• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Howa 1500 builds **post them**

Heavy threaded barrel with an SRT Shadow XL can, ESS chassis with GG&G bipod, AMD QR on an MDT 20 rail with the Brownells 5-25 MPO.
B90B213D-2D17-4097-AE04-226B3D50F858.jpeg

It's a little longer, about 19 1/4 to the end of the threading.- I'm not the original owner of the barreled action, think the first owner might have had it cut down and threaded hinmself.

Reactions: stello1001
FYI, as of this minute "Tactical Works" has 19 of their clamp-on bolt knobs in stock.
They finally emailed me, and I've been on their list for notification when they got them back in stock for so long I had about given up.

@BurnOut Who did the bolt knob? I finally have a mini in .223 coming my way. The bolt knob is one of the first things I want to get done.
A local 'smith in Royse City, TX named Penty Wheeler did that one; might be able to find him on Facebook (I got to him via word of mouth). Also, LRI does them now.

@BurnOut Who did the bolt knob? I finally have a mini in .223 coming my way. The bolt knob is one of the first things I want to get done.
AD Custom Arms does Howa knobs and The Polished Knob does as well.

I have a Howa mini that the Polished Knob did for me - all is well. I have also had knobs done by LRI and AD Custom Arms. All experiences were positive and all quality work.

Here is mine.

Howa 1500
Preferred Heavy Palma Howage Barrel 1/8 twist
KRG Bravo with arca rail
wiebad pad
harris bipod
ken farrell base
American defence mount
Vortex Strike eagle 5-25
jard trigger
Area 419 3 port

Attachments

• howa 6.5.jpg
    howa 6.5.jpg
    594.2 KB · Views: 217
Here is mine.

Howa 1500
Preferred Heavy Palma Howage Barrel 1/8 twist
KRG Bravo with arca rail
wiebad pad
harris bipod
ken farrell base
American defence mount
Vortex Strike eagle 5-25
jard trigger
Area 419 3 port

I thought the HACT trigger with Gunbloke Benchrest kit was good (and it is with an ~1lb pull), but the Jard is amazing!

I just got my Jard trigger last week and have only put a 100rds down range with it... but hot damn! I ordered the 6-8oz version, and it has delivered as promised, mine is somewhere between 8-6oz (light enough where my Wheeler trigger-pull measuring tool can't measure it) and is every bit as good as any Trigger Tech Diamond I've felt... Yeah, I will kind of miss the second-stage goodness, but getting used to the single-stage Jard is overall well worth the trade off.

The other day I was hammering an IPSC at 1000yrds off of a wobbly barricade, making impacts I had no business making (and that I couldn't make any near as consistently before with my old trigger). If you dig the Howa, and are looking for a trigger that's comparable to what the 700-clone guys get to run, the Jard is worth a hard look IMO.

(FYI/FWIW the Jard lightened up bolt-lift on cocking a little bit too, in case anyone is wondering...)

Also, just to mention: shot a match a few weeks back and the Howa got all kinds of attention, there where some cool ass $$$ rifles there too: fully tricked Impact/MCS-TCS, Sako TRG, etc/you name it... more than a couple of the guys couldn't believe how rad the Howa was even though my whole rig cost me less than a 1/4 of most of the rifles there. I told the guys that even though I can afford to buy anything out there, I plan to shoot the Howa until I either: win or pick something more fancy up off a prize table, or it holds me back and shows me I need to upgrade, but I hadn't found any reason to get anything else yet... one of the guys said "you might never need to".

tempImagecdSpFK.png

Last edited:
Recently joined new member here. 10 years on another gun forum, but life has pushed me towards precision and long range, so here I am.

I also recently picked up a used Howa 1500 in .308, sitting in a KRG Bravo chassis. I really like the factory 2-stage trigger on this one and LOVE the Bravo. I added my suppressor mount and put together some initial groups at 100 yards that I'm quite pleased with using my can (Sig SRD762TI-QD). This rifle cost me half what I was gonna spend on a Bergara, so I really can't complain at all. I've always been pleased with a factory rifle that shoots 1 moa using factory ammo.

The scope is a Bushnell XRSII 4.5-30x50 with a H59 reticle in EGW rings on a 20moa rail. The KRG minimalist spigot and Atlas bipod were added by me also. The previous owner barely got past the break in period with the barrel, so I'm hopeful group size will improve. My plan is to get dope on the rifle to 300 at my local range and then head an hour north and shoot to 1000 this year. Never done that before.

