• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

hs precision worst stock ever

Re: hs precision worst stock ever

I wouldn't give HS a red cent. I have seen numerous HS stocks with loose swivel studs and have seen them break away from the stock. This was on work rifles and also on one that I owned personnaly. I called HS and spoke to Donny who said the problem was screwing steel swivel studs into aluminum. I asked if they are doing anything to rectify the issue and he said they were no planning to.

If there is known issue it should be rectified without hesitation, especialy when alot of these stocks are used during operations whether it be mil or le.One one these incidents was during a deployment. The end result could have been less than desirable.

I also brought it up to him at the last SHOT and he was too busy. I checked all the stocks on display they had there and at least 3/4 has loose studs. That is horseshit in my opinion from an alledgedly reputable stockmaker.

I am in the process of getting a Savage #12LRPV - 6.5Creedmore.
when i get the chash saved up, it's going to be sitting atop an XLR. Hopefully the HS will last long enough. At least it's GA heat here, not the desert.

You must have had a defective stock. I have a Sav .308 with the HS stock and leave it in my SUV in the hot Florida sun several times a month for over 3 years of owning it and have never had a problem. I do cover the gun.

It is hard to believe that a stock cannot stand up to a 120 degrees - that's nothing. The temperature in the sun inside the vehicle much has exceeded 120 or you got a lemon of a stock. Kinda sucks either way.

what you would think even a defective stock they would take care of it and yet they know there's a problem but still won't warranty it but savage will

I read through most of the posts but didn't really find my answer. If this were a factory part on a Savage gun, I would assume the warranty would be through Savage and not HS? Or at least thats where I would start.

And just for the record I own 2 HS stocks, one PST012 and a factory 5r, never had any problems and the quality is what I would expect for the price range. And yes I know they are not McMillan or Manners, but I throughly enjoy my budget stocks.

The issue was the stock was subjected to conditions outside its design parameters. We are not talking about 125 degrees on the outside of the car, we are talking about the temperature that is trapped inside the vehicle after sitting in 125 degree weather for 8 hours, with no air circulating, which would be considerably hotter.

If I drive my car into a another vehicle, its not a defect in the fender that it dents. I certainly couldn't complain to Chevy that their fender dented when I ran into another car, even though I only was going 5 mph.

We only have one side of the story and based on what I read, the fault lies with the gunowner. The fact is there are more HSP stocks on US LE/Military sniper rifles than there are of any other brand combined. That doesn't make them the best, but they are far from the worst. I stated earlier I have used many HSP stocks and they have all performed well. They are not industructable but they take a lot of abuse. If they didn't, they wouldn't be as widely used in LE/Mil circles. When you look at cost, weight, performance and durability, they represent a very good bang for the buck.

I just ordered a HSP stock to build a clone matching the M24 I currently am carrying overseas. Its a lot hotter here than 125 degrees and I haven't witnessed any issues with them.

I am glad that Savage replaced the OP's stock, but I don't buy that it was a manufacture's defect, any more than it would be if the rifle was in a closet in a house that burned down. The fact is it was subjected to considerably hotter temperatures than it was intended to be by the maker.

I have delt with Don on numerous occasions and he has never made me feel like he was too busy for me and I have always been happy with HSP's customer service, even when I returned a DBM system, I had just bought. They gave me my money back and were very nice. I can't help but think there is more to the situation than has been said, but based on what has been said, I don't see how it would be up to Savage or HSP to replace the OP's stock because the OP subjected it to conditions it wasn't designed for.

I am sure the Israelis were bitching because this stock "failed" as well.
voxys9.jpg

They probably stopped buying them as they are known for having quality military equipment and have a reputation to mantain. HSP makes a great stock or so many LE/Mil organizations wouldn't use it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Driftwood</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> HSP makes a great stock or so many LE/Mil organizations wouldn't use it. </div></div>

Thats a bit of a leap there.

Marketing and pricing has more to do with it than anything else.

HS Precision can kiss my chocolate starfish.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lofty</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Driftwood</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> HSP makes a great stock or so many LE/Mil organizations wouldn't use it. </div></div>

Thats a bit of a leap there.

Marketing and pricing has more to do with it than anything else.

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Driftwood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
They are not industructable but they take a lot of abuse. If they didn't, they wouldn't be as widely used in LE/Mil circles. When you look at cost, weight, performance and durability, they represent a very good bang for the buck. </div></div>

I think Price for Performance <span style="font-weight: bold">IS</span> their marketing. If the stocks didn't perform, they wouldn't sell.

