• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Holy smokes, DPMS G2 rifles

Skeld1, I had similar experiences as CTown137...my pmags were snug but after putting them in and out several times they are better now.

s002wjh, That is a good question. Mine isn't broken in yet (G2 SASS with 18" fluted heavy barrel) but is shooting around 1 MOA with decent ammo. I expect this to tighten up as it gets completely broken in. I follow a rigorous barrel break in procedure... 1 shot then clean for 25 rounds followed by 5 shots then clean until 100 rounds and finally 10 shots then clean until 200 rounds.

I ordered a Syrac Gen 2 adjustable gas block for my G2 SASS and I screwed up by ordering the wrong size. The SASS 18" heavy barrel uses the .936 size, not the .750. #$%@!
The correct size block will be here tomorrow for immediate installation. I can't wait to get some more range time on it!

Last edited:
Had another range day with the LR GII. This time I had swapped in the Timney trigger from my Bushmaster AR15. It should be noted that the Geiselle trigger that was previously malfunctioning in the DMPS worked perfectly in the Bushmaster AR15 for 100 rounds, and the Timney worked perfectly in the DPMS. The DPMS was cleaned and lubed again before this outing, with more grease applied to the bolt carrier group lugs and lower slide grooves. This time there was absolutely no malfunctions of any kind, and all shooting was done with the GenM3 10 round P-mag. I had also swapped the larger hand grip from my Bushmaster for more comfort with my large hands. I don't like the thin factory grips at all, so this was a big improvement. I can definitely say this thing shoots better than I can, so there is lots of potential in it.

107_1604_zps4a695c2f.jpg

107_1603_zps57decc95.jpg

107_1602_zps10fcaa61.jpg

Last edited:
All finished in its final form, another range trip this weekend to rezero, and get the BUIS sighted in.

I'll have to try some basic trigger enhancements, but It's hard to not go with a Geiselle after using them in the past.

IMG_8498s.jpg

Damn that's a nice looking setup. What is the rail?

For those looking at hand guards for your G2, you need to check out the Samson Evo rail. I ordered the 12.37" for my Recon. Samson messed up and sent me the 15" and I'm glad they did. I contacted them and offered to pay the difference and they stated that they would not charge me for their mistake. I had to buy the G2 short barrel nut from DPMS. But it was well worth it. Such a great handguard!

I had to turn .053" off of my G2 AP4 barrel nut for my Samson EVO to fit. I was unaware that DPMS is already selling replacement parts for the G2. Where can I find that barrel nut?

I had to turn .053" off of my G2 AP4 barrel nut for my Samson EVO to fit. I was unaware that DPMS is already selling replacement parts for the G2. Where can I find that barrel nut?

Here is a link to the DPMS website where I got my barrel nut.
DPMS G2 Barrel Nut (Short)

I am assuming you ordered the G2 EVO, as they make a special rail just for the G2.

This seems odd to me, aren't they making the rail specifically for the G2?

What I was hoping to hear is someone has a 5r cut rifled barrel made for one of these. There would be a line around the block for whomever does it first....

Hint hint...

The adjustable gas block was finally put in my G2 SASS this week and I'm looking forward to some range time today or tomorrow to set it properly. I'm tired of getting hit in the face by brass! LOL

And by the way, if any of you are looking for a custom fit bore guide to clean your G2, contact Eric Sinclair @ Possum Hollow Products. He made one up for my G2 and it fits like a glove. I have one of their bore guides for every rifle I own and they all fit perfect.

https://www.possumhollowproducts.com/

Got mine done for now.
MI rail, Syrac Gen II adjustable gas block.
9.0 lbs as pictured (empty mag)

No more brass to the face except the priv match started after about 60 rounds. FGMM is fine now.

Got mine done for now.

No more brass to the face except the priv match started after about 60 rounds. FGMM is fine now.

