valley for me is absolutley stunning. However the Wind River country in Wyoming might get me instead. Debois, Wyoming is nice. I figure that it is changing for the worse before I can get there. On a side note the National Military Vehicle Museum is now open and is phenominal. A must see. Plan at least 4 hours.

Don't spend overnight camping in an rv at Hardin. It is to dangerous due to the Crow Rez.
Lol camping in Hardin you’re lucky to be able to still post on here

So the search begins on where to start the new homestead. We will be heading to the Kalispell, Montana area this summer and are looking for some recommendations on campgrounds. We will be spending a month in the area so we see if it’s a good fit for us.
It doesn’t have to be anything fancy but it would be a huge plus if it had internet. My wife can work remote so a connection via wi-fi would save some vacation time.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Go back where you came from or stay where you are, either works as long as you do not move from California.

Was about to start another thread on this, but wife and I heading to Glacier at beginning of SEPT for a quick 4 day trip.

Any and all local recommendations welcome.

Anyone that thinks we will have a "food supply chain" like we had in the past is living in a world of denial. I'm guessing that less than 3% of American's can grow / raise enough food to simply sustain their own family.
I have zero doubt in your statement. My wife and I went out for dinner last week, we do this about once a year. The restaurant was packed in mid afternoon. The entire time we were in there all I thought about was all these people have no chance if anything major happens.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Go back where you came from or stay where you are, either works as long as you do not move from California.
I’m guessing this is suppose to be a negative comment towards me and my family. If so then you can eat a bag of dicks.

My families comes before your opinion.

I am just starting my first cup of coffee this morning so if I misunderstood the above please ignore it.

Go down to Flat Head Lake and enjoy the cherries.... The season is now. Many road side stands.
I’ll add to this.
I believe just south of Bigfork is a little dive on the side of the road. It’s a burger joint “ Home of the Flathead Monster”. Stop there and have lunch.

You are welcome in advance.

Reactions: chrome
A little insight to things going on in the cities here.

I grew up( southside) there but after my time in service moved around a lot ended up in SD
Hope you find a place you plie but anything is better than Mpls. NOW

Got to be tough to live here:

Flash Flood Watch​

Flood Watch
National Weather Service Missoula MT
1245 PM MDT Sat Jul 31 2021

MTZ001>004-007-043-020300-
/O.EXA.KMSO.FF.A.0001.210801T1800Z-210802T0300Z/
/00000.0.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/
Kootenai/Cabinet Region-West Glacier Region-Flathead/Mission Valleys-
Lower Clark Fork Region-Butte/Blackfoot Region-Potomac/Seeley Lake
Region-
1245 PM MDT Sat Jul 31 2021

...FLASH FLOOD WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH SUNDAY
EVENING...

The National Weather Service in Missoula has expanded the

* Flash Flood Watch to include portions of northwest Montana and
west central Montana, including the following areas, in northwest
Montana, Mission Valley. In west central Montana, Lower Clark Fork
Region and Potomac/Seeley Lake Region.

Maybe they will open a Middle Eastern Restaurant.... Maybe not

By: Hannah Hislop

Posted at 4:15 PM, Aug 20, 2021

and last updated 4:17 PM, Aug 20, 2021

MISSOULA — The International Rescue Committee (IRC) in Missoula is doing what it can to help the thousands of people fleeing from Afghanistan to the United States amidst civil unrest.
The IRC in Missoula posted on Facebook saying that the United States started relocating Afghan Special Immigrant Visa (SIV) applicants to the US and one of the resettlement locations is Missoula.

Part of the IRC in Missoula’s job is to provide services such as housing, enrolling refugee children in school and helping provide job resources to refugee families.
The IRC is looking for donations of new or gently used furniture, new mattresses as well as smaller household items like lamps and kitchen appliances.

• Angry
Reactions: Milf Dots
I moved to Montana from New Mexico in 1991. My parents worked for the government when we got there and I joined the military from there a couple of years later.

Everytime I go through there today I think about how nice it is that all the people from California, Colorado, Washington and Oregon that spent their lives fucking up those states go to find a new state to screw up.

Idaho seems to have a better shit filter on new immigrants.

Having lived all over the USA, and multiple places globally Europe, Africa and Australia I have to come to see that Montana is not alone in attracting shit birds.

We are currently in New Mexico, this place is a shitbird magnet of the highest order.

Western Montana's has the problem of not being as cold or windy as Wyoming, and having a little better scenery (as most of Wyoming is a high desert). So this keeps those Coloradans driving straight through to Bozoland, Missoula and Kalispel.

If the wind ever stopped blowing in Wyoming that fucking place would be full.

Seems there is a wide gap in listing prices. Done have come down to more reasonable while others are really out of touch with reality.

Seems there is a wide gap in listing prices. Done have come down to more reasonable while others are really out of touch with reality.
Heading into winter........ Those cutting prices hope to get it sold, have some money and head to warmer climates. Those out of touch with reality are hoping to find that "Sucker Born Every Minute" (PT Barnum). Schools have taken in so now there are some hard numbers on the increased number of families that have relocated to Montana.

Only about 5 repossessed listings for the entire state on Zillow.

Commission down to two proposed district maps for Montana's two Congressional districts​

House prices are falling. It way not be much but this is movement. Some “reasonable” prices are starting to pop up around Helena. Kalispell/Whitefish are trending downward though there are still those seeking “ I just hit the lottery” prices. The area south of Missoula down to around Hamilton seem to remain high on average.

Rapid city, SD is moving downward.

Availability is still low. I see the downward trend to continue through winter. 2022 will be dependent upon inflation.

Just my option from my continued search.

