• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Howa 1500 builds **post them**

I think your bipod is on backwards and your scope is mounted so high I'm surprised you don't have a high cheek rest on it? Lucky getting one in 7mm RM with a heavy barrel. Is it 26"? I had to go for a .300 WM instead and is 24". Its great but was really wanting a 7mm. Happy shooting.

I think your bipod is on backwards and your scope is mounted so high I'm surprised you don't have a high cheek rest on it? Lucky getting one in 7mm RM with a heavy barrel. Is it 26"? I had to go for a .300 WM instead and is 24". Its great but was really wanting a 7mm. Happy shooting.

I think his bipod is mounted right but boy can that scope get any higher haha...

Reactions: Shankin McStaby
Bipod is on right and I was raised with high scope mounts. These aren’t actually as high as they look they’re only 1.5”

received_1174608986205408.jpeg

Multicam hogue model in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Additions:

Triad cheek pad over some high density foam, with double sided velcro to hold it all in place. I use the stock pack to hold my data book, a Fix-It Sticks "replaceable version" set, a Fix-It Sticks torque indicator, and a small eyedropper bottle of CLP. I *think* I can squeeze a boresnake in there, but I'm not sure....as-is it makes a great field maintenance kit for hunting / range shooting. For matches I'll probably swap it with just a simple no-pouch cheek pad.

Area 419 10" arca rail and barricade block.

SWFA SS 3-15X42 sitting on an EGW 20 moa rail.

I just ran the first box of ammo through it last weekend. This was the final 5 rounds of factory Hornady 147 ELD after sight in with the can. Definitely shows promise:

shot_1584304308637.jpg

Last edited:
Aaaaand my other Howa (on the bag):
20200221_124627.jpg

6mm Creedmoor barreled action from Brownells. Picked up the MDT ACC chassis on sale last November. It's wearing an Athlon Midas Tac 6-24x50, and the HACT trigger has been replaced with an 8 oz Jard.. I need to get some lower rings... but so far this has made repeated hits at 1400 at Triple C.

It also shot this group a few months ago, while testing some Berger 109 loads from C4:
shot_1582941907607.jpg

Last edited:
Yep my bad on the Bipod, don't know what my eyes were telling me there. Your rail is quite high and combined with high rings it puts the scope right up there. With some of my rails/bases I only need low rings or Mediums at most. Shooting a Magnum without a decent cheek weld can't be much fun?

Got a new one folks.

Howa 1500 chambered in 7mm Rem Mag

Equipped with a Bipod, a 3-12x44 Scope, a Hogue Overmold Stock, and a Field and Stream Ammo Holder & Wrap, here’s my Deer, Elk, and Long Range rifle.

View attachment 7272798View attachment 7272799View attachment 7272800

Yep my bad on the Bipod, don't know what my eyes were telling me there. Your rail is quite high and combined with high rings it puts the scope right up there. With some of my rails/bases I only need low rings or Mediums at most. Shooting a Magnum without a decent cheek weld can't be much fun?
As well as this I also grew up with instead of looking through my right eye with my right cheek rested on the comb, I looked through my left eye with my right cheek on the comb, because it felt the most comfortable with the high mounts, and I can shoot with my off eye open, because that's what my dad taught me to do. It sounds a little wonky but it's comfortable and my eye relief is perfect with the way i shoot.

Reactions: Mr.Sparkle
Whatever works for you or anyone is all good. We've all got our own quirks to contend with. Mine is a stronger prescription needed for my right eye and being right eye dominant means when shooting shotguns I need a sight blinder foresight to be able to maintain R eye dominance. Scopes are no problem. I also need to lengthen most rifle stocks because I have a 15" length of pull! Horses for courses. Happy shooting.

Also the gun does not kick at all. I had a .30-06 Howa 1500 but it was like 20 years old and my dad put a Boyds Classic Stock on it which makes it kick badly because of the recoil pad and the stock didn't fit me really well. This 7mm Rem Mag with 175 grain hot loads hurts less than a 165 grain factory loaded bullet on that .30-06.

My 2x 30-06's I found kick like horny mules. I've put a muzzle brake on my target one the other is my M1903A1 Springfield. The recoil charts have it right up there nearly as high as the .300WM. Having not owned a 7mm RM I didn't know what it kicks like. Having shot the .300WM of the bench at my local range I'm glad it has a brake too. The other day the light shade above me in my range booth fell down on top of me because of the muzzle blast of the .300WM. I'm sure the fellow shooters on either side were wishing they had been placed elsewhere.