Looks nice! Was that gas block a .750? I'm a bolt gun guy primarily and trying to help my Dad get his GII recon all setup

What ammo are you running, or if reloads what are your recipes? Group sizes?

Various handloads w/ 175 smk, 155 scenar using 4350, H335, WC 844, Varget, 4064 and Lake City fully prepped brass

Black Hill Gold 168 gr went 2.5 MOA at 200 yards

Leupold Mark 4 8.5 x 25 w/ Burris Extreme rings
Vortex 4 x 16 PST w/ Burris Extreme rings

Broke it in according to DPMS and after the first 25 rounds I cleaned every 5-10 rounds for the next 250 rounds

I had to put it down for a while... pissin' me off

Got mine done for now.

Looks nice. That Recon barrel is damn heavy though. :)

bro, that's hot! looks crazy light weight also! kick ass!!

Got mine done for now.

More unfortunate, than odd. I felt as though the MI offering had too small of an ID, so I cannibalized an AR15 to add the EVO to my G2. at the time, I was unaware that Samson had plans to make an EVO for the G2. It makes me wonder who else has plans for yet another choice in a G2 FFHG.

Holy smokes, DPMS G2 rifles

Black Hills Gold 168 gr. 2.5 moa @ 200 yards

Various handloads with 175 smk and 4064 giving the best at around 1.5 - 2 moa

Not stellar performance

My recon likes the 175 SMK's the best with IMR 4064. I could not get WC-844 to work with any thing other than 150's. I may just leave the WC for my 223.

Last edited:
My GII SASS loves the 175 SMKs as well, running 41gr Varget powder in PPU brass. I was shooting 1 to 1.5" groups at 200 meters from the bipod and rear bag on a bench last week. I just picked up some 168 AMAXs which I'm really looking forward to trying out as well.

Just picked up a G2 SASS last night. Any suggestions on scope mount/rings to fit a Vortex Viper w/ 50mm objective? Have heard good reviews on the Burris PEPR.

Just picked up a G2 SASS last night. Any suggestions on scope mount/rings to fit a Vortex Viper w/ 50mm objective? Have heard good reviews on the Burris PEPR.

The PEPR is ok, not great. The Warne mount for another $30 would be better. Better yet would be the American Defense with 20 MoA. That's if you are looking for a one piece base.

How is the balance of the new sass?

The SASS is a little front heavy. Not anywhere near as bad as the 24" Bull, but it's heavy. The PRS stock does help balance it out a bit, but adds to the overall weight. At 10.5lbs, it's the heaviest of all the GII rifles. I've dropped off the bipod and ran the SASS in Heavy Metal 3 gun. I had no issues running and gunning with it.

Last edited:
How is the balance of the new sass?

Balance is truly not bad at all. A little front heavy, but I can deal with it. My RRA Elite Operator seems to be balanced bout the same. Rifle weighs around 9.5 lbs with bipod removed.

The PEPR is ok, not great. The Warne mount for another $30 would be better. Better yet would be the American Defense with 20 MoA. That's if you are looking for a one piece base.

Good info! I like the idea of the 20 MOA base, that way adjustments can be made for the way out there stuff. However, they are def proud of it at about $180.

Good info! I like the idea of the 20 MOA base, that way adjustments can be made for the way out there stuff. However, they are def proud of it at about $180.

Yes, the AD, is a little pricier than the others. And I hate to be "that guy" that pimps the pricier stuff, but the AD is worth it. That extra 20 MoA is nice to have, plus it's a QD mount. If nothing else, the Warne Skel mount is lighter and has a Return To Zero guarantee. I've had three PEPR's, still own one on a Vortex Viper PST 1x4, none of them hold zero after removal.

Nice Rig Skeld.

I bet that's a pretty nice lightweight blaster. That would be ideal for Heavy Metal 3 Gun.

G2 Bolt differences - AR15.COM

Apparently DPMS has made a running change in the bolt design.

