• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hope to move to Jackson Wyoming area.

.454Casull

Private
Minuteman
Jul 8, 2013
KY, USA
Not sure if this is in the right place, so please move if not mods. As the title says me and my wife are going to look at buying property around Jackson Wyoming to live and hopefully start a business. I would like to know if any Hide members live in that area and can recommend a good realtor.

We are looking for 50+ acres that are mostly wooded and in the mountains. All comments and tips are appreciated.

Thanks,
.454Casull

Try United Country Real Estate

Depends on what you want, really. If your business is to cater to the small percentage of Wyoming liberals or is tourist oriented, then by all means it is the place to locate. You of course already know that my Cody, WY $325K house in Jackson Hole would sell for $2,000,000.

If want more acreage and don't need the Libs/tourists for income, I would look elsewhere in Wyoming.

This what I enjoy...with some solitude.

Unless you are deep in independently wealthy territory, Jackson is not the place to be.

Ok place to visit but I agree, look somewhere not so close as everything is over priced in J Hole

Hate Jackson with a passion. Lots of places just outside that are amazing. What biz are you looking into would help with other recommendations within reasonalbe distance to Jackson. I've got property I've been eyeing up that way for quite a while so i doo see the appeal, just not in JH.

go across the pass. Dubois is a great place. Hunt there every year and love the people and would move there if i could. Riverton is good to, but a bit larger. stay the hell away from Jackson unless you have endless money and like yups. fyi Casper is full of them too.

go across the pass. Dubois is a great place. Hunt there every year and love the people and would move there if i could. Riverton is good to, but a bit larger. stay the hell away from Jackson unless you have endless money and like yups. fyi Casper is full of them too.

Don't believe him about riverton. Its awful.

Perhaps .454Casull needs yuppies,Libs/tourists, and others with deep pockets to keep his proposed business deep in cash? If so, its certainly different from the rest of Wy. It does have great skiing.

Wyoming isn't about the country (though its great) Wyoming is about the life style, freedom. I live in the north eastern part of the state. No covenants, no zoning. I can do what I want on m property, including building and using my own range.

Wyoming is about the lifestyle, Jackson isn't Wyoming.

Ok, I might have to clarify a little. Our intention is not to live in Jackson (specially not after the things I read on here) but within about on hours drive of the airport. Also close proximity to the National Parks is a must because the business will involve tourism. It must definitely be outside of Jackson city limits, or any city limits for that matter. We want to be able to shoot on our own property and be able to do with it what we want. If we could we would move somewhere else, but we do need the tourists.

If there is another place that meets the criteria, we would love to know, but has to be within an hour of a commercial airport (commercial flights) and the parks. And has to have trees (the more the better) and prefer mountains.

Hopefully this clears up some of the confusion.

Thanks for all the replies people, it really helps us out.

.454Casull

I would prefer Cody over Jackson anytime. Its also fairly close to the Parks gotta pass through Cody to get to East Gate of YNP.

I grew up in Riverton. It's not really that great, but certainly not awful. It's a town that borders a reservation. If you've seen one reservation, you've seen them all. Riverton isn't really close to Jackson, either. As mentioned earlier, Dubois would be better and closer. Pinedale might be a good alternative to Jackson. I know most of the average people(not rich asses) that work in Jackson, live just over Teton Pass in either Driggs or Victor, Idaho.

Personally, I can't stand Jackson. It wasn't bad 20 yrs ago. Then the billionaires kicked the millionaires out and WY has a blue 'East Infection". One of my old gf's lives up there and always complains about how expensive everything is.

You sound like you know what you're looking for though. Real Estate up there is outlandishly priced.

Oh, and if you want to see awful, hit just about any town along I-80. Spend a tweekend in Rock Springs and then we can talk about how awful Riverton is :)

Casper, you are not serious are you. He wants forests and trees, not open praire with 50 mph winds all day:) While living within the vacinity (1 hour) of Jackson sounds nice, 50+ acres close to Yellowstone is going to be easily into an eight figure price range depending upon what you want. While none of us know your financial position, this area of Wyoming is beyond what most can afford. When I grew up in Wyoming Jackson was a nice place (70's/80's), now its not for me. Montana, Idaho, or even Utah may offer more of what you have in mind. Still not clear about what you intend as that may help others give you better information.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies again.

Unfortunately we are not enormously wealthy, we have some money to buy property and start a small business by building a few cabins and renting them. After reading the responses again, we don't think we would fit in with the people in Jackson itself. We worked hard for the things we have and would like to keep them. One of the main reasons for choosing Wyoming apart from the freedom feeling we get there, is no state dividend tax. Only 6 other states have that. We are already taxed overseas and by the Federal Government, paying again for state is just going too far. If it turns out that the area we are looking at is too expensive another option would be the Black Hills in SD.

So we need to be reasonably close to the big parks (Yellowstone, Grand Teton and Devil's Tower) and in reasonable distance from a commercial airport. We did look at Pinedale and even Afton (in Star Valley I believe) and those might me more viable for us. We will also look at Dubois.

Again, thanks to all for the time to inform us.

