• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hey western Montana folks

None of that would surprise me in the least.

After four years of searching we finally purchased a nice 64 acre parcel near Seeley Lake, will start building in the next year or so. Finding the right property in Montana is absolutely possible but it takes a lot of time and effort. Fortunately we had time on our side and spent a lot time boots on ground viewing numerous properties over the years. The other factor that I think makes Montana particularly challenging is a lot of “sellers” really are not interested in selling and will not work with buyers. We encountered this more than once and I quickly learned to move on down the road. You can’t force a deal.

Simply defund them to make them change their stance or attach a provision for it to be allowed to their funding. Accept them money and accept the change.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Few places left in America that could accomplish this:

Have you seen the smoke stock and tailings pile at Anaconda? They are impressive. I come from a town that was the largest zinc smelter west of the Mississippi. It closed around 1974. Devestated our town and it still is declining to this day. Anaconda is just years behind in its digression. Very sad. The surrounding area south and west is some of my favorite stomping area during vacation. I may look at buying some property there someday.

Do they have a non-traditional ml season?

The ml I used before the one I have now I believe would qualify given the definition in the article. In-line percussion cap loose powder. Killed them just as dead as my new 209….

IMHO this is usually an attempt by a small group of hunters to get a designated seasoning “ just for them “. As you can tell I’m not a big fan of micro tailored seasons….

Do they have a non-traditional ml season?

The ml I used before the one I have now I believe would qualify given the definition in the article. In-line percussion cap loose powder. Killed them just as dead as my new 209….

IMHO this is usually an attempt by a small group of hunters to get a designated seasoning “ just for them “. As you can tell I’m not a big fan of micro tailored seasons….
This appears to be the only muzzle loader season in Montana..... After the close of the regular season.

Reactions: eca7891
This appears to be the only muzzle loader season in Montana..... After the close of the regular season.
I can honestly say I have never lived in a state that didn’t have a ml season.

About the biggest controversy i have seen is allowing optics or sights only.

That ended up as having zero impact on harvest numbers.

It does seem like the west is lagging a bit on easing regulations on archers and such. It would only make sense it would flow in ml as well.

Media mogul Rupert Murdoch and his wife Jerry have paid around $200 million to buy a massive Montana working cattle ranch owned by a subsidiary of Koch Industries named Matador Cattle Co. a new report revealed Thursday.
The mega-land deal between two pillars of the American conservative establishment was first reported by the Wall Street Journal, which is owned by Murdoch’s News Corp., and which is a sister property to his right-wing Fox News network.

The 340,000-acre Beaverhead Ranch, which has 25 homes, primarily for workers, sits near Yellowstone National Park.

Gotta control that food supply chain.

Look at the amount of massive land purchases being made by the ultra wealthy in the west.

Montana Gov. Greg Gianforte is stepping forward to protect the residents of his state from the Biden administration’s assault on the Second Amendment.

On Friday, the Republican signed into law House Bill 258. It will prohibit state and local law enforcement officials from enforcing any federal ban or regulation on firearms, magazines and ammunition. It also prohibits the use of state funds to impose federal bans and regulations of these items.

Montana Gov. Greg Gianforte is stepping forward to protect the residents of his state from the Biden administration’s assault on the Second Amendment.

On Friday, the Republican signed into law House Bill 258. It will prohibit state and local law enforcement officials from enforcing any federal ban or regulation on firearms, magazines and ammunition. It also prohibits the use of state funds to impose federal bans and regulations of these items.

Thanks for the update, that happened in April.

Dated dec 13, signed into law.

Perhaps the bill started in April and he signed it now?? Yep

Dated dec 13, signed into law.

Perhaps the bill started in April and he signed it now?? Yep

Here's the official record, captain. Signed into law 4/23/2021. Anybody who knows anything about the government of Montana would know that no laws are being signed in December, lol. MT legislature meets for 90 days every other year, governor has ten days to sign a bill after it passes. That means all bill are wrapped up well before June. Everybody in MT, I guess other than Captain Crazy, knows this.

Either way.

Good job Montana!
Yes. They passed several big pro 2a laws this year, and Gianforte signed them. They had passed them several times before, only to be vetoed, and there was some worry that they would not be as willing to pass them knowing that they wouldn't be vetoed.