From DPMS on AR15.com

Your second observation was a different improvement, occurring roughly the same time but not related, where we reduced the dimensions of the exposure of the firing pin hole to alleviate the primer flow - again, no safety or functional change, simply aesthetic (to the resulting fired primer).

Not much hard information in that thread. It seems as though DPMS reduced the tolerance around the firing pin hole. Ideally they should have reduced the firing pin diameter, but seems like no luck.

I luv the obvious BS "no safety or functional change, simply aesthetic".
Because we all have been looking for relief from the embarrassment of cratered primers!

"Hey, whose brass is this?"
"Look at those craters! That brass must belong to Ole' Pizza Primer!"
"HA HA HA "
(Shooter hangs head in shame.....)

I'm sure having primer pieces stick the firing pin and slam fire never crossed their minds!

Has anybody heard anything about this??

Actually, the DPMS design intent was to make a 7.62/308 AR pattern rifle that could use any (or at least, most) AR-15 (556/223) rail.

Nice Rig Skeld.

I bet that's a pretty nice lightweight blaster. That would be ideal for Heavy Metal 3 Gun.

Thanks, it weighs 7.2 pounds with a Vicker's padded sling. Waiting for a Weaver 1-5 for it...it should weigh about 8.5 pounds with that.

It's brand new.

Give it some time, more options will become available.

Agreed! :)

I was just commenting that compatibility with standard AR15 rails was one of the things that initially excited me about the G2 platform, but the reality turned out a bit differently. Aside from the MI SSK and Samson rails, I fully expect more manufacturers (including DPMS) to release G2-specific handguards.

What does it cost roughly to add an adjustable tube to make it easier to use a suppressor?
Any one shoot steel ammo out of these?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409427665.640618.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1409427681.138847.jpg

So I had my first run in with DPMS customer service a few weeks ago.

I am still in search of the "Load" for my GII Recon. So I decided to try some 150g Hornady soft points over some BLC-2 that I picked up a year or two ago.

The only data I had at had with that bullet and powder combo was from Lyman. So I started off at the starting load of 45g going in half grain increments to a max of 48g. I lowered my max by one grain because I am using lake city brass.

Well at any rate. My primers started doing this at 46 grains. I double checked my scale and data and every thing was fine. Primers at 45 and 45.5 looked just fine.

I am using lake city brass And primers were CCI LRP (not magnum).

I called up DPMS and told them what happened. They had a come apart. "Did you read the owners manual, you know reloads void your warranty" and on and on. I finally got the guy calmed down and explained to him that I realize reloads void the warranty and that's why I was asking to buy a firing pin and not asking them to give me another. So $40.00 later I have a new firing pin and oddly enough that crater is much smaller than it was before. I wish I had some primers left over to show the comparison but it is much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Black Hills Gold 168 gr. 2.5 moa @ 200 yards

Various handloads with 175 smk and 4064 giving the best at around 1.5 - 2 moa

Not stellar performance

Odd.
I'm definitely right at 1 moa, usually .7 to .8 with hornady vmax 110, hornady 178 Amax and varget. Consistently for five round groups.
Accuracy is so close to my stainless barrelled lmt mws that I didn't feel bad at all about selling it and keeping the g2 in its place.

I've found my G2 SASS to perform similar to ntm's... under MOA for hand loads and right around MOA with decent match grade ammo. I even get pretty decent results with Prvi 168 gr Match which is pretty cheap stuff. One reason I was able to tighten up my groups is the adjustable gas block I installed. The primary reason I put it in was to stop getting hit in the face with hot brass (I'm a lefty) but it also allowed me to tune the gas as low as possible so that it cycled all the different ammo I plan to shoot but low enough to soften the recoil. I now have over 300 rounds through it and as it broke in I found that I was able to tune the gas a tad lower and still keep the ejection patter the same and the brass from hitting me. Recoil management is so damn important, especially with semi autos and an adjustable gas block helps greatly in reducing the felt recoil.