.454Casull

There are a lot of liberals, yuppies, idiots, etc here. It's not impossible to be normal here though, I manage, but I do manage to piss off the formerly mentioned. Like others have said I'm even from Jackson and don't like a lot of parts about Jackson.

If you're wanting to do rental cabins, then I take it you can deal with the above mentioned being a part of the income side of your business, so that being said I could see another business like that doing fairly well here.

Not sure what your budget is but I may know of a place or two coming on the market shortly that sounds like exactly what you are looking for.

Last edited:

Took my girlfriends brand new truck for a cruise over the mountains Saturday. Casper has a lot of lovely places within 1 hour. If you ended up near here I know we would come out to stay for a weekend or 2.

How about Laramie, living in Colorado we've looked there, it is a college town so it has some nice restaurants, stores, etc.

My family homesteaded in Jackson well over 100 years ago, and I love it but it's been tough dealing with the growth, especially as ranchers. Land prices are out of control and there is a huge influx of 20-somethings that arrive every summer and act tough because they think they are local. Most of the kids I grew up with (and myself) headed out of Jackson, but there are definitely some good old timers left, if you know where to find them.

There is a massive shortage of housing right now in Jackson, so that may be relevant to your business. Also I bet you can get land very cheap right now on Budge Drive haha...

Most of north/northeastern Wyoming has a pretty big tourist economy in the summer, so there are definitely other places you could do well. I love Dubois, and Cody is cool too.

Best kept secret

Thanks for all the replies again.

Unfortunately we are not enormously wealthy, we have some money to buy property and start a small business by building a few cabins and renting them. After reading the responses again, we don't think we would fit in with the people in Jackson itself. We worked hard for the things we have and would like to keep them. One of the main reasons for choosing Wyoming apart from the freedom feeling we get there, is no state dividend tax. Only 6 other states have that. We are already taxed overseas and by the Federal Government, paying again for state is just going too far. If it turns out that the area we are looking at is too expensive another option would be the Black Hills in SD.

So we need to be reasonably close to the big parks (Yellowstone, Grand Teton and Devil's Tower) and in reasonable distance from a commercial airport. We did look at Pinedale and even Afton (in Star Valley I believe) and those might me more viable for us. We will also look at Dubois.

Again, thanks to all for the time to inform us.

.454Casull

I live in south eastern Idaho and its awesome if your looking for rural with access and a large customer base look at Idaho Falls and north to Island Park up highway 20 you have IdahoFalls , Rigby , Rexberg , Ashton and Island park very close to yellowstone and also close to jackson best thing to do is take a drive over a couple days and see for yourself . Also you have McCamon Idaho right on I15 and east to Bear Lake Pocatello and Idaho Falls both have regional airports and salt lake city airport is not too far its pretty awsome good people great hunting and lots of places to shot

You might want to look at the Idaho side My mother lives in Driges and loves it there. Idaho Falls would be the next airport of any worth. I see why you would want to go to WY other then Idaho. The Idaho tax is a bit high. The area near Afton and Star Valley are nice. I like the Greenriver area. They have prairy dogs over that way and man are they fun to shoot. I see you are coming form KY. The areas you are looking at have winters real winters 90+ days of sub-zeros. Its very nice in the summer but you need to remember it gets cold here and stays that way for quite sometime. I tie flys and reload during the winter and read a few dozen books. I personal live in Blackfoot, ID and enjoy living in Idaho.

Thank you all for answering again.

After some time on Google I found out that Montana and Idaho have foreign tax credit, so these states now become an option too. I think it just got a lot harder and complicated. Together with South Dakota we have more options than before.

.454Casull

Options are not always a bad thing. As said before, the billionaires have kicked the millionaires out of Jackson. The millionaires seem to be relocating to Sheridan (bastards). Cody would be just about perfect, Riverton is a dive (sorry guys); who ever brought up Rock Springs, I feel for you, but you nailed it. The Hills would be pretty sweet but i've heard property tax is high in SD (just heresay for me). I can't advocate Casper either, that's not a mountain, it's a hill; plus the wind blows WAY too damn much.

There has been an ever increasing amount of yuppie infestation covering NW- Wyo & SW- MT, from Jackson to Bozeangeles.

t

I'm surprised at how many guys here say they're from around Jackson and southeast Idaho - that's cool. I was born in Jackson. Grew up an hour north of town at the base of Togwotee Pass.

You could find some places around Driggs and Victor but both are turning into yuppie / hippie ville. Anywhere within an hour of Jackson has the potential to be overpriced due to all the rich people.

Lots of tourists though in this area... Good luck in your search.

The Hills would be pretty sweet but i've heard property tax is high in SD (just heresay for me).

That's true, the Black Hills are great, BUT, there's a large section of the Black Hill's in Wyoming where property taxes are reasonable. From Newcastle to Sundance to the Montana border on the North and South Dakota on the East.

Property Prices are not near as bad as in the NW part of the state. If you need access to a large city, you have Rapid City.

