• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

How do I get the SSS bullet to cycle with my 10/22

CanPopper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2009
Houston, TX
Hi,
I recently gotten a 1 in 9 twist barrel for my 10/22 rifle. My goal was to shoot the Aguila Sniper Sub Sonic bullet suppressed.

Well, I would get constant jams because the charge in the bullet does not result in proper extraction and ejection of the brass. What do I do to get it to eject properly? Do I get a gunsmith to trim the bolt spring so the bullet will have an easier time cycling my action?

Re: How do I get the SSS bullet to cycle with my 10/22

It's not a matter of "getting" anything, but it is a matter of having your bolt re-worked. It usually includes polishing and radiusing. I sent mine of to Que to have mine redone and it was money well spent. It now cycles sub sonics reliably.

https://sites.google.com/site/quesplace/

Well, the Kidd White spring didn't work. Looks like I'll need to radius and polish the bolt.

There is bunches of related topics on Rimfire Central about just what you are asking...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanPopper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, the Kidd White spring didn't work. Looks like I'll need to radius and polish the bolt. </div></div>
It was worth the try, if you got it to work with that you were done and done cheap. You'll need that spring anyway so no harm done.

T

"It was explained to me that the heavier projectile caused increased dwell time at the chamber which blows the bolt rearward 'too soon' before all the powder is burned". So go the other way and try a magnum spring, weighted bolt or handle or both...Be advised, these bullets are not known for accuracy and may yaw causing baffle strikes in the suppressor... you are still going to get noise when the bolt opens for blowback and recharging.

What barrel did you get? I tried a 1 in 9 twist on a Ruger 77/22 without much luck in the accuracy department. Good luck with yours and let us know how it shoots.

I got the Tactical Innovations 1 in 9 barrel. Last time I shot it, it wasn't all that accurate. I'll try to shoot it again this weekend.

It seems like I've got a work around with my cycling issue. When I load 2 or more SSS bullets in the magazine, it is only the last bullet that doesn't eject with the Kidd white spring. So maybe I'll use a regular higher speed bullet for the last one. :)

I got one of Sgt Ross's RPG suppressors and he guarantees no baffles strikes with his design. I haven't had a baffle strike yet.

Save the SSS for your bolt guns, CZ-452 is a really good choice.

Get yourself some Aquila SE subsonic ammo, it will cycle just fine, with no further modifications.

You might also look into getting some tactical inc. mags, the only hi=caps that work at least as well as the factory 10 rounders.

I've been using their mags for years. They do work great.

I noticed on Midway Ruger recently came out with a 10/22 high cap mag. Not sure how well it works.