Enough talk, picture time. :)

(fair warning, I like to post pictures of targets, good or bad)

20210604_205323.jpg

20210530_184232.jpg

20210530_184215.jpg

This rifle has serious potential. With practice there is definite room for improvement. The rifle is capable, the shooter is getting there, slowly but surely.

20210712_081801.jpg

My budget build:
- .308 short action
- 24" heavy barrel
- Bell and Carlson tactical stock
- Athlon Argos BTR 6 - 24 x 50 scope with Weaver rings (purchased used from a Hide member)
- Detachable magazine conversion kit (also used from a Hide member)
- Extra bipod from the back of the safe

Barreled action and stock were both purchased on sale, so the overall build was ridiculously inexpensive. Shoots really well with 168gr hand-loads.

View attachment 7392540
I have a similar setup built off a Brownells sale barreled action. What seating depth do you find it likes that fits in those legacy sports mags?

Reactions: 1500varmint
I have a weatherby vanguard 300winmag action that will live in an MDT LSS-XL. It's the 26 inch sporter barrel, I had a compact brake fitted, so we will see how that goes. 40MOA rail, 4.5-27 power 50mm objective scopes will have a little bit of wiggle room for 100 yard zero and should allow holdover for a mile. Vertical grip and a few spare magazines. I'm curious to see how far out I can seat the heavy projectiles, factory rounds leave a lot of space in the magazines.

I have a similar setup built off a Brownells sale barreled action. What seating depth do you find it likes that fits in those legacy sports mags?

The seating on my 2 most common handloads are 2.800, and 2.815 and both cycle without issue.

With that said, I just took a look and there doesn't appear to be a whole lot of extra room in the mag, so anyting longer might be an issue.

308.jpeg

Last edited:
You've prolly repainted the rifle by now, I thought it worth mentioning that, although you might not have liked the colour scheme, IMHO, that camo is the most effective I think I've ever seen in breaking up the outline of the rifle.
Those two colours applied in that way are so effective at confusing the eye.
If you were to lay that rifle in the scrub & forget where you left it, you'd have a hard time finding it again.
You may not have liked the paint job but, it was damn effective.

Going to hopefully pick up the Howa American Flag Chassis sometime this week.

Not a fan of the Flag being plastered on things to sell them, but looks like a solid rifle and me and my son can start shooting within a week.

Can always upgrade the scope and bipod later.

The KRG is pretty heavy for a hunting rifle. The B&C composite with alloy bedding block are much lighter. Unless you’re switching from two stage to single stage trigger the HACT triggers when lightened with a spring kit are as good as a Timney IMO. I’ve lightened four, easy to do and can see how on YouTube. I also own Timneys, Jewel, Triggertech, etc. and unless your trying to tune it down really, really light there’s absolutely no advantage and a hunting trigger probably shouldn’t be that light anyway?!

Reactions: SpringThom
Thank you.

What stock(s) are you running on your Howa's?
My .223 is in a Boyd’s Thumbhole laminate. My 6.5CM is in a MDT ESS chassis for long range and PRS. My 6CM is in a KRG Bravo for PRS. My .300 Win Mag is in an LSS-XL MDT chassis with Magpul PRS stock and MDT grip. Bought one in a B&C Hunting/Varmint Style stock and was quite impressed by the weight and quality for the price they go for but I didn’t buy it to hunt with and sold it on.

Reactions: SpringThom
Does it count if the trigger interface is similar to a Howa?

👀👀👀
Well imitation is said to be the highest form of flattery :ROFLMAO:
I believe that is an aftermarket trigger to suit Howa, that you fine Gents are using.
As well as a flat bottom action.

So who will be the first to put a Howa HACT trigger in their Hoplite ??

Keep up the good work, (I actually joined this forum to ask a question about your rifle)

Here is my new Howa bulld. Howa mini action in 6.5 Grendel with a Trybe defense chassis and Vortex scope. Factory barrel is a shooter for sure. Groups are at 100 yards.

Attachments

• B2DE95AA-C277-4775-B28F-4874E9D1F3DA.jpeg
    B2DE95AA-C277-4775-B28F-4874E9D1F3DA.jpeg
    339.5 KB · Views: 138
  • 30EA6E5A-502C-4B3A-9B7A-79FD0197DEDF.jpeg
    30EA6E5A-502C-4B3A-9B7A-79FD0197DEDF.jpeg
    291 KB · Views: 132
  • 63902CD3-8B4E-43E5-9CCD-09A928C613EB.jpeg
    63902CD3-8B4E-43E5-9CCD-09A928C613EB.jpeg
    454.5 KB · Views: 116
  • CD00C155-F757-48E4-8874-6D6CD7DB2CEA.jpeg
    CD00C155-F757-48E4-8874-6D6CD7DB2CEA.jpeg
    468.1 KB · Views: 142
  • 3FE4559C-7D84-4223-BA47-E4EE0262AFE1.jpeg
    3FE4559C-7D84-4223-BA47-E4EE0262AFE1.jpeg
    421.1 KB · Views: 153
After your testing, I don't think there is any reason for me to look for any aftermarket trigger other than the Timney.

I will be interested to see how your own trigger evolves.

My apologies. ‘‘Twas a bad joke.

Our rifle works with triggers that fit howa/vanguard.

Guys,

Have any of you ever seen a howa that looks like the below pictures?

These pictures are not mine and I am in no way claiming ownership, etc. I am just curious because this was posted for sale as a Howa but looks different than a model 1500.

Howa pic 3.jpg
howa pic 1.jpg
Howa pic 2.jpg

The bolt handle itself does indeed look exactly like the one on my m1500...

Guys,

These pictures are not mine and I am in no way claiming ownership, etc. I am just curious because this was posted for sale as a Howa but looks different than a model 1500.

View attachment 7785191View attachment 7785192View attachment 7785193

Yes, the action profile is the same as my 1500. As far as I'm aware, Howa used that scalloped profile on their light weight, short thin barreled versions which, I bought a couple years back. That ACC version looks exactly like my rig down to the colour.
The bolt shroud is different on the pictured rifle though. My bolt shroud is not faceted.

Last edited:
Yes, the action profile is the same as my 1500. As far as I'm aware, Howa used that scalloped profile on their light weight, short think barreled versions which, I bought a couple years back. That ACC version looks exactly like my rig down to the colour.
The bolt shroud is different on the pictured rifle though. My bolt shroud is not faceted.

Damn, this is good to know. I had no idea about this version of the 1500. It almost looks "custom" haha...

Guys,

View attachment 7785191View attachment 7785192View attachment 7785193

Here's a pic of my rifle as of today. The barrel is the standard Howa unit & won't be there for much longer.
Beginning of Feb she gets a new 308 1.125 Straight Taper 26".

Attachments

• 20220116_085132 (1).jpg
    20220116_085132 (1).jpg
    736.9 KB · Views: 93
Several years ago, PTG was advertising some of those lightweight bbl'd actions with blemished hydrodip finish on sale at $250. I ordered one in 223 and another in 22-250, so recognized the faceted action immediately. But the two I bought had hollow bolt knobs - drilled-out to save more weight - and had the standard 1500 gas shield on the bolt. Wouldn't surprise me if PTG hadn't offered the faceted gas shield at one time or another, or it could've come from another company specializing in custom bits 'n pieces for Howas. I sold the 223 action to a friend who had me barrel it with a Bartlein med Palma 1-7 blank in 223AI. I don't recall what stock we used for it - but IIRC, Wade at B&C shortened the butt to give it a comfortable LOP for my friend's 9yr old son. I like the Howas, and wouldn't mind having a source for the fancy faceted gas shield for the bolt...

How are you guys with howa mini actions doing it as far as feeding goes. I've heard the factory bottom metal and mags are so and so.

Can anybody comment on personal experience? Or does anybody know of any other aftermarket options as far as hinged floor plates or bottom metals go?

I'm trying to put together a 6.5 grendel on a mini action. The ammo availability right now and bottom metal situation are the biggest downfalls so far.

How are you guys with howa mini actions doing it as far as feeding goes. I've heard the factory bottom metal and mags are so and so.

Can anybody comment on personal experience? Or does anybody know of any other aftermarket options as far as hinged floor plates or bottom metals go?

I'm trying to put together a 6.5 grendel on a mini action. The ammo availability right now and bottom metal situation are the biggest downfalls so far.
Both DIP & Jefferson Outdoors make aluminum replacements for the plastic-not-so-fantastic factory DBMs. Jefferson also developed a BDL-style hinged floorplate for the Howa Mini, but after a quick look at their website, it appears that they've had serious enough supply chain issues to shut down production temporarily. Jefferson also has a DBM that uses CZ527 magazines, but again, the supply chain issues have forced them to suspend production for the time being. Since CZ discontinued the 527 action this past year, it's anyone's guess as to how long spare 527 magazines will be available.

