• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady 375 cal 390 grain A-TIP G7 .497

secondofangle2

Online Training Member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 3, 2017
    Thoughts on this 2020 offering?

some QL calcs show all you gain in BC is lost in speed for the same pressure compared with the CEB 352

May be better for hunting though for expansion.

But I think they should have gone like 365 grains and split the 350-400 difference closer to 350

Reactions: j-huskey
    I’m very interested in this bullet for a 375 EnABELR build I just started. I’m waiting to get some in to hand off to some buddies already running this caliber. Hope they come in soon so I can get em tested and get a barrel ordered if they perform.

I like the idea of projectiles that are half the price of solids with the same or better BC.

Can you go into a little more detail of what you found in QL?

Instead of 3200 fps 35” barrel and n570 for max pressure with 352 CEB I can expect 3000 fps with the A-TIP. At 1 mile they’re neck and neck. After that the atip will take over. But AI rarely shoot past 2000 so for me it would mean all new load development for aomething I rarely do. The cost is going to be similar

And at 2 miles ATIP wins by a mere 8 MOA elevation and 1 MOA in a 5 MPH wind from 9 o’clock

SO UNLESS I can get them faster than QL is predicting, it is a marginal improvement.
    But if they were 365 grains I could get them to 3150ish no problem and the choice is clear.

Thanks for the additional details. From what I am reading above, the A-Tips are (on paper because none of us have them yet):

- Cheaper
    - Better performing (less drop and wind at 2 miles)
    - Moving 200fps slower (increased barrel life)
    - Lead core vs solids (increased barrel life)

Isn't that the perfect blend of better to justify the switch?

Curious, what cartridge are you running?

Lastly, if they dropped the weight down from 390gr to 350ish, the BC would drop as well. I like that they are as heavy as they are. It seems like the perfect blend of weight and BC to be competitive vs the solids.

I just hope they shoot. I've got some on backorder with Midway for several weeks now but no word yet on their release date. I hope it's not much longer. I need the length to get a barrel ordered.

Last edited:
    Reactions: MT-Hillshooter
    Everything you say may be true but much is a guess and the differences are very marginal. I’m running 375 Cheytac

I will see them at Shot so I will ask what the timeline will be for getting them out to the street. I am also going to see if I can get a sample. Don't hurt to ask. I am currently shooting 400 gr Cutting Edge Lazers

Reactions: Farmerbrown32
    I talked to them at the Dallas Safari Club show last weekend. They're saying March/April at this point unfortunately, hopefully things will change.

My buddy talked to one of the Hornady guys at Shot Show and they said they're already being released into the wild. And the Midway website says "overdue". I don't know who to believe - OTOH, delays in these things are common; OTOH, they have BC numbers on the 390, not all of the others, so I'm guessing it's further along than some of them. Of course the tooling is another thing altogether. I have 250 backordered from both Midsouth and Midway.

I have 1 Bullet that I was able to talk them out of at Shot Show. I will see if my 375 dies need to modify the seating stem

That sucker is going to be stable in a 12 twist far below freezing at sea level. Goody goody gumdrops, I have one of those barely broke in with SMKs. A 35" Bartlein. I bet it shoots lights out with that A-TIP!

Reactions: MT-Hillshooter
    My buddy talked to one of the Hornady guys at Shot Show and they said they're already being released into the wild. And the Midway website says "overdue". I don't know who to believe - OTOH, delays in these things are common; OTOH, they have BC numbers on the 390, not all of the others, so I'm guessing it's further along than some of them. Of course the tooling is another thing altogether. I have 250 backordered from both Midsouth and Midway.

I’m going to take a stab and say they are running them as we speak. They’ve done they’re due diligence on them (testing). I’m going to say anytime now they should be shipping them. They had samples at Shot Show so all could look at them as has been pointed out.

Later, Frank
    Bartlein Barrels

Here is what they look like next to a Cutting Edge 400 Lazer

IMG_0310.jpg

Any idea on freebore requirements for these would a .250 37XC reamer be ok?

Lead denser so they’re shorter which explains their stability in 12 twist

If they shoot like the 230’s do they won’t suck. Looking forward to the 416 version. The published G1 for the 230 has been spot on out to 1200yds. A good comparison is to see how the G1 compares to the 4dof program. Hard to lie about a G1 when it has to follow the radar.

If they shoot like the 230’s do they won’t suck. Looking forward to the 416 version. The published G1 for the 230 has been spot on out to 1200yds. A good comparison is to see how the G1 compares to the 4dof program. Hard to lie about a G1 when it has to follow the radar.

I’ve shot they 230’s, 110’s and both of the 6.5s all with excellent results. I don’t expect any less on the 375’s.

Later, Frank
    Bartlein Barrels

Good lookin bullet. Hope they do well

Plenty of room to spare. You can chase

Thanks for the additional details. From what I am reading above, the A-Tips are (on paper because none of us have them yet):

- Cheaper
    - Better performing (less drop and wind at 2 miles)
    - Moving 200fps slower (increased barrel life)
    - Lead core vs solids (increased barrel life)

Isn't that the perfect blend of better to justify the switch?

Curious, what cartridge are you running?

Lastly, if they dropped the weight down from 390gr to 350ish, the BC would drop as well. I like that they are as heavy as they are. It seems like the perfect blend of weight and BC to be competitive vs the solids.

I just hope they shoot. I've got some on backorder with Midway for several weeks now but no word yet on their release date. I hope it's not much longer. I need the length to get a barrel ordered.

Exactly, well put, and I agree. Eager to test them out. Seems like an excellent compromise on price and promising performance.

I called into Hornady last week and the person I talked to said they're scheduled to go into production at the end of March with shipments hitting distributors in April for the 375s. The 416s are scheduled after.

Reactions: camotoe
    3? LOL I'll take one to play with COAL. I have 500 on back order whenever it may be fulfilled.