Reactions: shanejohnson2002
Got my Mini Action in 6.5 Grendel into my new chassis today. It is the Southern Cross Small Arms TSP-X. Feels very solid and went together easy as you like.
I also attached an MDT Arca Swiss 7" rail on the fore end. Just waiting on another set of rings so I can put my Diamondback Tactical scope on and swap this one back to the 204.

Attachments

• IMG20200323170505_compress38_resize_15.jpg
    IMG20200323170505_compress38_resize_15.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG20200323172316_compress83_resize_49.jpg
    IMG20200323172316_compress83_resize_49.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG20200323171819_compress5_resize_5.jpg
    IMG20200323171819_compress5_resize_5.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 160
Quick plug for anyone interested:

Aftermarket triggers.

I put an 8oz Jard on my 6mm pictured above, and holy cow it's awesome. 8oz is a little light for most applications, but I'm trying to shoot free-recoil PRS style...and it seems most pros have their triggers right around that same weight.

My 6.5 still wears the factory trigger. It's tuned as light as safely possible at around 2.5 lbs total. So I am directly comparing it to the factory setup.

If you're looking for a trigger upgrade for your 1500, based on my sample of one, Jard is a fine way to go. The factory is pretty nice, though....probably the best (if not only) factory 2-stage you'll find in the price range of most Howas.

Ready to Zero! Finally got my first ELR rifle put together after scrounging hand-me-down parts and online sales. Was my hunting rifle for over 25 yrs.

Components: Weatherby Vanguard (Howa) 24" 7mm Rem Mag; original dual adj trigger; MDT chassis; Ergo grip; Magpul bipod; Luth-AR MBA3 stock; Vortex Strike Eagle 4-24x50 on 20 MOA rail; muzzle brake from Witt Machine.
VanguardHowa 7RM ELR.jpg

Cheers,
Red

how'd the stock workout for you? did you remove material and re-bed for a perfect mate?
I just got it today and haven't removed any material..........yet.
Doesn't look like it's going to be plug and play, could be wrong though. Looks like my bottom metal is a little proud of the stock.
But pretty sure it setting on the pillars, shooting it will ultimately be the answer to the question.

Reactions: stello1001
Looked at the "for sale" pics and his bottom metal was "proud" also, so maybe we are a go. I slid it down in the stock
And I shook it fore and aft and no movement, I know that doesn't mean much but made me feel a little better. If if shoots well enough I will obviously leave it alone.

Glad it's working for you so far. The bottom metal on mine protruded a bit too. If it doesn't bother you it shouldn't cause an issue with loading or feeding, at least it never did for me. I swapped to a bravo and kind of miss the internal mag.

Didn't I tell ya the bed job was ugly?

It really is a nice looking stock and I almost bought it. However, I've been wanting one in grey laminate for the very longest time and I know if I got this orange one, I was always going to still have the itch for the grey one.

The pro varmint has always been a really nice looking stock. It'll turn a Tupperware gun into a very fashionable gun...

Here’s my current setup:
Howa 1500 .308 20” barreled action
Witt machine clamp-on brake
Bell & Carlson medalist 2 with
Matthew’s fabrication cheek riser
Viper PST 6-24x50
Talley 20 moa railView attachment 7196745
Here she is now in 6.5 creedmoor
26” McGowan prefit
XLR Element chassis
Insite heathen brake
7BC83DD1-D1DF-4675-A891-270663EFBF94.jpeg

Last edited:

Homemade. It's for sale, comes with a chassis.
I already order the chassis ot arrived this morning

223 mini with athlon helps 6-24x50 warne 20 moa base I think the rings are wever( they have been on a few things)
Hopefully I can make it to the range tomorrow

Attachments

• 15932768973512258479824073551303.jpg
    15932768973512258479824073551303.jpg
    455.8 KB · Views: 157
Reactions: stilesg57
Howa 1500
Criterion Barrel 6.5CM 1:8T 26"
ThunderBeast CB Brake (for Ultra 9 can)
Bighorn Barrel nut system,
Manners T4A Stock,
Timney Trigger (forget which model),
DBM from Manners,
NightForce ATACR 7-35x plus NF Rings
EGW 20MOA Rail

Action is 3 years old and just rebarreled this season with new prefit from Criterion. Great system! The load below is a factory ammo clone that I use for practice. Holds .5moa or just under nearly every outing. The 10 shot group CB and second shot are know to be at 1 and 10 consistently with this load.

Bottom picture Berger VLD hunts shoot about .1-.2 better than the ELD 140s shown.
View attachment 6939314
View attachment 6939318
View attachment 6939319
View attachment 6939324
View attachment 6939337
Picture above: 3 shot zero test Berger VLD Hunt and on right is 3shot 140ELDM. Berger's are used for matches and they hold .3-.4 over 5 shots and sub .5-.6 for 10shots.
How difficult was it to remove that barrel? Any tips?