The muzzle loader one is a bit of a headscratcher. It is only traditional muzzle loader, and it is the week after general season, all of which conspires to make it a pretty tough hunt. I think MT was one of only a couple of states without muzzleloader season before this, and I would be surprised if a dozen elk are taken state wide in the new season. Not really a complaint, as our game population is exceedingly well managed, so you wouldn't want a big change. Other than a lot of wolves being killed.

Yeah… I’m not overly excited about the progress made on that. The restrictions are a bit antiquated in my opinion.

Perhaps it an incremental approach they are taking. Pass this the make changes by opening it up some and moving the season around.

Deer season here for muzzleloader is after the general gun season. For deer I have never had issue filling whatever tags I had left during the ml season.

Late archery….. that’s a hardcore hunting season here.

Reactions: WaltHer
The amount of money behind the APR is absolutely staggering. They aren't a very revered entity in most of Central MT.
Yep.... It was the least of two evils... If the Government could have gotten their hands on that land.. It would produce no revenue... We know that the day is coming when the Government will make all of their land off limits to "We The People"....

Reactions: WaltHer
Bring your own water .....
Pretty accurate assessment, at least over here on the east side. Last month one of my neighbors went "direct to market" with his cattle, selling them for between $250-$500 each to people. I shot about 27 cows for him that morning, we moved them to the pasture where they were gutted out and packaged in coolers. Had people from as far away as Wyoming show up. He even gave some old sway-backs away to needy folks. He made more going direct than he could have sold them for and doesn't have to feed them through the winter.

Ironic sidenote: when i asked to come back that night to shoot the coyotes off the gutpiles he said, "No. Who do you think is going to clean up this mess." Today's enemies can become tomorrow's friends....
20211106_120809.jpg

Pretty accurate assessment, at least over here on the east side. Last month one of my neighbors went "direct to market" with his cattle, selling them for between $250-$500 each to people. I shot about 27 cows for him that morning, we moved them to the pasture where they were gutted out and packaged in coolers. Had people from as far away as Wyoming show up. He even gave some old sway-backs away to needy folks. He made more going direct than he could have sold them for and doesn't have to feed them through the winter.

Ironic sidenote: when i asked to come back that night to shoot the coyotes off the gutpiles he said, "No. Who do you think is going to clean up this mess." Today's enemies can become tomorrow's friends....View attachment 7768600
I chuckle at what your neighbor told you about the coyotes..... Laws of Nature are going to prevail.

I chuckle at what your neighbor told you about the coyotes..... Laws of Nature are going to prevail.
When giving away the sway-backs he also said something along the lines of, "in today's job market, I find it hard to believe any MAN is truly "needy." Of course he only works about 360 days a year, so what does he know...lol.

What I saw in Montana this summer was ugly. Bad ugly. Now I am living it here in Oklahoma. My wheat crop is turning black and going backwards daily.

• Sad
What’s the chance to get tester out of there?

What’s the chance to get tester out of there?
I'd place it at 50 / 50 right now... He was re-elected by a narrow margin.
What I will say is this... If a person has any sort of problem with any of the services the US Government runs and you write him a letter.... He (or someone in his office) will give a written reply, not a form letter. If you continue to communicate, using his office, you will get farther than just being the guy on the street.... Honestly, I think that is one reason he stays in office. I have written many elected officials and 95% of the time I never got a reply and the other 4% replied with a form letter..... Something else, Here is just my humble opinion... There are probably 100 Republicans that are 4th generation Montanan's who could be elected to the House or Senate by a landslide. These are respected, people of character... They don't want to go to DC and certainly don't want to rub shoulders with the swamp dweller US Congressmen........ The short list of candidates are all career politicians....

Yeah… I’m not overly excited about the progress made on that. The restrictions are a bit antiquated in my opinion.

Perhaps it an incremental approach they are taking. Pass this the make changes by opening it up some and moving the season around.

Deer season here for muzzleloader is after the general gun season. For deer I have never had issue filling whatever tags I had left during the ml season.

Late archery….. that’s a hardcore hunting season here.