I've used DIP & Jefferson DBMs on my Mini customs, and have had good results out of both, even though I'm still limited to using the rather flimsy & grossly overpriced plastic mags. Never had any issue with these mags, just not impressed with how thin-walled they are. I've re-barreled five Mini actions to this point, with Bartlein & Krieger bbl's chambered for 20 Tactical, 223AI, 22 Grendel, 6RAT, and 6.5 Grendel. I've got a reamer for the 22 Grinch, and will be using it to punch out the 22 Grendel bbl as soon as PTG gets the resize reamer to me so I can make myself a die set for it. I originally wanted to use Sako Vixen actions for rifles in these chamberings, but that's more or less a pipedream, with the cost of buying a used Sako rifles as the source of actions. And besides, I'm not crazy about tearing a Sako rifle apart just to get the action. The Mini is a substantial action, plenty strong enough for these chamberings, and the HACT 2-stage trigger can easily be modified to get the trigger break down to well under 2lbs. McMillan made me a Game Scout stock for the 6RAT rifle, which I like very much. Tom Manners had committed to building me an EH1 or EH1A for the Mini several years ago, but demands for his stocks (and likely feeding issues with the Howa mags) convinced him to reconsider. Wade Dunn at Bell & Carlson worked to come up with molds for a M40-style and sporter stocks that I like - had two of the M40 stocks on the 22 & 6.5 Grendel rifles before trying a sporter stock on the 223AI, and I now prefer the sporter stock for it's slim & trim lines. Boyds Stocks also makes laminated stocks for the Mini - I have one of their Pro-varmint models with adjustable cheekpiece on the 20 Tactical - but laminated stocks are a fair bit heavier than either B&C or McMillan stocks, especially with the addition of the adjustable cheekpiece. 1st photo shows the McMillan Game Scout 6RAT & Boyds Pro-varmint 20 Tactical. 2nd photo is the 223AI in the B&C sporter.

Attachments

• DSC_1171.JPG
    DSC_1171.JPG
    453.7 KB · Views: 512
  • DSC_0305.JPG
    DSC_0305.JPG
    773.9 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: jpop8807 and Clark

I've put several hundred rounds through my Howa .308 build with no issues from either the stock setup (no detachable magazine) or the Legacy Detachable Magazine drop in kit - https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...achable-magazine-drop-in-kits-prod130514.aspx

Full disclosure, 100% of my shooting is done at the range, not in competition or hunting, so there's not a lot of dirt/debris involved. I do shoot in all seasons, so temperature hasn't had any impact on cycling.

I recently bought a mini-action 223 and changed the bottom metal out to a D.I.P. aluminum bottom metal and installed the new mag release . I am pretty pleased with it as it changed the mag release orientation and the release spring is much tighter now . I had a mini-action in 6.5 Grendel and sold it as I hated the mag release and as my luck runs I wasn't aware I had options until after I sold the rifle .

9DaSmOL.jpg

Both DIP & Jefferson Outdoors make aluminum replacements for the plastic-not-so-fantastic factory DBMs. Jefferson also developed a BDL-style hinged floorplate for the Howa Mini, but after a quick look at their website, it appears that they've had serious enough supply chain issues to shut down production temporarily. Jefferson also has a DBM that uses CZ527 magazines, but again, the supply chain issues have forced them to suspend production for the time being. Since CZ discontinued the 527 action this past year, it's anyone's guess as to how long spare 527 magazines will be available.