No problem! Just get some grey tape (100 mph type), tape that dude up and shoot Xs with it!!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Driftwood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The issue was the stock was subjected to conditions outside its design parameters. We are not talking about 125 degrees on the outside of the car, we are talking about the temperature that is trapped inside the vehicle after sitting in 125 degree weather for 8 hours, with no air circulating, which would be considerably hotter.

If I drive my car into a another vehicle, its not a defect in the fender that it dents. I certainly couldn't complain to Chevy that their fender dented when I ran into another car, even though I only was going 5 mph.

We only have one side of the story and based on what I read, the fault lies with the gunowner. The fact is there are more HSP stocks on US LE/Military sniper rifles than there are of any other brand combined. That doesn't make them the best, but they are far from the worst. I stated earlier I have used many HSP stocks and they have all performed well. They are not industructable but they take a lot of abuse. If they didn't, they wouldn't be as widely used in LE/Mil circles. When you look at cost, weight, performance and durability, they represent a very good bang for the buck.

I just ordered a HSP stock to build a clone matching the M24 I currently am carrying overseas. Its a lot hotter here than 125 degrees and I haven't witnessed any issues with them.

I am glad that Savage replaced the OP's stock, but I don't buy that it was a manufacture's defect, any more than it would be if the rifle was in a closet in a house that burned down. The fact is it was subjected to considerably hotter temperatures than it was intended to be by the maker.

I have delt with Don on numerous occasions and he has never made me feel like he was too busy for me and I have always been happy with HSP's customer service, even when I returned a DBM system, I had just bought. They gave me my money back and were very nice. I can't help but think there is more to the situation than has been said, but based on what has been said, I don't see how it would be up to Savage or HSP to replace the OP's stock because the OP subjected it to conditions it wasn't designed for.

I am sure the Israelis were bitching because this stock "failed" as well.
voxys9.jpg

They probably stopped buying them as they are known for having quality military equipment and have a reputation to mantain. HSP makes a great stock or so many LE/Mil organizations wouldn't use it. </div></div>

I see your side but as far as I know and may be wrong military and civi stocks are different and if anyone on the hide works for hs please comment the facts are yes I left it in vehicle 100 percent my fault no excuses there was another rifle with another stock no probs with it called hs they laughed yes literally laughed said oh well it cooked and said it isn't uncommon it does happen they are aware of it but isn't a manufacture defect how is that possible yet savage is sending me a new one saying it is a defect poor customer service is all I can say

I can understand being pissed that your stock puked, but is possible that Savage set the specs for the fill? I'm not sayin, I'm asking.

FYI, if you tighten your sling studs too much you can also crack the stock around the stud.

I was up at a local gun shop and they had a HS Precision Savage in there for warranty work with the same problem. I was speaking with a friend of mine who was working on the Savage and he describe the same story that CVC has described. He said that it is the first one they have gotten in like this. The owner of this gun left it in the vehicle while at work and was intending on shooting after work.

That's all I am trying to say when u buy a rifle that has hs precision on it you buy feeling a confidence in the name the brand you put faith in that not if you leave it in the vehicle its gonna split like a over ripe banana and then told oh well so sorry but we will sell you another stock if you want if you know its a bad product don't sell it if you know its bad and has happened before warranty it don't laugh and try and sell me another one that's bull and I was hoping someone on the hide was from hs to comment sorry to rant but hs has left a bad taste and they will never get my money or recommendation ever

I know just the feeling, had a similar situation myself recently with Leupold.

It is painfully apparant that the "customer" has been deleted from customer service at most companies.

We typically do not build on HS or B&C stocks for a few reasons. Mainly if we need to do some custom stock work, we cannot really "dig" into the stock. The outer shell is the key to a lot of the stocks strength, so if we compromise the outer shell, then we have compromised the integrity of the stock.

On Manners and most McMillan stocks, we can take a file or endmill anywhere on the stock, we can fill it back and and repaint. You just cant do that with the HS and B&C stocks.

Mark

As with everything else, you get what you pay for. You want the best, Buy a Mannors or McMillan. If your happy with a stock that is available at a much cheaper price, thats fine. There is an application for both. Just don't expect to get true quailty for a bargin price. Its not going to happen. Everyboby likes what they have on their rifle. and lots of folks will defend or justify that the HS stocks are great stocks. Compaired to what??? If you own one and are happy with it Great. But it is obvious there are problems with them in certian conditions. Dont think that because they are on some Mil/LEO rifles that makes them far better that the others out there. Often times money available is what drives decisions for contracts at that level, not best quality. If you love your HS stock, thats great. just understand it is a simple afforadable replacement for a wooden farctory stock and nothing more. your not gonna slap an HS stock on a factory rifle and magically turn your gun into a shooter. If you want Quality you have to pay for it. JMO.

So I'm still pretty new at this but I'm wondering why the HS and BC's are compared only to Manners and McMillan in the price range. Is it because of the traditional form factor? In looking for a stock for my entry level comp rig I have gone around the block and keep coming back to a Mcrees Precision stock. Not terrible on weight, lots of adjustability, solid chassis, good price (no bedding expense), durable, good customer service, folding option and great reputation. So is there a perceived difference between a 'stock' and a 'chassis system' like Mcree or AI?

I have a mcree stock on my 308 Remington aac and one on my 6.5 creedmore they are more expensive than a hs stock and BC but well worth it if you are able go with chassis system

Right but LESS expensive than a Manners or McMillan by a long shot when you consider the cost of bedding for someone like me who will have send it out for work.

Since H-S precision can't seem to design a product that holds up to real world use, they should man up and attach a label to every stock they sell warning the purchaser that their product will be compromised if exposed to temperatures in excess of 125 degrees F.

If these stocks turn to shit when left in the trunk of a car, it would seem to me this would be a major concern to the law enforcement community (and to manufacturers that market HSP equipped products to LE).

I have a 5r take off on my rem 700 xcr 300wsm and I have left it in the trunk of my car while at work, now I live in San Antonio TX trust me its hot I know it hit 125 or more in there and my stock has held up. I don't know maybe it was luck of the draw. I have had good experience with my HS stocks including an M24 fully adjustable also a M24 vertical grip model and 2 5r take off´s.

i can't find a gunsmith that will inlet my bdm cause i have a hs stock and they say they won't work on hs stocks. shit. i can't wait for my mcmillan..

Now still waiting on savage loo don't think I'll ever get to shoot the 338 lapua

ugh, same happened here...should have done more searching...
smirk.gif

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zmabYhjYC3M"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zmabYhjYC3M" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Duffy1298</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i can't find a gunsmith that will inlet my bdm cause i have a hs stock and they say they won't work on hs stocks. shit. i can't wait for my mcmillan.. </div></div> Talk to CDI (cdiprecisiongunworks.com) and see what he can do for you. He has some experience inletting H-S precision stocks for his bottem metal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cummins cowboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wonder if that new redesigned bottom metal is out after being promised a year ago. </div></div>

Not that bottom metal has anything to do with this thread, but I recieved delievery of my "new redesigned bottom metal" AKA Gen II in Feburary of 2011. Here are a couple links that talk about the difference...from last year.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...350#Post3476350

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...644#Post2668644

You know you can call HSP and ask them questions, like "Is the redesigned bottom metal available?" or "How can I paint my HSP stock?" They are really easy to get a hold of. It would save on some expensive experiments. Here is their contact information:

H-S PRECISION, INC.
(605) 341-3006 TEL

We have two HS stocks on our LR guns and no problems at all. They aren't the ones that comes on factory Savages so can't comment as to their quality. Just dropped the actions in these, slid the new bottom metal in, torqued them down and can't ask for anything better.

Topstrap

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cvcustoms</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what you would think even a defective stock they would take care of it and yet they know there's a problem but still won't warranty it but savage will </div></div>

would you call bosch because you had a bad injector on your brand new toyota or would you take it back to toyota?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">would you call bosch because you had a bad injector on your brand new toyota or would you take it back to toyota? </div></div>

<off-topic>

It's probably a Denso part anyways
wink.gif

</off-topic>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: E. Bryant</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">would you call bosch because you had a bad injector on your brand new toyota or would you take it back to toyota? </div></div>

<off-topic>

It's probably a Denso part anyways
wink.gif

</off-topic> </div></div>

the point was real. the oem was a joke.

I sure am glad I ordered a MCS instead of the adjustable HS i was looking at. Thats terrible how they split, but am glad you got a replacement. Just leave your truck running with the A/C going next time you're gone for 8 hours
smile.gif