These barrels are quite hard to remove. If you have a barrel vide and an action wrench it can be a bit rough.

I made some clamps at my shop. Even with these it was a pain. In a bit of frustration I smacked the wrench with a mallet and things loosened up.

The sunshade is tad smaller than the objective lens. Needed some duck tape for the cover to fit snug on the sun shade. Spend the money and wont buy another scope cap.

Has anyone tried a law tactical folder on the HCR chassis? I’m curious if it would work. That would be a slick setup for my 18.5” barrel

Has anyone tried a law tactical folder on the HCR chassis? I’m curious if it would work. That would be a slick setup for my 18.5” barrel
Save a little money and just get the SB Tactical folding adapter.

Will be getting my Howa back Today/tomorrow with a new Trueflight 27” 6.5 1:7.5tw med-Palma barrel fitted.
Has been configured to run as a switch barrel with the original factory .308 barrel.

Very excited:p

forgot to mention chambering will be .260Rem

How difficult was it to remove that barrel? Any tips?
Get a SOLID barrel vise and action wrench for the Howa. It should spin off with a bit of elbow grease. I ended up clamping action in vice and using a pipe wrench and cheater to break mine free.

Yours may come off easier or harder. But once off, it was great to use the barrel nut to re-barrel with a criterion using tools I had plus a new go gauge.

Aaaaand my other Howa (on the bag):
View attachment 7275640

6mm Creedmoor barreled action from Brownells. Picked up the MDT ACC chassis on sale last November. It's wearing an Athlon Midas Tac 6-24x50, and the HACT trigger has been replaced with an 8 oz Jard.. I need to get some lower rings... but so far this has made repeated hits at 1400 at Triple C.

It also shot this group a few months ago, while testing some Berger 109 loads from C4:
View attachment 7275647
you know, its not just the gun....someone has to pull the trigger. Good shootin' Tex. Great Job

Reactions: shanejohnson2002
The sunshade is tad smaller than the objective lens. Needed some duck tape for the cover to fit snug on the sun shade. Spend the money and wont buy another scope cap.

Makes sense. Yeah, the sunshade is not flush with the scope bell. I have that same scope myself. Are you running butler creek caps? If so, do you recall what size or which model specifically you used for the ocular?
I have a BC cap on my objective but nothing on the ocular.
Thanks...

Makes sense. Yeah, the sunshade is not flush with the scope bell. I have that same scope myself. Are you running butler creek caps? If so, do you recall what size or which model specifically you used for the ocular?
I have a BC cap on my objective but nothing on the ocular.
Thanks...
Im sorry but it has been so long that I forgot. I do remember that the cap I used is actually one of butler creeks objective caps. This scope have such a large housing at the ocular lens I was able to get away with getting another objective cap and it worked.

Ended up giving my Howa 6.5 Creed a birthday. Went to the smith for a bit of work:
-turned down firing pin and bush bolt face
-oversized bolt knob
-oversized scope rail screws
-IBI 6mm 7.5T M24 barrel in 6BR
-microslick cerakote bolt body
Turned out way better than I expected and it’s a hammer with 108ELDs. Will be my PRS match rifle until my Defiance Ruckus arrives.

Attachments

• E0CEAB6E-C251-4577-B908-6740631D1749.jpeg
    E0CEAB6E-C251-4577-B908-6740631D1749.jpeg
    464.4 KB · Views: 459
  • 04E0E63C-F400-48AA-A964-17E37E5E24D3.jpeg
    04E0E63C-F400-48AA-A964-17E37E5E24D3.jpeg
    288.8 KB · Views: 362
My budget build:
- .308 short action
- 24" heavy barrel
- Bell and Carlson tactical stock
- Athlon Argos BTR 6 - 24 x 50 scope with Weaver rings (purchased used from a Hide member)
- Detachable magazine conversion kit (also used from a Hide member)
- Extra bipod from the back of the safe

Barreled action and stock were both purchased on sale, so the overall build was ridiculously inexpensive. Shoots really well with 168gr hand-loads.

Howa.jpg

My budget build:
- .308 short action
- 24" heavy barrel
- Bell and Carlson tactical stock
- Athlon Argos BTR 6 - 24 x 50 scope with Weaver rings (purchased used from a Hide member)
- Detachable magazine conversion kit (also used from a Hide member)
- Extra bipod from the back of the safe

Barreled action and stock were both purchased on sale, so the overall build was ridiculously inexpensive. Shoots really well with 168gr hand-loads.

View attachment 7392540
Pretty much the same as my first build except mine was FDE. Theses barreled actions are so good it makes me wanna build another one. Happy shooting 👍🏼