• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes How's that Burris XTR-II working Out ?

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    So this question is coming up a lot. As many know i have access to almost the entire XTR-II, thanks to my visit to the Burris factory in Greeley CO.

Well this past week I did a class for Burris & Steiner here in CO. It was a short little train up for their office team, as way to help them understand what you the shooters are doing, seeing and needing.

We started with a 4 hour block of classroom to get everyone on the same page.
    1922399_739635796059946_7652627457331444088_n.jpg

Then we went outside on Friday to get some quality Trigger Time

10257230_739968242693368_7410291410690986775_n.jpg

14 people in the class, with everyone using a Burris or Steiner scope on the line.

The nice part, not a single issue with any scopes. Sometime when tuning people in, you'll find their scope is not performing as expected. This was not the case. All the scopes were flawless the entire day.

10314009_740199629336896_401197560225760172_n.jpg

Above is the Spartan Build, SH Edition Rifle with a Burris 5-25x on it.

10245344_798708683472579_7066522805709448990_n.jpg

Explaining the plan for the day.

10168218_798720810138033_6472474315115538967_n.jpg

Fine tuning everyone's position, especially their trigger control. I went down the line fixing any issues observed

10259066_798720583471389_2556396240446000981_n.jpg

Real wind on the range, we had an average of 13MPH with gusts around 18MPH. Made for some tricky shooting at distance, but everyone successfully connected.
    10306087_740125576010968_7816170965344453656_n.jpg

Thanks to Team Burris and Team Steiner for letting me help them with this team building exercise It was a pleasure to work with them.

The Burris scopes were definitely working this day, we had everything on the line from an HK417 to Ruger 308 semi, Savages, Sakos, including a 300WM. So the line was indeed tested and performed perfectly.

seems like the scopes are doing pretty well so far, hopefully they will beef up their customer service.

would you recommend the 5-25 Burris over the Vortex PST,Sightron SIII,and the Bushnell 6-24 scopes,,there is just no way I can jump all the way to the 1,800-2000 $$ optics,,

We had CS guys in the class so they are on board to helping address any issues.

I do like the 5-25x XTR-II over some of the similarly priced competitors. With the 34mm tube, zero stops and good elevation range, it's definitely high on the list.

no I m sorry my internet connection is fading in and out and hit refresh and it posted twice,,,sorry,,thanx for info as cash isnt worth much and hard to come by,,I really need to get this optic purchase right the first time,,,

I had to reboot computer to edit other post

Last edited:
    Good to hear about the class time they got. I'm sure it went a long way in pointing out what a lot of us are after and can only pay off for us in the long run. I appreciate it and won't be surprised if I go back to a few XTRs in the future. Seems like they're already on the right track. I really like the G2 reticles I've been using in the Bushnell line but getting the features that these XTRs have comes at a higher cost with the Bushnells. I will definitely keep these on the list for more wallet friendly options as I try to better scope some of my other rifles. Can't afford to have an ERS on all of them, not to mention the weight savings in some of the smaller XTR IIs for lighter guns. Do they offer or have plans to make a reticle similar to the G2?

There will be a new reticle I have not seen the mock up yet but I believe it is close to ready.

It it will have hold over capability with a longer lower vertical, as well have some fine graduations on the ends.

I've seen the new reticle and I like it a lot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

They will be the same. And a new MOA reticle also.

Lowlight,

When you were working with the Burris office staff, did any of the test rifles have
    the XTR-II 2-10x42 model installed? If so, how did it seem to perform?

I'm asking because I'm very interested in the 2-10x42 model for my FN PBR-XP
    .308 bolt-gun. Thanks for any info you might be able to pass along.

News i wanted to hear! I think i'm going to have to pull the trigger on one of these guys for my 300WM. Interested in the new reticle also

The ThunderBeast Steel Quest carbine division was won with a 2-10 XTR2 just a couple weeks ago by a large margin.

New reticle that will be very similar in design to the new Steiner/Burris MIL competition reticle coming out very soon.

New reticle that will be very similar in design to the new Steiner/Burris MIL competition reticle coming out very soon.

You guys should quit teasing and give us a little tidbit.. Any pics or drawings of the competition reticle

Hey Lowlight have you looked or used the 8-40x50 Burris yet or anyone else ? Looking at one for my new BR 284. How's the glass compare to let's say a Sightron, BR NF etc.

If glass is as good I may grab one up.

I have looked through the 8-40x and its pretty consistent with the line but as far as comparing it was really quick so I can't say.

I may have one, let me check if I do I will open it up and see

We will be releasing information on the new reticle named the SCR (Special Competition Reticle) in the next couple of weeks. There were quite a few people here on the hide that had a lot of influence on the reticle and although we wont please everyone I think most of you will love it. I know the guys who had a hand in its design are chomping at the bit. The new reticle will only be available in the new scope line that will also be unveiled in the next couple of weeks. Those that will be attending the snipers hide cup will be the first to see and to use both the new scope and the new reticle.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

The ThunderBeast Steel Quest carbine division was won with a 2-10 XTR2 just a couple weeks ago by a large margin.

That's because Sky is an animal haha. He could do well with a toilet paper roll and dental floss scope haha.

I was glad to see this post as I have had great luck with Burris at this scope appears to be all a NF is at a 1/3 or more less money.

I have looked through the 8-40x and its pretty consistent with the line but as far as comparing it was really quick so I can't say.

I may have one, let me check if I do I will open it up and see

Any info on that yet? I am literally waiting for your comparison to order one of these?

I am using the 8-40 on my F-Open rig and love it.
    Scope will be moved to a specialty pistol for 2K+ prairie dog goal in mid-June.

Last edited:
    Where did you find yours xphunter? I'm anxious to buy. Can you give us your impression of the image quality?.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Where did you find yours xphunter? I'm anxious to buy. Can you give us your impression of the image quality?.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

You could say it found me.
    I haven't done comparisons yet. I really like the glass, the reticle, the turrets, etc.
    I am going to have a real good sense of it after using it in the field from out to 1k+ on my F-Open rig.
    I will be using it for prairie dogs out to and past 2K.
    I have a number of scopes I could use and this is the one I want to use.
    I will be using it in a steel field match.
    All of this will be done in the next 6 weeks.
    I expected I would have had more time with it, but some health issues set me back pretty hard for over 6 months, and I have been playing catch up in all areas (including shooting).

Some time in the field with it.
    There was 6 guys out there yesterday having a good time at distance. Two of the guys were from Montana-Good meeting you guys.
    This is the 8-40 XTR-II.
    Ran a 100 rounds through my F-Open rifle yesterday with this scope. Light loaded 284 Win, with 180 Hybrids.
    Got it zeroed at 100 yards, and then started working my way out.
    Have you ever went to the range and realize you left your drop chart at home? (Grrr!)
    Some technology no my iPhone helped me out.
    I shot out to 1000 yards, but really was just trying to get used to the scope.
    Really like the reticle and the turrets. I like how they mark the turrets.

I also used the XTR to make wind calls for a guy shooting his 338 Lapua Improved at 2073 yards.
    I shot his rifle later on at the same distance with success-different topic/different scope.
    I had my wind down (shooting at that distance already) and I decided to put 10 shots at 800 yards.
    Good conditions, NEO Rest, stupid accurate rifle, and a really nice scope.

Last edited:
    Nice Shooting! Thanks for the update. How did the glass compare to whatever was on the 338imp?

I called Burris yesterday and the CS guy told me they were shipping around 500 8x40s to vendors on Wednesday. He said if I already had an order standing that it would probably get filled with this batch. I took the chance and placed an order after I got off the phone with them.

I seem to be a minority, but I'm looking forward to having a higher mag ffp for f-open.

I only shot the 338 Imp like 4 times, maybe 5 times @ 2073 yards (NXS 8-32).
    The distances and the time behind the gun where really lopsided.
    I just got off the phone with one of the guys who was with me and he was using my 8-40 to spot @ 2073 and he loved it.
    Jeremy (shooting partner of the owner of the 338) decided he wanted a 5-25 XTR-II after seeing mine compared to other options he was considering.

Lowlight , do you have any information regarding when a MOA reticle will be offered for the 5x25 ?
    Thanks !

xphunter, having used your scope for a while what's your opinion on the durability and build quality with this line?