I've used DIP & Jefferson DBMs on my Mini customs, and have had good results out of both, even though I'm still limited to using the rather flimsy & grossly overpriced plastic mags. Never had any issue with these mags, just not impressed with how thin-walled they are. I've re-barreled five Mini actions to this point, with Bartlein & Krieger bbl's chambered for 20 Tactical, 223AI, 22 Grendel, 6RAT, and 6.5 Grendel. I've got a reamer for the 22 Grinch, and will be using it to punch out the 22 Grendel bbl as soon as PTG gets the resize reamer to me so I can make myself a die set for it. I originally wanted to use Sako Vixen actions for rifles in these chamberings, but that's more or less a pipedream, with the cost of buying a used Sako rifles as the source of actions. And besides, I'm not crazy about tearing a Sako rifle apart just to get the action. The Mini is a substantial action, plenty strong enough for these chamberings, and the HACT 2-stage trigger can easily be modified to get the trigger break down to well under 2lbs. McMillan made me a Game Scout stock for the 6RAT rifle, which I like very much. Tom Manners had committed to building me an EH1 or EH1A for the Mini several years ago, but demands for his stocks (and likely feeding issues with the Howa mags) convinced him to reconsider. Wade Dunn at Bell & Carlson worked to come up with molds for a M40-style and sporter stocks that I like - had two of the M40 stocks on the 22 & 6.5 Grendel rifles before trying a sporter stock on the 223AI, and I now prefer the sporter stock for it's slim & trim lines. Boyds Stocks also makes laminated stocks for the Mini - I have one of their Pro-varmint models with adjustable cheekpiece on the 20 Tactical - but laminated stocks are a fair bit heavier than either B&C or McMillan stocks, especially with the addition of the adjustable cheekpiece. 1st photo shows the McMillan Game Scout 6RAT & Boyds Pro-varmint 20 Tactical. 2nd photo is the 223AI in the B&C sporter.

This is what I was looking for. Initially I was just going to buy an m40 style stock. Those come with a bedding block so you just piece the items together and you're done.

However, I'm liking the idea of using a Boyd's pro varmint. I've always wanted to use one for a build and this may be it. The only thing I don't like about it is the fact there is no bedding block. I've never bedded a stock before but I may do this one.

I recently bought a mini-action 223 and changed the bottom metal out to a D.I.P. aluminum bottom metal and installed the new mag release . I am pretty pleased with it as it changed the mag release orientation and the release spring is much tighter now . I had a mini-action in 6.5 Grendel and sold it as I hated the mag release and as my luck runs I wasn't aware I had options until after I sold the rifle .

9DaSmOL.jpg

Where did you find this one?

DIP developed the new mag catch, and still lists it on their webpage for Howa products. However, they're also showing their aluminum DBM as backordered, so apparently, the supply chain snafu is messing with them just as it is with Jefferson Outdoors. From what I've read in the "Bolt action & single shot" forum on the 6.5 grendel website, all the guys who've changed out the Howa mag latch for this DIP have had really good results with it - as in "no more dropped/lost mags". The latest Howa Mini 223 rifles I bought for their actions have a revamped plastic mag latch that works well when it comes to preventing accidental mag drops in the Jefferson Outdoors DBM, but it's almost like they went too far with re-shaping it, as I have haven't gotten used to angling the tip of my index finger down and back into the mag to release it now. OTOH, it's only been a few months since I built that rifle, and I haven't carried & used it nearly as much as those with the old original mag latch. If it doesn't become 2nd nature after a bit, I'll go ahead and spring for the DIP latch.

DIP developed the new mag catch, and still lists it on their webpage for Howa products. However, they're also showing their aluminum DBM as backordered, so apparently, the supply chain snafu is messing with them just as it is with Jefferson Outdoors. From what I've read in the "Bolt action & single shot" forum on the 6.5 grendel website, all the guys who've changed out the Howa mag latch for this DIP have had really good results with it - as in "no more dropped/lost mags". The latest Howa Mini 223 rifles I bought for their actions have a revamped plastic mag latch that works well when it comes to preventing accidental mag drops in the Jefferson Outdoors DBM, but it's almost like they went too far with re-shaping it, as I have haven't gotten used to angling the tip of my index finger down and back into the mag to release it now. OTOH, it's only been a few months since I built that rifle, and I haven't carried & used it nearly as much as those with the old original mag latch. If it doesn't become 2nd nature after a bit, I'll go ahead and spring for the DIP latch.

I really really wish I could find an internal mag or hinged floor plate. I really don't care much for external mags. Unless the external mags were AICS of course.

I'm trying to build a lightweight soft recoiling rifle to hunt small Texas deer with inside 200 yards. This howa mini fits just right for said purpose. I'm looking at putting it into a boyds pro varmint although initially I had my mind on a B&C m40 stock.

My guess is that the guys at Jefferson Outdoors are anxious to get things back on track, and will be making their BDL-style floorplate bottom metal ASAP. They've paid more attention to Mini owners' requests for this stuff than anyone else I've heard about, and have the cnc savvy to bring the parts to market, so I'm not giving up on them.