• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How do you guys Clean your FL dies?

NamibHunter

Desert hunter
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2018
Ordered a custom honed Forster BR full length sizer die. Instruction manual has two comments about brass shavings from trimming, chamfering or deburring imbedding in the steel die (or sizing ball) and causing galling and presumably a sticky case situation or a skew neck (excessive runout).

DA7E164E-A81C-4D77-A8F0-5ADF7997E3ED.jpeg

Followed by cleaning instructions that hint at removing brass from the inside of the die:

FE11DFC6-C8F1-4FDF-B799-7AE76A9C41E9.jpeg

Do you guys use copper remover (barrel cleaning solution) every time after finishing the sizing of a batch of brass?

I have never done that before, so curious what your opinions are.

Last edited:
If new wipe with Hoppes on a long wood stem Q-tip to clean any manufacturing oil.

Use it.

When storing clean with Hoppes and a long wood stem Q-tip.

My dies are SS so rust is not an issue.

I just did mine this weekend. Redding bushing die, mandrel die and micrometer seater.
1. disassemble die.
2. blast with brake cleaner.
3. Nylon cleaning brush with Boretech, then a patch.
4. light coating of oil when putting back together.
5. light coat of case lube when not in use and store in a ziploc bag to prevent rust.

It seems i have work to do.

I wonder if brass contamination inside the die can contribute to a stuck case?

not too much work. Maybe five minutes per die. I do it every few hundred rounds.

Id say most stuck cases are a result of too little lube as opposed to dirt.

Took them apart, filled the inside with OneShot foam, and let it sit for a few hours. I thought i saw a tinge of blue, but wiping up the liquid that dripped out with a white paper towel, it seems it is mostly carbon residue.

81E24699-CC0E-45CA-8B5D-2633F8435FE7.jpeg

Maybe i have too many sizing dies... 😊

Last edited:
I also use brake cleaner to ensure all of the trash and residue is out. If I am not planning to use it for a while I will coat it in WD-40 to prevent rust.

Reactions: NamibHunter
Btw: OneShot leaves a somewhat sticky residue (anti rust layer) and you can easily get a stuck case when you start resizing again. Almost had serious problems! Need to clean that out properly, or better yet use Hoppes or some other copper remover.

Brake cleaner or acetone and swab them out. Light coating of oil on outside.

Square patch with a small pistol cleaning rod. Just a wipe down in the inside is all I do. If new I dismantle the whole die and wipe it down entirely.

Just to close off the thread: This is the text on the Forster web site on the topic of brass-on-brass galling occuring inside the sizer die:

Tip - To keep the inside of your Dies scratch-free, ensure that the outside and inside of your cases are free of powder residue and other debris, case necks are deburred, and the Die itself is kept clean. This precaution also applies to the “E-Z” Out Expander Ball on the Decapping/Expander Assembly, where brass chips and other debris may inadvertently be transferred to the case and Die neck. Chips that result from trimming and deburring, or a case that has not been deburred, are especially damaging to Die interiors. These chips can become embedded in the Die interior. The resulting brass against brass effect “galls,” or wears away, minute pieces of brass on the case and gets worse with each use of the Die.”

Thanks for the feedback and advice. Much appreciated!

Case closed.

Last edited: