• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

howa 7.62x39

sniper81

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2010
thinking about reloading some heavy grain pills looking at sierra matchkings 174gr hp only problem is all my reloading manuals only go to 150gr so was wondering where i should start with the powder charge

thinking about reloading some heavy grain pills looking at sierra matchkings 174gr hp only problem is all my reloading manuals only go to 150gr so was wondering where i should start with the powder charge
Sniper 81 the 7.62x39 is relative small case as cases go, trying to put a 174 Gr in that case will really reduce the powder capacity. For me the 123 Gr FMJ always produced high velocities and tight groups. a 174 Gr would be a better fit in a 308 Winchester or a 303 British case .

Reactions: camocorvette
yeah was kinda wondering about the length of bullet, maybe go with a 150gr, was also looking at the lehigh defense controlled chaos bullets

yeah was kinda wondering about the length of bullet, maybe go with a 150gr, was also looking at the lehigh defense controlled chaos bullets
Also keep in mind as bullet weight goes up, so does recoil . Since your using a bolt action it will take you longer to get back on target .

Last edited:
What's your barrel twist? As mentioned above the x39 case is small. Loading a projo that large will reduce your case capacity dramatically. Thus reducing your charge weight, significantly reducing your velocity. So...

What's the plan for the loaded ammo? Just shooting to shoot? You just have those projectiles? You could probably trade them in the for sale section.

I just loaded some 156gr api and it is about the size of a 175 gr BT. Stuffing that into a AK case.. leaves me with about room for 20gr slightly compressed.

I don't have a crono ;but going off data and no pressure signs. I might be at 2000fps. Probably below.

Not ideal. Purposeful? Maybe.. But they sure are fun to bang steel with...

Reactions: Evlshnngns
Since your using a bolt action it will take you longer to get back on target .
1612879720647.png