• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing How To Install BT17 Rail for Atlas Bipod in McM A5

Re: How To Install BT17 Rail for Atlas Bipod in McM A5

So I did one post on a HS Precision 5R stock; here is another on a Manners T5 mini-chassis that came with two fore end swivel studs. Although flush cups would have been ideal, I picked up this chassis on the ready to ship section and avoided a 16 week wait; so, I found myself with swivel studs and the need to mount a rail.

The problem I encountered was that the 3.35" BT 15 rail would not fit with the front stud installed in the slot without the rail hanging over the forearm; so, off it went and in it's place I mounted one of the BT1517 screws. I test fit the atlas bipod several times to make sure that the screw placement would work and that the location on the stock was where I wanted it.

Next, I put a piece of tape between the stock and the rail on the spot I intended on drilling the pilot hole. I marked spot with a sharpie too:

Stockmarking.jpg

After drilling a 1/4" pilot hole with cobra427's enclosed drill bit, I used the counter bore he provided:

Pilot.jpg

I hope you can see, the spot was carefully chosen to provide a good location to put the rail, yet provide a good location to bore a new hole in the stock. I went very carefully at this point; can always take out more if necessary but no going back.

The drilled hole is in the middle, with the forward-most stud hole to the right:

Studremoved.jpg

After boring the hole, the 3/4" drill bit was used to open up the new hole to accept the BT1517 hardware hex screw. The rail was then installed and compressed with the T-nut screws. I don't bother with adhesive because (1) I do not believe it is in any way necessary, and (2) I want to have the ability to remount the second swivel stud if for some reason I would ever want to do so.

Here is a top view (front of stock is right):

Hole.jpg

Here is the rail (the remaining swivel stud is to the left, not shown in the photo):

Railmounted.jpg

Here is how it looks in action:

Finished.jpg

Thanks!!! The bits worked out great! Whoever needs them next, just drop me a PM and I will send them out..

BLS

IMG_4287.jpg

IMG_4288.jpg

IMG_4290.jpg

Guys I am glad I was/am able to help so many people, please keep posting the pictures and forwarding the bits.

Bob Lee,Can you send those bits my way?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Special Delivery</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bob Lee,Can you send those bits my way? </div></div>

10-4 sir! I will get them out ASAP!

Bob

It took me a couple of days because I had to wait on my 7MAG to get back from getting a new Surgeon DBM installed but here they are...
image1.jpg

image.jpg

260 Rem
photo.jpg

image4.jpg

7MAG
image5.jpg

image2.jpg

300WSM
image3.jpg

Thanks to Bob Lee Swagger for the tools. PM me if you need the bits!

They'll go out first thing in the morning!

Dls,

I know you are still waiting on them, but can you send them my way way when you're done? I need to help a friend set up his new A5. Thanks!

Received Today

Nauta

Sure thing
PM with your address

Thanks
Darryl

Finished tonight

427Cobra thanks for kicking this off

Special Delivery thanks for getting counterbore & pilot to me so quickly

Nauta they will be coming your way on Wednesday

Good Luck

Dls,
Thanks for the quick turnaround. I'll try to do the same for whoever needs them next.

Received them today. Thanks, Darryl and Cobra. I should be able to send them out Monday if anyone else needs them.

Let me first say thank you to 427Cobra for starting this thread and paying it forward with the drill bits.

Are they still floating around? I've got a new rifle I'd like to install these on...

PM me your address and I'll send them next week.

Tag

I'm trying to sort through this post to see if I will need to drill. My rifle has the 2 sling studs already on the foregrip but I'd like to have one exposed so that i can still use it for a sling.

I see only one person on here that did that but it looks like he still had to drill even though he had 2 existing studs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maelek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tag

I'm trying to sort through this post to see if I will need to drill. My rifle has the 2 sling studs already on the foregrip but I'd like to have one exposed so that i can still use it for a sling.

I see only one person on here that did that but it looks like he still had to drill even though he had 2 existing studs. </div></div>

The rail mounts are secured with 2 bolts and fastners. If you are still wanting to keep at least one sling stud then you WILL have to drill another hole.

I received the tools, thanks nauta. I'll be done with them in a week or so if anyone needs them.

I'd like to use them next, if nobody else has asked to after Stephen is finished with them. Just ordered a rail section and hardware from Triad.

Can i be next in line foe the tools

Thanks

Will

Does anyone where I can pick up a 2 or 3 inch piece of rail with two flat bottom screw holes? And the rail bottom needs to be flat. I have the Accu-shot rail but I don't want to use it on my A5. I don't want the slot or flush cup hole on there. Anyone?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spanky99l</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can i be next in line foe the tools

Thanks

Will </div></div>

Mr. Allen you have mail with my addy attached.

Will, when I'm done I'll shoot them to you.

Thanks 427 for the awesome gesture and everybody for the imagery to help with the install, I'm sure I'll be using it next week...
whistle.gif

Everybody is more than welcome, keep the pictures coming!

I have an A5 with Dual front studs directly from McMillan, is the spacing correct to use the BT17 the way it is once I remove the studs or do I need to do something else?

I mounted a BT 17 rail for a buddy that had the two front studs and the mount fit perfectly in the two holes, not extra drilling involved. BUT, I could tell that one of the holes had been installed by a gunsmith, not Mcmillan. Since one of the screws in the mount will be able to be slid to the right spacing, I'd say yes it will work. Just get the mount before you get the bipod and try it out. My bet is that it will work fine.

I am done with the bits. The next 2 in line found other means of installing, so whoever needs them shoot me a PM. I can get them out ASAP. Pictures of finished product to follow...didn't have a camera with me during install...

I wanted to see if these bits are still available?

After talking with 427Cobra, I took the risk and installed a BT15 rail on my stock and got an Atlas Bi-pod. I thought it was going to be difficult, since my stock has a full length bedding block, and I'd have to drill and tap a new hole for the 1032 screws....using the hole for the sling stud as the other hole. Turns out it was pretty easy.

The first thing I did was, using the hole from the sling swivel stud, I loosely attached the Bi-pod and got it aligned. When I did This I decided where I wanted the rear screw to go and used a punch to mark the spot on the stock.
0211131851_zps89d9a3cf.jpg

The Next step was to drill a hole in the stock. I removed the rail and used the first hole as a gauge for the depth of the second hole and set up my drill bit
0213131523_zpsea916e0d.jpg

For the the third step I drilled the hole in the stock and tapped the hole for threads using a tap and tap wrench.
0213131524_zpscbddee15.jpg

Then, using one of my screws, I tested the newly threaded hole for fit, and it worked
0213131525_zps8a1c5454.jpg

I reinstalled the rail with the front screws and ensured alignment of the holes and the rail on the rifle.
0211131955_zps5ada8f0e.jpg

Finally In installed the last screw and installed the Bi-pod on the rifle.
0212132007_zps68a52a48.jpg

Very nicely done, thank you for sharing.

Done! Shooterman, message me your address and I'll send them ASAP.

20be78ebb79cb711cc2678d6c2b4a5d2.jpg

How do you mount your sling on the rail please?
Is the 2nd hole threaded for a flush cup?i'm waiting for my bt17 and wonder how to mount a sling on it.

Does anyone know who has the tools now? I would like to use it if possible. Thank you!!

And KUDOS to Cobra427 for being so gracious and helpful to the people at Sniper's Hide!!

I recently received my rail and Atlas from Frederick and would like to use the tools if they are still available. Anyone have an update on the availability?
thanks
Bill

Manners MCS-T stock and BT17 4” Flush Cup 1913 Rail

So I have the BT17 4” Flush Cup 1913 Rail from Frederick nicely coated but now need to mount it to my GAP Thunder Ranch. I need to purchase the screw or screws and t nuts. Does anyone know what size they are or should I just disassemble the the rifle and see what size the existing front stud is? Any other tips on this application? This is all new to me so any advise will be greatly appreciated. Does anyone know who has the the tools?
Thanks
Bill