House prices are falling. It way not be much but this is movement. Some “reasonable” prices are starting to pop up around Helena. Kalispell/Whitefish are trending downward though there are still those seeking “ I just hit the lottery” prices. The area south of Missoula down to around Hamilton seem to remain high on average.

Availability is still low. I see the downward trend to continue through winter. 2022 will be dependent upon inflation.

Hang in there......... What I am seeing is the 'threat of higher interest rates" looming on the horizon.... This is nudging some sellers to lower the price and take the money and run. . . . On the other hand buyers, also, are in fear of higher interest rates making them unable to qualify.... The music has started for this round of "Musical Chairs". People are converting every dog house, whore house and outhouse into a place to ride out the winter.

Reactions: eca7891

What is the market like in Philipsburg, Wisdom and Jackson?

If you are referring to Jackson, Wyoming lowlight is the only one on here that can afford to live there. Lol

As for the others, I do not follow those areas.

What is the market like in Philipsburg, Wisdom and Jackson?
Beaverhead County is a little off the "beaten path".... Real Estate, like every where else is at the peak of the market prices. It would be a good place for a retreat if you could pay cash for it. Doubtful making a down payment and trying to find a job to pay the mortgage would work.

Beaverhead County is a little off the "beaten path".... Real Estate, like every where else is at the peak of the market prices. It would be a good place for a retreat if you could pay cash for it. Doubtful making a down payment and trying to find a job to pay the mortgage would work.
If I did, it would be a cash / retreat situation. The only oppertunities in that area seems to be cattle, which is what I am all about. I like being off the beaten path, which is why I am drawn to that country. I imagine that the Big Hole Valley can be a miserable place during the winter. I bet the wind can blow like hell.

If I did, it would be a cash / retreat situation. The only oppertunities in that area seems to be cattle, which is what I am all about. I like being off the beaten path, which is why I am drawn to that country. I imagine that the Big Hole Valley can be a miserable place during the winter. I bet the wind can blow like hell.
LOL.... "Cattle and Winter"... Cattlemen and Cattlewomen will always say there is no money in cattle but some here are 5th generation cattle people. When spring time comes and things warm up, people here are gettin' ready for next winter.... Probably the biggest challenge Mother Nature is dealin' now is the drought in the West.... But, if you have water (Water Rights) and irrigation you don't notice the drought. Hay is in short supply and expensive this year, but they got 3 cuttings off of the fields this year... My ancestors drove cattle from Blount County, TN down to Mississippi City, MS and then over to the Feliciana's in Louisiana. As far as Big Sky Country... It is what it is.

Beaverhead county and the like ARE Montana. Not these random refugee camps like Stevensville.

Reactions: goin_long
Of recent there seems to be more lower end housing opportunities hitting the market compared to the past years. You still see the occasion dreamer that will post well about average asking prices when compared to others in that area.

IMO it’s still trending downwards buy only on the newly listed. Those that have been on the market for 120+days seem to be fully dug in at this point. Odd cases do pop up where a clearly overpriced house hit the market and sell immediately, hello Zillow.

Er have shifted out primary Foucault to the black hills area while still watching areas in Libby, eureka, kila and possibly butte. Hammalton and adjacent twins are still possible as well

Zillow getting out of the home buying business has helped housing prices come down.

Yes but the bad data that they have created is still being used by agents to price houses.

Example. House goes off the market in February and comes bad on. It was listed at 525. Nothing has been down to it and it has been sitting vacant. Zillow pumped and dumped prices in that area. Same property comes Back on the market 160k higher than before. If it didn’t see then and no improvements have been made and all currently listed are well below you. Well then. Your agent is doing you a disfavor pricing it at that point. It’s just sits there inflated.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
Yes but the bad data that they have created is still being used by agents to price houses.

Example. House goes off the market in February and comes bad on. It was listed at 525. Nothing has been down to it and it has been sitting vacant. Zillow pumped and dumped prices in that area. Same property comes Back on the market 160k higher than before. If it didn’t see then and no improvements have been made and all currently listed are well below you. Well then. Your agent is doing you a disfavor pricing it at that point. It’s just sits there inflated.
I agree. Zillow intentionally juiced the market, buying up supply. Not just buying up supply, but at very high prices to juice comparables. Basically they tried to play house flipping and failed.

Multi-billion $$$ loss for them, and now they have to dump supply back on the market.

I’m waiting for $4+ gas, plus food and utilities inflation to take its toll before I enter back into the real estate market, and purchasing a large truck.

I'm watching a few properties in my area. They sold like hot cakes last spring.... Minor clean up of the property and house (no upgrades) and they went back on the market in late summer.... Those are still sitting empty..... Some were converted to Airbnb's but the tourist season is winding down and they are vacant most of the time..... Still, there is no affordable housing. Small businesses are starting to offer $15 / hour jobs but there is no where for workers to stay. Outfits with seasonal workers have purchased the "No Tell Motel's" and are putting up the transient workers there.

Seems "uncertainty" is putting a lot of things on hold:

Consumer Confidence Fell in November Amid Inflation Worries

Rural Montana suffering from a lack of housing and workers​

Nothing new here. That’s been an issue before and will be again.

Zillow getting out of the home buying business has helped housing prices come down.

That works both ways. Zillow was notoriously bad about having flat out wrong info. In fact, I’ve seen two houses on my street that were virtually identical have very very different info and ones suggested price was $400k different than the one identical to it across the street? Why? Also, both had 5 bedrooms and 4.5 baths yet were listed as only having 3 beds and 2.5 baths on Zillow. Why? SF was also off between the two. Why? I don’t think they were just juicing prices I think they were intentionally trying to lower values in other places. Why I don’t know.

Last edited: