• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Impact Precision Actions

Just how much work would go into modifying a KRG Bravo or XRay to work with the impact? Has anyone done it yet?
@ajv35XX it’s not much work but you do need a low profile bolt to hold the front of the trigger guard in place with the krg back bone. I can take a pic of what I did but it’s not pretty. Red beard Gunworks know exactly what is needed to make it fit and they can skim bed it too after minor inletting

Has anyone ran a curtis axiom compared to impact and can give a comparison between the two. I definitely want my next action to be smooth.

Go with Impact. They are very slick plus you get a group of guys that are “stand up”. I would rather buy from a manufacture that supports their product and will answer the phone when you call.

If the impact action gets the AW cut, will it still work ok with AICS?

Sleeplz,

Any action cut for an AW magazine has, among other things, material removed from the bottom of the receiver to allow the AW magazines to insert fully into the action. This portion that is removed is an important feature in preventing overinsertion of acis mags. So, an AW cut receiver will work with AICS magazines but the magazines will generally prevent the bolt from closing if the bottom of the magazine is contacting anything. An aics cut receiver will not allow an AW magazine to lock in due to the same feature being present.

All,

It is funny that many see such value in AW magazines. While they are a very good magazine for AI type rifles they were designed for. They are less than perfect for a remington 700 clone action. The shape of the bolt with a smaller body diameter and locking lugs at 3:00 and 9:00 prevent the AW magazine from being placed high enough to give much stripping area between the bolt nose and cartridge, and presents the cartridges lower in relation to the chamber than an aics magazine. I am sure that this is why AI designed the aics magazine for their Remington compatible chassis instead of utilizing their already available AW type magazines. While the 700 clone/AW system does work, little things like bent mag lips, dirt, Ice, gunsmith tuning savvy, manufacturing tolerance, etc. all have about half as much margin for error with the 700 clone/AW mag setup. If you look back at successful firearms designs as a whole good stripping area and presentation of cartridge close to centerline of chamber are two very important factors. This is not just in bolt guns but auto pistols, SMGs, assault rifles, and others.

I will admit that many years ago I pushed for this change in the 591. Some were made but needless to say there aren't many of those floating around with AW cuts either. Whether this is an applicable data point is your decision to make but all 10 of the top 10 shooters in the PRS last year used AICS magazines. No AW magazines.

It boils down to this choice: Will you trade a little reliability for shorter magazines and longer OAL capacity?

Sorry if I got off on a little rant tangent there.
Wade Stuteville

Agreed, also with the introduction of Ted's ARC mags there really isn't any need to want to make the switch to put up with the headache that double stack double feed introduces on 2-lug actions. When you can pretty much have that length mag in a staggered stack (if you will) single feed. They do run exceptionally well in actions designed for them though, i adore running my tempest in large part i think because of the AW mag, feeding is remarkably smooth.

I keep watching videos of the 737r i need to stop. Don't have the money but want to mess with one bad, but then might end up selling to fund one..

Those wondering about TL3 and Impact... they’re not even on the same planet.

Bolt lift and cycling - Impact
Binding (lack thereof) - Impact
Smoothness - Impact
Feeding and ejection - Impact
Reliability (in all conditions) - Impact

It’s hard not to sound like a total fanboy when it comes to these actions, and I don’t mean to put down another highly popular option. But when you hear that it’s not even close... it’s not even close.
Dragging up an old thread. Is it really that much of a wash? I'm currently looking at those two and trying to decide for a 6.5creedmoor build

yeah, but it's a different thread pattern - I run TL3s and an impact, so guess just second nature that I want that given pattern. But I have already tried to move it over without luck. I just feel much more 'surgical' and smooth with a nicely smoothed bolt knob. The radial cuts aren't my thing, but talk about a first world problem....
Do you prefer the impact over the bighorn?

Do you prefer the impact over the bighorn?

8 months later.... I still don't know man. lol. I bought the impact after the TL3s thinking i would decide between the two and sell the other, but i stopped trying to decide which one to sell. They are both fantastic actions. I have owned them all- and you are already on the right track deciding between these two. Start looking at it like, you can't choose wrong between the two.

Best way to describe it is the impact runs like a truck and the TL3 runs like a sports car IMO.

The impact lacks a bit of 'feel' that i have become accustomed to in a TL3.
The Impact is just a beef cake though. You can't bind it up, it stands up to all conditions.

IE: I was having mag feeding issues before adjusting feed lips (new mag issue not the actions)- and when running the impact - you can't necessarily feel your round feeding off the mag into the chamber like i can with a tl3. But that's just what you get with how much steel is involved on the impact action.

I think most folks would probably push you to an impact between the two of these actions, but i would say pick your (bad ass) car or truck based on your shooting style and don't worry about it. Both will never hold you back. IF you get an impact, you have to get a foundation stock though... so maybe factor that in too ;)

Dragging up an old thread. Is it really that much of a wash? I'm currently looking at those two and trying to decide for a 6.5creedmoor build

Yes, it’s really that much of a wash. I’ve had well-worn Savages that bind less than TL3s.

For me, it’s not a question. Impact every day and twice on Sunday. I guess for others, the difference could be closer. I just don’t see any situation in which I would recommend a TL3 over an Impact, regardless of price.

Reactions: jkvinyard
The TL3 is a great action, but it feels “loose” compared to the impact. Not in a bad way, and some people prefer this feel.

The impact feeds very smooth, but it doesn’t feel “loose.”

If you really want to see which one you prefer, do the Pepsi challenge.

Find a shop that has both, try them out without being able to see them.

I prefer impact, but plenty of guys are running tl3 with a lot of success.

There’s also the addition of controlled feed an swappable bolt heads, if either of those are important to you.

Rule of thumb:
If you want interchangeable bolt heads, savage thread barrels, and be able to use certain chassis that can't fit the Impact's trigger hanger without some work done, choose TL3.

If those reasons don't tickle your fancy, choose Impact for sure.

Reactions: just browsing
@Renomd I’d love to see a pic if you get a chance.

@ajv35XX it’s not much work but you do need a low profile bolt to hold the front of the trigger guard in place with the krg back bone. I can take a pic of what I did but it’s not pretty. Red beard Gunworks know exactly what is needed to make it fit and they can skim bed it too after minor inletting

@Renomd I’d love to see a pic if you get a chance.

See attached images, I bought lo profile bolts too and they only sold them in packs of 25 so if any one seriously is going to mill their backbone and wants one then let me know. I tried to show from the side just how much material I needed to remove and how deep. I don’t have proper tools.... I used a wood router and a wood cutting bit from harbor freight (yes I know it’s not proper or the safest but I don’t have accessss to machines and I don’t want to spend $1k on tools) and it tore this aluminum backbone a new asshole as u can see.

Attachments

• 05393B99-DEAC-420E-9FB9-04AC22D84F5F.jpeg
    05393B99-DEAC-420E-9FB9-04AC22D84F5F.jpeg
    521.5 KB · Views: 230
  • FDF35176-1864-4A4F-AAE9-F2745D90487B.jpeg
    FDF35176-1864-4A4F-AAE9-F2745D90487B.jpeg
    279.8 KB · Views: 237
  • F896B56D-01EF-4102-A8F9-D88FDD82EF30.jpeg
    F896B56D-01EF-4102-A8F9-D88FDD82EF30.jpeg
    280.1 KB · Views: 249
  • A0C15EA1-1443-4CD1-95D8-76DF67E54178.jpeg
    A0C15EA1-1443-4CD1-95D8-76DF67E54178.jpeg
    289.3 KB · Views: 229
Reactions: JeffLebowski
That looks pretty good considering the tools you were using. Thanks for the pics. They do a good job of showing depth.

See attached images, I bought lo profile bolts too and they only sold them in packs of 25 so if any one seriously is going to mill their backbone and wants one then let me know. I tried to show from the side just how much material I needed to remove and how deep. I don’t have proper tools.... I used a wood router and a wood cutting bit from harbor freight (yes I know it’s not proper or the safest but I don’t have accessss to machines and I don’t want to spend $1k on tools) and it tore this aluminum backbone a new asshole as u can see.

I'm looking at picking up an Impact and wanted to put it in a Whiskey 3 also, so thank you for the pictures. If you have a chance would you also post up a pick of the trigger hanger screw setup? I have yet to see it up close.

Has anyone done a comparison of the impact to the badger m2013. I know ones 90 two lug and ones 60 three lug. But I was just wondering if anyone’s tried both and compared them. Or to the Curtis vector

2 of them are 60 degs with heavy ass bolt lifts.

1 of them is a 90 deg with a buttery smooth bolt lift.

Throw angle really comes down to preference of the shooter as there are guys that prefer/shoot really well with 60s just as there are guys that prefer/shoot very well with 90s. I personally much prefer the latter.

The best piece of advice I can give is to get behind all of them and make an informed decision for yourself. Most PRS matches have guys with all 3 of these setups on any given day - keep your eye out and most of those guys will be happy to let you test/get behind them if you ask nicely.

My Impact should arrive this week :) Also here's a decent video of someone from the firm running theirs. Seems like there aren't too many videos out there of people running them. I know there are tons running them but specifically finding people running them in various stages has been a bit difficult. Like two on Impact's instagram page.

Also this one which albeit is hilarious Matt cycles that bolt pretty fast. For that one shot.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the vids, getting ready to order one myself and was curious about the ejection, m16 extractors have a habit of throwing the case up into the scope turrets.

Thanks for posting the vids, getting ready to order one myself and was curious about the ejection, m16 extractors have a habit of throwing the case up into the scope turrets.

That is not an issue here. Mine ejects softly even when ripping it back. Hits the ground a few inches out with normal cycling.

I read that the impacts eject extremely consistent can't remember who i read that from but it some along the lines that the guy didn't have to look for his brass because it was all in a little pile.

Reactions: Ripdog28
Anyone interested in a .223 impact barreled action, have one up in the PX.

One of my impacts want an AI brother. So who am I to deny?

I read that the impacts eject extremely consistent can't remember who i read that from but it some along the lines that the guy didn't have to look for his brass because it was all in a little pile.
I read that as well but I am more curious on the angle of ejection. When you get yours post up your thoughts. Just waiting on work back from Wade so I get the B/A spun up but I know this is a busy weekend for those guys?

Did not know that. Hopefully the impacts don’t have that issue

In discussions with Wade he resolved that issue in this design and it’s not a factor at all, didn’t mean for it to sound like a problem. just never seen the ejection on film. The issue I’m referring to was with my Surgeons running a 6.5 SAUM, had to had to dog ear the top part of the ejector

Anyone interested in a .223 impact barreled action, have one up in the PX.

One of my impacts want an AI brother. So who am I to deny?

Damnit where were you yesterday lol i just ordered one with a 308 bolt face.

I read that as well but I am more curious on the angle of ejection. When you get yours post up your thoughts. Just waiting on work back from Wade so I get the B/A spun up but I know this is a busy weekend for those guys?

I am as well. Though i guess none of scopes i've had have had that issue as of now least not with my Tempest which has an M16 extractor. Actually felt like i had more cases hit the turrets with my Bighorn but it could be the scope.

That is not an issue here. Mine ejects softly even when ripping it back. Hits the ground a few inches out with normal cycling.

Didn’t mean to imply that it was on the Impact I know Wade has looked in to aspects working on design. just never got to see one run on video

Damnit where were you yesterday lol i just ordered one with a 308 bolt face.

I am as well. Though i guess none of scopes i've had have had that issue as of now least not with my Tempest which has an M16 extractor. Actually felt like i had more cases hit the turrets with my Bighorn but it could be the scope.

The Tempest is at a different angle on the bolt face, my Tempest has never been an issue with it. It only presents a possible issue with 2 lugs if not design right, I think even Wade refers to this in this thread.

Reactions: 5RWill
Here's another, looks to clear it just fine.

Yes indeed, like I stated thanks for posting up the vids, much appreciated, Guess I need to what my words that I post I forget folks read to much into stuff sometimes. Thanks Will?

Reactions: 5RWill
Can someone measure the length on the ejection port of their impact action.

I asked this the other day and was given 2.5” measurement. It’s a standard 700 ejection length and NOT a medium length type similar to Defiance or Bighorn.