We have generous hunting seasons. Archery starts in August and runs into October. Week break and rifle starts in October and runs to the Sunday after Thanksgiving. They tacked muzzle loader on as an extra week.
You can archery hunt through the whole season if that's your thing. Just need orange.
There never been anything against using your muzzle loader for the 5-6 weeks of rifle season either.

Deer A is over the counter (any species, any sex)
Deer B whitetail is over the counter (antlerless only)
Elk A is over the counter, with restrictions based on hunting district.

Most of the special drawings are open till Jan 1, or Feb 15.

Some districts have extra archery tags. I know some places you can get 5 tags.

And for a resident 2 deer, birds, elk, and fishing is less than $100.

Only reason I don't fill all my tags with a bow is time. I passed on 5 bucks under 20 yards this year. Passed on about 200 under 400 yards during rifle. I've filled 3 tags in a day from the same tree stand with a bow, but we've been too busy trying to get work in before the cold the last few years.

That’s not yo far off
We have generous hunting seasons. Archery starts in August and runs into October. Week break and rifle starts in October and runs to the Sunday after Thanksgiving. They tacked muzzle loader on as an extra week.
You can archery hunt through the whole season if that's your thing. Just need orange.
There never been anything against using your muzzle loader for the 5-6 weeks of rifle season either.

Only reason I don't fill all my tags with a bow is time. I passed on 5 bucks under 20 yards this year. Passed on about 200 under 400 yards during rifle. I've filled 3 tags in a day from the same tree stand with a bow, but we've been too busy trying to get work in before the cold the last few years.
That’s not too far off what we have here.

👍

Isn't North Dakota AWESOME! Its great that North Dakota has all of that hunting season. North Dakota....Its like the best place to move too.

If you continue to communicate, using his office, you will get farther than just being the guy on the street.... Honestly, I think that is one reason he stays in office.
That is interesting. I wrote Daines the other day...and spent quite a bit of time relating a very relevant issue regarding my brother, who has served his country for damn near 20 years. I got a form letter probably generated by a bot pretty quick. I was unimpressed to say the least, I don't think a staffer even perused it.

Edit: Does anyone else think Tester looks like the rock singer MeatLoaf? Especially when MeatLoaf played "Bob" the fat guy with man titties in the movie Fight Club? Maybe it's just me.

Isn't North Dakota AWESOME! Its great that North Dakota has all of that hunting season. North Dakota....Its like the best place to move too.

North Dakota does have an awesome archery season.

Which you need since rifle season is 7-8 days and 100% by drawing.

When I first went there I was confused when people were excited to get deer tags. I'm sitting there looking at them going "you can't just go buy them at a store?"

North Dakota does have an awesome archery season.

Which you need since rifle season is 7-8 days and 100% by drawing.

When I first went there I was confused when people were excited to get deer tags. I'm sitting there looking at them going "you can't just go buy them at a store?"

All I know is North Dakota is much better than Western Montana. Western Montana sucks. Its cold. Its gray all winter. Then mud season. Then second winter, then mud season again. Road construction all summer. Fire season. Smoke Season. Then its back to winter. North Dakota I hear is the best place to move too, and that is where Yellowstone was actually filmed.

All I know is North Dakota is much better than Western Montana. Western Montana sucks. Its cold. Its gray all winter. Then mud season. Then second winter, then mud season again. Road construction all summer. Fire season. Smoke Season. Then its back to winter. North Dakota I hear is the best place to move too, and that is where Yellowstone was actually filmed.

Eastern Montana may as well be North Dakota but with better hunting seasons.

Try the Sidney, Glasgow area, or Scobey is really nice this time of year.

It is nice to get out of the smoke, and you can hit the river and catch real fish, not those trash that fill up the mountain streams.

Eastern Montana may as well be North Dakota but with better hunting seasons.

Try the Sidney, Glasgow area, or Scobey is really nice this time of year.

It is nice to get out of the smoke, and you can hit the river and catch real fish, not those trash that fill up the mountain streams.
Isn't that the part of the state where they give you velcro gloves and rubber boots when you move there? Or is that Wyoming?

Isn't that the part of the state where they give you velcro gloves and rubber boots when you move there? Or is that Wyoming?

Wyoming.

There's a reason the population density is so low down there.