Good point Kraig, I hadn't thought about that. Sundance really wouldn't be that bad of a location.

t

Different strokes brother, it's all good.

t

I admit casper is definitely not optimal, but I hated Gillette. I have lived all over Wyoming, Montana, nd, Colorado and my favorite city has been Billings. What's the name of the place across from Walmart? They have excellent prime rib and crawdads on Mondays I think it was.

Well, looks like we will have to do more searching. We have explored a little in the Black Hills and liked it. In June we will be checking the area around Jackson, likely more than an hour away though. I have nothing against taking money from yuppies, hippies or anyone else for that matter. But they are usually more anti gun and we don't need that for neighbors. Too many of them and they start making bad policy (Colorado anyone). Maybe if time allows we can look at Montana too when we are up in that region. Idaho is an option also.

I admit casper is definitely not optimal, but I hated Gillette. I have lived all over Wyoming, Montana, nd, Colorado and my favorite city has been Billings. What's the name of the place across from Walmart? They have excellent prime rib and crawdads on Mondays I think it was.

Billings is WAY too big for this redneck. :D You may be thinking of the Prime Rib Restaurant, it's close to walmart & as the name implies, the Prime is excellent, don't know about the mud bugs. I can understand your feelings, I'm the same except in reverse; always feel like wiping my feet when I leave Casper. ;) It too is bigger than I care for.

t

I drove through Jackson Hole area on my way to oregon a couple years ago... It felt like I was teleported into California for about 50 miles of my trip. Liberal yuppie shit hole for sure. I'll NEVER go back if I can avoid it.

Billings is WAY too big for this redneck. :D You may be thinking of the Prime Rib Restaurant, it's close to walmart & as the name implies, the Prime is excellent, don't know about the mud bugs. I can understand your feelings, I'm the same except in reverse; always feel like wiping my feet when I leave Casper. ;) It too is bigger than I care for.

t
my place is 50 miles outside Billings, far enough to be country but close enough to drive for work. The prime rib is good, but the place I am talking about is right across from Walmart.

Ok, so just got back from a trip to Wyoming and you guys are right about Jackson, what a bunch of snobs! We did however enjoy the Star Valley Area (Alpine in the North, to Smoot in the South). Not so much Alpine, but Afton really looks good to us. We also went to Dubois, Riverton, Cody, Bondurant and some other places in the area. Have to say that it is beautiful out there, we drove to Cody through Yellowstone and even saw a black bear cross the road just in front of us. Not to mention the buffalo, mule deer and a kind of mountain goat among others. I think we could get used to that area, just a shame about Jackson but we won't have to go there, maybe through it to get to nice places.

Well, Sheridan has an airport and sits right on I90 and it isn't too far from the I90/ I25 interchange. We get a ton of traffic from folks going to the Black Hills and the parks. Lots of bikers going to Sturgis. Right now Sheridan has zero available hotel rooms because of a big music festival (we have a couple every summer here at our outdoor venue). Buffalo (just 30 miles south) hosts a big fishing tourney each year, plus Longmire Days (which draws thousands of out-of-towners and far outstrips their ability to lodge so many). Hunting season is huge as well, so we have tourists most months out of the year. The Bighorn Mountains are heavily wooded, with some breathtaking hiking opportunities in the Cloud Peak Wilderness. We have a small herd of elk and bison in our park downtown, and our Main Street is super-nice. Most people here hunt and shoot, fish, and enjoy the outdoor lifestyle. We've been named the best western city more than once by a couple different western lifestyle publications.

Might check it out...

Well, Sheridan has an airport and sits right on I90 and it isn't too far from the I90/ I25 interchange. We get a ton of traffic from folks going to the Black Hills and the parks. Lots of bikers going to Sturgis. Right now Sheridan has zero available hotel rooms because of a big music festival (we have a couple every summer here at our outdoor venue). Buffalo (just 30 miles south) hosts a big fishing tourney each year, plus Longmire Days (which draws thousands of out-of-towners and far outstrips their ability to lodge so many). Hunting season is huge as well, so we have tourists most months out of the year. The Bighorn Mountains are heavily wooded, with some breathtaking hiking opportunities in the Cloud Peak Wilderness. We have a small herd of elk and bison in our park downtown, and our Main Street is super-nice. Most people here hunt and shoot, fish, and enjoy the outdoor lifestyle. We've been named the best western city more than once by a couple different western lifestyle publications.

Might check it out...

I was born in Sheridan, nice town if you can score a job at a mine otherwise you're kind of hosed (IMHO). Main street is pretty nice, especially during Wyo Rodeo ;) Buffalo is probably one of my favorite towns in the state.

t

Buffalo sucks, they constantly beat my Newcastle Girls in Basketball and volleyball.

Other then that you're right its a great town, centered in some great hunting and fishing, Great people, (except for their girls basketball players)

Buffalo sucks, they constantly beat my Newcastle Girls in Basketball and volleyball.

Other then that you're right its a great town, centered in some great hunting and fishing, Great people, (except for their girls basketball players)

LOL! We used to get pounded by them in Junior High Football.... Oh well, I just take my revenge every camping season by stealing all the good spots ;)

t